Changing the experience_multiplier in progression.xml on an existing save

Noobz

Instead of linearly changing the xp multiplier on my server, I want to adjust the logarithmic curve of exp needed. My concern is what effect this will have on my existing game and the user profiles associated to it. If I had a level 50 character and lower the experience_multiplier from 1.05 to 1.03, am I going to gain a bunch of levels out of nowhere? That could cause some balance issues with horde nights lol! Will it cause other issues, both mechanically in-game or technically out-of-game? (I'll be backing up my server either way, but I didn't know the ramifications to user profiles).

I understand the designer's desire for slower leveling with the experimental build's adjusted player power levels (he stated level 40 feeling very strong), but I know my players and I are struggling a little bit with the desire for progression and not really feeling it. I mean, as a Miner 69er (and Motherlode), I'm definitely the least level-starved, but grinding resource nodes all day e'r' day gets old.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "am I going to gain a bunch of levels out of nowhere? That could cause some balance issues with horde nights lol!" Suddenly every zombie is irradiated, yikes! I don't think it will be that bad, but it's definitely a concern, and part of the reason I'm asking. So do you know if it does shoot us up in levels immediately, or does it just change the required experience curve from that point on?

it is as Aldranon explained... if a player alters the xp to gain faster levels... you will outgrow your armor and weapons and meet more baddies that you arent ready for... but its the players choices to skate on thin ice. :)

various reports and threads will collaborate this.

Instead of linearly changing the xp multiplier on my server, I want to adjust the logarithmic curve of exp needed. My concern is what effect this will have on my existing game and the user profiles associated to it. If I had a level 50 character and lower the experience_multiplier from 1.05 to 1.03, am I going to gain a bunch of levels out of nowhere? That could cause some balance issues with horde nights lol! Will it cause other issues, both mechanically in-game or technically out-of-game? (I'll be backing up my server either way, but I didn't know the ramifications to user profiles).

I understand the designer's desire for slower leveling with the experimental build's adjusted player power levels (he stated level 40 feeling very strong), but I know my players and I are struggling a little bit with the desire for progression and not really feeling it. I mean, as a Miner 69er (and Motherlode), I'm definitely the least level-starved, but grinding resource nodes all day e'r' day gets old.

You're better off changing the number of skill points per level. That way you gain progression with the same leveling speed.

You're better off changing the number of skill points per level. That way you gain progression with the same leveling speed.

That's an interesting alternative. I assume that's in the progression.xml too? If I set it to "2", am I going to log in and have my level worth of skill points to spend? Can I set it to fractions to get basically an extra point every 3, 5, or 10 levels, per se?

That's an interesting alternative. I assume that's in the progression.xml too? If I set it to "2", am I going to log in and have my level worth of skill points to spend? Can I set it to fractions to get basically an extra point every 3, 5, or 10 levels, per se?

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe you will not retroactively gain skill points. You'll only get the new value on new levels. I very much doubt you can use fractions, but certainly worth a try.

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe you will not retroactively gain skill points. You'll only get the new value on new levels. I very much doubt you can use fractions, but certainly worth a try.

Correct, it's not retroactive.

I doubt fractional points would work either, though I have to admit, I've not ever actually tried that.

unfortunately, the skillpoints per level needs to be an integer....so you're limited to 0%, normal, 200%, 300%, etc....

When I was messing around in A17, I tried 2 skillpoints per level, and it was absurdly too much. I was able to effortlessly do everything I wanted, it seemed. I'd love to be able to do 1.2 to 1.4 skillpoints per level (and extra 1 or 2 every 5 levels)

Correct, it's not retroactive.

I doubt fractional points would work either, though I have to admit, I've not ever actually tried that.

I have not tried for A18 but in A17 you could use a skill point modifier to create a skill point growth curve.

I haven't done much in the modding for A18 yet, but skill points and exp growth are on my todo list :)

Archived