Sign in to follow this  
Hated

Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

The Burning Barrel is a very good Thematic Light-source and Decoration, i would hate to see it removed.

However as far as being a Recipe ingredient... I'm fine with switching it or leaving it.

*tokes up and sits back thinking* I change my mind. If there are bandits, that would open the window to a lot more possibilities for new quest designs

Yeah, the bandits open up a lot of possibilities. I'm hoping we end up with something that functions like STALKER: bandit groups randomly hanging out at different places, random missions to secure gear etc.

Edited by Axebeard (see edit history)

By all means, post away.

Its mainly concept art. I don't want to get people all excited for bandits when they are still a long ways off yet, I'd rather show stuff in the game and working they can get their hands on reasonably soon.

Now that you mention it, it is tricky. Is it like a torch or is it a decorative element that can be added to the "misc" block? I think it should remain as a "furniture/misc" kind-off block , not as a recipe ingredient, because using a bit of gas and plastics instead is believable enough in the long run (for crafting the station) . 2 beakers are the real gate anyway.

Schematics for furniture/misc objects are also cool for further awesomeness.

Is the Burning barrel as a misc block that provides light extremely unbalanced ? Well that's the reason why I ask for misc objects schematics.

Edit: The schematics would ve unlocking each item in the selector separately, like unlocking paint tiles for the paint brush.

Decorations are worthless for fort defense and player progression, why gate them behind schematics? Besides we've moved to helpers to place a million different blocks, it feels like stuff could go there.

Its mainly concept art. I don't want to get people all excited for bandits when they are still a long ways off yet, I'd rather show stuff in the game and working they can get their hands on reasonably soon.

Speaking of concept art, is the new trader bob's post going to go into the game soon? And by new I mean the concept art that was shared of it from awhile ago for the A17 Concept art video. Also; are wolf companions also still planned or are they gone like the Behemoth?

Do you have to do a mo-cap session for the bandit A.I.?

The Burning Barrel is a very good Thematic Light-source and Decoration, i would hate to see it removed.

However as far as being a Recipe ingredient... I'm fine with switching it or leaving it.

Yes it is. I removed it from the chem station recipe, but for now it is still craftable. I think it could be nested under misc helper object or something.

Yes it is. I removed it from the chem station recipe, but for now it is still craftable. I think it could be nested under misc helper object or something.

The metal helper block might be a better choice for that, not sure though.

Or just scrap fresh meat?

Oh, thats a great idea.... I'm going to mod that in to my game, I think.

Speaking of concept art, is the new trader bob's post going to go into the game soon? And by new I mean the concept art that was shared of it from awhile ago for the A17 Concept art video. Also; are wolf companions also still planned or are they gone like the Behemoth?

Trader outposts will be getting overhauled, but there is no guarantee it will look anything like the concept, but hopefully they can surround it with stacked cars and the bus models, etc. Each trader will get his/her own sign and Joel will no longer have a franchise on Bob, Jen, Hugh, etc. Companions are vaporware until we can do some planning around that. Most likely it would be a human IMO, since 4 leg creatures have too many challenges navigating a voxel world. I never take Dogmeat in Fallout 4, I go straight to Piper since she can shoot a gun and isn't quite as annoying as Dogmeat who won't stop barking. I don't care if there is a tin can there dude, let it go.

Trader outposts will be getting overhauled, but there is no guarantee it will look anything like the concept, but hopefully they can surround it with stacked cars and the bus models, etc. Each trader will get his/her own sign and Joel will no longer have a franchise on Bob, Jen, Hugh, etc. Companions are vaporware until we can do some planning around that. Most likely it would be a human IMO, since 4 leg creatures have too many challenges navigating a voxel world. I never take Dogmeat in Fallout 4, I go straight to Piper since she can shoot a gun and isn't quite as annoying as Dogmeat who won't stop barking. I don't care if there is a tin can there dude, let it go.

My feedback: Allow an option to remove trader protection. It adds a lot for solo and co-op games and for servers where there is fear that the trader will get killed they can keep protection. Think about it.... ;)

Any chance we might see copper and zinc mining so we can smelt our own brass? Copper could be used in a number of electrical items as well if it were added into the game (i.e. electric fences).

Make rotten flesh with acid and fresh meat?

That's more work than it should be. Just convert it 1:1 or something, you're just turning the meat bad. Maybe make it take a while or something.

Is there really rumors we aren't adding bandits lol? If I showed you guys stuff it would blow your minds.

Feel free and welcome to blow my mind.

Could we get a regular barrel be craftable? I like to use them to store my gasoline in.

Imagine a circular blob shape around a POI or town, that says spawning is denser here than in the wild, or ones in the wild that are even less spawny.. why should a big farm crop field have any zeds at all in it? Just examples, nothing final there. Maybe it would be a gradient towards the center, so a town gets more popular at the center of the circle and is dead towards the outside. Then you might cruise in and think this isn't so bad... oh ♥♥♥♥ turn around NOW!!!!

Are they be dynamic or static? I've been thinking about supply drops and whether they would attract zombies: A supply drop lands and will you have to fight your way in/out of the area.

I plan on adding some locked ammo containers and suitcases to the game. If you smash them you lose the contents, so lockpick only.

Nice! Makes sense!

Try focusing on toilets. I get a ton of 9mm pistols from toilets.

Ahhh...the good 'ol toilet pistol. Replace the firing pin and you're good to go!

As far a RNG goes, I decided to play an INT build and try perked Junk Turrets; so of course, I didn't find even a Q1 Junk Turret until about day 15...but RNG is RNG.

And after a couple playthroughs to mid-game using some self-imposed scrapping rules (basically limit yourself to Quality level equal to the week you're in--if it's day 6 and you loot a Q4 pistol, scrap that sucker--or better yet drop it, but I scrap it or sell it to simulate some sort of resource I would have gotten if the loot tables were balanced downward).

I agree that loot balancing is a very high portion of what needs to be done. Putting points into perks was significantly more satisfying when I wasn't finding a bunch of usable Q3-Q4 stuff on day 6. It was awesome to be able to build a Q2 (whatever) when my artificial loot limit was still feeding me nothing better than Q1. It also helps stretch out the game in a more satisfying way.

But man, oh man, the wailing and gnashing of teeth on an incoming loot nerf. :)

Is there really rumors we aren't adding bandits lol? If I showed you guys stuff it would blow your minds.

Only one way to prove it once and for all I guess...

Go on, we can wait.. :D

This is kinda a mix of question, feedback and possible bug report. I've already posted this in the general forum (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134748-In-Search-of-a-Random-Blood-Moon), but I feel I might have more responsiveness here. My apologies for the double-post.

==========

NOTE: This is specifically for MP RWG; I haven't played SP in several versions.

The idea of a Blood Moon every 7 days has always been a bit formulaic to me, and I've been in search of a way to get a true random Blood Moon. A17 provided an answer to this in the Blood Moon Frequency/Range, but if I'm not mistaken, something has changed in the way that's calculated slightly in A18. Am not sure if I'm (a) derping and not remembering right [it's quite possible], or (b) something actually changed.

Regardless of that answer, the way that it appears to be handled in A18 is a bit counter-intuitive and "spoiler-ish" to me.

In A17, I used to run a frequency of 1 with a range of 5, which basically gave me a 20% chance per day, where one Blood Moon must occur every 5 days at minimum. Back to backs, were possible, but of course with a diminishing chance. For instance, the first BM happened between 2-6 days away. This is the way I'd expect it work: 1 + RND(5)

Now, in A18, it appears now that the Frequency determines the first day of the Blood Moon, regardless of the Range. For instance, a 1/5, as before will happen on day 1 *always*, then proceed as normal. A 2/5, the first blood *always* happens on Day 2, then proceeds as normal. More like FRQ+RND(5)

I've tested this on two RWG maps with about 25 fresh starts of the server: keeping the Generated Worlds folder and deleting the profiles file along with the actual generated county folder, and then checking the log for the BM days. Each time, the Blood Moon always, without fail, starts on the Frequency day. The NEXT BM varies as I would expect, but that first BM always seems to land on the Frequency.

This seems a bit counter-intuitive, and spoiler-ish, considering using this, you can pick the day the Blood Moon begins on.

Decorations are worthless for fort defense and player progression, why gate them behind schematics? Besides we've moved to helpers to place a million different blocks, it feels like stuff could go there.

Yeah. I know your take on this. Reasons why it might be nice:

1- End game content /gotta catch'em all feel. Adds flavor to end game and value to looting way past when you get your best and most desired legendary everything. You might want to unlock those shamway blinds you always wanted for your castle.

2- For further clarification: I'm talking "unlocking" the selected furniture like the tiles on the paintbrush , not another clutter object on the menu list.

3- Unlocking them by schematics wouldn't add clutter to the game, just flavor to looting .

4- They could only appear in some containers like night stands.

What if 20% of cars are locked and you gotta lock pick them to get better loot than what you would find in an unlocked car?

People will just break them open......wait a minute......I see what you did there lol ...

Imagine a circular blob shape around a POI or town, that says spawning is denser here than in the wild, or ones in the wild that are even less spawny.. why should a big farm crop field have any zeds at all in it? Just examples, nothing final there. Maybe it would be a gradient towards the center, so a town gets more popular at the center of the circle and is dead towards the outside. Then you might cruise in and think this isn't so bad... oh ♥♥♥♥ turn around NOW!!!!

All the people sad about not enough zeds outside will love this.....actually probably everyone would enjoy that lol