Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Ew. Why do people want this game to be so bland? This isn't Fortnite or Apex Legends or Dota or something where everything has to be calculated for min-maxers. Pre-defined classes are the opposite of what should be in an open world survival game, and would further contribute to draining the water from what was at one time a deep experience with plenty of upside in the pipes.

You probably misunderstood my post. It was about renaming the attributes to look like classes, there would be no change to gameplay at all.

a18 Balancing Feedback

Progression is too fast. I don't believe that level gating is a good solution since many perks have level requirements already. But, in my games I find a lot of AK47s, military armor and steel and power tools long before I feel like I should. I'm in week 1 for example and have an auger, chainsaw, 4 ak47s, 3 iron pickaxes and I can't even make a forge yet.

I have to spend my first 5 points in INT if I want to be self sufficient. Even in a multiplayer game we all feel like we need to do this in order to make our own basic crafting stations. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but running around for two in-game weeks without a forge or workbench is really frustrating for players. I always unlock those things first but other players don't like being told how to play.

I may not be explaining this in a way that makes sense. When I offer solutions to struggling players they get upset that there choices are wrong because they're not getting the results they want for example from an agility build because they can't make repair kits without a workbench.

Progression is only too fast at early game. Leveling up past lvl 50 is a bitch. I dont think it's too fast, just fairly unbalanced. Should be a bit slower earlier and not too ridiculous hard latter on. But for the items, it's a choice to use them. You know using advanced tools in the early game will drain stamina like hell and they will be crappy and you're gonna spend tons of repair kits. Maybe they are too abundant, but they are still a choice of resources you're gonna have to pay for that. (if the problem is getting forged iron to make repair kits, there's plenty of ways to get them without a forge)

About the forge, there's currently 5 ways to get them (the same applies to workbenches):

-Perk

-Finding working forges on POIs/traders

-Finding schematics on broken forges

-Finding schematics on trader

-Finding the forge per se on traders.

I think that's a fair amount of ways to obtaining them. Specially if you consider 4 of them dont involve spending SP. Unless the loot abundance in your server is below default, your people must be either not looking hard enough or just having a real case of bad luck on RNG. And remember you can even "trick the server" with POI's quests resets to get your way into finding those.

It's only logical that there are more workbenches available than forges. You walk around your neighborhood and ask how many of your neighbors have a forge in their house. Possibly none. But it's very likely some of them will have some sort of workbench.

Now, don't get me wrong. I agree with you that some of these stuff are unbalanced. I just dont agree with the arguments you're using to justify your point.

Guest Baratan

I honestly don't have an argument or point other than trying to articulate the collective feedback of a small group of the game's players based solely on the most common complaints I'm hearing. Sure, I can tell them their complaint is invalid but when I do that I don't expect them to say, you're right why didn't I realize that I was wrong, lol. Hopefully the devs can glean something useful from the feedback and if not maybe I'll come up with something more useful in the future.

I honestly don't have an argument or point other than trying to articulate the collective feedback of a small group of the game's players based solely on the most common complaints I'm hearing. Sure, I can tell them their complaint is invalid but when I do that I don't expect them to say, you're right why didn't I realize that I was wrong, lol. Hopefully the devs can glean something useful from the feedback and if not maybe I'll come up with something more useful in the future.

These people would've a stroke if they played the game in A17 and earlier. THAT was when you were really forced to get things. Your people just lack patience. If they choose to not perk up into upgrades on INT, then they have to make do with what they've got and get it in other ways. That was always the intent behind A18. And it was a huge step in the right direction.

As it stands, Intellect tree is a must and everyone knows that. But playing without it is doable. (I know I have)

The problem with the argument "if I use a shotgun, why cant I craft first aid kits?" is simple: A18 perk system wasnt designed to be full one-tree spec. It was always announced that you'd have one primary tree, a secondary and maybe spread into a third one (if you felt like doing so). It's just different areas of knowledge: one is guns, the other is medicine. And you can have both, just dedicate yourself to learning both. But they simply dont walk together unless you (the player) want them to.

I feel like maybe I should just give up at this point. But simply telling the players that they lack the required patience to enjoy the game isn't a valid solution. I mind as well just tell them don't let the door hit them on the way out. So, 5 out of 6 players leave the game as a result. Mission accomplished?

I personally like Ravenhearst which brings back a lot of the busy work from previous alphas and 4/6 players seem to hate it. So, collectively we are glad that vanilla has moved in the direction that it has. However a few minor complaints remain, as exhaustively described in prior posts.

I feel like maybe I should just give up at this point. But simply telling the players that they lack the required patience to enjoy the game isn't a valid solution. I mind as well just tell them don't let the door hit them on the way out. So, 5 out of 6 players leave the game as a result. Mission accomplished?

I personally like Ravenhearst which brings back a lot of the busy work from previous alphas and 4/6 players seem to hate it. So, collectively we are glad that vanilla has moved in the direction that it has. However a few minor complaints remain, as exhaustively described in prior posts.

You wanted to give this feedback to the developers and since they read this forum, probably they have seen this. So your primary mission is accomplished.

The forum is also full with other players with different opinions who can and will discuss any ideas brought up. Don't think they have any say in this matter, although it sure helps if lots of people see it your way.

Hopefully your other players have some patience left though. Because even if you convinced a dev to make changes those can take many months until they arrive in vanilla. Did you think about the option to play previous alphas? Maybe some early alpha you've never seen before?

Here’s what you tell them:

The game is still in development and the balance isn’t where they want it yet but there will be changes.

What you all have to decide is whether you think you’ll want to play this game for the next couple of years and experience those changes or if it would be best to shelve it and come back to it later. If you think your group will lose interest before much longer maybe you should come back to it later and then everyone will be like “Yeah, that was a fun game with some problems back when we played it last year. Let’s give it another go and see if it’s better”

@Baratan

What you wrote is actually a positive thing.

Many on this forum will tell you that the vanilla progression is way too easy / too fast.

If others consider it too slow / too hard then we must be pretty close to the happy medium.

I've seen several youtubers saying "intellect tree is a must" and having played this game since A16, I can state that since A17 I have never ever put a single point into daring adventurer or charismatic nature. Sure you get benefits, but I dont think they are necessary. AT ALL.

I do agree with the better barter tho.

For the other perks, I think just removing the bonus from the perks would balance it out. I understand TFP wanna try to give some benefits to those who invest into the perks so they dont feel cheated later on, when you get schematics of stuff you already learned by perk. But I believe removing the bonuses would be a way to make intellect tree much less prioritizing.

May I point out that if you have never put points in Daring Adventurer, you don't know what you are missing? Nothing is necessary, and I'm not saying it is. What I'm saying is that the impact of not having those skills in the Intellect tree far surpasses the impact of not having any other skill in any other attribute tree.

Daring Adventurer is not just "oh, more choices of the same thing". The first point you put into it, the third reward, is almost always ammunition. That's a huge impact early game, and very useful even late game.

If you are holding certain multi-shape blocks and aim at certain other multi-shape blocks, you can choose "copy shape" from the radial menu. Can we please have this enabled for ALL multi-shape blocks?

You can. Mind you, you can only copy wet concrete when placing a concrete block, you can only copy flagstone, when placing a flagstone block, etc. I very much doubt "copy shape" can be available between blocks because, atm, the game has no way of knowing when block shapes are equivalent. But, hey, I'm not TFP, and I'd like that too. :)

Hello!

I don't know if anyone has said this at all, so I will just state my opinion.

I have been playing for a while (probably not as much as most people here) and I found that in alpha 18 this game become more of an RPG than crafting. Like levels are REALLY necessary, and most of the time you go for combat skills. In contrast, experience from each zombie is rather low, which made me go farm experience by killing zombies, rather than crafting/collecting materials.

I also felt a little bit annoyed how I can't craft some things unless I have special parts. I mean, I HAVE to go looting around to be able to craft steel tools, guns and some armors. Also the fact that we can't craft quality 6 is pretty lame. Normally you only get quality 6 late game, so I think it would be nice to unlock it quality 6 as last quality in skill points or something like this.

Also think that farms are really annoying. Before you could harvest farm with the "Use action" (E), now I have to punch it to gather it? I mean, it really is annoying to farm, which make me not want to have a big farm and just focus on canned foods I get from houses. Maybe it was made to be like that, but I personally don't like it. In my point of view, I think farms should be hard to make and easy to harvest. In fact you could also add something that would need us to keep farm in check. Like have water every 2 blocks away from it, that would disappear every X days or something like this.

Regarding the blood moon. I'm not sure what the other players thought about this, but I didn't like it the infinite amount of zombies that come. Before I had to make a base to survive and kill zombies. Now i just have to endure it, since zombies won't stop coming until it is over. I think having a set amount of zombies for each blood moon would be better, and I would feel that each wave is indeed getting harder. I feel like the difficulty of waves only change because of the types of zombies.

I was playing Warrior difficulty, and I also felt that there weren't many hordes during normal days. I think having more hordes would make it more fun too. I am not sure if difficulty changes the frequency of random hordes during normal days, but increasing difficulty could increase the number of hordes. I am in day 37 and I only see lone screamers, and hardly any horde.

Anyway that is my opinion about what I have been playing. Not sure if anyone mentioned anything about it or if others agree of not with me.

TFP want us to get out and loot more, instead of staying in the base crafting. So this is by design, and I doubt our opinions will change their minds about the crafting and looting aspects. As far as the farm goes (I may be incorrect) hitting the plant to harvest instead of the 'use' key changed due to the lag caused by the old method of farming. Previously the game recalculated stability (I think) when the plants were harvested and it resulted in quite a bit of lag, especially in multiplayer servers. As far as blood moon horde is concerned... it's heavily based on gamestage, but you can change how many BM zombies are spawned at once in the settings if you think it's too much. I usually have my BM spawns and running speeds turned down because my computer gets low FPS (Side note, since the latest experimental 18.4 dropped I have reached 30+ fps and I haven't seen that good of a performance since A16 ended.)

Regarding the blood moon. I'm not sure what the other players thought about this, but I didn't like it the infinite amount of zombies that come. Before I had to make a base to survive and kill zombies. Now i just have to endure it, since zombies won't stop coming until it is over.

I'll just focus on this bit because it's the only part I had a comment/reply come to mind quickly for.

Don't hold still. You can use almost any old prefab if you have room to run around so they're all beating on different blocks and pathing to different places constantly. I've pretty much stopped creating my own fighting space from scratch, unless I'm with others that insist on doing so, in which case I put down some perimeter obstacles to make the Z's pathing as expensive as possible. (slow down their progress with back-and-forth laterals, etc.) That's mostly what I'd do to reinforce a prefab, too, for that matter. I've come to really like wooden bars.

Regarding the blood moon. I'm not sure what the other players thought about this, but I didn't like it the infinite amount of zombies that come. Before I had to make a base to survive and kill zombies. Now i just have to endure it, since zombies won't stop coming until it is over. I think having a set amount of zombies for each blood moon would be better, and I would feel that each wave is indeed getting harder. I feel like the difficulty of waves only change because of the types of zombies.

Blood moons use specific spawn data. It is not infinite.

For example:

<gamestage stage="7"><spawn group="feralHordeStageGS7" num="10" maxAlive="5" duration="1"/></gamestage>

That is for an early game GS 7. 10 total zombies. All the game stages are like that, but they quickly end up have hundreds of zombies because we want it to last through the night.

Would finding 48 Repair Kits in ONE Working Stiffs crate be a bug or is that supposed to be possible?

It was day 4 and I was hoarding my repair kits like they were made of gold so this was the most excited I've been about a drop since I started playing this game. :tickled_pink:

Guys, is there a way to change the timer of demolishers`explosion time ?

Insane difficulty should be insane :p

Change ExplodeDelay for zombieDemolition in the entityclasses.xml

Default is 2 seconds. Set it to 0 and he should explode without warning.

Change ExplodeDelay for zombieDemolition in the entityclasses.xml

Default is 2 seconds. Set it to 0 and he should explode without warning.

Thank you !

We will play with these values in a matter to test the traps and paths we have in mind, experiments will be done.

Though, immediate explosion is not what we look for, it is more like to adapt around and prevent them do their job. All that while taking care of all the cool stuff that happens in horde nights. But in wasteland and on insane.

#help

Would finding 48 Repair Kits in ONE Working Stiffs crate be a bug or is that supposed to be possible?

It was day 4 and I was hoarding my repair kits like they were made of gold so this was the most excited I've been about a drop since I started playing this game. :tickled_pink:

I and folks I have played with have seen this several times. Can't tell you if it's a bug or intended, but it's one of the better results of opening one of those crates! Much better than a few rebar blocks or an iron door...

Was it maybe a "car parts shipping crate" instead of a normal "working stiffs" crate? According to XML a working stiffs could possible give you 12 kits max, a car parts crate up to 50.

Hello!

It's not infinite. There's three waves. Each wave will start when the previous one is over, or at 10pm, midnight and 2am respectively, whichever comes first. Press F1 to look at the console, and you'll see a message whenever a zombie spawns saying which wave it belongs to, what's it's number in that wave, how many zombies there are in that wave, and how many zombies can be active simultaneously in that wave.

The default setting of 8 simultaneous zombies is not enough to exhaust hordes before morning comes, however. But, as a practical example, Kage848 (an youtuber) last horde night was day 35, and he has either 12 or 16 simultaneous zombies, and his horde night was over by 2am.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic

Archived