Another "direction of the game thread" and iam concerned...

ThanVanMon

I really hope the devs read this thread....

They already know, dude. If anything, the complaints over the years with each Alpha has been the reduction of zombies more and more. They have made some strides to fix it in the past. When they gave us the blood moon count per player option that was a huge boost to a dreadful time to where we only got 8 at a time coming from the alpha before where it was a static, and awesome 55 at a time. (55 at a time now doesn't run very well in comparison to back then)

When they changed how the spawns worked, it really limited the whole thing. They put too much focus on sleepers thinking that would be enough..thinking people would like to play in repetitive dungeons fighting sleepers over and over and be satisfied with that.

People did complain about too many sleepers in some of the houses - and rightfully so - some of the one bedroom cabins had like 8 sleepers in them - made no sense - or a two-bedroom home having a dozen in them. So, instead of just toning certain ones down, and maybe even increasing the counts in the ones like sky-scrapers and factories - they just reduced ALL of them. So now it's even more boring than it was before. People spent a year mastering A17 POIs with tons of sleepers - and then they reduce most of them by half - so now it's even easier as most people are used to dealing with a lot more than that by now.

One step forward...three steps back.

The one hold-out, the one saving grace that might fix a lot of this will be bandits and how they are implemented. Having things shoot at you in cities and towns - and getting into firefights having to clear the towns out of bandits before you can loot - may just be enough to bring in some of that tension. But, in an ideal world - there would be some zeds in the mix as well to keep things interesting between the bandits and player. Bandits or you start shooting - and zeds start becoming active all around you so you're dealing with bandits and zeds simultaneously as they are.

The one hold-out, the one saving grace that might fix a lot of this will be bandits and how they are implemented.

Yeah, but they've been pushing them back for years, and they want to go gold in 2020! With the way updates have been going for the past alphas, I'd really be surprised if they managed to add in bandits, get them working properly AND fix the rest of the issues in the game within a year.

Like others said, I got my money's worth and had some really fun times in this game, so I'm not angry or anything. It's just disappointing that TFP keep making design choices that imho often seem to be at odds with each other and take away from the original tense atmosphere.

I love A18, very polished. However, I do agree with the OP.... it's just not the same game any more. I do miss the danger of cities. I miss hunkering down in the attic of a house listening to roaming zombies outside, hoping they don't hear me and wander into my house.

The game isn't finished, so I'm holding out hope that some of that tension can be recaptured. But right now, I really wish I could play A11 with A18's features.

Nice alpha mashup ..and we'd have the best caves =)

Right now cities are a hub of isolated POIs and are completely OP compared to anything else in the world. What's the point of having amazing landscapes if all you ever need to see is city blocks ?

And that is why i play without POI's when i play. Because i found most poi's to be a combined weaponshop/toolstore/foodshop/pop'n pills these days, and add to that the trader and vending machine foods. Of course, without POI's there's no cities either, so there are some tradeoffs compared to A11. Not much chance of finding a gun either, heck, the main reason i spent a day in the wasteland was to find a wrench in one of those corner-rubble buildings that was still there, and of course to search the cars for tools (I found one T1 wrench at the end of that day).

I'm glad I found this thread. It's always nice to know you aren't alone.

Sleeper zombies and mini-dungeons never really worked for me. 7D2D world is fully destructible, so I always ended up either waking them all up and kiting them outside or simply digging my way to the final prize. It never made any sense to me to follow the obvious way in and trigger all the traps .

I miss the old cities that you had to scout from outside first before you could go in.

I agree we need wondering zombies/hordes back!!!!!!! We have to tell them that we want these futures back asp:D as in posting threads about we need wondering zombies/hordes back:) just don't spam left and right :( once or twice a day we could post about these futures until they say something. We need these futures back!!!!

Cause right now zombies are not really a threat:(

steel tools, purple chainsaws and augers on day 8? You sir, are a liar

Not at all, mister. Puting points into adventurer and doing fetch quests for 3 traders. At tier 5 quests I can pick 2 high ql rewards per quest. Im on 120 mins days though, so on 60 min days it would be day 16ish.

And that is why i play without POI's when i play. Because i found most poi's to be a combined weaponshop/toolstore/foodshop/pop'n pills these days, and add to that the trader and vending machine foods. Of course, without POI's there's no cities either, so there are some tradeoffs compared to A11. Not much chance of finding a gun either, heck, the main reason i spent a day in the wasteland was to find a wrench in one of those corner-rubble buildings that was still there, and of course to search the cars for tools (I found one T1 wrench at the end of that day).

This sounds kind of awesome.... I'm intrigued by the no POI play through. Been planning out in my mind how I'd do it. I'd imagine the first horde night would be brutal.

This is the first alpha where we have simply ignored nightfall. If out looting or exploring or whatever we just keep going. Night is no threat now. The days of finding a house to hole up (outside day 1 or day 2) or returning to your base to pass the night in safety are LONG GONE. It's a crying shame.

Sorry but that distinction goes to Alpha 16 when stealth was introduced and smell removed and zombies were broken neither being able to hear or see you from 3 blocks away at night. If you have been hiding at night for all of A16 and A17 then the joke's on you. I do miss the nights being scary and dangerous but I've been missing it for a couple of years now and not a couple of months...

Sorry but that distinction goes to Alpha 16 when stealth was introduced and smell removed and zombies were broken neither being able to hear or see you from 3 blocks away at night. If you have been hiding at night for all of A16 and A17 then the joke's on you. I do miss the nights being scary and dangerous but I've been missing it for a couple of years now and not a couple of months...

Do you think it would be nice to replace zombies with mountainlions during nightime?

Do you think it would be nice to replace zombies with mountainlions during nightime?

If they implement mesures to keep players inside during the night, they must give us something useful to do. Maybe the spamcrafting of stonetools dont apeal to all, but it for sure beats staring into the blacknes of night.

Roland is right on that front. Once stealth got put in the zombies because a non-threat unless you wanted them to be. I think in a17 you could crouch walk right up on the random one out in the night and they wouldn't even see you. Sometimes you could have them see you, walk a couple blocks, crouch and they'd lose you.

I used to love tagging one with a pistol while crouched and watching the whole horde run past me because I was basically invisible.

If they implement mesures to keep players inside during the night, they must give us something useful to do. Maybe the spamcrafting of stonetools dont apeal to all, but it for sure beats staring into the blacknes of night.

If I'm not mining at night I'll usually be crafting mods for my armor and weapons . Then I'll spend some time making ammo and cement. Doing repairs to my base. Cooking up some food for the next day .

If I'm not mining at night I'll usually be crafting mods for my armor and weapons . Then I'll spend some time making ammo and cement. Doing repairs to my base. Cooking up some food for the next day .

Sure, after you have unlocked the recipes maybe. but in the early game, when the spamcrafting used to take place, there is nothing to do than stare at the wall, or maybe the stars. (Stare at stars.).

This is the first alpha where I actively go loock for Zs during nighttime to fight the boredom. (did not play much in A17, but it was apparently the same in that respect.)

Edit: I do all my building at night though.

I understand that the world feels more empty via not having that many wandering zombies. That said, the pimps have also stated afew times that this has been done partly for performance issues and that this will allow for events to occur in A19. The events could be more wandering hordes at random times, or could be like a quest npc running your way and needs help or something. Main thing is that they weren't just poofed away from wandering for no reason, and we'll get more gameplay and a more stable game thanks to that.

And looking at it gameplay wise, wandering zombies in towns weren't something that was actually hard to deal with. Back then me and my friends would just run through the town, kill every zombie, and then loot buildings mostly hastle free. Now though if you wanna loot through buildings you have to deal with the zombies while you are looting. It just feels more tense looting now than the prior ways. If anything, maybe they need the sleepers to act faster due to your presence.

Sorry but that distinction goes to Alpha 16 when stealth was introduced and smell removed and zombies were broken neither being able to hear or see you from 3 blocks away at night. If you have been hiding at night for all of A16 and A17 then the joke's on you.

Not really, since in the same way I refuse to build an infinite ramp in A17/18, I also refused to exploit stealth in earlier versions when it was broken.

I'm glad I found this thread. It's always nice to know you aren't alone.

Sleeper zombies and mini-dungeons never really worked for me. 7D2D world is fully destructible, so I always ended up either waking them all up and kiting them outside or simply digging my way to the final prize. It never made any sense to me to follow the obvious way in and trigger all the traps .

I miss the old cities that you had to scout from outside first before you could go in.

Oh yes! Good times that haha, miss em:)

Me and my friend finished our game now at day 64. There was no more to do, random map and we were preparing to leave and move to another location. I stumbled upon the gyrocopter blueprint and scouted around. Turns out there is no more cities to discover on the map, nor zombies, nor threat or need for anything whatsoever. We felt almost sad haha, wtf has happened.

I choose to quote my friend here: "What a state this is in, fckin hell what a state"... few words but describes it well haha.

And looking at it gameplay wise, wandering zombies in towns weren't something that was actually hard to deal with. Back then me and my friends would just run through the town, kill every zombie, and then loot buildings mostly hastle free.

orly, and on which difficulty setting was this? 6+ cops spilling out of buildings once you had aggroed something was not to be sniffed at. And this was back when cops were actually dangerous.

I understand that the world feels more empty via not having that many wandering zombies. That said, the pimps have also stated afew times that this has been done partly for performance issues and that this will allow for events to occur in A19. The events could be more wandering hordes at random times, or could be like a quest npc running your way and needs help or something. Main thing is that they weren't just poofed away from wandering for no reason, and we'll get more gameplay and a more stable game thanks to that.

And looking at it gameplay wise, wandering zombies in towns weren't something that was actually hard to deal with. Back then me and my friends would just run through the town, kill every zombie, and then loot buildings mostly hastle free. Now though if you wanna loot through buildings you have to deal with the zombies while you are looting. It just feels more tense looting now than the prior ways. If anything, maybe they need the sleepers to act faster due to your presence.

Stable yes, but the prize of it is high. Its a completely new game made cause of it. Now its a RPG game with a tad of survival. For them who loves A16 and forward, i doubt most of you been around the earlier alphas. We all have diff taste, that i respect:).

We felt almost sad haha, wtf has happened.

We have discussed this at length and often suspected a different person (or team) took over the main design decisions. Somewhere just after A16.4 is when things noticeably started to go downhill for us. That's when the mechanics became bland and generic. The content improved but the gameplay and actual survival experience took a major nosedive.

We have discussed this at length and often suspected a different person (or team) took over the main design decisions. Somewhere just after A16.4 is when things noticeably started to go downhill for us. That's when the mechanics became bland and generic. The content improved but the gameplay and actual survival experience took a major nosedive.

Agree.

I remember when telling my friends to get this golden gem called 7DTD. They had a look and went "that graphic though", i replied, "juat wait til you play it, its all about the gamplay and feel to it, not the graphics"

Now there is a beautiful world, nice POI:s except for all dungeoning, but gameplay is lost.

Skinning the mountainlions...

Archived