Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Potato settings, its LODing to air fast. Mine render probably 30 meters away.

Hmm. Thing is my rig isn't a potato and is in fact set to the Ultra preset.

Edit: Alright, weirdness. It claimed to be on the Ultra preset but I noticed a few settings that I was pretty sure were not in fact Ultra preset so I changed it down and back to Ultra. Sure enough it had really been customized (not sure when) and was not really on Ultra despite its claims.

Don't think I want to try it on actual Ultra, mostly due to performance hits like later parts of tier V buildings and hosting 2-4 other players, so I'll bump things down overall but then try 100% LOD and high tree quality and see how it goes.

I think master chef should give more than just recipes / slight cooking speed, at least on max rank to eliminate all chance of food poisoning

Thing is the crafted items would have to have different stats for who cooked them so they wouldn't stack with similar items anymore.

I'm not a fan of the current food poisoning chance implementation but I see why they did it the way they did. Fortunately vitamins are fairly plentiful.

wth... I log into my game and my character is reset to level 1 as if a new character?

edit: the world is there, it is day 48, no gear, no levels, just wiped. back up is level 1 as well.

Could this be a different player profile thing? I haven't messed with that but it sounds like the game thinks you're on a different player.

nope, checked that first. same profile

My friends server provider is having problems with the last update to where we was set back to lvl 1 but also day one but the base we built was still around. But we lost most sounds and when we tried going into another chunk we kept falling through the world. We tried loading a back up didn't work. We tried just starting a new world didn't work. They said something must be wrong with the newest update and nothing they can do. I had a different server provider that had a different game on it that I wasn't goin to pay for anymore and loaded up a 7dtd server on it to test it out and everything is working. They contacted them and said the game is working fine on another server provider so it has to be on them.

Not sure what what it is and not sure if our problem is related to yours. But something is definitely going on. I will see if I still have the screen shot of the error message we was getting with my friends server provider.

The Crossbows, blunderbuss, and Hunting rifle (all single shot, auto reload weapons) when fired from ADS mode, lock you into ADS mode, if you dont want to be locked into that you have to cancel the animation.

It can become disorientating, and hinders normal movement and view, especially with a scope equipped.

MM had said he made a ticket to see if we could get the option to disable auto-ADS. I dont know if that worked out, but the single fire weapons I think should be tested a bit if you dont already know what I mean.

From a balancing perspective these weapons are already not the most preferred, the added awkwardness to combat this causes I believe should be looked at.

A potential fix would be either a menu option to disable all auto-ADS, or like we used to have, tap RMB to auto-ADS, hold RMB for only manual-ADS with no lock in.

^^ What he said ;)

My god this is sad. If this is the best knife/spear build, hitting and running and climbing, how does the average build look like? He barely uses spears because they can't kill anything.

"I can't deal with two guys,one guy is too much"

I can do the same with a stone sledgehammer (preferably iron sledgehammer because it actually deals damage) . Zombies get stunned and I can headshot them when they are down. He also never becomes encumbered because that's it means death in higher difficulties.

The only different thing I somewhat knew but didn't realise is power attacking with knives instantly stuns zombies? while I can't stun zombies 100% of the time when I use sledgehammers.

Yeah knives are mediocre and spears are garbage alright, thanks for clarifying it.

Alright, alright, we get it. You suck at spears. I've just started a strength-build series (

), and I'm using spear early on because the club and the sledgehammer suck. For that matter, even after the sledgehammer gets decent you still can't hit a zombie two blocks down without crouching, which is no problem at all for spears -- and I'm not talking about throwing. My experience is that people who suck at spears are like people who sucked at sledgehammer back in alpha 15/16. They try to fight with it at a closer range than it's intended, and it just doesn't work out. If the zombie is within sledgehammer range, it is already too close for the spear.

Knives are mediocre, sure, I'll give you that, but remember to compare them to wood clubs. Try a machete if you are talking blades. But even the sucky knife, if you are high leveled in Deep Cuts, can easily kill an irradiated wight, which is not the case of any other melee weapon. You just have to wait for it to die outside it's range, but, hey, being outside a zombie range is good. We are talking insane difficulty.

Also, you seem to have watched the same part I did. He was level 2 -- I assume Gazz posted the link before Jonah had died, and since it was permadeath...

A18.2 (b5)...delivered some optimization...

qWSqDmK.jpg

Yes, optimization is a good thing, but there is probably too much :)

why do you rush to extremes? :D

This is what mAcro-splat?

You left the cubic terrain many years ago. Now minecraft is calling you back?

When will simplify the crafting system to crafting grid? ;)

That's a processed dtm (height map). It is ensuring the prefab isn't floating in the air. The alternative would be to not spawn a prefab there, since the terrain dips, but that can easily lead to lack of prefabs on random maps.

It has nothing to do with microsplat. Feel free to suggest an alternative to the above -- for which I'm quite thankful, btw, and have wondered since alpha 16 why they weren't doing it.

I think master chef should give more than just recipes / slight cooking speed, at least on max rank to eliminate all chance of food poisoning

The best chef in the world can get food poisoning from the hot dog he bought from the street vendor.

What I'd like to see is food quality, and have food poisoning chance be related to food quality. You can then improve the quality of the food you prepare to reduce food poisoning chance. It also opens up interesting customizations, like having freezer loot table give better food quality than cabinet loot table. You won't be able to stack food, in this case, but you don't need to go out with a 10-stack of something that gives you 50 fullness.

Cans don't give food poisoning, so they can remain without quality, and stack as normal. Same goes for all vegetables, since you don't craft them. Food that is really crappy to begin with, such as charred meat, can also remain quality-less, and with their food poisoning chance.

I'd put points in Master Chef for that.

nope, checked that first. same profile

Had this exact thing happen on a player hosted server. His comp crashed as i was picking/opening a safe. Once we re-launched i was no longer in the POI but Lvl. 1 across the map.

I assume it was a corrupt player .bak file. Real shame.

Madmole, the game freezes way too often even more so in A18.2

I kept thinking how I needed more ram for this game until I tried to open the console to test a few commands when this appeared in multiple lines

"detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline falling back to default shader"

I've searched it and it appears it is a VERY serious Unity issue. You need to check it out.

Alright, alright, we get it. You suck at spears. I've just started a strength-build series (
), and I'm using spear early on because the club and the sledgehammer suck. For that matter, even after the sledgehammer gets decent you still can't hit a zombie two blocks down without crouching, which is no problem at all for spears -- and I'm not talking about throwing. My experience is that people who suck at spears are like people who sucked at sledgehammer back in alpha 15/16. They try to fight with it at a closer range than it's intended, and it just doesn't work out. If the zombie is within sledgehammer range, it is already too close for the spear.

Knives are mediocre, sure, I'll give you that, but remember to compare them to wood clubs. Try a machete if you are talking blades. But even the sucky knife, if you are high leveled in Deep Cuts, can easily kill an irradiated wight, which is not the case of any other melee weapon. You just have to wait for it to die outside it's range, but, hey, being outside a zombie range is good. We are talking insane difficulty.

Also, you seem to have watched the same part I did. He was level 2 -- I assume Gazz posted the link before Jonah had died, and since it was permadeath...

You can't hit zombies two blocks down without crouching, what? I hit them just fine. I don't even need to bleed the irradiated zombies I just knock them down with power attacks and headshot them.

I don't use clubs, they are a waste of skill points.

If we go so later levels when you find irradiated zombies I can kill them with sledgehammers just fine. I usually only need an anti-rad mod and I'm good to go.

I use wood clubs. They are cheap and extremely powerful if you invest in them. With the bonuses they can be brutal. Eventually I switch to bats though. Sledges are beasts but too slow for my taste both in handling and moving with them. Knifes are awesome as they have an extremely high chance of making stuff bleed and you can power beat 3 times in the time it takes for other weapons to do 1 PA. Their only drawback is the range and the fact that in each bleed the enemy recalculates its rage.

Knuckles are too close and personal to be any good in crowd control, but they certainly are a lot of fun.

I use wood clubs. They are cheap and extremely powerful if you invest in them. With the bonuses they can be brutal. Eventually I switch to bats though. Sledges are beasts but too slow for my taste both in handling and moving with them. Knifes are awesome as they have an extremely high chance of making stuff bleed and you can power beat 3 times in the time it takes for other weapons to do 1 PA. Their only drawback is the range and the fact that in each bleed the enemy recalculates its rage.

Knuckles are too close and personal to be any good in crowd control, but they certainly are a lot of fun.

I, too, prefer clubs/bats over spears, sledges or knives and for the same reasons you give. I'll put a caveat though that early game I'll take a stone spear over basic wood club because the basic club is nigh-on worthless damage, as is the spear in melee, but the spear has greater range and a throw option. Once I get an iron club, though, the spear usually goes away. The double-barrel is my early back-up weapon and benefits from being under the same stat as club. I've dropped 3 zombies in a single double-barrel shot before so it gets high marks for me as a back-up.

That's a processed dtm (height map). It is ensuring the prefab isn't floating in the air. The alternative would be to not spawn a prefab there, since the terrain dips, but that can easily lead to lack of prefabs on random maps.

It has nothing to do with microsplat. Feel free to suggest an alternative to the above -- for which I'm quite thankful, btw, and have wondered since alpha 16 why they weren't doing it.

Yes,yes, this is not a "macro-splat" - it is a low-res dtm.

I don't think the reason for this has anything to do with floating prefabs.

Although, indirectly it can certainly help, as well as cubes in minecraft do not have density.

I about this:

B9PkO12.jpg

As you can see there are no prefabs on these "cubes".

The best chef in the world can get food poisoning from the hot dog he bought from the street vendor.

What I'd like to see is food quality, and have food poisoning chance be related to food quality. You can then improve the quality of the food you prepare to reduce food poisoning chance. It also opens up interesting customizations, like having freezer loot table give better food quality than cabinet loot table. You won't be able to stack food, in this case, but you don't need to go out with a 10-stack of something that gives you 50 fullness.

Cans don't give food poisoning, so they can remain without quality, and stack as normal. Same goes for all vegetables, since you don't craft them. Food that is really crappy to begin with, such as charred meat, can also remain quality-less, and with their food poisoning chance.

I'd put points in Master Chef for that.

I have to agree with this, at the moment Master Chef really is more of a convenience perk.

Yes,yes, this is not a "macro-splat" - it is a low-res dtm.

I don't think the reason for this has anything to do with floating prefabs.

Although, indirectly it can certainly help, as well as cubes in minecraft do not have density.

I about this:

B9PkO12.jpg

As you can see there are no prefabs on these "cubes".

I think your missing the purpose here. The prefab is placed afterwards but the ground is placed then the spot customised itself using this to be able to allow a prefab to spawn on it.

Joel!!!!! HAPPY THANKS GIVING! Thank you for bringing us 7D2D. Spending today with Rick again? I wonder what new idea or game you guys will discuss over Thanksgiving dinner this year. 😁

Thanks no but I'll be spending some days at his new place this weekend and part of next week. We've got 5-10 years planned already so the next bright idea might include retirement.

Well... I can confirm it is a bug. It happens with piles of canned food and with the cement mixer. Low settings of course.

The canned food appears too close compared to ammo piles and medical supplies.

The cement mixer cuts in half into an ugly nest-shape triangle at similar distance.

Cement mixer should stay in a similar shape in a distance and canned food piles should be visible from a good enough distance like its peers. I don't know what's the LOD rendering distance of say the ammo piles/ medical but they should exactly the same. Right now they are not because canned food piles LOD is too short compared to those two.

Edit: Needs further testing. I will report my findings when I have the time.

Its a % of screen space its allowed to occupy. Not sure how much low detail settings change that. A screenshot of it rendering/not rendering could help.

Wow. this cut the GPU usage from 99% to 35-40%.

now I can increase shadowrange, turn on reflected shadows, increase AF to max and more and still only use 70% GPU. All with a solid 60 fps.

insane to use such a resource hogging system for something barely noticable. :/

It is highly noticeable in certain use cases.

Id say enough people have given you critique that falls inline with my opinion. As for the FOV slider, it more then bugs me. It makes the game unplayable for me and others getting motion sickness. You have it set to what consoles use LOL. Every First Person PC game has an fov slider man, literally no excuse. I use to be 7D2D’s biggest fan. (Purchased 8 copies for friends) but i have disliked many of your design choices. (Which is fine it’s my opinion and why i only use Ravenhearst now for a more hardcore experience) What pisses me off is how you act towards people who say they dislike certain game changes. Just don’t forget, it’s your hardcore fans who buy 4-10 copies and tell all of their friends to buy the game that are your bread and butter, and who critique your game the most. And are the reason you can afford a nice new truck.

But there is a console command to type in to set the FOV, yes? We need to discuss adding it back. Sorry but no games I play have FOV Sliders. Ark, Rust, Fallout, Skyrim, Outer Worlds, Red Dead 2 do not have FOV sliders AFAIK. It makes the game ugly, and is kind of a cheat because you see a lot more screen than everyone else, and it does impact performance on some systems. A lot of games are 60, we are 65.

I'd like to see batch commands you can add to your steam launch command, like --fov 90 would set it to 90 every time you launch. Then its not a PITA. Would 70 or 80 be enough to remove the motion sickness? To me games look horrible at 90 with extreme fish eye of objects on the side of the screen and characters look tiny when you want to see the details of the NPC you are talking to and zombies need to be in your face attacking you and not look like they are back 10', all side effects of a high FOV.

Completely random thing I just noticed watching a JaWoodle vid: take bigger weapons out of the small/desk/wall safes. He got an AK out of one. That thing is twice the size of the safe. Lol.

Should be pistols/magnum/maybe DB shotty at best. And no sledges or bats or fire axes. Cuts down on finding too many weapons and makes more sense. :emmersed:

Maybe that wall safe is a full meter long :)

Don't get me wrong, I agree With most of that statement, And while you are right only larger things (like shopping carts and the metal bars, piles of cinderblocks, broken washing machines, car skeletons etc in the wasteland) Really stop vehicles, The problem is in the wasteland those things are every inch of the terrain. I guess it'll be less of a problem as roads get better but I don't want to have to spend days and days of in game time breaking cinderblocks to have a clear path. or even a path at all to a location. In game, my bike and motorcycle are treated like solid gold, like they would be in an actual apocalypse but if I go anywhere near a wasteland i literally cannot avoid hitting things constantly. Which right now is a bit annoying but fine, but if those impacts can cause breakdowns it's going to start to become more frustrating than exciting because they may happen constantly. And I know I'm not the only one who has that problem in that specific biome. Honestly I'd love to see the wasteland be just a little nicer but everywhere else be a little harder to drive in.

What I guess i'm trying to say is that avoiding the obstacles needs to be a viable option and right now with the clutter of the wasteland biomes it really feels like it's not.

I would say that driving in the wasteland will be a high risk thing. It will be radiated and very very dangerous, so we should make it pretty hard to use a vehicle in it. Roads might be accessible, but off road, no. It never has been due to land mines and the sheer amount of debris and is that way by design. Proceed with care, high risk and high reward is the plan. The fact is you don't NEED to go there unless you want a challenge.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic

Archived