Anyone else think this version is a big pile of stinking Krap?

Retiredbart

Oo, good point. Default days for me, 60 mins if I'm not mistaken.

Its really hard to compare though with all the sliders/ options we have too.

You can go up to 300% normal xp gains, you can play with a team and share all the xp. You can turn up the zombies to where they take twice as long to kill and are harder to handle the first couple days. You can make them run all day and night and 3 shot you. We really dont know any of that for a particular player.

Unless everyone is playing solo, default settings, its hard to compare.

Past day 21 with a gs of 30? How...? How do you manage that?

I had to log in to my current game to check:

Day 16 21:00, lvl 29, gs 66.. playstyle: loot and quest, so half the time spent on foot between nowhere and backwater. Some night time mining and a few sneaky looting nights. Mostly just messing about, (because experimental,) not really doing anything, ANYthing, effectively. Nomad, no deaths (didn't challenge a boar into a fist fight at level 1 this time around :) )

I have absolutely not rushed anything, but I don't log in to watch a virtual sunset either.

(Without too much ill intent, just to mess about a bit in kind.. ;)

Also, no, not the guy you were replying to, you just made me recheck my stats so I had to say something :) )

I bumped up difficulty to warrior plus I took my time since this is a new alpha with a lot of unknowns. On day 7 I think I just hit level 6-8. So yeah I took it very slow to go exploring/loot a lot. My main focus at first was food I so specced mainly to farm and harvest more animal drops.

Since this was warrior difficulty it'd take more hits to kill a zombie so maybe that's why I leveled so slowly. Found some decent armor early on as well. I just finished day 133. Right now I'm at GS 235, level 75. Killed 168 zombies on blood moon 133. Used only around 200 7.92mm this time.

The zombies were consistently grouping up at this one spot so I dropped molotovs on 5-7 of them at time and finished them off with my hunter's rifle - yes my hunter's rifle does over 110 damage per shot. I have the sniper skill at level 4 which gives up to 40% extra damage for consecutive kills. The ones that escaped ran into my shotgun turrets, iron spikes, junk turret and blade traps combination. Didn't need to use any grenades at all. Only lost one blade trap and this bloodmoon was the best (minimal) ammo usage at this high level GS for me yet.

Oh I play on 40 minute days on SP.

On major releases like new alphas I take it nice and slow and try to learn the game. Once it reaches stable I'll try harder (eg. insane) settings.

Soo, as Maynard pointed out, lotsa sliders.. 40 min days are a whole third shorter than default, that alone puts your "day 21" down to "day 14". I haven't even played a warrior game yet this patch - it mostly just exacerbates the issues with the game, making all those non-existing zombie head hitboxes that much more significant.

No idea what Ghostlight's settings are, but lets assume he just does the opposite, 2 hour days.. his "Day 21, Gs 100" would essentially be "Day 42, GS 100" against defaults, and something like "Day 63, Gs 100" against your 40 mins. Which would actually be pretty much in line with yours.. so, are you rushing as well? :)

Uh SP day 21 and you're ALREADY at GS 100?!! Geez I see the problem already! At day 21 I was probably GS early 20s to early 30s.

Was on Warrior. Also - and for the last time - there was no problem in SP. The day 21 horde on GS 100 was absolutely fine.

You guys are the type to RUSH and no wonder you got demolished at day 21 in MP...No more sympathy from me here.

We did not rush. I wouldn't even know how to rush - we did what we always do.

I said this so many times. MP is different than solo. You should NOT be using solo tactics in MP. You should also not be using older version tactics/strategys in A18.

I completely disagree. A14, A15, A16, A17, A18. Same tactics always. Always work. SP or MP Base design is genius.

And once more with feeling....our main base design is still kicking ass in A18. It was a temp base we lost; a re-enforced concrete box with 3 rows of Iron spikes all round. I am just complaining about the balance of SP and MP, as I have witnessed first hand in terms of the horde size and damage done to said concrete box, it is out of whack.

Plus the boring mining.

- - - Updated - - -

People should refer to hours in game instead of days. day 21 for someone playing default hours is nothing compared to people with 2 hour days.

That's why we typically talk in gamestage. Nothing else really matters tbh.

Right now I'm at GS 235, level 75. Killed 168 zombies on blood moon 133. Used only around 200 7.92mm this time.

OK now we may get somewhere. Our combined MP GS was 320 on day 21. Solo, you fought a GS 235 on day 133. See the problem?

Imagine this: If I was level 75 and had GS 235 and joined your game that night, we'd have fought a horde of gamestage 750.

Also finally, there is another discrepancy that I cannot explain. You say your GS 235 horde was 168 zombies and you shot 200 rounds. If so then that horde was strangely small compared to what we got on day 21 (GS 320). We fired 2000 rounds as well as throwing many Grenades and Molotovs. Even then a great deal of the zombies died to spikes not ammo. Also, how did you manage to count the zombies?

Soo, as Maynard pointed out, lotsa sliders.. 40 min days are a whole third shorter than default, that alone puts your "day 21" down to "day 14". I haven't even played a warrior game yet this patch - it mostly just exacerbates the issues with the game, making all those non-existing zombie head hitboxes that much more significant.

No idea what Ghostlight's settings are, but lets assume he just does the opposite, 2 hour days.. his "Day 21, Gs 100" would essentially be "Day 42, GS 100" against defaults, and something like "Day 63, Gs 100" against your 40 mins. Which would actually be pretty much in line with yours.. so, are you rushing as well? :)

Actually I checked my settings and it was actually 60 minute days. My mistake. Also your calculations are wrong. You forgot to include deaths which is part of the GS calculator. I died like 3-4 times within the 21 days.

Not wrong, you just didn't provide the info.. Soo, dying a lot is taking it easy, and someone not dying a lot is rushing, gotcha. ;)

My point was, your appalled claim of Ghostlight "rushing it" seemed a bit over-reactive, and I was just poking fun at it :)

IF we're going to overanalyze this nonsense, Ghostlight talked about 90min days in another thread, so the ratio there would be 1.5.

You lost quite a few GS from the deaths (no idea how many, can't remember the formula off the top of my head nor do I really care)

You took some "XP damage" from the deaths (maybe not, depending on WHEN you died etc) lowering your level and thus GS

Spent half a day combined running for backbags, losing even more GS-progress.

So, while your GS is low, it's not surprising in the least, and Ghostlight seems to be on a pretty normal trajectory for a no deaths game? So, no news anywhere?

Not wrong, you just didn't provide the info.. Soo, dying a lot is taking it easy, and someone not dying a lot is rushing, gotcha. ;)

My point was, your appalled claim of Ghostlight "rushing it" seemed a bit over-reactive, and I was just poking fun at it :)

IF we're going to overanalyze this nonsense, Ghostlight talked about 90min days in another thread, so the ratio there would be 1.5.

You lost quite a few GS from the deaths (no idea how many, can't remember the formula off the top of my head nor do I really care)

You took some "XP damage" from the deaths (maybe not, depending on WHEN you died etc) lowering your level and thus GS

Spent half a day combined running for backbags, losing even more GS-progress.

So, while your GS is low, it's not surprising in the least, and Ghostlight seems to be on a pretty normal trajectory for a no deaths game? So, no news anywhere?

Wrong conclusion there about not dying is rushing. I could have died 3 times within the first day or each time right before the bloodmoons thus lowering the GS. I took my time exploring/looting and picking my fights. Found a lot of decent gear/mods/books (perks) so I handle the zombies easier.

Longer days means more looting/exploring but also means you can level faster. I believe that level is also part of the GS calculation so GS 100 at day 21 seems pretty high. If they rushed in SP they will most likely rush in co-op MP when there's more people involved.

Ghostlight doesn't seem to understand that MP is a whole different story. It should not even be close to SP difficulty.

Uh SP day 21 and you're ALREADY at GS 100?!! Geez I see the problem already! At day 21 I was probably GS early 20s to early 30s.

<snip>

You guys are the type to RUSH and no wonder you got demolished at day 21 in MP...No more sympathy from me here.

<snip>

Looks like you don't want to change your ways nor do you want to accept other people's advice so no more point talking to you...

<snip>

This is where I started replying, just to turn the tables on that rushing claim. It's YOUR claim, made without knowing anything but a day number and a GS.

I've done my part, the rest has been mildly entertaining, but this is turning into one of those weird off-the-rails-rants forum discussions end up in..

As for Ghostlight's actual issue, I think they already toned down MP scaling a bit, so I think we're all good for now... thanks for the spin, see you in the next thread :)

This is where I started replying, just to turn the tables on that rushing claim. It's YOUR claim, made without knowing anything but a day number and a GS.

I've done my part, the rest has been mildly entertaining, but this is turning into one of those weird off-the-rails-rants forum discussions end up in..

As for Ghostlight's actual issue, I think they already toned down MP scaling a bit, so I think we're all good for now... thanks for the spin, see you in the next thread :)

Yeah I just saw that they play with 90 minute days so perhaps I jumped to conclusions myself :p. Seemed like a rush at first glance but you're right, need to get all information first. Also, there are too many variables involved. For example I play on 60 minute days but in early game I went around looking for farm plots from POIs to dig up (before they patched it). Early deaths were from combination of getting infection (losing stamina) and animal attacks.

Haha yep see ya next time :).

GS = (level + days alive) x difficulty multiplier

Also remember I am playing co-op so I leech exp off all zombie kills in the area.

Ghostlight doesn't seem to understand that MP is a whole different story. It should not even be close to SP difficulty.

I never said it should be the same so please just stop that crap. I simply said it should not be as much harder as it is.

Two players co-op should be roughly twice as hard as 1 player solo imo. It is in fact 3.2 times as hard (assuming GS scales horde difficulty linearly, I have no idea if that is the case). In simpler terms....

When I was GS 100, solo, day 21 horde took 200 rounds from a tier 2 Pistol to defeat. Base untouched, lost a few spikes.

When I was GS 100, but co-op with ONE ally, day 21 horde took 2000 rounds from a tier 6 AK and a tier 6 Pump. Base (which was identical to solo) breached. 90% of my spikes destroyed

Who thinks that sounds right?

And again to stress this is only horde night I am talking about. There are so few world and POI zombies now that neither GS nor difficulty matters a damn outside horde night.

And for the record, in every single alpha previous to this one, MP was considerably easier than solo.

• 3 weeks later...

A18 is the best A of all! And you can mod the parts you find les attractive. I'm working on a OSRS style perk system for those who loves grinding, but I find the current perk system interesting and frustrating at the same time. My perks are usually all over the place.

BTW did they fix the smell system? I believe it was disabled in A16 and was supposed to be back in A17, but I never saw it. I really want all those little background systems.

A18 turned this into a FPS. From day one. That sucks. I´d rather have simple but effective traps than a M60. Things like a treelog hanging on ropes that swings down when triggered. Or spike walls that jump up if you step on them. You know more like an apocalypse than a freaking FPS game that has ammo everywhere.

to fuel the fires

from the xml

This is how the gamestage of a party is calculated:

The gamestage of all (up to) 6 players is calculated.

The players are sorted by gamestage and only the 5 highest numbers go into the calculation.

The highest GS number is multiplied by "startingWeight".

This then loops down the list and "startingWeight" is reduced by "diminishingReturns" every time.

Example:

Players with GS 120, 30, 60, 91, 5, 80.

startingWeight= 1.7, diminishingReturns=0.22

So we get

120 * 1.70 = 204

91 * 1.48 = 134

80 * 1.26 = 100

60 * 1.04 = 62

30 * 0.82 = 24

5 (is ignored)

... or a total party GS of 524

I have 2.6k hours in and my playing has slowed considerably, but not for the same reasons as the OP. I became disinterested with all the very very poor optimization on multiplayer. I will ONLY play multiplayer EVER. The server size has had to be reduced CONSIDERABLY this alpha, and lag has gotten MUCH worse to the point of being nearly unplayable with any kind of server population over 30. When a company is developing a game, I expect optimization to improve, not get worse. I guess the TFP dedication to the single player game just got real, to the detriment of all other playstyles...all MP servers and especially to PvP.

Why this version "sucks". It is because this game lost its survival aspect. It is no longer about setting up a base in an iron node, find leather to craft a forge, find some very rare seeds ,craft a hoe and plant a farm while eating scraps of food and protecting your base. In A16 you usually had to either hunt a lot of animals or turn into cannibalism until the farm would give you crops. Of course turning into cannibalism would also mean having too few hit points and weakened you dramatically . The firearms were very rare, bullets were spare and you'd have to survive until mid-game with melee and bow weapons. Feathers were also very rare but at least the damage of the bow and its ranged headshot capability made it worth it even end game. Explosive arrows were fearsome even in A16.

With A17 half of the above was gone. Level gated forges, zombies that have path finding algorithmic sentience and everything from melee weapons to base building nerfed because why not. I got bored really fast in A17 but at least I could still level up and progress the game stage fast. A17 was somewhat salvageable for about 100 hours.

A18 arrives and it's turning into a mess. This version focuses solely on looting and not about preparation and base building as you can find almost ANYTHING from looting :

Have high enough looting perk and you find tones of food. No longer do you have to hunt, farm and scrap leftovers but you find food everywhere. No longer do you have to hold your base, protect your underground farms from zombies but just find canned food in perfect quality. Farms are no longer viable as you never have to worry about food and you'll eventually find schematics for crafting canned food out of ...corpses...

And the list of unrealistic things just grows:

Boiled food is poisoned but canned foods are perfect quality.

You somehow find endless amounts of ammo. In a zombie apocalypse. Which ravaged the world for decades.

Somehow you get to have a nuclear powered sentient turret that spits bullets made out of iron with your bare hands.

You are both a great blacksmith and a great warrior.

A knifed weapon and an axe are less efficient than a club.

Melee weapons have equal or less range than zombie hands.

You learn to craft items with perks but require the schematics to build them.

Point black headshots can't instantly kill zombies.

Zombies can somehow explode and damage items behind concrete walls and steel walls.

Somehow a bucket of water produces infinite water and is more efficient at stopping zombies than barbed wire.

Get tones of items that help you build an entire base. It's no longer about finding those few leather parts

Zombies , with almost perfect clothing, have a 2% of spawning an "loot bag" upon death.

Zombies are no longer harvestable but just poof out of existence. In previous versions you'd have to clear the corpses to build new traps which by itself was a challenge as only axes could clear out corpses and only from a close distance.

Structures can literally reconstruct themselves with the use of quests and are the main source of rare ingredients.

Those rare ingredients are also no longer craftable. Can you craft ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS? Sure. Can you craft literal ROCKETS? How about a 4x4 vehicle? But GOD FORBID if you try to craft mechanical parts and springs. Those things are just too tech savvy for the average joe to comprehend.

The reason the game now looks so unrealistic and imbalanced is this: The developers don't even know how to play their own game. You can see it from the total lack of melee or bow weapons, the horribly misplaced traps, the constant use of firearms and the lack of base complexity.

So when you say the game sucks you are right. It's somewhat salvageable because kids like shooting stuff. And this version disregards melee and bow weapons . And this is apparent from the fact you can bulk craft ammo for a cheaper price.. assuming you find the right schematics. It's all about guns and schematics now.

This game should probably have new tags: Zombie,crafting,looting,schematic reading simulator. And I'm not even sure about the zombie thing. In all the games I have ever played zombies die to headshots.

Why this version "sucks". It is because this game lost its survival aspect. It is no longer about setting up a base in an iron node, find leather to craft a forge, find some very rare seeds ,craft a hoe and plant a farm while eating scraps of food and protecting your base. In A16 you usually had to either hunt a lot of animals or turn into cannibalism until the farm would give you crops. Of course turning into cannibalism would also mean having too few hit points and weakened you dramatically . The firearms were very rare, bullets were spare and you'd have to survive until mid-game with melee and bow weapons. Feathers were also very rare but at least the damage of the bow and its ranged headshot capability made it worth it even end game. Explosive arrows were fearsome even in A16.

With A17 half of the above was gone. Level gated forges, zombies that have path finding algorithmic sentience and everything from melee weapons to base building nerfed because why not. I got bored really fast in A17 but at least I could still level up and progress the game stage fast. A17 was somewhat salvageable for about 100 hours.

A18 arrives and it's turning into a mess. This version focuses solely on looting and not about preparation and base building as you can find almost ANYTHING from looting :

Have high enough looting perk and you find tones of food. No longer do you have to hunt, farm and scrap leftovers but you find food everywhere. No longer do you have to hold your base, protect your underground farms from zombies but just find canned food in perfect quality. Farms are no longer viable as you never have to worry about food and you'll eventually find schematics for crafting canned food out of ...corpses...

You somehow find endless amounts of ammo. In a zombie apocalypse. Which ravaged the world for decades.

Somehow you get to have a nuclear powered sentient turret that spits bullets made out of iron with your bare hands.

Zombies can somehow explode and damage items behind concrete walls and steel walls.

Somehow a bucket of water produces infinite water and is more efficient at stopping zombies than barbed wire.

Get tones of items that help you build an entire base. It's no longer about finding those few leather parts

Zombies , with almost perfect clothing, have a 2% of spawning an "loot bag" upon death.

Zombies are no longer harvestable but just poof out of existence. In previous versions you'd have to clear the corpses to build new traps which by itself was a challenge as only axes could clear out corpses and only from a close distance.

Structures can literally reconstruct themselves with the use of quests and are the main source of rare ingredients.

Those rare ingredients are also no longer craftable. Can you craft ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS? Sure. Can you craft literal ROCKETS? How about a 4x4 vehicle? But GOD FORBID if you try to craft mechanical parts and springs. Those things are just too tech savvy for the average joe to comprehend.

The reason the game now looks so unrealistic and imbalanced is this: The developers don't even know how to play their own game. You can see it from the total lack of melee or bow weapons, the horribly misplaced traps, the constant use of firearms and the lack of base complexity.

So when you say the game sucks you are right. It's somewhat salvageable because kids like shooting stuff. And this version disregards melee and bow weapons . And this is apparent from the fact you can bulk craft ammo for a cheaper price.. assuming you find the right schematics. It's all about guns and schematics now.

This game should probably have new tags: Zombie,crafting,looting,schematic reading simulator. And I'm not even sure about the zombie thing. In all the games I have ever played zombies die to headshots.

Well I agree. But i love the base game. This is exactly the time when you start looking at mod overhauls. Find one you like and join in on the discussion. Suggest things, modders are less likely to flat out say no, we are open to all ideas.

This will help you enjoy the game much more. It does for me. At some point we have to realize the game isnt going where we want it to so we take it upon ourselves to offer the alternative, something which I am grateful the Pimps allow and help out on.

Well I agree. But i love the base game. This is exactly the time when you start looking at mod overhauls. Find one you like and join in on the discussion. Suggest things, modders are less likely to flat out say no, we are open to all ideas.

This will help you enjoy the game much more. It does for me. At some point we have to realize the game isnt going where we want it to so we take it upon ourselves to offer the alternative, something which I am grateful the Pimps allow and help out on.

I could do that.

Add a modlet which adds a basic GUI which would have been added 2 versions ago.

Add a modlet that decreases experience gain to normal levels from 5% to 1%

Add a modlet for animal herding because this is the apocalypse.

Add another modlet for dropping bag chance to increase from 2% to 15% or above.

Add a modlet that decreases the zombie's reach.

Add a modlet that balances perks not requiring schematics.

Add a modlet for making melee and bow weapons viable.

..a modlet for harvesting zombies.

..another modlet for fixing FPS issues.

And finally a modlet for adding uncraftable items in the game like the beaker,the engine and now the mechanical parts and the springs.

Sorry but I'm not going to fix their own horrible performance in their game nor am I going to stand idle and watch as a game turns from a survival zombie crafting game into a fortnite clone with zombies . When the developers belittle gamers for enjoying base building and forcing them to play the way they want which is bad. When the developers delete comments not for swearing the developers or other gamers but for suggesting they cheese the gamers into buying a product that takes a totally different direction from the one they paid for.

Sounds like you hate just about everything about the game and are also unwilling to mod things the way you want. Is there anything you do like? If not perhaps it's time to take a break and check back in on A19, or move on and find joy/happiness with another game. Otherwise your just punishing yourself...

Archived