Edit History

KhaineGB

KhaineGB

18 minutes ago, Doctor3D said:

If there was anyway to reduce the complexity of Zombies and other entities based on how far way you were - man oh man would that go a long way. I realize it's harder to do than on static objects like blocks - but if you could make zeds have some form of LOD from distance - we'd be goin places..

I had a few ideas when messing around with Unity - I don't know the details - but I can see how on a normal dynamic entity like a zed how you can define several files for its model and texture based on whatever triggers you want. I'd use a distance - I'd make about 5 different ones. That load in and out basaed on distance. 5 diff meshes, animations, and textures for each entity - so as you pulling up - you're not loading the max resource - depending on distance - you might load just a small tex + animation file since the zed is so far away. NO way an expert in this - I am just goofin around...I just want to see the game better is all.

The non-HD zombies do have an LOD. 3 of them IIRC.

I haven't ripped the new HD ones to check if they do.

KhaineGB

KhaineGB

17 minutes ago, Doctor3D said:

If there was anyway to reduce the complexity of Zombies and other entities based on how far way you were - man oh man would that go a long way. I realize it's harder to do than on static objects like blocks - but if you could make zeds have some form of LOD from distance - we'd be goin places..

I had a few ideas when messing around with Unity - I don't know the details - but I can see how on a normal dynamic entity like a zed how you can define several files for its model and texture based on whatever triggers you want. I'd use a distance - I'd make about 5 different ones. That load in and out basaed on distance. 5 diff meshes, animations, and textures for each entity - so as you pulling up - you're not loading the max resource - depending on distance - you might load just a small tex + animation file since the zed is so far away. NO way an expert in this - I am just goofin around...I just want to see the game better is all.

The non-HD zombies do have an LOD.

I haven't ripped the new HD ones to check if they do.