Anyone else think this version is a big pile of stinking Krap?

Retiredbart

It’s you in those other games as well but you have zero freedom to leave. There are a few where you can leave and they still attack the base and you are just one of the defenders but those are the exceptions.

Perhaps but there are games where you also have to defend an end point or flag or something as well. Guess it's just me but those are what first come to my mind thinking TD, like the old Warcraft customer TD maps.

I have never and never will consider this a tower defense game or even in the same family of tower defense games. I am a huge fan of tower defense games and this is not a tower defense game by any means. Now if my memory serves me right, and this is based on what I have seen and played in my life, "Starcraft" and those modded tower defense maps were the first ones really to invent the tower defense game, then you seen the creation of real tower defense games and they all came after the modders invented tower defense for starcraft. :/

Yeah yeah I get that tower defense is a very very broad definition but, I don't care how the world views it. If you really want to stick on tower defense on this game thats fine because really......it doesnt matter. in fact Space Invaders was techneically the very first tower defense game but i think we all would agree that is not one, even though it is.... i dunno I'm rammbling lol

EDIT: actually "Rampart" just came to my mind....I think that was made before starcraft... not sure... if Rampart was made before starcraft then i would say that game is the very first true tower defense game

I’ve decided that it is like one of those stereoscopic 3D posters. Some people just can’t see it no matter how long they stare at it...

I wouldn't go that far. I think the few or maybe many i dunno, but lets stick with the few of us who do not consider this a tower defense game is because we have a more strict and classical definition of what a tower defense game is. Does 7 Days to Die have tower defense type elements, technically it does which is why I do not mind this game slapping on tower defense as part of its description.

What are the 5 basic elements that make a tower defense game is as follow (in my opinion)

"1. A tower defense game involves enemies crossing from one side of the battlefield to another.

2. If they make it to their destination, that's not a good thing. In most cases, the player loses lives, health, or that kind of thing. Losing all one's lives/health results in a Game Over.

3. In order to prevent them from reaching their destination, the player is able to create "towers." These towers are not always actually towers, but may be something else, like monkeys (Bloons TD 4), automated gun platforms like machine guns (Warzone), or troops with shotguns and such (Frontline). Generally these so-called "towers" are automated and keep shooting at the enemy.

4. There is generally a high scores option.

5. There is usually a difficulty option, as well (higher difficulties mean more enemies, a less circuitous path for the enemies, etc)." -Charles Wetzel

Am I blind because I say I do not consider this a TDG? no not by any means. I can see and fully understand why this would be considered to have tower defense elements, because it does. But in my own opinion and belief this is by no means a tower defense game becaue to me. it is or is not a tower defense game, there is no mixxing at all. its one or the other. that is why i disagree about calling any part of this game a tower defense.

Yeah yeah I get that tower defense is a very very broad definition

Wouldn't say it's that broad. It just means defending something from pathing enemies, using various tools (like towers, turrets or traps traditionally).

Whether it's Rampart on DOS, or much later Starcraft/Warcraft custom maps, with a hero and extra gimmicks or without, they still fall into that category.

I’ve decided that it is like one of those stereoscopic 3D posters. Some people just can’t see it no matter how long they stare at it...

It seems some people can't differentiate between a game having some elements from another genre and the game strictly belonging to that genre.

Wouldn't say it's that broad. It just means defending something from pathing enemies, using various tools (like towers, turrets or traps traditionally).

Thats what I meant by a broad definition. The very basic definition of a tower defense is exactly as u said. many many games could claim to be tower defense games by that definition but clearly are not. In the classical sense, this is not a tower defense game or should ever be considered in the same family as tdg. As I said to Roland already though, there is no doubt this game has many TD elements in it and anyone who cannot see that do not understand what a tower defense game is.

EDIT:

Are people wrong that claim this game has tower defense elements? No

are people wrong for saying this is by no means a tower defense game? No

I think it boils down to what the player defines as a tower defense game since the definition is so broad.

Who has made the claim that it is a tower defense game? All anyone has said from the beginning is that seven days to die has elements of tower defense. The only person who comes close is ripclaw who wants it to be called a tower defense game because he wants all defenses to be automated and doesn’t want the player to have to participate in the defense of the base. But it’s not a tower defense game therefore we do actively participate on horde and the game will never strictly conform to the conventions of a pure tower defense game.

Who has made the claim that it is a tower defense game? All anyone has said from the beginning is that seven days to die has elements of tower defense. The only person who comes close is ripclaw who wants it to be called a tower defense game because he wants all defenses to be automated and doesn’t want the player to have to participate in the defense of the base. But it’s not a tower defense game therefore we do actively participate on horde and the game will never strictly conform to the conventions of a pure tower defense game.

Im guessing this is directed at me. Who claimed that anyone claimed this is a tower defense game? You seem really defensive about all this. I admit I did not catch up on everything said. I read this page and the last and the impression I got was some think this is a tower defense while others claim its not and some claimed it has some elements of tower defense.

I think you and I are on the same page regarding how this game can be defined. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you and I see this the same way. its not a tower defense game but has many elements of one but it is by no means a pure tower defense game. :/

not defensive....incredulous. :)

I think you and I are on the same page regarding how this game can be defined. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you and I see this the same way. its not a tower defense game but has many elements of one but it is by no means a pure tower defense game. :/

yep.

But the thing is how these TD elements are implemented...

Hope MM didn't change his mind about at least making vehicles risky.

yeah i wonder what does he mean by vehicles maintenance

do we have to change the Car battery? Radiator??? tires?? Engine??? OIL???, Frame???????? SEATS????? lights????

cuz if so

HELL YEAH!!!

I wouldn't go that far. I think the few or maybe many i dunno, but lets stick with the few of us who do not consider this a tower defense game is because we have a more strict and classical definition of what a tower defense game is. Does 7 Days to Die have tower defense type elements, technically it does which is why I do not mind this game slapping on tower defense as part of its description.

What are the 5 basic elements that make a tower defense game is as follow (in my opinion)

"1. A tower defense game involves enemies crossing from one side of the battlefield to another.

Laz: horde night to player

2. If they make it to their destination, that's not a good thing. In most cases, the player loses lives, health, or that kind of thing. Losing all one's lives/health results in a Game Over.

Laz: Zombies kill you during Horde Night

3. In order to prevent them from reaching their destination, the player is able to create "towers." These towers are not always actually towers, but may be something else, like monkeys (Bloons TD 4), automated gun platforms like machine guns (Warzone), or troops with shotguns and such (Frontline). Generally these so-called "towers" are automated and keep shooting at the enemy.

Laz: 7d2d Towers are all the traps and base design.

4. There is generally a high scores option.

Laz: Days alive, total zombie kills are all "high scores" in 7d2d.

5. There is usually a difficulty option, as well (higher difficulties mean more enemies, a less circuitous path for the enemies, etc)." -Charles Wetzel

Laz: Many settings to customize horde nights...

Am I blind because I say I do not consider this a TDG? no not by any means. I can see and fully understand why this would be considered to have tower defense elements, because it does. But in my own opinion and belief this is by no means a tower defense game becaue to me. it is or is not a tower defense game, there is no mixxing at all. its one or the other. that is why i disagree about calling any part of this game a tower defense.

It certainly is subjective. See my edits above...😂

Keep in mind as developers TFPs can innovate the definition to their vision. That is how genres evolve/change.

Some things. Yes ! I agree, Way to many Scamatics to read, The Game has turned into a grind fest, and some things just don't make since. Example: 5 meat for 1 steak.... 5 veggies for 1 seed. I really liked the garden plot idea, but it was not really nessecary. (please at least bring back the ability to scavange the garden plots found on the map) Because, rotten meat take forever to collect. I play on a public server and meat is kind of hard to come by, as animals are a minority in this game and then to have the 5 to 1 ratio. it's just crazy. also while on the subject of meat. The squrts and food poisoning is to much, the % is to high. when all you have to eat is grilled meat, (unless you spend all you in master chef). it is much more than 2% or 4% chance like it says. I have spent days fighting to stay alive due to hunger and sickness and not fun! at all. I to love This Game and like you, I love some older version like 16, I don't like how you can make Zombies follow a certain path, that is unless you step off the pathing block then they leave the path and head straight for your support beams, which is just wrong zombies are flesh eating crazed mindless dead people, their path should be to get to you at all costs like in A16. Regarding the textures the only thing I am really sad about is the desert... yes it looks more real but the color of the desert in A17 was incredibly beautiful that orangey color was just awesome.... one more thing... MORE BIOMES PLEASE!!!! Somewhere else to build than the forest and still live in early stages of the game, as most server only let you have 1 LCB. the forest biome fills up so quickly, or loose some of the constant erie sounds found in the other biomes. Example, if you place a LCB (land claim block) it disappears of something like that. I can say the the replay of this game is not as good as it was. like I said too grindy now Server wipe to often witt all the updates, then you loose all your hard work. I know I will get some arguements to the contrary but I have the right to my opinion too. I am a major fan of this game, have been since the beginning.

Tower defense (TD) is a subgenre of strategy video game where the goal is to defend a player's territories or possessions by obstructing the enemy attackers, usually achieved by placing defensive structures on or along their path of attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_defense

If you can't see this is 7 Days with laying out traps and creating kill pits/paths/whatever to defend your base, then I have no clue what you're thinking of.

- - - Updated - - -

TFP has never claimed it's a full tower defense game, just that it has aspects that fits that genre.

NO. They finally forced mining onto players who absolutely did not want to go mining. Ever.

Pretty much ruins the game for me. I tried really hard to come to terms with surface boulders no longer giving Ores and Nitrate, but I just can't. It has reduced my will to play the game to more or less zero. Mining, the way you need to do it now in A18 is BORING AS ALL HELL compared to surface boulder mining in all previous alphas. Since I am our group's miner, I need to mine for about 3 days in every 7 to keep the rest in gunpowder, and the simple fact is that I can no longer stand doing this in A18 as it is an uneventful borefest.

You don't have raw deposits that appear on the surface? We do in our games. Weird. Maybe a RWG vs Navazgane thing?

With the proper perqs, we don't need to make much ammo until late game. Then, we can generally craft it in bulk. Queue up on a couple of work benches and walk away. TONS of ammo. Almost too much ammo is present, frankly. We find mining resources go a LONG way.

There are only three of us in a game, however. How many are you mining for? If there are a bunch, then maybe they need to pitch in a bit with your efforts.

I have never and never will consider this a tower defense game or even in the same family of tower defense games. I am a huge fan of tower defense games and this is not a tower defense game by any means. Now if my memory serves me right, and this is based on what I have seen and played in my life, "Starcraft" and those modded tower defense maps were the first ones really to invent the tower defense game, then you seen the creation of real tower defense games and they all came after the modders invented tower defense for starcraft. :/

Yeah yeah I get that tower defense is a very very broad definition but, I don't care how the world views it. If you really want to stick on tower defense on this game thats fine because really......it doesnt matter. in fact Space Invaders was techneically the very first tower defense game but i think we all would agree that is not one, even though it is.... i dunno I'm rammbling lol

EDIT: actually "Rampart" just came to my mind....I think that was made before starcraft... not sure... if Rampart was made before starcraft then i would say that game is the very first true tower defense game

Exactly - at least one guy here is honest and isn’t desperate to make his square point fit through a round hole

Calling 7d2d a Tower Defense game is dumber than rocks. Yes I do see it in their game description, but it’s a reach.

Arguing about it is even more dumb. There’s very scant comparisons.....very scant, to a Tower Defense game and if you polled all gamers you’d see this to be true

Obvious trolling. Move along and don't feed. Thank you --Roland

Archived