Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

No it will look just like a normal pickaxe. We will have a LOT of legendary items we can't justify new meshes for all this stuff. Think Diablo, a cool name and attribute, but still the same look so we can get really creative and add a lot of content without feeling art bound.

Will legendaries have their own tier color? So, as soon as you unlock the crate you know if there's a legendary inside.

A little disappointed, but understandable. I was thinking something cool like his name engraved onto it or something.

Well we can do half a dozen cool mods with a neat model, or 100's or 1000's of cool text driven mods or even procedural ones as long as we don't pigeonhole ourselves into thinking you have to have a cool 3d model for every legendary.

Is it possible to add advanced rotation for some doors and blocks? For example for a garage door.

Give the choice to the player how to put blocks.

watch the video

Maybe, it depends if we can successfully block the stupid rotations that don't look good or have any use.

Alright, I will let this ONE cat out of the legendary loot bag:

Herb's Pickaxe Legend has it this pickaxe belonged to Herb "Cackler" Dugall. One shots all ore but uses twice the stamina.

I'd also give it very low durability so it needs to be repaired often, to balance out it'll 1 shot ore regardless of your miner 69'er skill and anything else.

Nope, don't need any of that. Not everything has to be designed to kill you unfairly.

Well, it wouldn't be much different than a landmine in some way... but you're right, you can't see gas so it would be unfair being killed by something you can't try to avoid by being alert.

So what if there was a way to actually see a gas leak before it explodes?

Example: a mild particle effect which you can see (like yellow smoke) so that you get a couple seconds to run for your life.

We/you have talked for years about making the underground more dangerous and now that finally the A18 framework is ready you could add some underground danger and the corresponding perk to help surviving better underground. I'm not a game dev, but I guess adding a random chance for a particle effect while mining shouldn't be the end of the world... am I right?

The Gamestage is determined by 3 factors. Your level, the number of days you have played and the level of difficulty.

As you wrote yourself, you can turn up the XP so that you are very fast on a high level. Or you can reduce the length of the day so that the days go by faster. The third possibility would be to increase the difficulty factor in the gamestages.xml file.

[...]

For example, to have the first feral zombies on day 5, the gamestage would have to be over 50 at this point. If I assume that you already have a level of 10 on day 5 then the multiplier would have to be 3.5 to have the first feral zombies by day 5.

I get that gamestage has multipliers, and that multipliers can be adjusted. But what I'm looking for is not to multiply the gamestage, but to accelerate its rate of growth. I'm not just looking to make the game harder overall, but to make it accelerate to an "impossible" point. Make it so the difficulty *will* overtake you, with settings so it can happen fairly quickly.

With a difficulty multiplier, the gamestage will only ever be 3.5x what it would normally be. The system I would instead want would be say grow by x per day. So 1x on day one, 1.5 on day two, 2 on day 3, by day 7 it would be 4.5x more advanced than it would normally be, by day 14 8x more advanced than it would normally be. So it creates an endpoint. The game will get to the point that you *can not* keep up - and you can adjust where that endpoint would occur, then try to beat it - try to survive that "impossible" night.

An adjustable growth rate would allow me to play out a scenario where I can still gather early, but the difficulty is going to ramp to the point where I have to decide with my playstyle should I be spending time trying to make a more defensible base (because *maybe* with 100% investment I could get to concrete in time), or should i spend time trying to get ammo, spend time trying to retrofit a PoI, what's the most efficient base design I can make with the resources I can gather. Should I try to get a cobblestone base, or multiple disposable wood bases and I hop from one to another.

Right now with progression, once you get past the first horde night, it's just about making a fortress. You're not really pressed for design or material choices because you've already passed the first check of the first horde night. the game is going to keep going in a linear style so that your progression will keep at least matching the horde.

So again, not a base multiplier, but an "accelerator", or "growth" option where difficulty keeps going up faster and faster.

Setting it to a horde every night doesn't work either, as you don't get the early gathering stage, and the horde is still linear.

I just started a new world with a horde every night, no xp bonus (since nightly hordes should provide tons of xp), and reduced loot to try to create a more limited world. But a growth option would be so much nicer.

Well we can do half a dozen cool mods with a neat model, or 100's or 1000's of cool text driven mods or even procedural ones as long as we don't pigeonhole ourselves into thinking you have to have a cool 3d model for every legendary.

I dont think there needs to be 100s or 1000s of different variations for legendary items. Having too many legendary items kinda takes away from the appeal. Legendaries should be limited.

Maybe 10 to 20 traits are considered lengendary, while all the rest are considered epic/pink...

Well, it wouldn't be much different than a landmine in some way... but you're right, you can't see gas so it would be unfair being killed by something you can't try to avoid by being alert.

I'd be happier if cave-ins were a more imminent threat, forcing you to erect supports as you mine. I usually do this anyway, somewhat for aesthetics, but I was actually killed by a cavein in my last game. Wife was mining nearby so I blamer her for getting a 5x5 area to collapse on me lol, but other than that I haven't seen very many caveins.

I'd be happier if cave-ins were a more imminent threat, forcing you to erect supports as you mine. I usually do this anyway, somewhat for aesthetics, but I was actually killed by a cavein in my last game. Wife was mining nearby so I blamer her for getting a 5x5 area to collapse on me lol, but other than that I haven't seen very many caveins.

Problem there is many players already hate having to mine, this will just make them hate it even more. I'm not a big fan of mining its extremly boring to do but nesscary sadly, I adapt and do it, but I don't really like it. Though when I get a t6 auger modded out with lv 5 miner 69'er/motherload I tend to laugh like a maniac as my auger just chews thru ore like its paper, then its a bit fun.

Its kinda like me in bases, I hate building a base as half the time it collapses on me, with no indication whatsoever its about to happen, and when it happens, instead of just the most recent block placed only falling off, the entire thing goes down, even stuff on the way otherside of the structure. Placing 1 block more than I should, should not result in the entire thing coming down, it should just be that one block while the rest are fine. Which then tells you that you need to build a support pillar there, to correct it. I had a 3 floor base right, I was building the roof, well I ended up placing 1 to many blocks, and it literally tore all 3 floors apart, all that stayed standing were my support pillars. All 3 of the floors completly collpased. Which is silly when I was on the top of the 3rd floor, and the 1st/2nd floors were fine and stable.

TL: DR I hate the Si system, and probally always will. Thankfully there are some good poi's I can use for bases, that are pretty soild I just have to build a little base in it, fire station, and the brown church with no graveyard to name 2 I rather like using. Ends up costing much more material to upgrade them though as they are pretty big poi's compared to if I just made a base myself.

Structural Integrity is one of the best parts of the game. An option to toggle it on/off wouldn't hurt though I guess (just ask my treehouse that fell down 3 times). What would be nice (wouldn't help much with mining though) would be an audio indication that one more block is going to put this structure over the edge. Like some groaning metal sound when you're a block away from causing a disaster.

This sounds fantastic. This will keep one exploring and scavenging a lot longer, as you seek out the Legendary with the high rolled stats what you looking for. Will definitely add a lot to the game, opposed to getting 1 Leg of each type, and then your done again, nothing to look forward to.

Maybe, it depends if we can successfully block the stupid rotations that don't look good or have any use.

As long as all rotations will be left unlockable in XML, it sounds fine! building weird $€@# is what a builder want, not necessary what looks good or has a use in 'normal cases' :)

I'm sure this idea has been shared here before but I think I'd be useful if there was a way to tell when a recipe is already known. There could be a little checkmark or other indicator to show what you know so you can either sell or give away these otherwise useless recipies. I think It would go well with the new recipe system.

I'm sure this idea has been shared here before but I think I'd be useful if there was a way to tell when a recipe is already known. There could be a little checkmark or other indicator to show what you know so you can either sell or give away these otherwise useless recipies. I think It would go well with the new recipe system.

This indicator already exists. At the top left is a book icon. If the book is open you already know the recipe. If it is closed you do not know the recipe yet.

So Madmole, I actually tested my theory of sledgehammers + turrets and it turned out as I've expected (actually better) . The only way to efficiently do tier V quests without firearms (nomad difficulty) is with a sledge hammer and turrets because they somehow can magically shoot iron. I was surprised by how efficient it was. Sometimes when zombies would fall from the rooftop I'd use firearms but those were the exceptions and not the rule. I managed to finish 3 tier V quests and gained tons of levels in the process because of their numbers.

Why don't you tell me your strategy of dealing with tier V quests with a melee weapon other than sledgehammer?

Also side note, I've noticed tier V quests giving increasing amount of experience (from 39000 to 41500) . Why does this happen?

I only use knuckles and i can clear tier V quests pretty easily (1-2 First aid kits). I usually force the zombies in through a doorway so only 1-2 zombies can hit me while i can hit 4-5 of them. I actually noticed that even though the animation shows you hitting with left hand the zombies to the right of your target gets hit before your target whilst a zombie to the left of your target will remain untouched. I play on Default dificulty and I am at GS 250.

When there is no doorway (like the rooftops) i usually just run clockwise around the group of zombies to hit 2-3 with every hit.

P.S. I NEVER use power attack D.S.

P.P.S. I have Tier 6 steel helmet and chest and Tier 5 steel boots, leg armor and gloves and Maxed out fortitude, armor and healing (forgot the perk names) D.D.S.

I'm sure the hunt for legendaries will be keep people occupied. But since the only sure way to get them is lvl5 dungeons, you now have to add more of those. Or:

1) delay the time until lvl4 dungeons are offered by the trader and

2) make lvl4 dungeons drop a legendary with a 60% chance and lvl5 dungeons with a 80% chance.

Just my subjective impression but this would keep many people from thinking they NEED to do lvl5 dungeons and then get frustrated because they "have to" do the same dungeon again and again.

This sounds fantastic. This will keep one exploring and scavenging a lot longer, as you seek out the Legendary with the high rolled stats what you looking for. Will definitely add a lot to the game, opposed to getting 1 Leg of each type, and then your done again, nothing to look forward to.

I second this whole heartily.

Ugh, no, just frigging no. We do not need random breakdowns of vehicles for no reason, what we do need is some better suspension on them espcially the 4x4 truck as that truck gets stuck on any little incline, to the point I stoped using it entirely after during 1 quest run I had to get out and pick up and move my truck 4 times as it kept getting stuck on terrain. Thankfully, it was pretty much empty, but if it would have been full of loot it would have been a major pain in the ass. Also as it is tools break way to damn fast like they are made of cardboard. I know gameplay and all, but people can use the same pickaxe for years in real life before it needs replacing, yet I mine for about 10-15 mins I had to repair it once or twice already. The gun weardown though is fine, as you need to clean a gun often irl or else the building of residue can screw things up, cause jams and misfires etc. However, Sledge, melee weapons (other than stun baton), non-motorized tools should rarely need repairs as they have no moving parts.

I don't like the sound of random breakdowns for no reason either, that's just a boring and even annoying event.

But what if there was a reason? Say it happened to be a RARE occurrence, and that it was actually a trigger for an event?

Motor dies, zombies crawl out of dirt (can we get that animation in TFP?) and gives out a reward at the end for those that stick around to the end of the event (no reward for the grease monkeys that want to book it). Now that I wouldn't be opposed to. Oh and bicycles do not breakdown.

Why don't you tell me your strategy of dealing with tier V quests with a melee weapon other than sledgehammer?

It always depends on the POI itself. At the hospital and the apartment building I usually use my crossbow and the baseball bat. But in the factories I rather use the shotgun.

I don't like the sound of random breakdowns for no reason either, that's just a boring and even annoying event.

But what if there was a reason? Say it happened to be a RARE occurrence, and that it was actually a trigger for an event?

Motor dies, zombies crawl out of dirt (can we get that animation in TFP?) and gives out a reward at the end for those that stick around to the end of the event (no reward for the grease monkeys that want to book it). Now that I wouldn't be opposed to. Oh and bicycles do not breakdown.

Maybe they are not completely random. What if breakdowns happen mostly when you drive over rough terrain instead of on streets.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic

Archived