Anyone else miss looting zombie corpses?

Korrasis

I guess we're just TFP yes-men sheep? *shrug*. I hope so too, but I definitely despise people saying "Me and a few others like this so obviously everyone else's like for the new stuff is falsely enjoying it and actually preferred the other stuff to just nod and agree with the devs". Bleh.

Everyone has their own likes/dislikes/opinions, TFP chose a path that a majority of people like/what TFPs wanted for the game/liked.

It's a constant theme on the Steam forums. Don't get me wrong, critical feedback is actually more valuable to TFP than purely positive feedback, after all, if TFP asks somebody what they think of their game and gets the response "It's perfect!", while that might be really nice to hear, it also provides no information on possible improvements to make to the game.

There's a lot of people on these forums who'll provide critical feedback, some parts of which I won't agree with, but do it in a good way, so even where I don't agree with them, I can still respect their opinions. Those people rarely if ever fall into the trap of saying "we think this is bad" rather than "I think this is bad", and never accuse those of actually liking a particular mechanic of being a company shill.

When I do make a complaint I try to follow these rules I've set out for myself only:

1. Make sure I use "I" instead of "we". I'm stating my opinion only, and not talking for some vast "silent majority".

2. Try to be specific about what I don't like (sometimes this can be hard though, if it's just "the vibe" of a game that I'm not liking in some way).

3. Try to set out an alternative that I think would work better. Again, this can be hard sometimes if I couldn't be specific about #2.

For me, applying those rules in reverse to zombie looting, I'd say:

1. I like zombie looting as it now stands.

2. I didn't like the previous systems, because I felt there was a mad rush to check every single body before they disappeared - and rarely did I get anything useful for my frantic checking.

3. The current system is far superior, imho, to any of the previous ones, because the loot bags are easy to see (big and bright yellow), last long enough to be looted even after a BM horde has finished (they're still there in the morning), have a higher tendency to contain something actually useful (though not always), and drop regularly enough that the mechanic comes into play reasonably often.

The only major drawback I can think of with the current system, is that you can't "hunt" particular types of zombies for particular types of loot, for example, back in the day, making sure to chase down nurses for example for bandages.

200% agree there, well said. I def avoid the Steam forums, I've found that place just a toxic cesspool as Reddit lol. Tbh, besides college forums and our programmers/cybersec Slack groups, this is the only place I come to chat lol.

Yeah, I think it's sad if some people really think that anyone who doesn't agree with them is simply a mindless sheep; using "we" and "superior system that the devs and the sheep like" really is just bad. Sort of apples and oranges, but one thing I've learned in writing scholarly APA projects is the use of "I, we, me, mine, my" makes your prose seem defensive/opinionated, rather than constructive/informative/scientifically proving something. Of course, this APA style doesn't pertain here, but definitely the usage of "we" and such just brings negativity, with zero constructive criticism - especially when saying anyone that thinks otherwise is simply a yes-man lol.

Perhaps that's because a majority of people actually liked the change? I hate when people say "Anyone that doesn't agree with me on this obviously is a TFP slave/shill". You enjoy A16 easy-street bloat-stuff which, def according to steam reviews then versus now, a majority of people hated. Sorry you don't like it, but there are a small number of you who like the old ways, creating mods for you. Just stop throwing everyone who likes what they changed under the "TFP yes-men".

Sorry, but the sheer amount of loot in A18 negates everything you said.

In A18, you will have an Ak47 in the first few days. The loot in A18 is EASY STREET.

A16 is not Easy Street at all. You're really just saying that word becuause you're of the camp who just goes along with every change.

Sorry. A18 is far more loot heavy and easy street than A16. It just is.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully Ac75 just chose their words poorly, because yes, on first reading, it's a bit insulting to be told that I'm just not in tune with my gut, just because I actually like the way zombie loot works now.

Youre putting far too much importance on YOU in regards to a random post on the internet, my friend. I didn't choose my words poorly at all. If you want to make a show of how your interpret my words....ok, i guess.

I just miss making my base and playing a tower defense game where I summon endless screamers and harvest hundreds of zombies without needing to go to POIs.

I mean I can still do that but instead of getting loot every other zombie, I get a loot bag containing dog food every other horde.

Youre putting far too much importance on YOU in regards to a random post on the internet, my friend. I didn't choose my words poorly at all. If you want to make a show of how your interpret my words....ok, i guess.

You can choose to take this as constructive criticism or not, your call, but you wrote:

I see lot of people just going along with the flow instead of trusting theit gut on what they feel is right, when it comes to talking about certain mechanics in this games history being removed.

The clear inference you're drawing there is that anyone who doesn't agree with you, somehow should, and just doesn't know it. That'll always ensure that any point you're trying to convey will get lost due to the method you've chosen to convey it by.

Now, if we're talking the amount of loot in A18, I would actually agree with you there - it's too much, at least so far as I've seen on my plays on default settings. That though, is a separate issue to zombie looting.

Now, if we're talking the amount of loot in A18, I would actually agree with you there - it's too much, at least so far as I've seen on my plays on default settings. That though, is a separate issue to zombie looting.

Why do you say there is too much loot on default, Oz?

Do you think you find what you need too fast? Or is it just the abundance?

I ask because I think some people when playing feel a sort of obligation to grab everything. If I don't need something, I just leave it. The items in the loot slots that are garbage are equivalent to an empty space for me.

What I do think there is too much of, not really loot containers, but still loot, are the construction pallets with cement and cobblestone. These would not be affected by the loot% or the lootstage, so I do find them problematic. In my current game, as a test, I built my base completely from these pallets. Right now on day 11 and it is fully reinforced concrete on the surface and my underground work stations are all cobblestone walls and ceiling. I have 3k cement mix mixing up at the trader right now and don't really have a use for it as of yet... unless I want to upgrade my basement just for kicks.

Why do you say there is too much loot on default, Oz?

Do you think you find what you need too fast? Or is it just the abundance?

I ask because I think some people when playing feel a sort of obligation to grab everything. If I don't need something, I just leave it. The items in the loot slots that are garbage are equivalent to an empty space for me.

What I do think there is too much of, not really loot containers, but still loot, are the construction pallets with cement and cobblestone. These would not be affected by the loot% or the lootstage, so I do find them problematic. In my current game, as a test, I built my base completely from these pallets. Right now on day 11 and it is fully reinforced concrete on the surface and my underground work stations are all cobblestone walls and ceiling. I have 3k cement mix mixing up at the trader right now and don't really have a use for it as of yet... unless I want to upgrade my basement just for kicks.

Leave loot behind!?!!? That's crazzeee talks!!! hehe

Nah, I take everything, and I do mean everything... hehe (I always play with a modded inventory).

Guns 'n ammo seem to me to be too easily obtained. I lurves mah Marksmen Rifle, but previously it took time to make one. Now I get one pretty quickly, and I've yet to need to make any 762 ammo for it, what I find is easily enough (I mostly melee, saving the rifle for cops, animals and demolishers).

Brass was once a short resource, but Duke-smelting invalidates that as well (I know, a separate discussion for which there is an active thread).

Electrical parts are massively overabundant, mechanical parts somewhat less so.

Overall Atomic, my conundrum is this: in SP, I can play a 4k map, and be in my base, with the best of all possible gear and loot, with the base guarded by a dozen or more blade traps, a dozen or more shotgun turrets (all full of ammo), and the entire base (17x17x50ish) upgraded to steel from top to bottom, long before I run out of POI's on the map to explore (usually about halfway through the map).

Maybe that isn't really a bad thing, after all, I can always then just start another game, and I am, after all, playing single player, a 4k map wouldn't work for 8 players, but it just strikes me that loot is a little too easy to get.

Sorry, but the sheer amount of loot in A18 negates everything you said.

In A18, you will have an Ak47 in the first few days. The loot in A18 is EASY STREET.

A16 is not Easy Street at all. You're really just saying that word becuause you're of the camp who just goes along with every change.

There's no point in talking with you obviously. Going to ignore you from here on out, but no, I hated a16 because you literally could survive Insane max-spawning (I edited my XMLs to spawn only Wrights, zombie bears, cops and soldiers), 64 min alive horde nights with a flippin blunderbuss, wooden walls and some wooden bars. You had enough food for the entire population of America by day 3, and only need to eat once a month. You had zero need for any loot.

All this loot in a18 is needed. Unless you're playing on the easiest difficulty.

You're calling me a sheep? Look at how you're describing A16, you're one of the "A16 was the most balanced and perfect alpha and anyone saying anything otherwise is a sheep" group. *insert mind blown gif*

/Rant. Go ahead and call me a blinded sheep some more, that's the last you'll hear from me.

Nah, I take everything, and I do mean everything... hehe (I always play with a modded inventory).

Guns 'n ammo seem to me to be too easily obtained. I lurves mah Marksmen Rifle, but previously it took time to make one. Now I get one pretty quickly, and I've yet to need to make any 762 ammo for it, what I find is easily enough (I mostly melee, saving the rifle for cops, animals and demolishers).

Brass was once a short resource, but Duke-smelting invalidates that as well (I know, a separate discussion for which there is an active thread).

Electrical parts are massively overabundant, mechanical parts somewhat less so.

Overall Atomic, my conundrum is this: in SP, I can play a 4k map, and be in my base, with the best of all possible gear and loot, with the base guarded by a dozen or more blade traps, a dozen or more shotgun turrets (all full of ammo), and the entire base (17x17x50ish) upgraded to steel from top to bottom, long before I run out of POI's on the map to explore (usually about halfway through the map).

Maybe that isn't really a bad thing, after all, I can always then just start another game, and I am, after all, playing single player, a 4k map wouldn't work for 8 players, but it just strikes me that loot is a little too easy to get.

Well, yeah... that is the goal in the end. I don't think this is a fair assessment on the loot because of the modded inventory. Cut your inventory in half and it essentially doubles the time it takes to get to that goal. Most of the time you probably wouldn't make it back to that same POI and just loot another.

There are a lot of POIs where you can't possibly get out with everything in one trip in default vanilla. I find it to be part of the struggle.

Here is what I am talking about. This attic alone can build a base. This POI had tons of cement and cobblestone throughout it as well:

Ko3JCmS.jpg

Well, yeah... that is the goal in the end. I don't think this is a fair assessment on the loot because of the modded inventory. Cut your inventory in half and it essentially doubles the time it takes to get to that goal. Most of the time you probably wouldn't make it back to that same POI and just loot another.

There are a lot of POIs where you can't possibly get out with everything in one trip in default vanilla. I find it to be part of the struggle.

Here is what I am talking about. This attic alone can build a base. This POI had tons of cement and cobblestone throughout it as well:

I think the point I was making wasn't on the duration it took me to get to a "need to restart" point, but the percentage of the map I'd explored. So, my modded inventory, I accept, absolutely makes that point happen sooner in time, but even if I used default inventory, I'd have still only explored about half of a 4k map before there was no point in exploring further.

The only difference with using a standard inventory, is that point would have taken me twice as long, but whether it's day 100 or day 200, I'd have still only just barely needed to explore beyond the first town I started near before I had all the looted I'd ever need.

This is on default settings though (the only thing I've modded is the inventory size, stack sizes and wandering horde sizes).

I think the point I was making wasn't on the duration it took me to get to a "need to restart" point, but the percentage of the map I'd explored. So, my modded inventory, I accept, absolutely makes that point happen sooner in time, but even if I used default inventory, I'd have still only explored about half of a 4k map before there was no point in exploring further.

The only difference with using a standard inventory, is that point would have taken me twice as long, but whether it's day 100 or day 200, I'd have still only just barely needed to explore beyond the first town I started near before I had all the looted I'd ever need.

This is on default settings though (the only thing I've modded is the inventory size, stack sizes and wandering horde sizes).

I did get that from what you were saying. I'll try to simplify what I was saying.

If your inventory is limited, you are likely to be choosy about the loot you grab, grabbing the most important at that time. Little bits of lead, paper, polymers, leather, cloth, and a whole slew of things you will likely leave behind in favor of weapons, ammo, brass, and things that sell well. Unless you are 100% determined to grab these things, you are more likely to use your time hitting another fresh POI rather than waste a trip to return to things you don't really need or don't need often enough to justify it. As a result, you end up exploring more of the map.

I don't think I could sustain my ammo needs late game by staying near home. Even the mining slowly extends out away from home and that travel time takes away from obtaining more ammo. At some point, ammo and the supplies to make it are all I am looking for in POIs and there aren't many POIs in any given town that have higher concentrations of it. So when I hear there's too much loot, I get flashbacks of my never-ending struggles to obtain ammo. Basically, if there is too much loot, why do I need to loot a few POIs daily?

I'm thinking about just forgetting all that from now on. It's too much work, with looting and with mining. It would be easier making a massive coffee farm and take the horde nights to the streets with a baseball bat.

I did get that from what you were saying. I'll try to simplify what I was saying.

If your inventory is limited, you are likely to be choosy about the loot you grab, grabbing the most important at that time. Little bits of lead, paper, polymers, leather, cloth, and a whole slew of things you will likely leave behind in favor of weapons, ammo, brass, and things that sell well. Unless you are 100% determined to grab these things, you are more likely to use your time hitting another fresh POI rather than waste a trip to return to things you don't really need or don't need often enough to justify it. As a result, you end up exploring more of the map.

I don't think I could sustain my ammo needs late game by staying near home. Even the mining slowly extends out away from home and that travel time takes away from obtaining more ammo. At some point, ammo and the supplies to make it are all I am looking for in POIs and there aren't many POIs in any given town that have higher concentrations of it. So when I hear there's too much loot, I get flashbacks of my never-ending struggles to obtain ammo. Basically, if there is too much loot, why do I need to loot a few POIs daily?

I'm thinking about just forgetting all that from now on. It's too much work, with looting and with mining. It would be easier making a massive coffee farm and take the horde nights to the streets with a baseball bat.

Theres no need to be choosy with loot. Throw three boxes in the street and loot away. You can clear a house of all loot in a day or so and then haul stuff back to your base the next morning in a few trips. POIs are in abundance, storage is super easy to make and if you have a bicycle you can go back and forth to a drop point in seconds.

Im actually going to start looking into smaller maps because 8k is just too much for 2 players. Before you even finish a city or two you will have everything you need and since other towns and pois in them offer zero incentive to find because all loot is the same theres zero need to ride around an 8k map just for kicks.

Im confident a loot pass will happen before long enough. Theres just too much unneeded real estate in the world to justify how much we can gain from a handful of dungeon pois.

EDIT - If you re-read what you wrote you are basically saying the same thing. If not for ammo theres no other reason to go out and loot miles away from your base. Ammo is just right, but everything else is off balance.

Yes.

I miss them so darn much :(

It's a core game mechanic thats been removed and replaced with this dumb system.

Always loved walking around and 'squish' "Eww I stepped in a zombie"

Made bones abundant, but that could have been so extremely easy to just have them harvest rotten bones or something like that to avoid glue making.

It was great to see the sea of deadbodies just waiting there to be looted after a bloodmoon, and wondering if one should risk go out looking where that wight or cop was killed and hopefully find a good gunpart. (which are not a thing, and guns are everywhere now)

And it felt right. Rummage though the pockets of the slain foe to see if it had anything to use. That takes a moment to do.

The corpse problem could have been solved by despawning after an hour. If you wanted to loot, do so. If you wanted them to disappear and not have to clean up, come back tomorrow. Simple fix to make everyone happy.

BTW, since corpses did not stack in A16, and I could clean up 300+ corpses in 10 minutes, I dont see how the arguement "it took all day" makes any sense. And the loot itself was garbage, the loot table was the same for trash piles. So, no, your loot was not 'delivered' to you.

Oh, one last thing: I dont feel that people who prefer the change are yes-men. I simple dont care what you are. I liked what I liked and have no issue stating it. I want more people who prefered the mechanics I liked to speak up. The overall demographic contains all types of people. But there are hundreds, maybe thousands of zombie loot/shooters out there. 7D2D was in a niche of its own, and is slowly shifting to the gameplay that will make it lose its originality. Thank TFP for bringing books back. I have something to look forward to again with luck.

The corpse problem could have been solved by despawning after an hour.

The corpses already did despawn. I remember in A16.4 racing to chop up the corpses after horde night before they despawned on me.

So no clean up was needed if you weren't interested in that aspect.

A thousand times no! ;-)

Strictly imho of course, but the new system is massively better than the old one. Infrequent, easily seen, long lasting loot bags that have a higher chance of actually dropping something I want, as opposed to frantically "opening up" every single zombie corpse to loot a stick or a piece of grass is a big gain in my book.

I guess it works for you and not for us. Personally they have intentionally made the game grindier, weighing the game down and bringing certain game mechanical things up. FTP have never been known for really asking the consumer base what they like and that usually ends up with events like the tragic event of the Alpha16 launch.

I havnt been able to really connect peronally and enjoy myself as much since before alpha 16 really..

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that removing loot from zombie bodies was a stupid shortsighted decision that left the game without another feature that made it interesting.

Soon, 7dtd will be empty as a corpse in A17...

COuldnt agree more. Like i said in an earlier comment, FTP dont really like asking the consumers what they want and it has severe consequences.

I hear you. Some playthoughs I'm like a swarm of locusts and strip every POI I see down to bare bones. I don't even make it to the trader by the 2nd hordenight sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Ko3JCmS.jpg

Wow I've never fond that particular attic. Seen some basements similar to that though.

I guess it works for you and not for us. Personally they have intentionally made the game grindier, weighing the game down and bringing certain game mechanical things up. FTP have never been known for really asking the consumer base what they like and that usually ends up with events like the tragic event of the Alpha16 launch.

I havnt been able to really connect peronally and enjoy myself as much since before alpha 16 really..

- - - Updated - - -

COuldnt agree more. Like i said in an earlier comment, FTP dont really like asking the consumers what they want and it has severe consequences.

I have to disagree. Fun Pimps totally listen. I see it everyday in their comments on the forums and the changes each Alpha. What you mean to say is they didn't listen to you.

It would be nice to get rotten meat out of them...

It is a pretty easy mod, and a good n00b-level project for writing mods. I say that as a total mod-writing n00b myself.

1) Create folder \Mods under the 7D2D install directory (on Windows, usually \program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die)

2) Create a sub-folder under \Mods called \HarvestZombies (or whatever name you want)

3) Create a sub-folder under \HarvestZombies called \Config

4) Create a file in that \Config folder called entityclasses.xml and paste the following:

<configs>
<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">120</set>
<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='DeadBodyHitPoints']/@value">300</set>

<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[contains(@name, 'zombie')]">
	<drop event="Harvest" name="foodRawMeat" count="0" tool_category="Butcher"/>
	<drop event="Harvest" name="foodRottingFlesh" tag="allToolsHarvest" count="1"/>
	<drop event="Harvest" name="foodRottingFlesh" tag="butcherHarvest" count="1,2"/> 
	<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceBone" tag="butcherHarvest" count="1,2"/>
	<drop event="Harvest" name="resourcePotassiumNitratePowder" tag="butcherHarvest" count="1,2"/>
</append>
</configs>

• corpses will have 300hp and will last 120 seconds before despawning
  • ignore the 'foodRawMeat' line - it needs to be there (for the butcher weapon animation I think?), but you won't actually get any raw meat from corpses
  • you will get a tiny bit of rotting flesh no matter what tool you use
  • you will get slightly more flesh, plus bones & nitrate, if using a butcher tool e,g a knife or machete

5) In the \HarvestZombies folder create a file called ModInfo.xml and paste the following into that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xml>
<ModInfo>
	<Name value="Harvestable Zombies" />
	<Description value="Zombies can be harvested for rotten meat, bones, and nitrate." />
	<Author value="SittingDuck" />
	<Version value="1.0" />
</ModInfo>
</xml>

Start your game and go harvest some zombies!

6) (Slightly more advanced) If you also want to nerf the roadkill to add some balance, create 'blocks.xml' in the \Config folder for the mod and paste this into it (it replaces the default flesh/bone/nitrate drop values with slightly lower values):

<configs>
<!-- slight nerfs to rotting flesh, bone, and nitrate for other harvestables -->
<!-- not touching body bags or cow skulls -->
<!-- animal gore block -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockAnimal']/drop[@name='foodRottingFlesh' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">1,2</set> <!-- default 1,3 -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockAnimal']/drop[@name='resourcePotassiumNitratePowder' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">2,4</set> <!-- default 4,8 -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockAnimal']/drop[@name='resourceBone' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">2,6</set> <!-- default 5,10 -->

<!-- human corpse -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockHumanCorpse']/drop[@name='foodRottingFlesh' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">1</set> <!-- default 1,2 -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockHumanCorpse']/drop[@name='resourcePotassiumNitratePowder' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">2,4</set> <!-- default 4,8 -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockHumanCorpse']/drop[@name='resourceBone' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">2,6</set> <!-- default 5,10 -->

<!-- human bones (do not drop rotting flesh by default) -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockHumanBones']/drop[@name='resourcePotassiumNitratePowder' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">1,2</set> <!-- default 2,4 -->
<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='goreBlockHumanBones']/drop[@name='resourceBone' and @tag='butcherHarvest']/@count">2,6</set> <!-- default 5,10 -->
</configs>

Theres no need to be choosy with loot. Throw three boxes in the street and loot away. You can clear a house of all loot in a day or so and then haul stuff back to your base the next morning in a few trips. POIs are in abundance, storage is super easy to make and if you have a bicycle you can go back and forth to a drop point in seconds.

Im actually going to start looking into smaller maps because 8k is just too much for 2 players. Before you even finish a city or two you will have everything you need and since other towns and pois in them offer zero incentive to find because all loot is the same theres zero need to ride around an 8k map just for kicks.

Im confident a loot pass will happen before long enough. Theres just too much unneeded real estate in the world to justify how much we can gain from a handful of dungeon pois.

EDIT - If you re-read what you wrote you are basically saying the same thing. If not for ammo theres no other reason to go out and loot miles away from your base. Ammo is just right, but everything else is off balance.

But why would I bother doing that? I will never need that stuff. I mean I suppose I could pull everything out into chests just in case I do happen to need that stuff... but if that ever happened, I would just go back in and get it right where I left it. I have yet to play a game where I regret leaving these things behind. For ammo you need it constantly, everything else you only need so much of once.

Yes, I agree ammo is just right. However ammo is loot. Decrease the loot, you decrease the ammo and I can’t have that. All I am asking for is making a distinction when using blanket statements like there is too much loot.

There were other ways of handling performance problems...

In A16, i modded the game in a way that allowed to harvest all loot corpses after a horde night.

"All" in that context means:

• removed all collision except for melee
  • added vertical support (without misusing it, of course, i'm not schizophrenic)
  • minimized dead body despawn time to 10 sec, so performance stays top

Thus, during the horde night, corpses that in vanilla would disintegrate because of another corpse already lying at that position, simply stack on top of each other, while non of that corpses hindered the fight.

Of course, about half of the first layer of corpses usually vanished because of the collapse of the underlying traps (and increased probability of that because of the minimized body despawn time). But since there usually were two to three layers of corpses, the overall harvest amount was incredible huge (should have been around 60% of all enemies).

Despite having a massively increased count of corpses, the result was fun.

I did what i can to keep the hordes coming: I maximized the maxalive to 32 (the limit my PC could handle at horde night while keeping FPS at about 20...30), so horde nights lasted not longer than 2...3 ingame houres, so to have the rest of the night available for looting and repairing. It usually took about 6 ingame houres to clean up the corpses alone at gamestage around 3000.

And despite having the area around the main base cultivated (so no horde spawn in its vicinity), i purposly let at least an angle of 90 degree from the horde base open.

This differs from my playstyle since A17: Since the loot at horde nights is abysmal meager, i usually try to block hordes at all as soon as possible by completely cultivating the area around the bases.

To sum it up: FUN with looting was up to A16.

Archived