Best Attribute Combinations

Jedo

If this has been posted before, feel free to redirect me.

I finished the strength tree (no pack mule or clubs), and was wondering where I should focus next. I would just pick up some QoL perks, but you can only get one of each before needing to go deeper in the attribute. I thought it would be better just to focus on one like I did, probably ignoring the weapon perks.

What do you think would pair well with strength sledges/shotties? I could see agility (for stealth) or fortitude (for stamina) or intellect (for traps). Agility or fortitude also would benefit giving me an armor class and allow me to craft them. I seriously cannot find decent armor.

----------------

So that this isn't just a narrowly focused thread, feel free to post different attribute combinations which you have found to be good. I like ideas for future playthroughs. ;)

ANY combination of attribute focuses works in the game currently.

Base it on your playstyle...there really isn't a 1-size-fits-all.

Want better and more loot (wrenching and loot bonus and lockpicking)? Or prefer to fight at range with mobility and decisive shots? go perception.

Want up close and personal, super efficient mining, and/or melee longevity? go strength.

similarly for all the other trees. See what you do and what you want to do, then pick the attributes that really appeal.

Notably, strength and perception have several very nice QoL skills that require 1,2,3,5,7 instead of 1,3,5,7,10 in the attribute, which means splashing in that attribute up to 3 or 5 can yield really nice bonuses beyond putting those same points in a different attribute.

posted this before and before:

Intellect is currently the best tree.

Two junk turrets are cc akin to you shooting with an smg with aimbot (in a 90° angle)

Add to that all the extra perks in the int tree...

the only thing it is missing is a ranged weapon.

So I would advise:

go full intellect (10 and 5 in turrets then whatever you want)

and choose one support tree with good ranged firepower (so either smg or machineguns, maybe shotgun, if you feel comfortable with those (they lost some of their punch for me but maybe because i didnt specc into them)

I’d say perception or agility are the most useful in general. Lucky looter and salvage operations help with getting better gear or harvesting more with three wrench respectively. Penetrator is also probably useful as it reduces enemy armor. I’m not sure if it applies to shotguns. Agility is helpful for the increased sneak damage, staying hidden, and run and gun. In my playthroughs I have spent points in perception, strength and agility. I’ve only put points in intellect if I struck out finding schematics or buying items from traders. In my current playthrough I’ve not put a single point in intellect.

For melee the best line is str for sledge, sex t-rex as well as the mining perks, shotgun is also a godly weapon later on especially with a pump shotgun with the tube mod to give it a 12-13 round clip and a choke. For ranged I prefer the shotgun or AK, as fortitude has several useful perks like str does that are always useful. Healing factor, iron gut, living off the land, heavy armor use. I don't really touch perception, int or agi at all as they just don't really offer much of value I can't get elsewhere. I usually go with a hybrid build, 6 or 7 str (6+cigar makes it 7), 5 fort is my initial goal. This gets you: 4 in sledge/shotgun 5 in sex t-rex, miner 69'er and motherload, 5 fort gets you healing factor 3, living off the land 1 (going higher than 1 is just stupid), 3 in the heavy armor perk, and 3 in the machine gun perk. After this I tend to spread out a bit, I recently get 3 perception, as that lets you get up to level 3 in salvage ops and lucky looter. I never add to int period as there is no need to at all in a18. Only int perk I get is adv engineering 1 and only reason for that is for the forge craft speed boost which stacks nicely with a anvil. Only reason for me to touch agility would be for handguns rest of the stuff in the line is worthless just like intel.

I generally run with 1 melee weapon which is sledge and I do carry a knife with me but that sjust for butchering I don't use it for anything else. Then I have 3 guns, a Pistol, a Ak47(or m60 if I got one) and a shotgun (pump prefered but double barrel is ok to). Gun i use the most is probally the pistol or shotgun. Pistol due to how common ammo is and a t4-6 pistol can hit decently hard modded and shotgun just hits like a truck and is ideal for raiding poi's, its very easy to 1 shot ferals with headshots with a decent double barrel or pump shotgun, and this is on warrior diffculty where the player gets a 13-17% penalty to do their damage vs zombies. The ak47/m60 I usually leave at base for horde nights, and take pistol/shotgun for poi raiding which since I use sledge I mostly melee anyway. T6 pump shotgun i have currently does 22x8 with buckshot, which is 176, and thats not including the 40% from my shotgun perk and then the 10% more from the book thats +10% shotgun damage. Base is 12x8 and assuming it works off the base, it would be. 28x8 (224 total on nomad) or 29x8 (232 on nomad). Shotgun has issues vs armored targets as it buffs their armor by 40% of the base value (most armored zombies have 20 armor, and they are soldier, biker and the utility worker and demolisher) So it usually takes a extra shot or 2 to kill them with a shotgun buckshot.

I almost always go 'quality of life' perks before I heavily invest in a single tree. It might be just more comfortable for me as I play at default difficulty.

With Strength being King in terms of what's really good, there are plenty of ways to diversify but they'll depend on your situation. SP definitely get some QoL but don't ignore the fact that there will be a threshold where the zeds get stronger while you become more versatile. Pistol is arguably one of the best backup weapons in the game. INT and FORT will give you the most QoL bonuses, as well some nice tricks and traps to add to your battlefield conditions. PER and AGI are kinda mixed bags, imo. If your headshot game is good, both of these make great initial choices, but you'll likely stay for the utility more than anything.

Archived