Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

I spent part of today redesigning them cutting fluff ranks on quite a few. They feel more appealing already.

This should be really interesting :) Looking forward to those. Also really like the solution to the lockpicking . That will definitely put some more worth in to them, if you lose loot by breaking locks.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys plan on adding more perks ? If so, will there be alternative ways to gain additional perk points ? At the moment it feels like there are enough points so your character keep up with the GS, but if more perks come to play, or more perks become 'essential', ones character will start falling behind on the higher difficulties.

This game is rated for a mature audience.

What does this mean?

I see servers with 500% and even 1200% experience but I can't set the experience to that amount in single player.

Also side note, half the perks in the game are clearly under powered. The spear and club perks are horrible and mediocre respectively. Everyone thinks the knives and their perks are very weak. The armor perks require too much skill points to work. The flurry of blows is just under powered and doesn't work on heavy and mining tools. The leveling of living off the land is not linear at all.

I feel like there is no need to level after 70 but at the same time I need levels to unlock basic stuff.

In the end if a perk is weak why not just reduce the attribute requirements to lower levels?

Yeah, I understand there's the book icon, but it'd also be nice to know if you just have that recipe available from ANY source, like perks.

I actually tested it and it works with books you read AND PERKS! it's really subtle but either way it shows the book open. So all good there. Thanks Fun Pimps! You've created my latest and greatest addiction!

I haven't made it past level 45 because that's when I feel like I've done everything I can do on that particular map.

Yeah, I have similar thing. Once I built a base with defense that withstand the horde night, and have the best gear etc., I start over. Usually start playing on Overhauls then. Like currently having a lot of fun on Darkness Falls, and should be done with that when True Survival and Ravenhearst is done etc. etc. That's usually around lvl 60 gs ~200 for me. I mean if you coast through that on warrior/survivor, then there's not much left.

Really looking forward to the end game boss and bandits etc. Hopefully a rad zone area that requires high end gear to survive in, where you find unique challenges and rewards.

Fell through the ground today. I didn't do anything special. I was just standing there. Wasn't pleasant.

I was jittering up and down quickly and could occasionally catch the edge of a voxel with a shovel. After a few minutes, the hole was made and I was able to step into it, returning me to reality.

Yeah, I know... console commands. Had to see if I could get out without it though.

@madmole, I'm beating a dead horse, but how you feel about adding gas vents as a danger to mining? So the longer you mine and or get deeper, certain parts will have a subtle-hazy view. Another to distinguish them would maybe be, empty parts of a mine? Essentially invisible air pockets set to damage players, though that makes it obvious so I'd go with terrain with a certain hue. These gas vents would pose a danger by 1) have a 20% chance of being triggered to explode by being hit by a tool or gunfire and 2) if you go in without a hazmat suit or some sort of gas mask filter mod, it'll pretty much kill you.

Why add gas vents? I feel that it should be simple enough in a way to do so, and it would at least bring some minor risk to mining even though I myself don't want this. Contradictorily I know, but it is a survival game and everything should at least have some risk even if its only a more pest annoyance.

I'm not about to dig through pages of forums, but is anyone else experiencing massive memory usage with the new 18.1 (b8) update? I can't start a new game as it keeps saying "out of memory", and as I watch the task manager (Windows 10 Professional x64) it's reading almost 7 gigs, and I'm just running my normal applications in the background (Chrome taking up the next amount of usage with 500mb) and then Bit Defender, Malware bytes, and others down the line. No different than I ever did before. The 7gigs for 7DTD seems pretty excessive. Or was it always this way? Never had memory issues before the new update.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, as I'm watching, it keeps increasing slowly as it sits here. There's a memory leak, but it's slow. Keeps increasing, but never decreases.

- - - Updated - - -

I take that back. It does decrease, but only by .4mb or so, then goes back up. It's basically taking 2 steps forward, one step back. Just a slow crawl upward.

I'm not about to dig through pages of forums, but is anyone else experiencing massive memory usage with the new 18.1 (b8) update? I can't start a new game as it keeps saying "out of memory", and as I watch the task manager (Windows 10 Professional x64) it's reading almost 7 gigs, and I'm just running my normal applications in the background (Chrome taking up the next amount of usage with 500mb) and then Bit Defender, Malware bytes, and others down the line. No different than I ever did before. The 7gigs for 7DTD seems pretty excessive. Or was it always this way? Never had memory issues before the new update.

I'm running out of ram! *Has Chrome, Bit defender, Malware bytes and more running in background*

Lol. But really, it's an experimental version of an Alpha game, optimization isn't there yet. Lower settings/turn off all the crap in the background. You're not going to get a virus while on 7 days, you can turn em off until you're done.

I'm running out of ram! *Has Chrome, Bit defender, Malware bytes and more running in background*

Lol. But really, it's an experimental version of an Alpha game, optimization isn't there yet. Lower settings/turn off all the crap in the background. You're not going to get a virus while on 7 days, you can turn em off until you're done.

Well yeah, I mean that's a given to at least test now, but there's definitely a memory leak that should be addressed. I've never (since starting at Alpha 11 or 12) ever had to stop any of my background processes to play. So, it's a good heads up! I'm sure it'll be taken care of in due time. :cool:

Should lose all your books too, if its a true mind wipe.

I kept saying that all along! Somehow folks thought that an actual mind wipe would be a bad thing. IMO that's the only proper cost because at some point cash loses it's value so the balancing factor vanishes.

Well, it would get really complicated if it only had a 25% chance to refund each perk / attribute.

You may end up using 7 in a row and still not get the points that you want refunded.

Random is not a solution to everything. =)

Yeah, there are a lot of QoL perks I am interested in, but I end up never getting them, or I get them when I am am really high level, because there is always something better to put points in.

Fewer tiers and or lowered attribute requirements on those perks would probably have me getting them much sooner.

Same, Stuff like miner 69'er and motherload should be reduced to 3 perks needing only 3 str to max them. Weapon perks leave at 5 ranks imo, but stuff like miner 69'er, motherload, many of the agility perks, living off the land, healing factor etc could all do with being reduced to 3 ranks for the same effect as if its at 5/5, with lower stat costs, so that players can more freely build their char how they want. Right now I am mostly forced to go str to 7 and fort to at least 5, due to perks that are always useful in both lines that need stats that high.

- - - Updated - - -

I spent part of today redesigning them cutting fluff ranks on quite a few. They feel more appealing already.

Anyway you could show us a few examples? or tell us of a few?

- - - Updated - - -

Too be honest I haven't found leveling any slower than A17. Upgrading blocks gives so much Experience.. I almost don't wanna do it... don't wanna increase my GS too fast. Literally upgrade 1 block and you see a your exp bar move by a chunk....

Once your near level 30-40 it changes a bit, it starts taking 80-100k+ exp per level, so its going to take a ton of upgrading or mining to level from it at that point. Early game though both activities will level you to 20 pretty quick if you somehow have the materials/tools to do it.

I kept saying that all along! Somehow folks thought that an actual mind wipe would be a bad thing. IMO that's the only proper cost because at some point cash loses it's value so the balancing factor vanishes.

To add on to my original thinking, it should also have a 50% chance to spawn you elsewhere after taking it. Fits my headcanon in a way, trader is selling you (player) some drink that costs an exorbant amount of dukes for a drink that resets your skill points. If I were a trader, I wouldn't want that person being able to remember where the heck he bought from.

That's actually similar to my experience and so far game is scaling pretty well for me.

On Day 35 I was lvl 37, GS 85. (60 min days)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?133930-LazMan-vs-Day-35-Horde

Thats actually pretty slow, I am on day 19 almost day 20, and I am level 46 already. Difficulty is set to warrior, and mark air drops is on, other than that everything else is default settings. My Gamestage is at 108 currently. I expect i'll see demolishers on the day 28 horde at the pace I am going, as they need 153 GS or so before they have a chance to start to show last I checked. 1.thumb.jpg.4762f10bba00b0c51b0b832e16e7dbf8.jpg

Fell through the ground today. I didn't do anything special. I was just standing there. Wasn't pleasant.

I was jittering up and down quickly and could occasionally catch the edge of a voxel with a shovel. After a few minutes, the hole was made and I was able to step into it, returning me to reality.

Yeah, I know... console commands. Had to see if I could get out without it though.

If this happens in SP just exit game and reload your save and you'll be back on the ground, same if you somehow get rocketed out of the ground like in a16 in small spaces+ladders, exit game and reload save to be back on the ground fine.

Not sure if this has been asked or not but should we reset our worlds with 18.2 Exp. We updated our server today to the latest experimental from 18.1 and for some reason a lot of our trees are at 1 hp and if we hit them, they are one shotted, with axe or bikes. There is also a ton of new trees as well so we have double the trees everywhere..... Not all trees are at 1hp, only some are. Its as if the ones before the update were affected and new ones spawned or vice versa. Any feedback would be helpful!

Not sure if this has been asked or not but should we reset our worlds with 18.2 Exp. We updated our server today to the latest experimental from 18.1 and for some reason a lot of our trees are at 1 hp and if we hit them, they are one shotted, with axe or bikes. There is also a ton of new trees as well so we have double the trees everywhere..... Not all trees are at 1hp, only some are. Its as if the ones before the update were affected and new ones spawned or vice versa. Any feedback would be helpful!

I'm assuming you're going a from stable build to experimental build? Then yes, I'd say reset your worlds.

To add on to my original thinking, it should also have a 50% chance to spawn you elsewhere after taking it. Fits my headcanon in a way, trader is selling you (player) some drink that costs an exorbant amount of dukes for a drink that resets your skill points. If I were a trader, I wouldn't want that person being able to remember where the heck he bought from.

I love that idea! I was trying to see if there's a way to teleport players around randomly for a Scenario Start mod idea I had.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic

Archived