Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

The desert is an advanced biome. If you want to stay there as a low-level character you have to find clothes that cool you. And yes, good armor won't cool you, but cooling mesh mods that you can put into the armor will.

Normally you don't have all that as a low-level, so the other choices are investing in the perk "Well insulated" or simply, trivially .......... take lots of water with you.

Wow thanks! That is incredibly helpful! I didn't even consider the mods. I think I will travel a bit and find a pine-forest or other cooler biome. As a general rule when I gen a world I like to "play where it lies" ( although when starting in the burnt forest biome I learned quickly this was a challenge I was not up for LOL ), but I am totally cool revisiting later when I'm more prepared. Also good to know it's not a bug or anything, I'm happy to take on the challenge of working it out strategically. In that case apologies for the out-of-place post.

Thanks much for the reply, the help is appreciated!

In regards to repair kits, are we going to vary how many repair kits are need to repair an item. I ind it funny that one repair kit can repair a whole 4x4 or a handgun, a little bit of variety would be greatly appreciated seeming repair kits are so easy to make.

Yes, it does those also. That is how I tested if you had say a chance of 1.25 items, it would give you one plus a 25% chance of a second.

Really strange. I did a test in A18.2b2 with 30 small ammo loot piles and at 100% all had loot and at 75% loot abundance only 10 (aka 33%) had loot in them (instead of the expected 22-23 aka 75%).

I know, 30 boxes is a really low amount for a statistical test, but the observed deviation is quite big (and I did the test only because other people made similar observations).

Really strange. I did a test in A18.2b2 with 30 small ammo loot piles and at 100% all had loot and at 75% loot abundance only 10 (aka 33%) had loot in them (instead of the expected 22-23 aka 75%).

I know, 30 boxes is a really low amount for a statistical test, but the observed deviation is quite big (and I did the test only because other people made similar observations).

It could of gotten broken somewhere along the way. I have not tested it in probably a year.

In regards to repair kits, are we going to vary how many repair kits are need to repair an item. I ind it funny that one repair kit can repair a whole 4x4 or a handgun, a little bit of variety would be greatly appreciated seeming repair kits are so easy to make.

I think it's a little odd, too. It kind of makes durability pointless, since repair kits are so easy to make that you can just carry a stack around and repair anything whenever you want.

But because they are so easy to make, I'm not sure simply increasing the required number of repair kits is enough.

IMHO it would be better to have it similar to how it was pre-A18, when you had to repair stuff with specific materials. To repair a steel tool, you should have to use one repair kit and one bar of steel; a handgun would require a repair kit and gun parts; and so forth.

I'm not sure what all should be required to repair vehicles though. Maybe different recipes could repair them by different amounts (e.g. repair kit + wheel = 50% and repair kit + engine = 75%).

This is all just spitballing though.

I think it's a little odd, too. It kind of makes durability pointless, since repair kits are so easy to make that you can just carry a stack around and repair anything whenever you want.

But because they are so easy to make, I'm not sure simply increasing the required number of repair kits is enough.

IMHO it would be better to have it similar to how it was pre-A18, when you had to repair stuff with specific materials. To repair a steel tool, you should have to use one repair kit and one bar of steel; a handgun would require a repair kit and gun parts; and so forth.

I'm not sure what all should be required to repair vehicles though. Maybe different recipes could repair them by different amounts (e.g. repair kit + wheel = 50% and repair kit + engine = 75%).

This is all just spitballing though.

A repair kit having a fixed value to repair sounds better.

A repair kit having a fixed value to repair sounds better.

I agree, again spitballing here but like 3x repair kits for a handgun but 5x for a machine gun, the car, in my opinon, should carry a hefty weight of like 15-25 repair kits or less but make it like the lock pick that when are repairing the car have a cool down timer where youre stuck doing it.

Madmole already said in a19 vehicles will take assorted damage and require other materials for repairs, so this idea is already obsolete.

@Fataal:

Can someone please look at the mp gamestage multiplier? With two people on nomad the day 42 horde wrecked a non cheese base design that was tested with sp, 32 alive, gamestage 350 on day 300 or so and was fine.

As it is now, without a total cheese base, MP is pretty much unsustainable. (Sp I've had no issues up to day 77, but mp has been a trainwreck with several base designs nd several playthroughs now.

Just turning down the gamestage multiplier formula should fix the issue, I'd think. It feels like gamestage is just multiplied by number of players, which is crazy high.

Its hard coded, and modders can't adjust it either.

For testing and base experimentation purposes, we used to be able to trigger a bloodmoon and thats also been broken since a16 I think.

It'd be nice to have a console command for that, and might be beneficial to you guys as well.

@Fataal:

Can someone please look at the mp gamestage multiplier? With two people on nomad the day 42 horde wrecked a non cheese base design that was tested with sp, 32 alive, gamestage 350 on day 300 or so and was fine.

As it is now, without a total cheese base, MP is pretty much unsustainable. (Sp I've had no issues up to day 77, but mp has been a trainwreck with several base designs nd several playthroughs now.

For a little while I had four other players to game with, but they've scattered to the winds and I think the last two blood moons may have been a factor. I had fun despite the, ah, enhanced challenge, but I think it was a bit much for them. We didn't even have that many demolisher appearances, from what I saw. Lots of green, though.

came up with a bit of a fix for the mp GS explosion. tones it down abit, does not affect sp play. but does bring in MP to a more SP timeline. still needs tewaking tho. instead of demo's on week 2, we get a couple on week 4. in sp, I dont see any til week 6

<config>

<remove xpath="/gamestages/config"/>

<append xpath="/gamestages">

<config

daysAliveChangeWhenKilled="2"

scavengerGameDifficultyBonus="1"

adventurerGameDifficultyBonus="1.2"

nomadGameDifficultyBonus="1.5"

warriorGameDifficultyBonus="1.7"

survivalistGameDifficultyBonus="2"

insaneGameDifficultyBonus="2.5"

startingWeight =".3"

diminishingReturns ="-0.25"

/>

</append>

</config>

Just imagine that the ground underneath eroded with the time and the structure holds shape. We`ve seen far worst back in the centuries ;)

i cant it Bugs the hell out of me. Idk why i don't have OCD or anything like that.

it makes me so angry. in fact i get so mad about that it makes Doom Guy looks like hes on Xanax

it makes Death metal sound like mine craft music

it makes Mosquito look like Cute puppy's

While im at it. Random gen just has a lot of bugs to do with pop in and Stuff just popping out. like TREES , gore blocks , Metal plates , and the magical Tile thats pops up. for me it mostly happens in RNG

i have some problems with with navezgane (mostly Trees pop in and out) but a simple log out and in fixes it.

i also hope that later on they update navezgane with all the new POIs and maybe even a few new towns or citys like this thing in the wasteland [ATTACH=CONFIG]31169[/ATTACH]

The pay off is in time. You don't have to wait for concrete to dry and upgrade again. You can just upgrade the frame and paint.

- - - Updated - - -

What are the chances we both reply to the same 5 hour post at the same time with a similar answer

The problem with that is that you already had to wait for the materials to smelt, then for the frames to craft. I'd say you lose more time with the frames. No you don't have to wait on drying concrete twice over, but there isn't enough difference in time for it to be worth it. Concrete does have this as well so it isn't really that much different there, truth be told.

The real problem is which is more important, iron or time? I'd say that would always be iron. Iron can be had in large amounts if you find the right node, but that's IF you find that node. Stone is far easier to find and mine than iron. Probably the greatest difference between the two would be in mining. Stone can be mined literally anywhere. Iron can only be had from an iron node. The problem with that is finding it in large quantities. In my current world, I've mined several places for iron. The first 4 locations were extremely limited and tapped out rather quickly. Now, I did recently find the motherload of iron nodes, but that was quite a bit of luck. The difference is that I now have upwards of 140k of stone and about 45k or Iron. Stone simply is easier to get.

The problem with that is that you already had to wait for the materials to smelt, then for the frames to craft. I'd say you lose more time with the frames. No you don't have to wait on drying concrete twice over, but there isn't enough difference in time for it to be worth it. Concrete does have this as well so it isn't really that much different there, truth be told.

The real problem is which is more important, iron or time? I'd say that would always be iron. Iron can be had in large amounts if you find the right node, but that's IF you find that node. Stone is far easier to find and mine than iron. Probably the greatest difference between the two would be in mining. Stone can be mined literally anywhere. Iron can only be had from an iron node. The problem with that is finding it in large quantities. In my current world, I've mined several places for iron. The first 4 locations were extremely limited and tapped out rather quickly. Now, I did recently find the motherload of iron nodes, but that was quite a bit of luck. The difference is that I now have upwards of 140k of stone and about 45k or Iron. Stone simply is easier to get.

my 3 man game has that in reverse.

we have 110 bundles of iron. 1 guy does salvage. I mine with 4 in both perks. we have a reinforced concrete house, but limited sand, so stone has to be broken down for sand, then more stone needs to be smelted, then even more stone goes into the manufacture.

we still dont have stone back up. it is going as fast as I can bring it in as the 3rd person is a crafter pumping it all back out for building.

between salvage and mining, iron is not an issue.

my 3 man game has that in reverse.

we have 110 bundles of iron. 1 guy does salvage. I mine with 4 in both perks. we have a reinforced concrete house, but limited sand, so stone has to be broken down for sand, then more stone needs to be smelted, then even more stone goes into the manufacture.

we still dont have stone back up. it is going as fast as I can bring it in as the 3rd person is a crafter pumping it all back out for building.

between salvage and mining, iron is not an issue.

Salvaging can net alot of iron especially if perked into salvaging. 😎👍

Frames don't take a lot to make but then I use multiple forges. It's worth it for me especially when my build requires multiple layers of steel and waiting for cement to dry holds up my build. The other benefit is I can use frames to map out ideas and if they look good I just fill them in. You can't pick up flagstone if something isn't working for you.

Frames don't take a lot to make but then I use multiple forges. It's worth it for me especially when my build requires multiple layers of steel and waiting for cement to dry holds up my build. The other benefit is I can use frames to map out ideas and if they look good I just fill them in. You can't pick up flagstone if something isn't working for you.

Great point! Time is money friend!!! 😂

The problem with that is that you already had to wait for the materials to smelt, then for the frames to craft.

If you're waiting for smelting or crafting, you don't have enough forges and workbenches and mixers and such. One of each station is adequate for a sp game if you put some foresight into your crafting, but for instance having a second forge dedicated to cement making can be handy, I sink a 30-35m shaft for the workshop (depending on whether I start from a basement), start it with a forge on the second or third night, its rather-than-go-idle task is making cement for the first few weeks. That's deep enough that screamers never show up, getting interrupted isn't a problem.

The problem with [iron] is finding it in large quantities.

Finding more iron than I can use hasn't been a problem for me, could be I've just gotten lucky but exploratory tunnels from the workshop have been very very good to me. My early game is map exploration, home invasion and slaughter during the day, exploratory tunnelling and mining at night, a very simple defensible-weak-point bunker sees me easily through many horde nights. Somewhere in week 2 I add a chem station for molotovs and first aid, one good day's oil-shale mining can supply a month's defense needs and picking up enough aloe and yucca is a while-you're-there thing until the farm plots kick in. For some reason I resist going the pipe-bombs route, don't know why. But no vein I've found deep has run dry yet.

As the game stage gets higher I'm more and more able to explore and travel at night, which actually feels a little off to me. Zombies picking up some more of a Kingdom flavor sounds fun, maybe just make migratory minihordes more of a thing at night so you learn to be a little careful coming over a rise or going through a forest or whatever.

As the game stage gets higher I'm more and more able to explore and travel at night, which actually feels a little off to me.

I have found the same and had the same reaction. As soon as I have a firearm for point-blank defense against wolves and/or spider zombies I find myself traveling at night more often than not. It feels weird for a zombie game. It's partly because I can't see much so scouting is a non-starter at night. I haul an extra load of stuff from looting stash to a more central location, if not all the way "home." Once I get a head lamp I'll bike between known towns at night doing that, even, since otherwise that's a waste of perfectly good daylight.

Archived