Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

I don't think any xp should be shared period, except for quests. Its already 10x easier having a buddy.

10x? Not on insane with a 64 zombie horde. Sure you level up a bit faster, though you need that to survive that first horde without exploiting the AI.

10x? Not on insane with a 64 zombie horde. Sure you level up a bit faster, though you need that to survive that first horde without exploiting the AI.

That's actually the challenge I have for myself. Currently trying to get through nomad with 64, no exploits, solo though. No shared xp for me.

I like the perk system but there are same changes I would like to see. I don't like how putting points into Agility or Intelligence only affects certain weapons. A suggestion I would make would be some broad but important character improvements.

Examples:

Perception: Increased speed with aiming/range

Strength: Improved mobility in armor/encumbered

Fortitude: Improved stamina regen

Agility: Improved speed on foot

Intelligence: Improved crafting speeds

Every attribute should feel like you're getting stronger, faster, more capable of taking on the apocalypse

I agree entirely! And this is one of my issues outside of crafting being broken(imo).

But also another situation I would kinda like to see if we could lower the attribute lock or remove it entirely for some of the more broad use skills that don't really tie into a specific attribute? Like... perception being the only person to max looting(although I can see perception by definition could help find things), or the fact perception also has the wrench perk. Seems you would be more likely to get more parts with a wrench if you were stronger, or had higher fortitude and survived smashing your knuckles on everything. Also some of the perks just seem to not be worth points when compared to others. Parkour is a cool ass perk, but is hardly justified until super late game unless you have a team splitting up most of the basic crafting, and your survival skills are up to par. I don't have any suggestions for some like that.. but just a thought.

More party exp share options would be pretty nice. I'd ideally like an option to have ALL exp shared. Then players could reduce the overall exp rate, thus allowing your group to level as a whole instead of individually, great for co-op playthroughs with friends.

Agility could use some team-based utility as well, it's easily the most selfish class. I suggest a new skill perk under stealth that reduces the heat map generated by the player, with later tiers extending this to nearby allies as well as from objects in a generous radius around the player's bed, allowing their base to attract less zombies. The Parkour skill should also increase movement speed IMO.

Another funny idea for an Agility skill is Five-Finger Discount. This would let you steal from a trader every so often, letting you make a purchase of up to a certain value for free with the value and frequency increasing with skill rank.

I'd also like it if the magnum got some treatment to make it more worthwhile. Hard to even say what, but the raw damage alone doesn't make up for its other drawbacks to justify over even the regular pistol, especially when your pistols skill gets you dismemberment chance up. Perhaps it may just need to be replaced with something like the Desert Eagle? This would make it realistically compatible with more mods as well like extended mag and even a silencer, as hilarious that would be.

A17-18 Dev time

Is it just me or the release from experimental to stable to short. i would like to see a longer dev time between experimental to stable less then a month is a way to short. i understand that the team and some players want to see the newer version asap.

can we add a few more things to dev timeline so the time from experimental to stable is at least 3-4 months ?. In addition a more user-friendly way to get notified on a new version being released more then a week in advance ie. steam notification. why am i asking this? because i would like to see a more enjoyable and less buggie release of the "stable" version and time to adjust from the the last to new versions. Players want to continue the playthough for a long as possible without getting an update that causes them to start all over again

I hope this gets read and the it can contributed to future updates

A17-18 Dev time

Is it just me or the release from experimental to stable to short. i would like to see a longer dev time between experimental to stable less then a month is a way to short. i understand that the team and some players want to see the newer version asap.

can we add a few more things to dev timeline so the time from experimental to stable is at least 3-4 months ?. In addition a more user-friendly way to get notified on a new version being released more then a week in advance ie. steam notification. why am i asking this? because i would like to see a more enjoyable and less buggie release of the "stable" version and time to adjust from the the last to new versions. Players want to continue the playthough for a long as possible without getting an update that causes them to start all over again

I hope this gets read and the it can contributed to future updates

This biggest in your face flaw in your arguement is that you are supposed to wipe with every update during expiremental. its not meant to be a stable steady playable version. So your points are invalid as is. You say its to short yet you give no reason that its to short and you say it should be longer yet you give no real logical reasons as to why it should be. All this sounds like its the opinions of a person that has never developed a game before......just sayin'.

One thing I noticed, and I think someone else did too maybe I can't recall, is that I learned the schematic for Flaming Arrows (which use steel arrowheads - which I can make), yet I can't make steel arrows.. so... I can make flaming arrows using steel arrowheads, but my dude can't make normal steel arrows? o.O

That's not how being dumb works. Or is it? Hmm.

"There are many ways to play the game, but we believe players primarily play as one or more play-style archetypes that we have identified as The Killer/Looter, The Quest/Builder, The Builder/Gatherer, and/or The Miner.

The testing team painstakingly played build after build purposely playing as these archetypes and collecting XP earning data, recording and analyzing the results, and working with the game designers to re-balance. We believe the game now supports all the current play-styles. We plan to collect telemetry data in the future to help us further improve this aspect of the game."

This is text from official release notes, and while you balanced XP earning for different play-styles, you made some play-styles impossible to get to T6 gear, like for example The Builder/Gatherer, and/or The Miner. Even impossible to get to steel tools, which are essential for that build, by adding "steel tool parts" which can only be looted and have 30 times lower drop rate than guns or gun parts. I'm still waiting for someone to explain me what those parts are, because I have a shovel, pickaxe and axe at home and they only have 2 parts - wooden handle and metal toolhead.

While trying to balance the game you made the only viable choice Quest/Looter.

Another thing that bothers me is that now you find vehicles at traders from day 1 game stage 1, and it's pretty easy to craft any vehicle during first few days.

I managed to craft 4x4 on day 6 all by myself, but I couldn't get enough parts to craft T5 steel pickaxe. Somehow seems way off balance imo.

And another thing that ruins mentioned play-style is crafting time. It takes longer to craft steel bars than mining and melting all together.

The rest is pretty much covered in previous posts, I hope for some changes in future updates.

I just snipped it for space. I do kinda feel you in a way, but I think it's really hard to balance it out for duo/trio/quad groups and solo without seperate game modes. Really, you got a Sniper/looter, warrior/miner, tank/never needs to eat/self heals, nimble stealth archer/pistol guy, and the int class. I do get what you're saying for solo, but idk. I feel better solo than ever.

Steel tool parts I def get. But alas, really it's not even needed (steel tools), so I kinda like the luxury part of it? I like vehicles at traders (and the parts/schems), for it prevents having to go into Int for it.

55 mins to make a 4x4 is rather insanely ludricrous I have to say though, like what? lol

A17-18 Dev time

Is it just me or the release from experimental to stable to short.

I think you are the only human on the planet who believes this.

I was there for the A17 release, and believe me, this one was ready for stable long before A17 was. Meaning, I don't think A17 should have gone stable until the A17.3 version. A18 is far, far more ready for the world.

The only reason I do not totally disagree with you, is that I also believe that developers need enough time to get it right, and damn the release dates. And by "enough time" I mean nobody should work longer than 40 hours/week. I'm also an overworked (non-game) developer though, so maybe I'm biased.

Played on nomad difficulty, the rest standard settings. I'm just over level 50, got all but a few unimportant books, over 80.000 dukes. All gear and weapons are blue or better. Got a huge garden. Nothing left to do and restart now on Warrior difficulty.

And I'm NOT a very good player. Too much loot and higher tier zombies are too easy to kill.

Ten torches should never summon a screamer, it would only reach 40%. They should dissipate. Can you turn on DM and verify that the heat just keeps rising? It should fall off after 10 minutes.

Torch Demo video at avg of 6.5 torches per chunk spawning screamers every 5 rl minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS2k0PETwRc

edit: 11 minute video 3 screamers spawn.

I play insane difficulty only, 120 min and with no respawn loot option. I prefer hand-to-hand fight and almost do no use firearms, electricity and any gears. I like slow meditative game, looting of buildings, moving from place to place. I like this game. But there are some annoying things in this game.

- Screamers. They isn't add compexity in the game, this is just timekiller for me. I have to waste my time for kill screamer and her friends, so I always turn it off in config files.

- Not enough options for my style of playing (like savage in the stone age) - the game is designed for shooting and endless crafting ammo, I'm not interested because with a gun you don't give zombies a chance. In the game a lot of guns and too few effective melee weapons. BTW very thank you for javelins!

I usually do not play the game for more than 14-21 days, because the game becomes too easy and boring and I start again. I think for Insane mode amount of zombies quite enough. But for other modes this game becomes too easy and boring.

I see the game is getting better with the every release, but you only fill the game with new content (pois, graphics, items), and forget about the new mechanics.

I don't think any xp should be shared period, except for quests. Its already 10x easier having a buddy.

What if xp was not just shared but actually split among the group of people. It was a group effort to kill the zombie so all get a share of the pie instead of all receiving extra xp. Just like other resources are shared in groups. Then the charisma perk could maybe add a small bonus to this shared pool and only when it is shared. Bonus should be small since multiple people could spec into this at the same time.

I feel that exp should be shared for all actions. Like when I play with a friend, the person who goes Strength (harvesting / mining) always has a lot more exp than the rest of the group. I don't see why this shouldn't be shared if others are around.

I feel the exact opposite. No xp should be shared, go get your own dang xp. jk, but I really do feel that way.

Server Options?

Can we get a serverconfig for number of player spawn points (1-8)? That way people who want to play coop can start in the same spot together, instead of having to spend the first day running to each other (or using cheat mode). It could be a nice way to introduce new players to the game.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic

Archived