Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

No reason? Of course there's a reason. Something broke or went wrong. Happens all the time and usually when you are on vacation with your family in an unfamiliar place on a weekend after business hours.

I used to ride my bike to work every day and there were times I had to call in that I would be late because of a flat tire or a broken chain. Bikes do "break down". The break downs will be abstracted to simply a doesn't work status that you will need to repair and your imagination can fill in the reasons and details if you really need that.

Honestly? Random vehicle breakdows sounds kinda really unfun to me. We'll have to see how it's handled when it's implemented but it kinda sounds like one of those things that'd be neat for new players the first couple times it happens and just annoying and a waste of time for everyone else the 100th time it happens.

It will awesome IMO.

Imagine breaking down in the middle of the wasteland where you typically just get in your car and drive off if the threat gets too crazy. I go harvest cars for fuel at night, so a break down could be scary and ♥♥♥♥ happens so its realistic or plausible.

It will give weight to the grease monkey perks, faster repair, use less repair kits etc.

It would trigger rarely just driving down the road, but probably the more common use case is you hit something or went airborn and landed hard would trigger the need for an emergency road side repair.

okay I can maybe see this being alright, But Honestly I think if you plan to do that the wasteland need to become a bit more navigable by vehicles. as is it's impossible to drive 3 feet without hitting something in the wasteland and well, see my previous post. Constant repeated breakdowns stop being fun. Occasional dynamic ones that are avoidable through care sound like a game mechanic.

Alright, but if you're going to do breakdowns on collisions, we need to have a discussion about the physics of a motorcycle or 4x4 truck traveling at ANY speed, much less road speeds, hitting a shopping cart. Especially with the cow catchers on our vehicles in this game, that's going to be a minor inconvenience (more for the motorcycle), not a full-stop collision. Fair is fair here.

Not asking for turning them into an entity or anything like that (though "ragdolling" shopping carts would probably spawn a new sport), just make the shopping cart freaking LOSE when it gets hit, not WIN.

Also this. Similar thing to crashing into small rocks, if collisions are gonna break vehicles, fine, but make it so that everything isn't an indestructible wall to a vehicle.

Did you miss how we found level two items that were better than level fives? With that kind of RNG you need to check every item against every other item of the same kind, even comparing iron against steel. If you scrapped everything below level five you've probably thrown away some of your best gear even if it did lack mod slots.

Generally Highly modded items end up better than lower tier ones with better stats. Mods add stats, For armor you have plating for firearms they all add damage.

That is only possible with armor, and still the durability and other stats will be better and not overlap.

So what happens when your armor hits 0 durability? I usually only notice by happenstance and can't tell if there's any effect.

- - - Updated - - -

as is it's impossible to drive 3 feet without hitting something in the wasteland

The roads are there for a reason my guy.

Generally Highly modded items end up better than lower tier ones with better stats. Mods add stats, For armor you have plating for firearms they all add damage.

Absolutely true as long as you have mods to put in them. But early game when scrounging is most important and your gear is the worst, it's a consideration.

But more to the point, why is stat RNG even a thing, what does it add other than standing around trying to figure out which pair of pants to wear? What's the point of having discrete levels if RNG causes them to overlap, even if it is just for armor? It seems like complexity for its own sake, and is frustrating for new players.

It would trigger rarely just driving down the road, but probably the more common use case is you hit something or went airborn and landed hard would trigger the need for an emergency road side repair.

Time to polish those gyro skills . Can't hit anything in the air, and usually one choose a nice location for take-of and landing.... That and hope the random in flight malfunctions is really rare.

It would be relative to the damage it caused and remaining health of the vehicle. Going full stop when smashing into something hard would probably cause the most damage, hitting something that ragdolls would do a tiny bit.

I guess the main common things that could break are tyre’s. Get a damaged wheel/tyre vehicle slows or gets irratic to turn. ?

It will awesome IMO.

Imagine breaking down in the middle of the wasteland where you typically just get in your car and drive off if the threat gets too crazy. I go harvest cars for fuel at night, so a break down could be scary and ♥♥♥♥ happens so its realistic or plausible.

It will give weight to the grease monkey perks, faster repair, use less repair kits etc.

Looking forward to more random events like this to add to the survival challenge. One thing comes to mind though is that repair kits are easy to make and carry a bunch. So repairing breakdowns might become a slight annoyance of getting out of vehicle and watching a timer rather than changing the course of our plans.

If we had to loot/wrench for vehicle parts though, that would really make us change our plans, find nearest town/gas station to find parts. Maybe even wait till closest trader opens to buy parts. Pre a17 the vehicles had parts we could take out and repair, I always thought that was pretty cool and fun to keep vehicle in good working order.

Of course the dream would be My Summer Car levels of car maintenance :) U can't stop me from dreaming!

Please give gyro less breakdowns I kill myself plenty already flying that thing.

As I said, it would be from accidents primarily, or yeah the random chance starts below 75% for the random fuel filter clog or whatever. I think it will be awesome and avoidable if you drive good and maintain your vehicle.

It would be cool to link it with random events. For example you will overheat the engine and need to cool it down. The smoke will attract some zombies and you need to fend them off before you can continue

Alright, I will let this ONE cat out of the legendary loot bag:

Herb's Pickaxe Legend has it this pickaxe belonged to Herb "Cackler" Dugall. One shots all ore but uses twice the stamina.

I am a bit concerned that legendary items will overshadow most books. I think it is important that they either complement each other or have specific niches. It might be problematic if they did the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Grease monkey governs how easily you can repair a vehicle once we get random breakdowns in. It will be like the lockpicking mini game and use repair kits instead.

It is going to be actual minigame? Or you will just stare at your car for x seconds?

I sort of knew when TFP started using the word fun to describe why things were being changed or removed that it was going to eventually get taken too far. And now the community has latched on to that word like a vulture.

Not every game mechanic has to be fun in order to be balanced and present. Death isnt fun. Weapons needing repairs isnt fun. But they are vital to progression and resource sinking. Vehicle breakdowns will be no different. Right now vehicles are a ticket to ride free of any threats. Thats terribly unbalanced. And breakdowns CAN be fun. Imagine fending off a vehicle that broke down in the dead of night. It is quintessential tension.

"Fun" is only part of the equation.

An exciting and memorable experience does not have to be fun. It doesn't even have to be one where you "won".

And yes, balancing is not all about creating fun. It's about creating choice.

"Fun" is only part of the equation.

An exciting and memorable experience does not have to be fun. It doesn't even have to be one where you "won".

And yes, balancing is not all about creating fun. It's about creating choice.

I agree with this wholly. Some of our most memorable experiences occurred during some unplanned off the cuff moments involving failed base design on a hrode night or a wandering horde happening upon you during a poi hunt. Fun by the definition of it probably not. But memorable and exciting.

I can definitely see breakdowns and repairs if not over used becoming oh ♥♥♥♥ moments that are memorable. Things like your passenger fending off some running zeds while you frantically repair your car sound like perfect RP/story telling moments you can share. I think sometimes people take this a bit too seriously when it comes to just immersing and enjoying the overall experience.

Not everything needs to be telegraphed.

I agree with this wholly. Some of our most memorable experiences occurred during some unplanned off the cuff moments involving failed base design on a hrode night or a wandering horde happening upon you during a poi hunt. Fun by the definition of it probably not. But memorable and exciting.

I can definitely see breakdowns and repairs if not over used becoming oh ♥♥♥♥ moments that are memorable. Things like your passenger fending off some running zeds while you frantically repair your car sound like perfect RP/story telling moments you can share. I think sometimes people take this a bit too seriously when it comes to just immersing and enjoying the overall experience.

Not everything needs to be telegraphed.

Good point, I guess let's wait and see what the devs come up with. Could be really interesting.

Players are so quick to assume that a feature will be implemented in the worst possible way they can imagine. LOL

Thats because more often than not... they are. Not only saying for 7dtd but in many other games, they put in new features that end up being in the worst way possible. If your going to have bumpy roads/terrain cause it, you need to smooth out terrian in rwg a bit more, a ton more in the snow/desert biome, the snow mountains are in no ways smooth, they are super bumpy. I'd also like to see gas miledge be better if we are going to have to take the long way around at times. As with all new features I reserve final judgement till I try it for myself, but on paper it just sounds like nothing but an annoyance being put into the game for no reason other than to be annoying.

Looking forward to more random events like this to add to the survival challenge. One thing comes to mind though is that repair kits are easy to make and carry a bunch. So repairing breakdowns might become a slight annoyance of getting out of vehicle and watching a timer rather than changing the course of our plans.

If we had to loot/wrench for vehicle parts though, that would really make us change our plans, find nearest town/gas station to find parts. Maybe even wait till closest trader opens to buy parts. Pre a17 the vehicles had parts we could take out and repair, I always thought that was pretty cool and fun to keep vehicle in good working order.

Of course the dream would be My Summer Car levels of car maintenance :) U can't stop me from dreaming!

Please give gyro less breakdowns I kill myself plenty already flying that thing.

A gyrocopter should be able to land safely with autorotation when the motor breaks down. As usual the biggest threat to your survival is sitting behind the pilot stick :cocksure:

I really hope that we will get events that are as random as they are difficult to manage.

Madmole seems slightly obsessed with the blood moon but to be honest it's far from being my favorite feature. During many alphas there was no blood moon and the game was no less awesome.

In a survival, we all seek a form of routine to ensure our safety. This routine must be jostled regularly by vicious devs (who said with a german accent ?) to keep the game exciting.

So yes, I want REAL random hordes that come running, I want my vehicle to crash, I want to be sick at the worst time, I want everything not to be predictable.

And I want rivers of tears on the forum, of course.

I really hope that we will get events that are as random as they are difficult to manage.

Madmole seems slightly obsessed with the blood moon but to be honest it's far from being my favorite feature. During many alphas there was no blood moon and the game was no less awesome.

In a survival, we all seek a form of routine to ensure our safety. This routine must be jostled regularly by vicious devs (who said with a german accent ?) to keep the game exciting.

So yes, I want REAL random hordes that come running, I want my vehicle to crash, I want to be sick at the worst time, I want everything not to be predictable.

And I want rivers of tears on the forum, of course.

'Vehicle breakdown may give you food poisoning'-feature confirmed !

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic

Archived