Do zombies have i-frames now?

Scyris

Do zombies have invunerability frames now in a18? I notice sometimes when they swing, even though I have a clear shot at their body (the arm is not blocking it), it sometimes doesn't even register as a hit, almost as if the zombies have been given iframes during certan parts of their attack animations.

^ If this is accurate, this must be why I miss with slower weapons all the time.

I am garbage at Sledgehammer and Fire Ax attacks. They miss even though they clearly should have passed through their torso or head., yet almost never miss with clubs and knifes even though I am in closer range and ripe for hits.

^ If this is accurate, this must be why I miss with slower weapons all the time.

I am garbage at Sledgehammer and Fire Ax attacks. They miss even though they clearly should have passed through their torso or head., yet almost never miss with clubs and knifes even though I am in closer range and ripe for hits.

It sure feels like it is, if you try to hit a zombie with melee during certan frames of its attack, the zombie completly ignores the hit, even if its a dead center torso hit. Doesn't do any damage or anything, I have it happen to me all the time I main sledge for my melee weapon as its the only one really viable past midgame. With club/baseball bat right behind it. Its not the sledges damage that makes it so viable thou it IS pretty nice, a T5 steel sledge can hit for 70-80 damage with mods, and this is before perks are factored into it, Its good because it has a really high knockdown chance, and a zombie on the ground is one that is no longer a threat. Same for clubs, fairly high knockdown chance on normal swings.

After playing more with the clubs, I still think it's mostly people not being aware their reticle moved off the zombie's hitbox for a split second when the game is checking for a hit. I'm not saying you guys' aim is bad or that it should work like this, I just think there are no actual "i-frames", missing hitboxes or even actual bugs. Just a weird ray-cast system together with jerky animations that make it hard to tell whether your reticle is sticking on target throughout the swing.

It's why the problem is pronounced with the slower weapons: with fists and spears, your attack is fast enough that there's little delay between mouse-press and the game doing an actual hit check, but with the sledge there's a significant wind up before the weapon and zombie collide. If your reticle moves off the hit box while this check is happening, even by just a pixel, the game will count it as a miss.

I can hit zombies that are lying prone or standing up in the head just fine, but I have to ignore the visual arc of my weapon and purely concentrate on making sure my reticle is on their head (and not on a hand or shoulder) at the right time in the swing.

It's a silly system with dirt-poor visual feedback and I hope they redo it from the ground up, but I don't think there's actually anything "broken".

After playing more with the clubs, I still think it's mostly people not being aware their reticle moved off the zombie's hitbox for a split second when the game is checking for a hit. I'm not saying you guys' aim is bad or that it should work like this, I just think there are no actual "i-frames", missing hitboxes or even actual bugs. Just a weird ray-cast system together with jerky animations that make it hard to tell whether your reticle is sticking on target throughout the swing.

It's why the problem is pronounced with the slower weapons: with fists and spears, your attack is fast enough that there's little delay between mouse-press and the game doing an actual hit check, but with the sledge there's a significant wind up before the weapon and zombie collide. If your reticle moves off the hit box while this check is happening, even by just a pixel, the game will count it as a miss.

I can hit zombies that are lying prone or standing up in the head just fine, but I have to ignore the visual arc of my weapon and purely concentrate on making sure my reticle is on their head (and not on a hand or shoulder) at the right time in the swing.

It's a silly system with dirt-poor visual feedback and I hope they redo it from the ground up, but I don't think there's actually anything "broken".

Nope, 100% no.

I literally said the crosshair can be dead center on the torso the entire swing and it happen. It is not like I spasm so hard that my swing starts with my crosshair off the zombie somehow. Not even talking about headshots either.

Idk about clubs, It only happens with sledges for me that I know of (I dont use clubs)

But it seems to happen during or near the time of zombie animations (ragdoll, attacks, etc.) and not 100% of the time, but enough to make it seem ridiculous.

It only takes 1 time to whiff a raging zombie with what appears to be a perfect, clean hit to think "well thats dumb af"

Or to power attack a stunned zombie on the ground and see the terrain block behind it take damage but not the zombie.

And yes, I can hit a zombie in the head fine too. Been using sledges for 6000 hours in this game and it is 100% "broken" when these bugs happen during combat.

It is definitely more noticeable with sledges than other weapons due to how slowly the weapon swings. You notice each whiff a lot more than say bats. When I right click with a bat and see the hit fail when it should have it I grit my teeth and acknowledge its effed up but can follow through with another strike a second later. With a sledgehammer there is a good 2-3 seconds of rage building up and gives you time to look at the 30 stamina you just threw out the window for an easy hit that went nowhere before you can swing again.

Has anyone been able to post a video of this happening? Saying it's apparent to everyone is nice but having something to document this will go a long way to getting the devs involved.

Devs have already been shown a very clear video of this happening.

EDIT: I played about 9 straight hours of A18.1 b7 today and I have rarely missed. So maybe the issue has been fixed?

this video brought to you by about 2 dozen wights sacrifice, never forget ô7

the zed was definitely within range, as shown in the vid, I didn't move and got the hit after . Pretty much confirm my suspicion from the last time I test these stuff. either

A: the zed shoulders hitbox are wonky (unlikely from this vid, swing would have continue down and at least hit torso)

B: zed straight up missing hitbox collider in some frame

C: weapon hit detection are wonky

was gonna test every weapons, but doing like 5-6 test each weapon and have to check the video very closely in between sound like too much work, luckily I got one so soon.

If I have time, I'll test throwing spears since that the second most apparent hitbox bug. Sledge show nothing so far. I think people think their hit "miss" due to glancing blow somehow instead of a clean hit as hit should have been, it barely does any damage. This is why I advocate for remove glancing blow and just make it straight up hit like any other game with melee mechanic.

Kinda settles it. Glad to see we are not all crazy. Least not about this.

So yep, they basically have i-frames for certan parts of the animations for whatever reason. Missing collider also can count as i-frames imo at least in this instance, as the video shows there is no reason that did not count as a hit and the hit markers being on also helps to show it kinda i-framed what should have been a clean torso or maybe arm hit since there was no marker after the swing. I knew I wasn't crazy when I was noticing this. I mostly use melee in 7dtd, have since alpha 9 or 10 whenever I first got the game, so something this wonky is deff going to be something i'd notice with how long i've usually been mostly melee.

You notice this the most with the sledgehammer, I'd say one in every 3-4 zombies will magically avoid what should have been a sure hit, thats seems to be about how often it happens to me. Also yes, I know how far away I can hit things with the sledge, so its not me being out of range thats for sure, in fact most of these misses are when the zombie is .75 to 1 block away from of the sledgehammers 2.6 block max entity damage range.

Due to how wonky the hitboxes are in a18 I mostly aim for body shots later on with sledgehammers, as at least I have a good chance of it not glitching and hitting and knocking the zombie down. Compared to a headshot that more often than not doesn't register or it janks out of the way a split second before the raycast is fired to determine a hit. I think the main problem is melee weapons are using raycasts like its a gun.

Archived