Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Only 1 way to settle this. Post before and after screenshots, to let everyone see. :)

Sure. Testing on A18.1 (b8) since that's the stable build.

Spec: i7-4710MQ CPU, 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM, GTX 980M GPU (overclocked by hand, pulls numbers similar to a desktop GTX 970) and running off a 1TB NVME drive.

Video settings: 1600x900 windowed (this is my modding machine so I run windowed for ease of checking logs and such), no AA, full texture quality, low texture filter, middle UMA quality, low reflection quality, no reflected shadows, near shadow distance, high quality water, 50% water particles, high view distance, 50% LOD distance, low tree quality (no idea why it was set to that when I usually use medium), normal grass distance, no occlusion, no bloom (I don't like it), no depth of field (don't like it), no motion blur (again, don't like it, it gives me headaches), no SSAO, no sun shafts, no texture streaming.

Microsplat on.

MS_On.jpg

Microsplat off.

MS_Off.jpg

Happy to do more testing on my main gaming rig later, since that runs at 1440p with more details turned up.

Yes there's some slightly more detail in the mountains right at the back, but it's not worth 70fps.

1009556511_MSOn.jpg.c6103e306038df8900c45867362b6fd5.jpg

8548088_MSOff.jpg.d0130ea71a2635c6066c7cda09135d92.jpg

Oh this discussion again ? :D

I'm not gonna repeat myself again (especially since I got trolled last time) but I'm "glad" the system still confuses people. Why the "thirsty" level isn't a static treshold but is a moving target because it's a percentage of your max is... indeed weird.

Oh this discussion again ? :D

I'm not gonna repeat myself again (especially since I got trolled last time) but I'm "glad" the system still confuses people. Why the "thirsty" level isn't a static treshold but is a moving target because it's a percentage of your max is... indeed weird.

I thought I was going insane and being dumb. Thanks! Now I feel less of a dumbass.

Yeah I see the point and the math of it, It just would make a lot more sense to me to have the warning at a set value instead of percentage.

If nothing else easier to grasp immidiatly :p

Does this mean when the ill effects of dehydration also increases as we level up though? Dying from thirst at 0 water goes to dying from thirst at 25 water? :p

AGREED this needs to be set at a static number and not based on %. Its extremely weird why TFP have choosen %, it just does not fit the thirst/hunger system and is over complicated IMO. A set value would get rid of all confusion especially for new players and would make it all fit together nicely.

Excellent, the pictures show the tradeoff very well.

I see another difference: Without microsplat the colors look a lot more washed out (on my monitor at least). Can this be countered with gamma or some other setting?

A further interesting thing would be to compare the non-splat-Version to a turned down A18.2 b5 Terrain Quality video option as well.

I.e. is the new setting an adequate substitute to sphereii's patches?

AGREED this needs to be set at a static number and not based on %. Its extremely weird why TFP have choosen %, it just does not fit the thirst/hunger system and is over complicated IMO. A set value would get rid of all confusion especially for new players and would make it all fit together nicely.

well imho it does make sense. While playing, I would rather get heads up when I am at half hydratation then a static number.

What does not make sense is debuff that is tied to it. That essentially removes reason for having hydratation pool increasing.

well imho it does make sense. While playing, I would rather get heads up when I am at half hydratation then a static number.

What does not make sense is debuff that is tied to it. That essentially removes reason for having hydratation pool increasing.

What I mean is the warning pops up at a set value, say when you reach 50 hydration then the warning pops up. do % just makes no sense. the flaws of using % has already been pointed out. see above conversation.

Its a constant guessing game without being forced to go look at exact numbers....over complicated how the system is based on %...I mean...I get why but its just not implemented in a good way at all, thus why there is so much confusion for new players. This is the only game I have every seen do this...i've been playing games for 30+ years..so.. its not normal and the reason its not is because its confusing and complicated.

Sorry if I am still not explaining my thoughts clearly...have not had my morning bowl yet lol. :)

I'll make a poll later about this when I have time to clearly think out my thoughts and articulate them properly.

Sure. Testing on A18.1 (b8) since that's the stable build.

Spec: i7-4710MQ CPU, 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM, GTX 980M GPU (overclocked by hand, pulls numbers similar to a desktop GTX 970) and running off a 1TB NVME drive.

Video settings: 1600x900 windowed (this is my modding machine so I run windowed for ease of checking logs and such), no AA, full texture quality, low texture filter, middle UMA quality, low reflection quality, no reflected shadows, near shadow distance, high quality water, 50% water particles, high view distance, 50% LOD distance, low tree quality (no idea why it was set to that when I usually use medium), normal grass distance, no occlusion, no bloom (I don't like it), no depth of field (don't like it), no motion blur (again, don't like it, it gives me headaches), no SSAO, no sun shafts, no texture streaming.

Microsplat on.

MS_On.jpg

Microsplat off.

MS_Off.jpg

Happy to do more testing on my main gaming rig later, since that runs at 1440p with more details turned up.

Yes there's some slightly more detail in the mountains right at the back, but it's not worth 70fps.

Can you still use the new way of farming tho

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent, the pictures show the tradeoff very well.

I see another difference: Without microsplat the colors look a lot more washed out (on my monitor at least). Can this be countered with gamma or some other setting?

A further interesting thing would be to compare the non-splat-Version to a turned down A18.2 b5 Terrain Quality video option as well.

I.e. is the new setting an adequate substitute to sphereii's patches?

Where are these so called splat options lol

A long time ago we were promised by devs that we'd have options to disable Post Processing and others alike to increase FPS.

It's been a while and I now have memorized that, to increase FPS I must type on the console:

gfx af enable 0

gfx pp enable 0

when are these gonna be made into an option in the video menu so we don't have to type these in each time?

Video option Texture Filter set to Low is the same as gfx af enable 0.

Video options Bloom, SSAO and SS Reflections are post processing effects.

That just leaves Color Grading and Eye Adaptation, which are core effects that go together and we don't want people to commonly disable, so there are no plans to add UI options for them.

Ok, so quick test for A18.2 then... same system. Same settings other than Terrain Detail. Also got as close as possible to the same spot in the screenshots that I posted.

Microsplat on, Terrain Detail Lowest: 120-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail Low: 115-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail Medium: 106-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail High: 100-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail Ultra: 90-ish average fps (kinda expected this one to be the worst).

Will test with the patch shortly, if it works. :)

Video option Texture Filter set to Low is the same as gfx af enable 0.

Video options Bloom, SSAO and SS Reflections are post processing effects.

That just leaves Color Grading and Eye Adaptation, which are core effects that go together and we don't want people to commonly disable, so there are no plans to add UI options for them.

Sun shafts post processing as well, I think, right?

Ok, so quick test for A18.2 then... same system. Same settings other than Terrain Detail. Also got as close as possible to the same spot in the screenshots that I posted.

Microsplat on, Terrain Detail Lowest: 120-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail Low: 115-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail Medium: 106-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail High: 100-ish average fps.

Terrain Detail Ultra: 90-ish average fps (kinda expected this one to be the worst).

Will test with the patch shortly, if it works. :)

Ultra, High, Medium is the high quality shader, but with reducing terrain distance.

Low you drop to the simplified shader.

Lowest is a placeholder and actually the same settings as Low.

Ultra, High, Medium is the high quality shader, but with reducing terrain distance.

Low you drop to the simplified shader.

Lowest is a placeholder and actually the same settings as Low.

If one chooses to set it on, lets say medium but then does the console command sg OptionsViewDistance 12 will this conflict with the new terrain option in a negative way at all?

If one chooses to set it on, lets say medium but then does the console command sg OptionsViewDistance 12 will this conflict with the new terrain option in a negative way at all?

No conflict. Distant terrain does not use OptionsViewDistance.

No, that part checks out for me -- the 5 minutes stat is from the person I was talking to about this. I'd say more like 10 minutes, but, yeah, you can definitely do that. I take about 20, 30 minutes, real time, to gather 90k iron (enough to refill all my three forges). Level 4 in Miner and Mother, purple auger (decent random stats too) with breaker, buster, digger and diamond, drinking coffee, all mining magazines. Having all mining magazines is the main thing, since you can one-shot iron ore like crazy with it. For me, it happens every three or four seconds, but when it does it hits two or three blocks in a row. Since I've finished playing that world, I can log in, find a new iron mine (the one I had was exhausted), and time it.

Ok yeah I suppose fully tricked out you can, and with coffee, etc it could be possible, and it is intended to to be possible because late game ammo grind is a grind and you should have time to do other things and not become a complete slave to the grind of ammo, which is why I eventually get some traps to assist.

I have 5/5 in lucky looter. I haven't touched loot%. The shamway recipe has given me 100's of canned food. I would say my playstyle is similar to yours. I also always buy up the food everytime I visit a trader.

Well that just throws any argument about food abundance out the window. I NEVER EVER buy food because its a huge waste of money, unless I have no choice and its always very early game. I might buy up chili or salmon for chili dogs and stuff, but I don't eat the canned food straight its for recipes. Same as dog food, it goes into the elixer.

If you strictly ate every canned food you found, didn't buy food from a trader or vending machine, and didn't hunt or cook I would venture to say that you would always be worried about your food situation or you would actually be starving some of the time. Like try surviving only on canned food you looted, that is the only argument to say food is too abundant.

Archived