Dedicated server hosting help

twowheelz4lyfe

I just built a new server PC and am trying to host a new dedicated server off it. I have been hosting dedicated servers for years now but I am lost with this one. I port forwarded the server on my router and i port forwarded through my firewall. The server starts up and runs fine but my friends still cant connect so i checked canyouseeme.org to see if the port was open and it says its still closed. I have a comcast router and to port forward through it you select a device and it auto fills the Ip you can not manually change it. I noticed that it assigns it an Ipv4 address different to the one that the server PC's console command ipconfig shows me. So i set up a static Ipv4 trying both the one the router gives me and the one the console gives me and still nothing. Any Ideas? I am lost and deeply aggravated setting up a server should take minutes not days.

Try giving your server a new static IP, and changing your host name. Sounds like your Router is having an issue with its ARP table and not refreshing it. Hopefully with a new hostname / IP it will clear it up, but maybe not because ARP does rely on MAC address.

Can always try the router re-boot as well while you are renaming your server and re-Iping.

good luck.

I just built a new server PC and am trying to host a new dedicated server off it. I have been hosting dedicated servers for years now but I am lost with this one. I port forwarded the server on my router and i port forwarded through my firewall. The server starts up and runs fine but my friends still cant connect so i checked canyouseeme.org to see if the port was open and it says its still closed. I have a comcast router and to port forward through it you select a device and it auto fills the Ip you can not manually change it. I noticed that it assigns it an Ipv4 address different to the one that the server PC's console command ipconfig shows me. So i set up a static Ipv4 trying both the one the router gives me and the one the console gives me and still nothing. Any Ideas? I am lost and deeply aggravated setting up a server should take minutes not days.

Ports now showing open as it should but people still cant connect.....

- - - Updated - - -

the router reboot worked and ports are now open but people still cant join any idea? ALSO it doesnt even show anyone trying to join from the server log either

I assume you can connect locally without a problem!?

does the router have any log about connection attempts?

You also could install a network packet sniffer to see if ANY packages arrive in your network when someone connects.

If your server is on windows, maybe the firewall on the server prevents the connection from outside the home network, but I guess you already handled this judging from your first post.

What ports did you open? Here is a link to a thread where I posted the ones I used. There is another thread about which ones are needed but I don't remember the link. Also for some reason I can use those sites that check if your ports are open and even though they say mine aren't people can still join my server.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?132499-Setting-up-dedicated-server-Alpha-18-0-on-Windows-server-2016&p=1053369&viewfull=1#post1053369

Archived