Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

I just found +1150 gasoline in one fuel pump. The other had just over 500. Default settings, pregen03, SP. Loot really is off and needs balance.

And I do remember Madmole stating that gas is harder to find and well balanced. Guess he is wrong... again.

Do you know how long 1150 gallons lasts? Maybe a day on a minibike, maybe 1km on the 4x4. 4x4 eats 10k a day.

Currently, Crucibles are a huge gate. You need to invest crazy amounts into INT in order to get access to steel, or pray to RNGesus that you find a crucible or a crucible schematic.

There aren't many ways to obtain Forged Steel otherwise.

Wrench broken vending machines, street lights, safes. Traders sell gobs of them.

Why do you feel it is excessive? How many farm plots do you feel, game balance-wise, should a player have in the 1st week of the game; assuming one is playing on the default 60 minute days.

I ask because I feel the number of rotten meat needed isn't the relevant point, it's how many plots should a player reasonably be expected to make.

Playing my game I was able to get 10 plots up in my first week without any special focus other than harvesting every corpse pile I found.

I always have more plots than seeds but at most I might buy one rank of living off the land.

Recent discovery I made, "Sprinting" while driving a vehicle consumes far, far more gas then just driving it normally. For about a 30% speed boost you consume about 5 times the gasoline, probably more. This is most likely a bug.

No its not a bug. Its not as bad as you say but it does use a lot more fuel with the pedal to the metal. I floor it everywhere I go unless I have a gas shortage then I don't.

Hey Madmole,

I mentioned it in the previous bug report and Twigg said they're looking into it, but you're aware 1 point into daring adventurer guarantees complete full stacks of ammo (or rockets, molotovs, pipebombs, exploding bolts, etc.) as a reward option right? Just wanted to make sure that gets changed pretty quick, I've been avoiding taking them because that's just too OP, but I do feel a bit cheated out of another reward spot lol.

Is this right :

Repair kits are being sold at 372

Yet you can buy Duct Tape at 50 and Forged iron at 24

Does that not defunct buying Repair Kits in the first place ?

20191102005007-1.jpg

20191102005020-1.jpg

Also Blocks/Torches like are not snapping to the lower level more so I am finding on many POI(s)

20191101235427-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

8GB Ram isnt the issue but his 1050ti with its Standard Memory Config of 4gb is.... ;)

Supplies are always cheaper than the combined product, or at least they should be.

Currently, two levels in Sexual Tyrannosorus is enough to completely negate the stamina-drain of mining with a pickaxe, thus rendering stuff like coffee or the other three levels in that perk, kind of unnecessary.

Sucks to say, but iron/steel tools should probably cost more stamina to swing.

As for power attacks, I assumed those were intended for combat. Not for mining. The slower animation and irritating battle-yell make that obvious to me.

Though if the DPS of a power-attack is lower than normal attacks for the same duration, then that's probably a mistake.

Coffee increases mining harvest.

what in the F is up with Iron Knuckles requiring mechanical parts? like, at all, let alone needing a dozen of them.

and making steel knuckles requires steel knuckle parts. if i had a bunch of steel knuckles to get the parts from, i wouldn't need to make the steel knuckles in the first place, would i?

All good items require parts, we're not letting crafters sit in their base and make the best gear without some looting. The reason they need parts is to take 5 brown ones and scrap them and then craft into 1 blue set.

Machine Tools (Chainsaw, Auger) are unlocked Via the intelligence/advanced engineering tree, but the qualty of the crafted item isn't calculated based on that.

As far as I can tell, Miner 69ner, the tool-crafting skill, is what dictates whether you make a quality 1 or a quality 5 chainsaw.

Sure,I can see the logic in that, but that's not how any of the other item/weapon crafting skills work.

Salvage Operations (perception) teaches you to craft wrenches, it lets you make better use of wrenches, and it controls the quality of the wrench you can craft.

Advanced Engineering (intelligence) unlocks the schematic for Chainsaws and Aungers, but Miner 69ner (strength) is what dictates their quality level and how skill you are with them.

Either the schematic should be moved to the mining tree (probably the final tier?) or the quality of the chainsaws you craft should depend on your intelligence and your engineering skill, not how well you can swing a pickaxe with your mighty thews.

Yeah that one seems weird. Seems like an oversight since all top end items are schematic craft only, probably something we missed in the overhaul to 18.

I have a thought that makes sense to me and am wondering how others (including devs) feel about it:

I think that someone who perks into a item/crafting tree should be able to use raw materials to create the desired item at their quality level. (Example - Hunting rifle would take wood, forged metal, mechanical parts, etc) Someone who has only found a schematic for creating an item should have a different recipe that can only make low quality and requires the "parts" from scrapped items in that category.

We don't want people spam crafting blue weapons and making a fortune and handing them out like candy to their friends, or being able to replace anything lost due to raids with basic mats etc. All good items have a loot only or two trinket ingredient so we can control economy, pacing, risk, reward etc.

Why?

Having two diffent recipies don't benifit anyone.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 'parts' at all.

If I know how to make steel armour, and I have tons of steel, leather, cloth, glue, ducttape and everything else needed, then what is a 'part', exactly?

It's just an arbitrary limit on how much armour I can craft, even though I already have everything that I actually need.

You already need a crucible to make steel, and the raw metals to melt down into forged steel.

For light armour you need ballistic fiber, which can be a pain to gather or craft.

There's no need to add another gatekeeping attempt.

Yes there is. See my previous post.

"Mechanical parts and springs are not craftable"

This is a very,very bad move devs. You should make mechanical parts and springs easier to craft and find, not the other way around. There are many items that use mechanical parts and springs used to be expensive as well.

Easier? I have 100's of them and I'm not even a scavenger. I crafted 30 grenades and had plenty to spare. Get off your ass and find some. I've never crafted one in my life and sell 100's at a time to make money. You can get them harvesting about anything.

Easier? I have 100's of them and I'm not even a scavenger. I crafted 30 grenades and had plenty to spare. Get off your ass and find some. I've never crafted one in my life and sell 100's at a time to make money. You can get them harvesting about anything.

#lazypeople

I love how you have to find certain materials. makes the scavenging part of the game relevant.

Hey Madmole,

I mentioned it in the previous bug report and Twigg said they're looking into it, but you're aware 1 point into daring adventurer guarantees complete full stacks of ammo (or rockets, molotovs, pipebombs, exploding bolts, etc.) as a reward option right? Just wanted to make sure that gets changed pretty quick, I've been avoiding taking them because that's just too OP, but I do feel a bit cheated out of another reward spot lol.

A full stack? Ok we'll look into it.

A full stack? Ok we'll look into it.

Yeah, I just saw Schwan (sp?) tell someone else they're looking to adjust it in a future update too so I guess they do know, I think that's one of the balancing things that needs a fix asap, since the perk pretty much makes you broken and OP unless you choose to select the regular rewards. But correct, max stack lol it's nuts. Like I said, it eats up a spot in the rewards and I really don't want to take it, since that's too much. You can't go a single quest turn in and not be offered full stacks of any ammo, including HP, AP, grenades, all of it.

Gas is not balanced. 1 shale gives 10 gas. You dig 1 stack of oil shale (6000) spend 3-5min. Craft 60k of gasoline. And forget about the fuel. I reduced the amount of gas that shale per unit gives by 2. (default 10). I also reduced the fuel tank capacity of all vehicles. Despite this, it is convenient for me. Now I need to think about fuel. An additional element of survival. I used to not be happy when I found 300 gas at a gas station.

A18.0_2019-11-06_17-27-03.jpg.1f6c46139b801aad52e395a94919fa0d.jpg

yea, there's plenty of parts and springs out there, This is just whats in my backup/Spare Mats Storage box.

BTW, Normal Loot Percentage, no weird settings that would affect it.

Gas is not balanced. 1 shale gives 10 gas. You dig 1 stack of oil shale (6000) spend 3-5min. Craft 60k of gasoline. And forget about the fuel. I reduced the amount of gas that shale per unit gives by 2. (default 10). I also reduced the fuel tank capacity of all vehicles. Despite this, it is convenient for me. Now I need to think about fuel. An additional element of survival. I used to not be happy when I found 300 gas at a gas station.

I'm calling BS about getting 6k shale in 3 minutes, unless maybe you have a fully modded auger and all the miner perks. That said I nerfed gas in loot even more. I haven't crafted enough gas yet so balance could be off a bit yet on crafting it, but it should be like bullets, if you put the work in you shouldn't have to worry about it. I was striving for maybe mining shale once a week and driving a 4x4 full time, which would be about 70k gas a week, so I don't think I am too far off from having it right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30432[/ATTACH]

yea, there's plenty of parts and springs out there, This is just whats in my backup/Spare Mats Storage box.

BTW, Normal Loot Percentage, no weird settings that would affect it.

Wow damn thats a lot of stuff. I get one stack of forged iron and I feel like a horder then see some people's chests and its like wow what the hell lol. I use my stuff up as fast as I can make it though usually.

I'm calling BS about getting 6k shale in 3 minutes, unless maybe you have a fully modded auger and all the miner perks. That said I nerfed gas in loot even more. I haven't crafted enough gas yet so balance could be off a bit yet on crafting it, but it should be like bullets, if you put the work in you shouldn't have to worry about it. I was striving for maybe mining shale once a week and driving a 4x4 full time, which would be about 70k gas a week, so I don't think I am too far off from having it right.

I play with friends 3-5 people on my dedi server (7dtd I played 1500+ hours). There are people who like to dig. Dude after 30-60 minutes of work will bring you 60k shales (this is 600k fuel). And everything on this fuel is removed from the game. No one is returning to the issue of fuel production

by the time you have 4x4. You have an auger and a mined skill of a miner.

try to play after you reduce the amount of fuel that shale gives at least (from 10 to 5)

i play with parameters (2 instead of 10), but I feel comfortable.

Archived