Hunting Rifle

humprey

EDIT: Replied to an old tab again, but I'll leave it as is .. :)

You guys are talking different parts of the shooting cycle..

ADS > shift to sprint works always, regardless of manual or toggled ADS (Gazz's point)

"Manual press to hold ADS" > release right mouse to stop ADS, works, if you're not reloading.

If you are reloading, AFTER reload, you're put back in ADS, in the toggled version of it.

Since the hunting rifle still auto-reloads after every shot, every manual ADS-shot with it puts you into a locked ADS state. Same with crossbow. Not really game breaking, but cumbersome and annoying.

**Not game breaking unless your zombies are always running or it is night time or they are raging. Then ya, it becomes a bit of poop-show, especially at higher difficulties

I hadnt connected the dots and realized it was only on reload, I get it now. Hope this changes for the 1 shot weapons. (cant even imagine what pain it is with the x-bows, they have an even longer reload afaik)

Well, I use "game breaking" for unavoidable outcomes or whatnot.. Once you know this one, you can avoid any delays by switching weapons to end the reload-cycle and won't be back in ADS. If the ADS-toggle issue is making the difference between getting hit and not, stopping the reload (for the run speed) is usually what you should be doing anyway.

**Not game breaking unless your zombies are always running or it is night time or they are raging. Then ya, it becomes a bit of poop-show, especially at higher difficulties

I hadnt connected the dots and realized it was only on reload, I get it now. Hope this changes for the 1 shot weapons. (cant even imagine what pain it is with the x-bows, they have an even longer reload afaik)

Happens with the Crossbow and Blunderbuss, as well. Very much not intuitive to have the ADS return and lock you in after each shot. I prefer hold to aim, so when I release the button it releases the ADS. Not a game breaker, just annoying.

Well, I use "game breaking" for unavoidable outcomes or whatnot.. Once you know this one, you can avoid any delays by switching weapons to end the reload-cycle and won't be back in ADS. If the ADS-toggle issue is making the difference between getting hit and not, stopping the reload (for the run speed) is usually what you should be doing anyway.

The reload is not what I have a problem with. (I have perks and mods to get my reload down to manageable) Its the extra moment after the reload and disorientation the weird animation interrupt causes. Both of yall admit it is janky. Maybe just get on board with asking for fix instead of suggesting a work around that doesn't really fix the issue.

Interrupting the reload just means I have to switch weps, switch back, reload again. A downward spiral of jankiness.

It is not even about being about to get hit. Although when z's are running it is that much more of an annoyance. It is janky even when you are just sniping them from med-high range and in no danger.

And ya, me saying game breaking is more jokingly, or hyperbole. Its not game breaking of course. I feel it does need a fix though.

The hunting rifle is trash, period. The fact it's in the same crafting tier as the ak is laughable.

Ak is more dps than hunting rifle. Unless you're really low on ammo, and ammo is everywhere in alpha 18, I see no reason the hr is any good.

But that is then a balancing problem. Every weapon should have a purpose. And apart from the very primitive weapons, also in the later game.

The hunting rifle is trash, period. The fact it's in the same crafting tier as the ak is laughable.

Ak is more dps than hunting rifle. Unless you're really low on ammo, and ammo is everywhere in alpha 18, I see no reason the hr is any good.

I dont even like the AK compared to the HR. But they are 2 different animals. I am not going to run into a POI and try to use the HR for close quarters... That is not what it is for.

It is however a lot of fun to use at med-long range out in the open, as it should be. Or AP rounds perked with a base setup to line a horde up. AK is great for spray and pray at close range in a crowded POI. I prefer to aim and spend 1 bullet instead of 2-5 out in the open.. guaranteed head shot, not so with the AK

HR is nearly twice the damage of that AK, for the same bullet..

Not sure what difficulty u play, but on Survivalist or higher, ammo is still important to me. I wouldnt want to constantly have to be mining and looting brass/ wasting dukes, when I can save where I can.

And ya, me saying game breaking is more jokingly, or hyperbole. Its not game breaking of course. I feel it does need a fix though.
Yeah, I think we agree about 100%, I want it fixed as well. It's not going to kill me (even in the game), but sure is annoying.

Man Kage, I knew you didn't like the HR but dang XD DPS isn't everything unless its an "Oh S***" moment to me at least, mostly I use whatever suits the moment, and if I got it. (HR for distance and lined up zombies, AK/m60 for piles but not lined up/POI and I fell through the floor into a trap, silenced pistol for night runs if feathers are slow going....fists for anything else)

Eh, you just can't shoot. We know, we've watched you quite a bit ;)

Btw, saw you buying brass, remember that the dukes are 1 brass each, 10 brass for 50 brass sounds like a bad deal ;)

Eh, you just can't shoot. We know, we've watched you quite a bit ;)

Btw, saw you buying brass, remember that the dukes are 1 brass each, 10 brass for 50 brass sounds like a bad deal ;)

Good tip thanks lol. Seems like tfp got some more balancing to do.

Man Kage, I knew you didn't like the HR but dang XD DPS isn't everything unless its an "Oh S***" moment to me at least, mostly I use whatever suits the moment, and if I got it. (HR for distance and lined up zombies, AK/m60 for piles but not lined up/POI and I fell through the floor into a trap, silenced pistol for night runs if feathers are slow going....fists for anything else)

I may have been overstating it by saying its trash lol. But, Dps is the only thing that's going to save your life when the ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan. That 10 minute reload time on that horrible weapon will only get you killed.

Long range zombie sniping? Yea, I guess. But the long range zombie is ZERO threat. I'd rather have the raw dps output than that long sniper shot that means next to nothing lol.

If people like the hr that's cool. To each there own. But putting it in the same unlock spot as the far superior ak is just wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont even like the AK compared to the HR. But they are 2 different animals. I am not going to run into a POI and try to use the HR for close quarters... That is not what it is for.

It is however a lot of fun to use at med-long range out in the open, as it should be. Or AP rounds perked with a base setup to line a horde up. AK is great for spray and pray at close range in a crowded POI. I prefer to aim and spend 1 bullet instead of 2-5 out in the open.. guaranteed head shot, not so with the AK

HR is nearly twice the damage of that AK, for the same bullet..

Not sure what difficulty u play, but on Survivalist or higher, ammo is still important to me. I wouldnt want to constantly have to be mining and looting brass/ wasting dukes, when I can save where I can.

Twice the damage on the HR is weak when you think how much damage the AK can put out during that terrible reload time.

But I do understand if ammo if of major concern I guess the HR has a place. Still think its crap though.

Penetrator Perk, under the Perception tree (which governs Hunting and Marksmen rifles) allows up to +3 additional targets to be pierced by a single AP round (I think normal cap is 2 or 3). That's up to +500%/+600% damage PER BULLET with a HR or MR. Tell me again how the AK has more DPS?

With the AK perked up, its dps could possibly outrank the HR/MR even with max penetrator, just depends on circumstances (lined up vs spread out, long distance vs close)

Kage loves the AK/M60, I like the HR, to each their own

but the HR is still better than the AK XD

Nah it is not trash. Depends on situation really. Single zombies in the distance the hunting rifle is the go-to weapon. For groups and you can use the AK (well or in my case the M60). However I can sometimes one-shot radiated zombies in sneak mode with my hunting rifle. It is also my main weapon of choice during horde nights :). The M60 is for close encounters or groups of zombies. I save my shotgun shells for my auto shotgun turrets.

Penetrator Perk, under the Perception tree (which governs Hunting and Marksmen rifles) allows up to +3 additional targets to be pierced by a single AP round (I think normal cap is 2 or 3). That's up to +500%/+600% damage PER BULLET with a HR or MR. Tell me again how the AK has more DPS?

Oh wow. Your magical scenario where 3 zombies line up in a conga line for your mythical perfect damage shot lol. Then you woke up.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah it is not trash. Depends on situation really. Single zombies in the distance the hunting rifle is the go-to weapon. For groups and you can use the AK (well or in my case the M60). However I can sometimes one-shot radiated zombies in sneak mode with my hunting rifle. It is also my main weapon of choice during horde nights :). The M60 is for close encounters or groups of zombies. I save my shotgun shells for my auto shotgun turrets.

Yea zombies off in the distance is a good use for the HR over the AK I'll concede that. It's just when the going gets tough the go to gun is the AK.

- - - Updated - - -

With the AK perked up, its dps could possibly outrank the HR/MR even with max penetrator, just depends on circumstances (lined up vs spread out, long distance vs close)

Kage loves the AK/M60, I like the HR, to each their own

but the HR is still better than the AK XD

Meh. I'm partially over arguing the case cause I'm bored today lol.

But I still dont think the ak and hr should be on the same crafting tier. The hr just ain't umgood enough. Just my opinion.

Oh wow. Your magical scenario where 3 zombies line up in a conga line for your mythical perfect damage shot lol. Then you woke up.

Except there is nothing "magical" about it. You can either design a base around their pathing AI to force them into a line, or you can left them group up in a bunch and fire into that group, and still penetrate more enemies than the AK47 using the same ammunition. That doesn't make the rifles better than machine guns for that usage scenario, but to say the gun is trash because the DPS is trash is a little far-fetched, especially considering Perks. Further, if you're specializing into Perception it would be silly not to max out Demolitions Expert, and I could imagine pumped up explosives combined with Penetrator and a Marksman Rifle being very devastating on a BM horde. You don't have to like the rifles, especially if they don't suit your gameplay style. I don't care for spears. To each their own. Point being, rifles aren't trash just because you don't like them.

It should go without saying I'm not intending any offense, just refuting the idea that this or that is "trash" simply because someone doesn't like it. FWIW, I enjoy your videos, so don't take my comments personally. ;)

But I still dont think the ak and hr should be on the same crafting tier. The hr just ain't umgood enough. Just my opinion.

Other side of the coin dictates that could mean the AK is overpower for its tier. I don't know if the Hunting Rifle is under powered or the AK is overpowered, but I can see why you feel that in comparison to another tier 2 weapon it feels weak.

And it is super fun if you can keep yourself midrange from z's. Something very satisfying about quick headshots with the HR. Another reason I hope they take out that auto-ADS nonsense. Its much more fun controlling when you ADS.

It turns into a pain when you are trying to move around while using the HR instead of standing still the whole time.

Slap a reflex sight on a hunting rifle and watch as when you ADS it pretty much instantly fully tightens the crosshairs as tight as they can go. Plus it has a laser pointer, I'd not use hunting rifle or marksman rifle as a main weapon though, to small clip size for my liking, I prefer at least a pistol for mid range. Unless you know that one shot is going to be a instakill. Which even on warrior difficulty a decently rolled 3 slot hunting rifle with 2 mods in it, will probally 1 shot normal male zombies when standing with headshots even without anything in perception. Its very ammo efficent like the shotgun is. I've gotten my shotgun doing 22x8 with buckshot, and thats not including the bonuses from perks on top (they really need to have perk bonuses show up somewhere, it used to show on the modify window in a17.4 itd show your actual damage with perks+mods on that window)

Except there is nothing "magical" about it. You can either design a base around their pathing AI to force them into a line, or you can left them group up in a bunch and fire into that group, and still penetrate more enemies than the AK47 using the same ammunition. That doesn't make the rifles better than machine guns for that usage scenario, but to say the gun is trash because the DPS is trash is a little far-fetched, especially considering Perks. Further, if you're specializing into Perception it would be silly not to max out Demolitions Expert, and I could imagine pumped up explosives combined with Penetrator and a Marksman Rifle being very devastating on a BM horde. You don't have to like the rifles, especially if they don't suit your gameplay style. I don't care for spears. To each their own. Point being, rifles aren't trash just because you don't like them.

It should go without saying I'm not intending any offense, just refuting the idea that this or that is "trash" simply because someone doesn't like it. FWIW, I enjoy your videos, so don't take my comments personally. ;)

Other side of the coin dictates that could mean the AK is overpower for its tier. I don't know if the Hunting Rifle is under powered or the AK is overpowered, but I can see why you feel that in comparison to another tier 2 weapon it feels weak.

The Hunting rifle is not a Damage Per Second weapon, its a damage per shot weapon. Sadly damage per shot weapons are usually vastly out preformed by things with bigger clips. Even a pistol easly out dps's the hunting rifle. Hunting rifle is all about 1 shot 1 kill. Marksman rifle a little less so as it doesn't hit as hard as the hunting rifle (Which IMO is really stupid, just like how the smg hits for less than a friggin pistol does. They had a excuse for the pistol and smg in a16, but now that there is a full auto mod, to turn most guns full auto, there is no excuse why the smg has lower base damage than the pistol. It should match it at the very least. The ak47 and M60 have roughly the same damage, but the M60 just has almost double the clip so that makes it a tier higher.

Known issues:

• Not all players know how to use a long range, high damage, slow firing weapon

[*]Known issues not all players know how to use a long range high damage fast firing weapon.

If a zombies so far away i can't reliably put rounds into it with an AK all day long it just doesn't matter because i'll be lucky to see the thing at that range. And whilst the HR might deal more damage per shot my average Rof with the AK is so much higher that unless ammo is a massive issue it just doesn't matter. And f it is you've got a balance issue with the AK.

The only time to pull out the marksmen IMO is if you've got a zombie cold and can take as long to take it out as you want. But in that situation a single sneak headshot from the AK will kill damn near anything, (though for that i preffer a bow to the head instead, but thats just me).

[*]Known issues not all players know how to use a long range high damage fast firing weapon.

If a zombies so far away i can't reliably put rounds into it with an AK all day long it just doesn't matter because i'll be lucky to see the thing at that range. And whilst the HR might deal more damage per shot my average Rof with the AK is so much higher that unless ammo is a massive issue it just doesn't matter. And f it is you've got a balance issue with the AK.

The only time to pull out the marksmen IMO is if you've got a zombie cold and can take as long to take it out as you want. But in that situation a single sneak headshot from the AK will kill damn near anything, (though for that i preffer a bow to the head instead, but thats just me).

So you are playing at least survivalist right, or insane? with x32 or better on the horde night right?

Or maybe you are playing default where stuff dies when you blow on a dandylion in their direction?

Just saying. Get to high Gamestage, play with harder settings, play past day 60, then tell me ammo doesnt matter and efficiency in kills is pointless. My AK dont 1 shot squat.

Also I dont need any extra time with the HR. If its out, heads are poppin quick. Ever tried it perked and modded for reload speed, with a bandoleer, its damn near no reload ever.

I may have been overstating it by saying its trash lol. But, Dps is the only thing that's going to save your life when the ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan. That 10 minute reload time on that horrible weapon will only get you killed.

Long range zombie sniping? Yea, I guess. But the long range zombie is ZERO threat. I'd rather have the raw dps output than that long sniper shot that means next to nothing lol.

If people like the hr that's cool. To each there own. But putting it in the same unlock spot as the far superior ak is just wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Twice the damage on the HR is weak when you think how much damage the AK can put out during that terrible reload time.

But I do understand if ammo if of major concern I guess the HR has a place. Still think its crap though.

You clearly haven't considered the perk tree in your assessment. The hunting rifle is great DPS if you spec into it and reload times are nothing as well if you spec into Run and Gun. Get a bandoleir and it's not even a single second reload time. What are the changes you want? It's just not viable as a close range weapon at lower levels.

The AK is much better but the only time you can use it at lower level is for SHTF moments otherwise you'll constantly run out of ammo. Do an AK build and you'll see how much it sits unused in your hotbar or inventory. Even at higher levels you have to be constantly resource grinding if it's your main weapon, you can avoid all that with the hunting rifle. That may not be the tradeoff you want but it is a very significant advantage. With machine gun builds you can't even use them reliably until you're weeks into the game and even then only if you're resource grinding.

It's very simple.

Not every player will like every weapon type.

Some say that all melee weapons are trash because they don't even have 10m range. Others love melee.

That does not mean it's broken and the range needs to be increased to 10m so that every player will like it.

Same applies to every type of ranged weapon. That a weapon is not ideal for your play style that does not mean it's broken when you use it in your play style. Pick one that works for you.

Archived