Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Wooden hatches have the same HP as wooden doors, on all upgrades. Iron hatches and iron doors have different HP as expected on each level. 1000-2500

This makes wooden hatches a better alternative to woodden doors if used sideways. They even confuse the zombie AI, zombies will ignore the hatches and attack the upper block

Tier one schematics should just be removed completely. Finding a boiled meat schematic or a pistol schematic is just clown car. Anything 1 skill point allows creation of should just go bye bye and encourage taking that skill thus, increasing drop rates for other schems.

Logically, what is someone going to do with a pistol schematic that has no skill. Not build them and sell to the trader that's for sure. The parts are worth more than the pistol.

That means that people just need a real elevator added.

Played for a few hours a18

Dont like:

1) "We'll make alternative leveling ways besides killing" - nope. 100-200xp for cutted tree or block upgrading takes much more time than killing one Z for 400+ xp. That's on low level, don't know what's there on high ones.

2) Knife is a joke now. Got myself killed several times because spamming just make zeds rushing endlessly.

3) The whole rushing idea. Okay, it adds some pepper, but works crappy. You have the knife only? You're dead. You were lucky set zed on fire with torch? You're dead. You got several zed into wire wall? You're dead as soon as they break it, as the all will be rushed (and as they rushed, they break it fast). Looks like only ranged weapons and clubs work now.

4) Lost sense of reach for weapons. Spear looks short, reaches far. Axe looks long, reaches short.

5) Farming is an engame feature now. Useless before you get at leas 3rd level, because there's nothing to plant before. Then it requires some special pots , that needs much rotten meat, which absurdely you can't get from zeds - only animals and rotten corpses from the streets. The whole idea of pots is supid. Okay, A17 system was too simple, but this one - it's just crap. Add meat farming from zeds at least!

6) Any healing items craft is an engame feature. Look at 5), then add level 3 perk for creating first aid bandages...

7) Very expensive glue recepie, as you cant get bones from zeds corpses. Stupid.

upd. Bone knife - 5 bones. Yeah, to break one bone and sharpen it, you need 4 more. Just like IRL. ;)

8) Fixing everything with repair kits. Fixing shovel with tool for fixing gun - heh...

9) Nerfing axes converting it into tools only...

10) Only one spear gets back to belt after retrieving - when you use 2-3, every time have to get them back from inventory.

11) Changing all icons. Old icons were simple, but very clear: blue is lead, red is iron ore, black is iron scrap etc. New are too complex, no contrast, hard for recgonition.

12) assigning weapon speciality to main attributes. Mining is a must, so as you have to invest in Str anyways, it forces to chose between Sigehammers and Spears.

13) electric batons as a whole new perk - it should be a mod for clubs

14) Rocks on a surface. In pre-a18 it was a source of all kind of materials for a novice, at leas much iron. Now i don't get, what are they for.

UPDATE

Few more hours in game, day 16.

Like:

- New POIs

- lots of schemes and books

- map gen works better

- new mining system

- game feels a bit harder

Neutral:

- getting used to icons. Still, old ones were better. With lots of new parts items make it even harder.

- mining leveling is fine when got iron tools and 2 levels of mining perks, but it is not on low-level, when you're too weak for fighting and trying to get levels another way.

Don't like:

- confirmed: knives are usless as a weapon. Too low range, too low damage, too low perk buffs. Tried to use many times - always got myself hit several times.

- clubs are OP: do fine damage and almost guaranteed knock down or stun even on low perk.

- bows are too weak, at least T1 and T2 (havent seen T3 yet). Forgot about them, when found a crossbow.

- spears are fun, but only as throwing; as melee it's a little bit better then knife, as no noticeable perk bonus and cant hit throuh the obstacles (wood frames etc). Problem 1: as throwables you need several spears, it's expensive in materials and mods. Problem 2: easy to lose in a heat of battle (would like some map markers as for bikes). Problem 3: as mentioned before, 2nd /3rd spear doesn't come back to belt when retrieved.

- new system with "swing arks" doesn't work well. Example: iron club, aiming head, miss - crosshair goes right or left. Swing is vertical. Should hit shoulder or arm, but no, just misses.

- making steel level 5 perk with Int 10 requirement is just a joke. Bad joke. As well as blueprint-only steel tools. As well as many mods recepies need steel.

- main attributes only giving buffs to related weapons. If you need onle one perk from a whole branch and don't use branch related weapon, you're wasting points on attribute just for prereqiurement.

- many overpriced / useless perks. Lockpicking - works well without it, both hunting perks - to few anmals around, both armor perks - if you're not going to craft aromor, some other.

- the whole idea to tie crafting level with using skill level: example, knives - as i don't use them as a weapon, i don't invest points in them, but i still use them as a tool. That means I can't craft better knife any way - just loot / buy / get for quest.

- grind of rotten meat and bones ...

- chance of poisoning by FRESH food and no chance with medival-age pre-war cans. Must be just opposite.

With how easy it is to craft ammo in the mid game. I think ammo found in loot needs to be a lot less. because I got a pistol day one and have never looked back.

Don't comment on balancing when you only playing on easiest difficulty. Try raising the difficulty and you will soon change your opinion.

The melee buff that the zombies get, feels a little overpowered on higher difficulties. It does make it more challenging, but maybe too much imho. Since you can't kill anything within the limits of your stamina in the first few days, and you have no ranged weapons, and they causing bleeding and infection with every hit, it all stack and escalate. I liked playing on warrior and up, but unless you really lucky finding something good in the trash, or you max your loot abundance, you will die in the first day or two.

Don't comment on balancing when you only playing on easiest difficulty. Try raising the difficulty and you will soon change your opinion.

The melee buff that the zombies get, feels a little overpowered on higher difficulties. It does make it more challenging, but maybe too much imho. Since you can't kill anything within the limits of your stamina in the first few days, and you have no ranged weapons, and they causing bleeding and infection with every hit, it all stack and escalate. I liked playing on warrior and up, but unless you really lucky finding something good in the trash, or you max your loot abundance, you will die in the first day or two.

Plz no, Survivalist and Insane are in a great place atm, they should be hard and limiting you to being careful early, and if unlucky dead.

To much resources out of bleu containers cement and kobblestone...

there is almost no need to dig into mountens anymore

Correct. By day 6 I'm swimming in those (ok...120min days muliplayer). But unable to craft concrete out of cement unless you find or craft a mixer.

That negates the use of wood for base building.

Definitely gotta change the sledgehammer animation which is so bad and it would be a real miracle if you could actually hit the zombie in the head with it...and also performance improvements since a number of players including myself have performance issues, and yes, A17.4 ran very smooth. :peace:

Correct. By day 6 I'm swimming in those (ok...120min days muliplayer). But unable to craft concrete out of cement unless you find or craft a mixer.

That negates the use of wood for base building.

thats cirrect but stil i'm swimming and i do trader quests and bye a mixer...

the seerver im on is not extreemly hard but the amound is extreem. perhaps deviding it 2 times wil be better

This is speculation on my part but one possible explanation there is some issue with the graphics and for now they don't want people giving bug reports and feedback based on a variety of FOV's used so they disabled our ability to mess with it. It's a troubleshooting step.

Somewhere in that "Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!" thread which has too many pages to find anything now, MadMole said something about how he thought the narrow FOV looked better and he didn't like seeing screenshots people took of the game at wider FoVs. He thought it made the game look bad.

I don't really understand that train of thought myself, because there are a lot of graphic options that, if tweaked, could make screenshots look bad, so why single out only FOV to lock down? Besides that, I think it looks more natural wider because in real life we don't have tunnel vision. We have slightly blurred peripheral vision too, and the wider FoV mimics that.

At another point in that same thread, he (or maybe one of the other devs) mentioned the wider FOV options were removed because of occlusion culling - on wider FOVs, there was the risk of seeing blocks disappearing on the edges. Someone pointed out (in more technical language than I'm about to) that the angle for the occlusion culling need not be fixed. It could vary according to the FoV which would solve that.

The convo didn't get much further than that if I recall because MadMole got tired of seeing all the posts on FOV and banned anyone from discussing it further. He labelled it 'off topic'.

I have my personal suspicion that maybe it has something to do with them not being able to fix that hack some lame losers were using in multiplayer to see under the ground. Of course removing the slider won't stop the exploiters because they will just use the console command.

I really hope the devs stop being so hard-headed about it. I suffer from motion sickness at the default field of view, and having to remember to type in the console command each time is annoying AF.

I guess it has already been reported : could we have the ability to manually open/close our electric doors/drawbridges ? Those things are awesome but sometimes you need to avoid the electric system.

Or at least can you remove the 2 seconds counter when we press 'E' ? I regurarly take off my drawbridge inadvertently.

There should be more zombies out in the

Woods and in fields more than buildings. While looting a buildings zombies should really be quite but roaming that whole poi. And have it so in at least every town theres a large horde of zombies stranding around. Its getting a little boring most of the killing is around horde night and looting poi's

i agree on this, i see next to no horde wandering hordes, very few zombies out in the cities, but a bunch inside houses justw aiting to be triggered and if you die, they just teleport back and wait to be triggered if you dont kill them.

it is a bit lame and just make sit weird.... it is a zombie survival game isnt it? it kinda feels more like jump scare game in a way lol.

... In addition I never found the steel tool schematic so I couldn't craft steel tools in either game, a total of 130+ play hours. ...

There definitely needs to be more steel tool part drops. I am on day 52 now and still only have a total of 6 steel tool parts. That means I cannot make even a single steel tool. ...

... - learning to craft auger before steel pickaxe. Why? ...

... Even impossible to get to steel tools, which are essential for that build, by adding "steel tool parts" which can only be looted and have 30 times lower drop rate than guns or gun parts. ...

Can I confirm so (A18 b155).

It reduces the fun, because you may have to use very long iron tools. The dealer should offer steel tools as a reward for tasks.

Suggestion Reward Dealer:

Tier 4 - Low Level Steel Tools

Tier 5 - Steel Tool Schematics

- - - -

The Alpha 18 is the best alpha I've played (playing since the Alpha 12)

(Unfortunately, I can only speak very little English. I have used translation program German – English.)

I'd have to agree the rotten meat for farm plots is a little excessive. Maybe switch it to hay bails instead; I mean I know people who directly plant into hay bails IRL but, I personally only bury 1 fish for tomatoes and I don't really need to do that.

Why do you feel it is excessive? How many farm plots do you feel, game balance-wise, should a player have in the 1st week of the game; assuming one is playing on the default 60 minute days.

I ask because I feel the number of rotten meat needed isn't the relevant point, it's how many plots should a player reasonably be expected to make.

Playing my game I was able to get 10 plots up in my first week without any special focus other than harvesting every corpse pile I found.

Can I confirm so (A18 b155).

It reduces the fun, because you may have to use very long iron tools. The dealer should offer steel tools as a reward for tasks.

Suggestion Reward Dealer:

Tier 4 - Low Level Steel Tools

Tier 5 - Steel Tool Schematics

- - - -

The Alpha 18 is the best alpha I've played (playing since the Alpha 12)

(Unfortunately, I can only speak very little English. I have used translation program German – English.)

Steel tools just have to be perk-opened, not only in scheme. Or, at least, not "All tools in one" scheme with higher drop rate

On my Day 16 i've found chainsaw AND auger schemes. But steel tools - only from looting.

I really hope the devs stop being so hard-headed about it. I suffer from motion sickness at the default field of view, and having to remember to type in the console command each time is annoying AF.

I can understand what you mean. I have a hard time believing the call was made solely on Madmole not liking the screenshots he saw. The occlusion thing seems more legit and coincides with my speculation it's a graphic thing.

Started a fresh game with a18.1 b4 and played 2 days in game and here is what I noticed (or maybe just imagining)

Less loot in general - My backpack didnt fill up as fast as past releases

Less guns found in loot - My routine would be bypass the bow completely and find a gun and ammo in the first/second POI I come across. Not this time. Been through 4 or 5 poi's before I came across a hunting rifle. Had to resort to bows and feathers in the meantime. Perfect.

potato's and seeds were dropping quite consistently.

Ducttape.... everywhere

lockpicking safes much more difficult without perks.

Hi all,

A18 as all the other alphas has a big problem (IMO). One you learn the POIs, you know pretty much where the juicy loot is scavenging through POIs it's not immersive anymore.

I was just thinking if it's possible to make the location of the good loot inside POIs random generated as well, would add a lot to the immersion and enjoyment.

Cheerio!

Hi all,

A18 as all the other alphas has a big problem (IMO). One you learn the POIs, you know pretty much where the juicy loot is scavenging through POIs it's not immersive anymore.

I was just thinking if it's possible to make the location of the good loot inside POIs random generated as well, would add a lot to the immersion and enjoyment.

Cheerio!

This would be a good idea.

Hi all,

Cheerio!

This would be a great idea, certain place holders in each POI that could randomly contain the TREASURE LOOT. This way you couldn't zone in on the same location every time.

Ahoi everybody, i'm new to this forum but i'm playing 7dtd like a maniac for 1 year now ... well so far so good, a lot of things have changed in alpha 17 and i like alpha 18 so far but there's a thing ... i'm Level 59 now ... i've got a base... ammo, a lot of guns and i'm glad i found all turrent receipts otherwise it would be hard to play - why? Well - i had an issue yesterday when i was stepping away from my compouter ( i'm just playing it offline not on a server) and didn't pause the game ... when i came back it was like hell unleashed ... i never, really never had such a mass of zombies attacking my base in bright daylight and it was not even a horde ... nothing ... i was just a screamer horde as it seemed and with every zombie killed two new approched the killing ... finally i logged out ... logged back in and since then i'm testing ... i have the game running for 3 hours now ... i've got turrets all around my base - 9 turrets ... just to keep the screamers away and every minute (sometimes more often) a screamer appeard ... my shotgun turrents are doing a good job but i had to use SMG turrets also to keep up the pace with the screamers ... so ... in alpha 17.4 i was level 180 and it was hard to play but ok ... this time i can not even produce ammo in a way that this f***** screamers can be killed ... preps for the horde nights are in no way possible .. holy crap this is not even playable any more :-) so what to do? start a new game - move my base since the heat is to high?

Spears are too easily lost after a poor throw. I think the last thrown spear should be shown on the map like a vehicle. A stone spear is no big deal but losing or having to search for an iron or steel one sucks, especially if it's loaded with mods. Not throwing your spear for fear of losing it effectively makes the perception melee weapon inferior as it then lacks a power attack. I also suspect that spears are still falling through the terrain but if it was on the map at least I'd know where to dig (joke). If already suggested then this is a supportive post.

Overall A18 is a big improvement.

Spears are too easily lost after a poor throw. I think the last thrown spear should be shown on the map like a vehicle. A stone spear is no big deal but losing or having to search for an iron or steel one sucks, especially if it's loaded with mods. Not throwing your spear for fear of losing it effectively makes the perception melee weapon inferior as it then lacks a power attack. I also suspect that spears are still falling through the terrain but if it was on the map at least I'd know where to dig (joke). If already suggested then this is a supportive post.

Overall A18 is a big improvement.

Yes, this.

I have suggested that they show last spear on compass, perhaps only when ducking like animal tracker because you're down on your hand and knees cursing the gods why you're the only specialist that throws his weapon full of mods away to use it effectively. Or just add a weapon mod specific to the spear called something really clever like "A ROPE" that means you can just pull it back/up after it hits/lands/sinks.

And yes agreed, overall A18 is an improvement.

Archived