Base destroyed while out doing quests

bjurney

My wife and I were playing tonight and had something new happen to us that I am not sure what to make of it. We had a couple of forges, chem stations and workstations doing their things and we decided to leave for the day to do some quests. We were a good 2 km from our base the entire time but when we came back, the door had been torn down and one of the workbenches and contents had been destroyed. Several other items were damaged as well. With all the hours we have out into the game, we have never seen anything like this happen. Is this something new with A18, a big or feature? We also started playing on a dedicated server recently (it’s just me and her on a private server), so do zombies behave differently on a server then they would if the game was being hosted locally? I assume from all the heat being generated, a screamer spawned and started causing this, but I wouldn’t think activity would happen when there isn’t a player close enough to that chunk.

Well, this is something that should be pretty much impossible to happen on non multiplayer server since if you're far away, chunk with your base shouldn't even be loaded.

So its something that probably happened when you were still around the base.

Forges, workbenches etc all generate heat and Zs do want to smash them.

Maybe there was a zombie around before we left and managed to do enough damage before we got far enough away for it to not have that chunk loaded in. Guess i will have a turret set up in case it happens again, but it was certainly strange, just fortunate there wasn’t more damage done.

Maybe there was a zombie around before we left and managed to do enough damage before we got far enough away for it to not have that chunk loaded in. Guess i will have a turret set up in case it happens again, but it was certainly strange, just fortunate there wasn’t more damage done.

It's probably something like that. In A16 it happened to me that I left my base and when I came back there were lots of corpses on the ground. My turret had killed a wandering horde in my absence. They probably spawned just before I left.

Did you have beds down? We have had a problem where the LCB's do not prevent zombie spawn, only beds do. So if we happen to plop our beds down somewhere else for a while near a POI then when we come back we sometimes have zeds just wandering around our base inside the fenced/spiked perimeter.

Both our beds were down, as was the lcb, they were fine though. I don’t think it was zombies spawning in our base as it’s not a POI, just a hole dug into the side of a hill. I guess I will be looking for a way to build a turret or just turn off everything before we head out again.

Ok thats weird then. I remember a few versions ago that zeds wouldn't spawn anywhere that had player placed torches shining light on it but would spawn in a player dug tunnel that was completely dark. But doubt that has anything to do with it by this version.

No idea man, especially since it seems the zed wasn't even there when you got back. Maybe you got your workstations at walmart? Like I said, yea thats a weird one.

I looked through the server log files to see if there was anything that may help solve the mystery. There was a screamer that spawned around our base that didn't die for almost 50 minutes, she apparently died on her own. She was spawned at (21.5, 64.7, 3003.5) which is right near our base. I don't know our precise location at the time, but within 40 seconds of that happening, we were at (-744.9, -0.8, 1963.5) doing a quest. I went into the world and teleported to these locations and placed a quick way point between them and they are 1 KM apart. I guess if this is a new thing, its just something we need to account for while playing. Its possible that something is just whacked out, we have been playing the same save since A18 came out so it could be something related to that.

I've had this happen before, a buncha times. A screamer will spawn and it can get overlooked. If you leave the area and otherwise never notice it, the game keeps it on play while you are out doing other things. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I don't think they should remove that feature either. Accidents should happen. Safety should be an illusion.

Is it possible that chunks (with workstations or LCBs) remain loaded/active for a while after leaving? Sometimes my base, a converted POI, will actually show the stuff that I built when it's technically in "distant terrain" territory and should only show the standard distant POI model.

I'm fairly sure it's only after just coming from that chunk, not when I've been away for a while and returning to it. In that case my own constructions show up as the chunk enters draw distance.

It's possible that the screamer shenanigans happened while you were traveling to your quest location. Depending on your mode of transport, you can probably clear that 1km distance in 40 seconds or so, so the chunk could've still been in memory at that point.

We were traveling by bicycle mostly and a little by foot from what I remember. I suppose it’s not a huge deal and the more I think about it, the more I like it as a feature even if it’s not an intended design. I have done hatches before with a tunnel going to the base, may do it again if it becomes an issue. Its just an odd occurrence I had never encountered before and was a little unsettling coming back after a day of looting and quests to have things destroyed. Part of what makes the game fun!

We were traveling by bicycle mostly and a little by foot from what I remember. I suppose it’s not a huge deal and the more I think about it, the more I like it as a feature even if it’s not an intended design. I have done hatches before with a tunnel going to the base, may do it again if it becomes an issue. Its just an odd occurrence I had never encountered before and was a little unsettling coming back after a day of looting and quests to have things destroyed. Part of what makes the game fun!

I agree with you actually. Worrying about your base whilst out on excursions would add a bit of excitement.

But... But... It's called PVP servers ! ;)

Ahha true. I just feel PVP in 7 days is kind of too much work lol. Maybe I'll try it again once I build a new computer, but personally if I want PVP like such I'll just load up Rust. Way too many ways to hide up with a high quality sniper rifle with sniper perks and 1-shot someone from 5 KM away and lose way too much work lol.

And raiding in PVP is like rolling around in broken glass naked :D

Looks like chunk did not unload when players left the area.

And having defences on empty space should be thing in this game.

Also hordes should home in area where player has mostly spent time, like AI is figuring out where you base is. And if you try any lame tactic to build horde fight base, or avoid them by just driving around horde night. They would go and level your base, as for revenge not reaching the player.

Archived