Dishong Tower Challenge Modlet

MidnightDesigner

Since alpha 18.2 b5 I can't load Dishong Tower challenge mod any more.

While loading the game it gives a localization error. The log says:

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.048 INF Starting UserProfileManager...

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.131 INF Occlusion: Awake

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.139 INF ApplyAllOptions streaming False, budget 3601.8 MB

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.139 INF ApplyAllOptions current screen 1920 x 1080, 60hz, window 1920 x 1080, fullscreen True FullScreenWindow

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.139 INF Texture quality is set to 1

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.139 INF ApplyTextureFilter 1, AF Enable

2019-11-30T23:06:21 4.141 INF ApplyTerrainOptions 3

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.423 INF [MODS] Start loading

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.425 INF [MODS] Trying to load from Dishong Tower Challenge

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.451 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Dishong Tower Challenge (18.1.1.8)

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.451 INF [MODS] Initializing mod code

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.451 INF [MODS] Loading done

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.452 INF Loading localizations from mod Dishong Tower Challenge

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.453 ERR Failed loading localization from Dishong Tower Challenge

2019-11-30T23:06:22 4.453 EXC The given key was not present in the dictionary.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) [0x0001e] in <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0

at Localization+LocalizationDictionary.LoadCsv (System.Byte[] _asset, System.Boolean _patch) [0x0008b] in <090ac70841964a1faa431f23e2b8e0e3>:0

at Localization+LocalizationDictionary.LoadCsv (System.String _filename, System.Boolean _patch) [0x00007] in <090ac70841964a1faa431f23e2b8e0e3>:0

at Localization.LoadPatchDictionaries (System.String _folder, System.Boolean _loadingInGame) [0x00090] in <090ac70841964a1faa431f23e2b8e0e3>:0

at ModManager+<LoadLocalizations>d__11.MoveNext () [0x0006d] in <090ac70841964a1faa431f23e2b8e0e3>:0

UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)

UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)

UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)

Logger:masterLogException(Exception)

Logger:Exception(Exception)

Log:Exception(Exception)

<LoadLocalizations>d__11:MoveNext()

ThreadManager:RunCoroutineSync(IEnumerator)

ThreadManager:RunCoroutineSync(IEnumerator)

GameManager:Awake()

We have isolated the issue and we are making an 18.2 version of the modlet. We should have it out sometime today for both direct download from my website and through Sphereii's mod launcher.

Made a couple adjustments to the mod:

• Honey has been added to items available through vending machines
  • Lab Zombies drop bones and nitrate
  • Nurse Zombies have a 10% chance to drop antibiotics when harvested
  • Lab Zombies have a 10% chance to drop a beaker
  • Bodies that can be harvested remain for 60 seconds before despawning

We also recommend reducing the loot respawn time from 30 to 15 days.

• 1 month later...

What are you supposed to do if you loot the entire building and you don't have the stuff you need to complete a gyro copter and leave? What source do you have to rely on to be able to gather the materials to leave? If you harvest/wrench everything in the building, what options do you have to bring in more loot or resources? zombie loot bags don't drop NEAR often enough to make them a reasonable source of incoming materials, and loot wont respawn in the building you are currently in, so even if you have loot respawn set for something reasonable, like 14 days, you can't even aim for a certain day that all loot will respawn. I'm kind of at a loss for how you can actually complete the challenge without being extremely, EXTREMELY lucky. This means that skill has no bearing or effect on whether or not you are able to complete the Dishong Tower Challenge.

What about upping the amount of zombie loot bags that spawn so that its a sort of replacement for how you used to be able to search zombie corpses in Alpha 16. Then you could use that avenue to dole out small amounts of resources to the player, so that as long as they keep KILLING and stay alive, they will eventually complete the goal.

What do you guys think about that option? If its possible, you could edit the loot table for zombies and decide what items and what amount should be reasonable to spawn, but what I'm thinking about is the fact that it would make sure that every time you start a Dishong Tower Challenge, it is winnable if you have enough skill and perseverance. My only complaint against the Tower Challenge in its current state is that there is no guarantee, by a long shot, that you will even come close to the end goal on any given run. These balances were a great start, my original question remains, what happens when the whole tower is looted, which could easily be by day 3-5? There has to be some sort of sustainable resource income, even if its a minuscule amount.

Some suggestions: Start looting / wrenching late when you have high salvaging & lucky looter perks.

Also with a bit of creativity you can wrench the cars around the tower you just cant let your woodframes touch the ground but you can go a couple of blocks out.

I really enjoyed the challenge managed to complete it on my 2nd attempt on Survivalist/Jog/Nightmare(during Night).

Yeah sometimes you can get unlucky but well thats just how it is. They say luck is also a kind of skill ;)

The only thing I dont really like about the challenge is that it kind of forces you to do a certain Intelligence/Perception Build to have a good chance of success.

What about two towers but you have to build a bridge to get to the other one? Its not reasonable to expect we could build the whole bridge out of steel, but I wonder if you made the first block steel so it has good structural integrity for holding weeight, then concrete out from there, and put some of the support column blocks , if that would be able to make the spand between two dishong tower POI's placed directly next to each other?

You could try holding off looting until you have better perks, but you have to survive... i don't see you making it through a blood moon on default settings without at least a few arrows and a melee weapon of some kind, and you are going to want some healing items and food... I think if you just turned up the amount of zombie loot bags, and made sure that the loot table of them included some small amount of the resources and items you will need to sustain yourself, it would be perfect....

In my opinion, it should be like a chess game or puzzle of some sort where there is almost always a way to win if you have enough skill and persevere long enough. Keep in mind, I'm just asking for the challenge mod to be made winnable, not EASY. The dishong tower challenge has roots back to a time when every zombie was searchable, which meant as long as you kept killing you could keep resources coming in some way or another. Nowdays that just isn't the case.

Since you've went ahead and released a modlet with an entire world with nothing but a Dishong Tower in it, why not go ahead an spawn a custom Trader into the Tower? That could be another way to ease the burden.... Again, you Could edit the traders list of supplies like any other mod, to balance whats available and the prices, considering money is beyond scarce, items should come down to be priced in the low single and double digits.

It just bugs me that more often that not, if you stayed alive, you're going to end up with a tower thats completely empty of loot, that wont respawn loot because you are currently inside the chunk thats loaded into memory. If youre really lucky, you've managed to get a tiny farm going with a small amount of sustainable food... And thats about it. If you weren't lucky enough to get all the resources or parts you would need to craft the copter by the time you loot and wrench the tower, you're just about screwed.

The addition of a second tower next to the first one sounds interesting, as well as a custom trader. Or even adding some basic resources to the vending machines could be another idea. To my knowledge, sleeper zombies respawn in the POI's every five or six days or so, so that could be another chance for some loot. And zombies are almost always outside, so you can try to lure them in.

As for zombie loot, there are already modlets out there that you can add that adjusts loot drop chance, and there's a modlet that allows zombie looting. (There's a version with and without loot bags.)

I'd like to add: I played this (and lost. I will try again) and it was immensely enjoyable. If there was a second tower it would be cool if you really had to work to get to it (like a very long bridge that only the strongest blocks you could craft would reach it, etc. You would only go there if you were bored/waiting for new zombies to loot, or you needed stuff/second chance. Additionally, if 2 or more people were playing they could split up and race to the finish, or to connect the towers.

I'd like to add: I played this (and lost. I will try again) and it was immensely enjoyable. If there was a second tower it would be cool if you really had to work to get to it (like a very long bridge that only the strongest blocks you could craft would reach it, etc. You would only go there if you were bored/waiting for new zombies to loot, or you needed stuff/second chance. Additionally, if 2 or more people were playing they could split up and race to the finish, or to connect the towers.

I love the idea of two people racing to complete the bridge across the two towers, and they could combine resources to craft the gyro for escaping. Two towers worth of loot is much better odds for completing the end goal.

On a side note, there is a hang glider mod that exists on Nexus Mods, you could glide gracefully from the top of one of the towers to the porch roof of the second one, then once you worked your way to the top, you'd have a way back and forth to carrier pigeon your resources between the two towers. And since your not touching the outside ground, its within the spirit of the original challenge. Honestly I'm liking this idea. I'd love to combine it all in one mod.

Basically 2 towers, the hang glider mod, a static spawned trader with custom loot/item table, zombie loot bags drop 60% of the time, but with edited loot table for balance, all combined into the balance changes already in effect for this mod.

Of course, if someone can figure a way to make loot respawn even tho your still in the Tower, then we wouldn't really need all this any ways, we'd have to just keep surviving till each loot respawn hoping to get what we need to fly out to safety.

Actually, there is a way. Just put something in the container (a piece of iron, or anything tiny at all) and wait for the number of days to pass (whatever you've set your loot respawn to). Then when it's time (I'd wait an extra day just to be safe), remove the item from the container, and it will respawn new loot before your eyes.

Archived