Hunting Rifle

humprey

Personally love the Hunting Rifle situationally. With bandoleer and the right perks you can do a lot with it. Just waiting for them to fix the toggle ADS garbage they got going on and I will use it a ton more.

Your post is not very specific. What is "bad" about it? Seeming the m1903 springfield is also bolt action rifle, what difference or change would you be expecting?

Sure the Hunting Rifle could be better, but it's pretty good as is. If you funnel the zombies and slow them with barbed wire or other traps you can hold off the hordes. Even without AP ammunition I used it for my horde defense weapon all the way to day 39 when I finally found a Marksman rifle. Even now that I have one though I'm not sure if it'll work out as well as the Hunting Rifle, with the lower damage base I'm not sure that it'll put everything down in one shot.

It has a very high damage/bullet output. So its a good choice if ammo is actually scarce.

And it is super fun if you can keep yourself midrange from z's. Something very satisfying about quick headshots with the HR. Another reason I hope they take out that auto-ADS nonsense. Its much more fun controlling when you ADS.

It turns into a pain when you are trying to move around while using the HR instead of standing still the whole time.

AFAIK you can move around while ADS. Only sprint kicks you out.

Yes and it's very well done. That was an alpha 17 annoyment.

I like the rifle now, didn't use it, never, in previous versions. Finding one the first day allows to play long range, it's lethal and very fun. Later, fore more DPS against angry fluorescent people, find the marksman.

AFAIK you can move around while ADS. Only sprint kicks you out.

Ya, ofc you can still move around. But you have to interrupt an animation every time you want to. Which feels very wrong. Tap to toggle, hold to manual ADS was much better. Atleast then if you were run and gunning you werent constantly looking at a weird animation interruption and losing a second that you could be dodging zombies.

If you mean walking while still ADSing? what is the point of that. I will not get away from any zombie with walk.

Personally, I aim, then ADS and quick fire. Auto-locking ADS just completely ruins that and removes the ease of running around while shooting. Atleast bring back the option to manual ADS always.

Go play around in a field with a group of raging zombies with just a hunting rifle for 10 minutes or so. You will see how awkward it is compared to manual ADS. Even more so with a scope, which is a pretty common with a HR (expected?)

I guess on lower difficulties it is one shot, so might not be as bad, still though. Why take away the option to manually aim. To me it seems like a no brainer to let the player choose with such a crucial game mechanic.

If you mean walking while still ADSing? what is the point of that. I will not get away from any zombie with walk.

I A17 you could not run while ADS, either, so no change there.

You could only get "locked" in ADS and then get eaten while trying to sprint out of a tight spot. That was changed. =P

I A17 you could not run while ADS, either, so no change there.

You could only get "locked" in ADS and then get eaten while trying to sprint out of a tight spot. That was changed. =P

Idk about a17, didnt play except to test experimental. Just referring to when we had the option to manually ads, it was tap to toggle or hold to manually aim without getting locked . You picked the least relevant sentence in my response tho.

The way it is right now is once you take a shot while ADSing you are now locked into ADSing for the next shot. Which is what I am whining about.

To be clear I have no desire to run while I ADS, I just dont want to be forced to ADS when I have no need to ADS. I have need to maneuver in between shots without cancelling an unnecessary animation every time, wasting seconds and being awkward.

MM did say he made a ticket about it, he hates the locking-ADS too. So hopefully a fix for it comes for stable. (an option to just use manual I mean, whether it be tap/hold or menu option doesnt matter to me)

I think you could increase the damage on the hunting rifle even higher, making it more useful. I does have big drawbacks later in the game compared to other rifles. More damage would keep it relevant.

I don't think that's needed, later in the game you're meant to replace T2 weapons with T3 weapons.

I don't think that's needed, later in the game you're meant to replace T2 weapons with T3 weapons.

Besides the clip, the marksman is not really better tho. afaik the marksman rifle usually has slightly worse damage than the HR. With the proper perks and mods HR is so good. One shots more stuff on higher difficulty too. Reload every shot is not bad either if your reload is fast.

I am not 100% sure about the damage, but if the HR isnt already better, I dont think it is worse either. Back in the day I would only upgrade to the Marksman (used to be sniper) because of the scope. Mods changed needing to do that.

Any chance TFP change the basic sniper rifle the hunting rifle? since it is the only basic weapon that is bad compared to the double barrel and the ak47. Maybe change it to m1903 springfield?

i think the hunting rifle is perfect!

low ammo high damage and high range!

now i would love it even more if more mods for guns could be shone, like a grip then it would be 15/10

Besides the clip, the marksman is not really better tho. afaik the marksman rifle usually has slightly worse damage than the HR. With the proper perks and mods HR is so good. One shots more stuff on higher difficulty too. Reload every shot is not bad either if your reload is fast.

I am not 100% sure about the damage, but if the HR isnt already better, I dont think it is worse either. Back in the day I would only upgrade to the Marksman (used to be sniper) because of the scope. Mods changed needing to do that.

I think it all depends on your playstyle which would be better. If you can guarantee your shots then the HR is better for the higher damage, but if you have more targets or not 100% sure that you can do the job in one shot than the MR is a better choice. Also now that I'm thinking about it wouldn't the MR be the T2 version of rifles while the HR is the T1? Except for shotguns I don't think there are any T3 guns, I would say the Blunderbuss would be the T1 shotgun, T2 sawed off, and T3 Pump action.

I think it all depends on your playstyle which would be better. If you can guarantee your shots then the HR is better for the higher damage, but if you have more targets or not 100% sure that you can do the job in one shot than the MR is a better choice. Also now that I'm thinking about it wouldn't the MR be the T2 version of rifles while the HR is the T1? Except for shotguns I don't think there are any T3 guns, I would say the Blunderbuss would be the T1 shotgun, T2 sawed off, and T3 Pump action.

50 cal. is the T3 :p

There was a really good modded server I played back in maybe a12 or 14, i forget, Had 50 cal. snipers

They had boss zombie instances that would happen like airdrops and it would announce coords in the chat too, that was good times.

@ Sjustus548

That is the whole point.

Some players just have to trash talk any weapon that isn't very specifically built for their preferred play style. ;)

If you can offset the dakkadakka with skill and tactics, you can use the HR to at least the same effect as a MR.

Hunting rifle is my favorite weapon in the game. I have a lot of trouble lining up headshots with iron sights without a scope with my low graphics settings. Hunting rifle means I often only need to hit the zombie ANYWHERE while sneaking to kill.

EDIT: Replied to an old tab again, but I'll leave it as is .. :)

You guys are talking different parts of the shooting cycle..

ADS > shift to sprint works always, regardless of manual or toggled ADS (Gazz's point)

"Manual press to hold ADS" > release right mouse to stop ADS, works, if you're not reloading.

If you are reloading, AFTER reload, you're put back in ADS, in the toggled version of it.

Since the hunting rifle still auto-reloads after every shot, every manual ADS-shot with it puts you into a locked ADS state. Same with crossbow. Not really game breaking, but cumbersome and annoying.

Archived