Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Yeah. I know your take on this. Reasons why it might be nice:

1- End game content /gotta catch'em all feel. Adds flavor to end game and value to looting way past when you get your best and most desired legendary everything. You might want to unlock those shamway blinds you always wanted for your castle.

2- For further clarification: I'm talking "unlocking" the selected furniture like the tiles on the paintbrush , not another clutter object on the menu list.

3- Unlocking them by schematics wouldn't add clutter to the game, just flavor to looting .

4- They could only appear in some containers like night stands.

Some decorations are like trophies to players. Imagine hanging a stuffed demo guy head on your base wall signifying your triumph over the alpha demo guy and his horde of exploding minions...😂

I plan on adding some locked ammo containers and suitcases to the game. If you smash them you lose the contents, so lockpick only.

Maybe don't get rid of all of the stuff inside, just replace the loot table with lower probability of good loot and increased chance of scrap materials, representing broken stuff inside.

For ammo, the box could have a chance to explode.

My feedback: Allow an option to remove trader protection. It adds a lot for solo and co-op games and for servers where there is fear that the trader will get killed they can keep protection. Think about it.... ;)

Mod that in IMO. Way too many edge cases we'd have to fix bugs for if we supported it. That is the beauty of mods they let you tailor the experience however you want. Most players want traders in their game IMO.

My feedback: Allow an option to remove trader protection. It adds a lot for solo and co-op games and for servers where there is fear that the trader will get killed they can keep protection. Think about it.... ;)

+1

good idea, I concur. This could add another depth to PVP servers. Players would try and take traders, as in build up defenses around a trader location, not to kill but protect and keep from others. These groups of players would quickly be known across the server as the alpha groups. This would also help motivate more above ground base building and PVP action. Its also another goal within pvp servers to raid those who have built up around a trader and currently controls all access vs pretty much the only other option, raid other players you can find.

Any chance we might see copper and zinc mining so we can smelt our own brass? Copper could be used in a number of electrical items as well if it were added into the game (i.e. electric fences).

No we can't add any more textures to the terrain and its good for game play to have to find brass IMO.

Could we get a regular barrel be craftable? I like to use them to store my gasoline in.

Feels like metal decor helper item like the burning barrel unless we can optimize the recipe builder. Calculating every recipe you can craft slows the menus down where there gets to be too many.

Are they be dynamic or static? I've been thinking about supply drops and whether they would attract zombies: A supply drop lands and will you have to fight your way in/out of the area.

Static. The random encounter system can add something to air drops.

But man, oh man, the wailing and gnashing of teeth on an incoming loot nerf. :)

Maybe. I seriously thought there would be a flood of complaints about slowed leveling, but it got a pretty warm welcome. I thought we could also add a loot modifier that slows down how soon you get good loot or speeds it up, same with game staging because frankly those are knobs that add replay value.

This is kinda a mix of question, feedback and possible bug report. I've already posted this in the general forum (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134748-In-Search-of-a-Random-Blood-Moon), but I feel I might have more responsiveness here. My apologies for the double-post.

==========

NOTE: This is specifically for MP RWG; I haven't played SP in several versions.

The idea of a Blood Moon every 7 days has always been a bit formulaic to me, and I've been in search of a way to get a true random Blood Moon. A17 provided an answer to this in the Blood Moon Frequency/Range, but if I'm not mistaken, something has changed in the way that's calculated slightly in A18. Am not sure if I'm (a) derping and not remembering right [it's quite possible], or (b) something actually changed.

Regardless of that answer, the way that it appears to be handled in A18 is a bit counter-intuitive and "spoiler-ish" to me.

In A17, I used to run a frequency of 1 with a range of 5, which basically gave me a 20% chance per day, where one Blood Moon must occur every 5 days at minimum. Back to backs, were possible, but of course with a diminishing chance. For instance, the first BM happened between 2-6 days away. This is the way I'd expect it work: 1 + RND(5)

Now, in A18, it appears now that the Frequency determines the first day of the Blood Moon, regardless of the Range. For instance, a 1/5, as before will happen on day 1 *always*, then proceed as normal. A 2/5, the first blood *always* happens on Day 2, then proceeds as normal. More like FRQ+RND(5)

I've tested this on two RWG maps with about 25 fresh starts of the server: keeping the Generated Worlds folder and deleting the profiles file along with the actual generated county folder, and then checking the log for the BM days. Each time, the Blood Moon always, without fail, starts on the Frequency day. The NEXT BM varies as I would expect, but that first BM always seems to land on the Frequency.

This seems a bit counter-intuitive, and spoiler-ish, considering using this, you can pick the day the Blood Moon begins on.

You might have to post this when Faatal gets back from vacation.

Some decorations are like trophies to players. Imagine hanging a stuffed demo guy head on your base wall signifying your triumph over the alpha demo guy and his horde of exploding minions...😂

Yes of course. If I understood him correctly, I don't think a burning barrel classifies as cool late game unlock.

Mod that in IMO. Way too many edge cases we'd have to fix bugs for if we supported it. That is the beauty of mods they let you tailor the experience however you want. Most players want traders in their game IMO.

What about traders specializing in certain things instead of everyone kind of having everything?

Is there still some sort of bug with BM scaling and many players? We had a group of 5, 3 who had been in for 21 days and 2 who had just joined a few days before that BM, and we had a significant amount of radiated and spitting vultures and even a demo. On night 21. Standard hour days and default difficulty.

It was great. Just wondering about whether that scaling was working as intended.

Also, encountering tissue paper trees that you hit once and get grass, hit again and they fall over. Last I knew paper was made from trees, not trees from paper. Is this because we didn't restart again this last RL week? This world didn't start out this way. If we hadn't been reverted to non-experimental and had to fix that we might not even have noticed the bump in version, and we wanted to do that group again. If we have to wipe to fix trees I'll push that on them but it won't be popular. We were just getting to the point where the BM's were needed because regular house-style POI's weren't difficult anymore.

Also, encountering tissue paper trees that you hit once and get grass, hit again and they fall over. Last I knew paper was made from trees, not trees from paper. Is this because we didn't restart again this last RL week? This world didn't start out this way. If we hadn't been reverted to non-experimental and had to fix that we might not even have noticed the bump in version, and we wanted to do that group again. If we have to wipe to fix trees I'll push that on them but it won't be popular. We were just getting to the point where the BM's were needed because regular house-style POI's weren't difficult anymore.

Maybe? https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134837-Vanishing-resetting-base-problem-need-help&p=1064408&viewfull=1#post1064408

This is certainly reasonable. While it might have been a noble goal to have 5 cool ranks it just doesn't work out for some of the non combat perks.

Yeah, there are a lot of QoL perks I am interested in, but I end up never getting them, or I get them when I am am really high level, because there is always something better to put points in.

Fewer tiers and or lowered attribute requirements on those perks would probably have me getting them much sooner.

Yeah, there are a lot of QoL perks I am interested in, but I end up never getting them, or I get them when I am am really high level, because there is always something better to put points in.

Fewer tiers and or lowered attribute requirements on those perks would probably have me getting them much sooner.

I spent part of today redesigning them cutting fluff ranks on quite a few. They feel more appealing already.

Maybe. I seriously thought there would be a flood of complaints about slowed leveling, but it got a pretty warm welcome. I thought we could also add a loot modifier that slows down how soon you get good loot or speeds it up, same with game staging because frankly those are knobs that add replay value.

Too be honest I haven't found leveling any slower than A17. Upgrading blocks gives so much Experience.. I almost don't wanna do it... don't wanna increase my GS too fast. Literally upgrade 1 block and you see a your exp bar move by a chunk....

IMO If trader's become killable you should add some sort of way to get T6 stuff(other then in loot), not that it should be eazy at all but atleast it will be there. Maybe a cnc machine that is only found in a factory and it will require a skill to use it. But nonetheless im fine with anything and like you said, we could just mod this stuff in.

I like that CNC machine idea, but I think if you kill the trader, you should have to deal with the consequences. HOWEVER, I'd also like to be able to play without the traders at all, so having an alternative way to access trader-only stuff would be an interesting idea.

Really, the more options the better IMO. I like how 7d2d (and Space Engineers) both let the players have a decent amount of control over how their game will play out because of the world setting and all being accessible.

Archived