Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Originally we thought they would be purple only, but then I was thinking, doesn't that make this a 2% feature? Most people never make it to level 100, so why put all this work into it so 2% of the audience might start to see them? Let them spawn in all colors sooner so maybe by day 30 you find your first brown legendary item and as the game progresses you start seeing better quality ones and higher tier ones come in.

you could put it in rare loot containers like hidden stash or something like that. Do POI modify the loot of containers in it

?

Just got a Idea for a legendary. "Nighteye" a gun with a scope and the scope has night vision.

As I said, it would be from accidents primarily, or yeah the random chance starts below 75% for the random fuel filter clog or whatever. I think it will be awesome and avoidable if you drive good and maintain your vehicle.

Alright, but if you're going to do breakdowns on collisions, we need to have a discussion about the physics of a motorcycle or 4x4 truck traveling at ANY speed, much less road speeds, hitting a shopping cart. Especially with the cow catchers on our vehicles in this game, that's going to be a minor inconvenience (more for the motorcycle), not a full-stop collision. Fair is fair here.

Not asking for turning them into an entity or anything like that (though "ragdolling" shopping carts would probably spawn a new sport), just make the shopping cart freaking LOSE when it gets hit, not WIN.

Opinion on our ~5 person server is almost totally positive, except for item stats RNG. Going from a 1->600 level system to a 1->6 level system was a great idea that simplified things without any dumbing down, but that's seriously undermined by level two items with better stats than level six items in the same tier. We all got tired enough of the extra inventory management it caused in every loot run that we modded item stat RNG out completely, and none of us miss it.

Besides that, the gyrocopter is so good that it makes all other vehicles except maybe the 4x4 pointless. Its top speed is only tied with the motorcycle, but completely ignoring terrain and never losing speed on bumps or debris makes its effective speed way higher. I don't think it's exactly the gyrocopter's fault; it is an end tier vehicle that definitely needs to justify the points it takes to unlock its recipes, and with land vehicles being so bad at offroading the gyrocopter can't help but being OP. Some physics tweaks to the motorcycle and 4x4 that helped their handling on rough terrain would be enough to encourage mid and late game diversity without making the gyrocopter pointless. Being able to hit a shopping cart without stopping would also help.

Let them spawn in all colors sooner so maybe by day 30 you find your first brown legendary item and as the game progresses you start seeing better quality ones and higher tier ones come in.

Love the idea.. When you reach that point of finding them are they still gonna be hella rare and/or is it gonna be the higher tier that remain hella rare (like 0.01% lol)? Also, will they be repairable or unrepairable?

I know this is future planned stuff and not current feedback/balance but i seen your comment and wanted to ask

Beer, 10 fort, modded spiked knuckles, maxed out brawler and if things get nasty toss down some fortbites. If I don't have fortbites I'll use a choke point like a door way and just pop heads off non stop as the fast fire rate of fists and high chance for dismember means heads don't hold up for long.

What do you mean increasing amount? They don't give 39k xp.

I never whined about the knuckles . In fact I think they might be even more powerful than the sledgehammer but they don't suit my taste. I was talking about the clubs and the knives. And the misunderstood axe.

I mean I did 3 tier V quests and I kept getting slightly more experience every time.

On the topic of Fergit'n Elixir, one current inconvenience is that it is not possible to tell apart whether you know something because of a perk, or because of a schematic. So when you are out looting, you can't tell whether you need to read something in case you want to respec later.

We all got tired enough of the extra inventory management it caused in every loot run that we modded item stat RNG out completely, and none of us miss it.

WTF? How many items do you loot in what time?

I'm also on a server with 3-4 Players and even if we loot a military POI, we usually get out with maybe 16-20 tools/weapons. Some of them being below lvl4, some of them are a weapon category no one plays with anyway.

It's not a really time consuming issue to sort out the remaining items at level 5 or higher.

I was thinking something along the lines of "a tire has blown out and you need to replace it" or "the engine exploded because you were driving through the desert at top RPM and you need to replace it".

Anecdote: many years ago a friend and I were in northwest Nevada and he drove over one of those nasty stiff shrubs that are out there. It tore through one of his oversized 4x4 tires, and not just a little, it ate the tire. We weren't even going fast, he just managed to hit one while avoiding several others. Desert plants grow up mean.

WTF? How many items do you loot in what time?

I'm also on a server with 3-4 Players and even if we loot a military POI, we usually get out with maybe 16-20 tools/weapons. Some of them being below lvl4, some of them are a weapon category no one plays with anyway.

It's not a really time consuming issue to sort out the remaining items at level 5 or higher.

Did you miss how we found level two items that were better than level fives? With that kind of RNG you need to check every item against every other item of the same kind, even comparing iron against steel. If you scrapped everything below level five you've probably thrown away some of your best gear even if it did lack mod slots.

Did you miss how we found level two items that were better than level fives? With that kind of RNG you need to check every item against every other item of the same kind, even comparing iron against steel. If you scrapped everything below level five you've probably thrown away some of your best gear even if it did lack mod slots.

I'm more interested in the amount of modslots than a 3 point difference in damage, so I always go with the top tier and compare amongst those items.

I'm trusting this is just an artifact of the game still being in alpha lol

Eh. I mean, if we're talking about consequences to collisions other than using a repair kit a tiny bit sooner, then I'm okay with it - it means dodging is more challenging at times. But if we're going to do that, make shopping carts function like all the cinder piles in the burnt forest and the random logs lying around in the desert - you hit those and they get destroyed.

Alright, but if you're going to do breakdowns on collisions, we need to have a discussion about the physics of a motorcycle or 4x4 truck traveling at ANY speed, much less road speeds, hitting a shopping cart. Especially with the cow catchers on our vehicles in this game, that's going to be a minor inconvenience (more for the motorcycle), not a full-stop collision. Fair is fair here.

Not asking for turning them into an entity or anything like that (though "ragdolling" shopping carts would probably spawn a new sport), just make the shopping cart freaking LOSE when it gets hit, not WIN.

It would be relative to the damage it caused and remaining health of the vehicle. Going full stop when smashing into something hard would probably cause the most damage, hitting something that ragdolls would do a tiny bit.

Love the idea.. When you reach that point of finding them are they still gonna be hella rare and/or is it gonna be the higher tier that remain hella rare (like 0.01% lol)? Also, will they be repairable or unrepairable?

I know this is future planned stuff and not current feedback/balance but i seen your comment and wanted to ask

Rare, repairable.

I do not really use vehicles as it is... sometimes the bicycle.

I will probably be less likely to buy a vehicle, and will probably never use its storage, if it has a breakdown/ encounter mechanic.

That does not mean I am against it, it could be funny depending on how it is done, but I will still be less likely to use them.

I never whined about the knuckles . In fact I think they might be even more powerful than the sledgehammer but they don't suit my taste. I was talking about the clubs and the knives. And the misunderstood axe.

I mean I did 3 tier V quests and I kept getting slightly more experience every time.

XP is random. Axe is a tool so its not that awesome at killing. Clubs are super awesome I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise. Clubs are better than Sledges IMO, you can afford to miss and can take on several zeds just fine.

That is only possible with armor, and still the durability and other stats will be better and not overlap.

Eh. I mean, if we're talking about consequences to collisions other than using a repair kit a tiny bit sooner, then I'm okay with it - it means dodging is more challenging at times. But if we're going to do that, make shopping carts function like all the cinder piles in the burnt forest and the random logs lying around in the desert - you hit those and they get destroyed.

We'll just put some cinder blocks in the cart so your immersion stays intact.

I do not really use vehicles as it is... sometimes the bicycle.

I will probably be less likely to buy a vehicle, and will probably never use its storage, if it has a breakdown/ encounter mechanic.

That does not mean I am against it, it could be funny depending on how it is done, but I will still be less likely to use them.

By that logic you should stop using tools, guns and melee weapons too then. All it means is you use a repair kit on it.

XP is random. Axe is a tool so its not that awesome at killing. Clubs are super awesome I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise. Clubs are better than Sledges IMO, you can afford to miss and can take on several zeds just fine.

I used to think that clubs were a downgrade animation wise. Not only that, I thought that they would be harder to use and not really great on the accuracy. And then I tried them. They are awesome. Now I am conflicted. Spears of clubs? ...maybe shivs? ...or fists? . Oh well.

Anyway, I love how they explode heads now and then. Can't wait to try them on living human entities lol.

By that logic you should stop using tools, guns and melee weapons too then. All it means is you use a repair kit on it.

Yeah, I mean I was not bashing it or anything. Just saying I do not use vehicles now, for the most part, and will probably be less likely to use them with that mechanic. Just general feedback. The mechanic would not affect me much anyway lel.

Back when repair kits were harder to make, I would almost never use anything that required them, heh.

Now that repair kits are cheaper, I actually use guns and stuff, but I still use stone tools most of the time.

I just tend to stay low tech and conserve everything. I make a great partner in multiplayer.

Coming back to the game after a 2ish year hiatus and really loving the direction the game is going in. It is looking beautiful, combat feels much more responsive, the new skill specialization is a home run, and there are plenty other things that I am really just having a great time with.

I am still taking in all the new changes before I can really give anything comprehensive, but I will say that while I do enjoy the ore nodes being visible above ground now, they seem a little too prevalent considering how powerful a functional mine is. It may be good to increase their rarity, reduce the total amount of ore blocks that can be found in a single vein, or make these locations a high heat area so there is a little more risk to the reward mining presents. I always thought it would be nice to have some specific underground threat you risk by digging down too far but not sure how that would work!

The risk/reward of settling and spending time around towns seems a little off as well since proximity to buildings is all reward without a lot of increased risk. I remember being constantly hunted in towns/cities and really enjoying that dynamic of only going in to the remnants of civilization when I was well prepared and that seems to be gone now.

Archived