Share ur A18 Bloodmoon strategy

fragtzack

Just had a SP horde night. GS > 230 level 70. I had a horde base prepared with steel walls, iron spike traps, shotgun turrets and blade traps. The entrance was guarded by the blade traps, iron spikes and shotgun 2 turrets. I had 1200 7.62mms, 600 9mms and 20 molotovs, a tier 6 M60 with extended magazine/rad removal mods, a tier 6 pistol with extended magazine/rad removal mods. At the start of night the zombies all gathered around at this one spot on the other side of my base. I climbed up on my wall and began shooting down. To reach some of them I move more towards the edge - big mistake. Suddenly a spider zombie jumps up and knocks me off the wall *outside* of the base. Oh crap.

No time to place wooden frames to climb the wall.

The rest of the horde night I ran around grouping them up, tossed my molotovs into the groups, lured them near my shotgun turrets and used my M60. Close encounters faced a barrage of bullets with my M60. Lots of radiated ferals, couple of normal cops and about 4 demolition zombies. Killed 3 but 1 guy managed to detonate and destroyed some terrain.

Used 4 first aid kits and 6 first aid bandages. My drinks weren't on my hotbar so there were some moments of panic when I stopped to access my inventory to replenish stamina.

Killed 126 zombies that night. Used around 700 7.62mms and 15 molotovs.

In short, building a horde base is fun but facing them head-on is a whole different story - the rush/excitement/panic...WOW. Next horde night I want to see if my upgraded base can withstand them though. After that I will try facing them head-on again :).

I use my friends' funnel base when they're online and my parkour park I messed around with in A17 when they aren't. My character build was focused on handguns and bows primarily with shotgun and bat as secondary, but I recently respec'd completely out of melee and just use handguns and shotguns with a little bow peppered in. A magnum with 2 points in penetrator and AP ammo provides serious firepower and I use AP ammo for my handgun. Demolishers usually die to procs of the head-splosion, but sometimes the magnum takes care of them just fine without a proc. The funnel base is as easy as it was in the last alpha and I am usually the one to jump down and clear any zombies from areas in which they should not be since I can hop up to the ladder easily. With light armor and parkour maxed out, fighting in the open is a breeze. Not too hard to stay one step ahead of them and line them up using my compass since they are only 8-directional.

Oh, and explosive arrows for fun/huge crowds. They may lack a bit in damage, but they can be spammed so quickly that I can keep large clumps from advancing on me too much. My loadout is bow, pistol, magnum, shotgun, coffee, bandage, kit, and food or learnin' elixirs. Level 55+ with all the pertinent book collections.

I use my friends' funnel base when they're online and my parkour park I messed around with in A17 when they aren't. My character build was focused on handguns and bows primarily with shotgun and bat as secondary, but I recently respec'd completely out of melee and just use handguns and shotguns with a little bow peppered in. A magnum with 2 points in penetrator and AP ammo provides serious firepower and I use AP ammo for my handgun. Demolishers usually die to procs of the head-splosion, but sometimes the magnum takes care of them just fine without a proc. The funnel base is as easy as it was in the last alpha and I am usually the one to jump down and clear any zombies from areas in which they should not be since I can hop up to the ladder easily. With light armor and parkour maxed out, fighting in the open is a breeze. Not too hard to stay one step ahead of them and line them up using my compass since they are only 8-directional.

Oh, and explosive arrows for fun/huge crowds. They may lack a bit in damage, but they can be spammed so quickly that I can keep large clumps from advancing on me too much. My loadout is bow, pistol, magnum, shotgun, coffee, bandage, kit, and food or learnin' elixirs. Level 55+ with all the pertinent book collections.

Nice! That parkour park looks like something from american ninja warrior tv (ninja warrior for the japanese...😅) show lol...

• 6 months later...

You guys do it better than I do. 

I basically find a good spot to dig straight down to the absolute bedrock. usually not all in one go, down, along, down , along - usually a hatch at a top and within a base structure - I usually go down as far as I can go...... 

On blood moons I go right down to the bottom of the map - cook up a great meal like a king. Drink till I'm not thirsty anymore, and then get back to mining my way across the map for the night.

In the morning you can usually see where the hoard was above you... In A16 they used to basically hit at the ground a bit, in A18 they actually seem to tunnel down a bit and head in your direction....but I'm very deep down and on the move. 

Once my character's very high level I then tend to head for the top and make a stand...but a lot of the time bloodmoon = go to ground and hide.

Perhaps I should do something more dramatic like you folks.

Machinegun build:

early game:  7x7 platform, 3 rows spikes, 1 row barbed wire. center column, with overhead bars (to keep birdies off my noggin)

this is about 11 blocks back from the single redneck trailer.   single walkway from trailer to platform (11 blocks distance)

Due to the overhang, when the zeds come over the roof, they drop 1 block down, then have to hop up to the walk way.

Bullets are waiting.

Zeds use the trellis at the front to get  up on the roof, (later on, I just build them a ramp). they do a hop/pause when the get to the roof, (pick a few off here)

zip across, drop, hop, pause (blast)

Dogs tend to fall off on the hop. yeowp!  giggle.

gamestage demolishers show up:   60 dart trap base, electric fences.   Tested this on insane, 64 zeds. Only thing I had to shoot were vultures. Traps did the rest.

(distinct overkill)

vedui has a video on how to make the base. 

Mine could be considered "cheesy" for some people. I personally don't think it is, because I'm not using any exploits, and because zombies could still take it down if I weren't defending it. It is, however, a very efficient, easy and cheap base design that can withstand hordes from the very first one all the way to the day 28th one, at least (warrior difficulty, 8 zombies per player).

Anyways, here goes.

First, I dig a 5x5x6 hole in the ground. Then I build a small platform at ground level, right above the hole, supported by 4 columns that are right at the corners of said hole. Furthermore, I build a small hanging cage in between the hole and the platform. Lastly, I make sure that all the walls and floor of the hole is replaced with, at least, flagstone.

End result:

spacer.png spacer.png

You can guess what the point of this is already. Zombies fall in the hole, and I shoot them from within the cage. At day 7, you will most likely need to place wood bars instead of iron ones, but yeah, as long as everything else is flagstone, it's very effective. Zombies will break blocks, though, and if you aren't actively defending it, they will take it down from within the hole.

spacer.png

Downside? No molotovs nor pipe bombs. You need to actively defend it. It's incredibly scary. Zombies do sometimes score one or two hits a night through the bars.

Upside? Easy, cheap and accessible from the very first horde. Very efficient. Easily repairable. No annoying vultures.

17 hours ago, TheMaskedAvenger said:

You guys do it better than I do. 

I basically find a good spot to dig straight down to the absolute bedrock. usually not all in one go, down, along, down , along - usually a hatch at a top and within a base structure - I usually go down as far as I can go...... 

On blood moons I go right down to the bottom of the map - cook up a great meal like a king. Drink till I'm not thirsty anymore, and then get back to mining my way across the map for the night.

In the morning you can usually see where the hoard was above you... In A16 they used to basically hit at the ground a bit, in A18 they actually seem to tunnel down a bit and head in your direction....but I'm very deep down and on the move. 

Once my character's very high level I then tend to head for the top and make a stand...but a lot of the time bloodmoon = go to ground and hide.

Perhaps I should do something more dramatic like you folks.

I guess that's a valid strategy early gamestage horde...although some would argue why not just turn them off or change the frequency for them to show up later if you dont want to interact with them at all...😂

I guess, it's also a bit of a role play, hide until you feel strong enough to defend...👍

7 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Mine could be considered "cheesy" for some people. I personally don't think it is, because I'm not using any exploits, and because zombies could still take it down if I weren't defending it. It is, however, a very efficient, easy and cheap base design that can withstand hordes from the very first one all the way to the day 28th one, at least (warrior difficulty, 8 zombies per player).

Anyways, here goes.

First, I dig a 5x5x6 hole in the ground. Then I build a small platform at ground level, right above the hole, supported by 4 columns that are right at the corners of said hole. Furthermore, I build a small hanging cage in between the hole and the platform. Lastly, I make sure that all the walls and floor of the hole is replaced with, at least, flagstone.

End result:

spacer.png spacer.png

You can guess what the point of this is already. Zombies fall in the hole, and I shoot them from within the cage. At day 7, you will most likely need to place wood bars instead of iron ones, but yeah, as long as everything else is flagstone, it's very effective. Zombies will break blocks, though, and if you aren't actively defending it, they will take it down from within the hole.

spacer.png

Downside? No molotovs nor pipe bombs. You need to actively defend it. It's incredibly scary. Zombies do sometimes score one or two hits a night through the bars.

Upside? Easy, cheap and accessible from the very first horde. Very efficient. Easily repairable. No annoying vultures.

Hahah....I love it.  Reminds me of those underwater shark cages that people hide in while the sharks swim around....

Building Tip: since Ladders have a thin space on each side where you can Repair through, they can be used in lieu of Iron Bars in a ceiling & allow repairs.

Setup I'm testing is a trap heavy corridor.

Basic corridor is 3 wide, but the middle lane is blocked; Blade Traps are centered and 2 high.

Open lanes are raised a half block so tall zeds hit the blade traps, normals don't.

Lane entrances start w an upward firing Dart Trap activated by a 1x1 Trigger Plate.

There's an E-fence running vertically through the Dart traps.

This 'first step' gets the most activity, so wanted seperate E-fencing as they're taking the most damage.

Also uses the most dart-ammo. Day 42 BM went thru ~600-700 darts out of each one.

Just past the first darts is a wedge tip to go up the 1/2 block. Then the first Blade trap.

Horizontally across the center of the Blade is another E-fence.

E-fence is at a height to catch all zeds.

There's a one block gap between the first Blade trap and the second, and same between second & third Blade traps.

In that one block gap there are more upward firing Dart Traps, activated by Trip Wires running vertically.

And more E-fencing to stun lock zeds over the dart traps.

The 'floor' mounted dart traps fire upwards thru Centered Iron Bars, to maintain the half-height floor (don't want zed heads bobbing up n down).

At the end of the third Blade trap the 3x1 blade trap footprint is all half-height, then wedges up to full-height with a one-block deep spot where horizontal doubled Poles are. Defend from behind those, like old style melee cages.

On left & right of that spot where zeds would stand to bang on poles are double dart traps.

Trip Wire activated and another two E-fences running across; one low, one high.

Access to the sides, to repair fencing/blade traps, is beefed up enough that the zeds see the Poles as the weak point.

Day 42 BM, GS mid 60s? or low 70s?, didn't check. Running 150% XP so level was low-mid 50s. Diff 1 up from default.

And only 8 at a time zeds; still running a potato 😕

Anyway, got around a dozen+ Cops over the night, puke seemed to hit the last Blade trap a couple times as it wound up taking the most damage.

No cop made it past the first blade trap, so no cop explosions.

Edit: fairly certain that cop puke only damages blade traps if the center is hit, not just the blades themselves; like bullets going through the spinning blades don't cause damage. Another reason I'm considering making this w only one lane instead of two. Cops puking at you would likely seldom damage the blade traps.

During day 35 BM I was able to use a decked out 9mm almost exclusively; head-shotting majority of zeds when they hit the initial e-fence.

Day 42 the 9mm wasn't able to one-head-shot the tougher zeds, as expected, so was switching between it & a Marksman rifle.

Only a handful of zeds made it up to the poles; mostly spider zeds.

This ~15 block long corridor is obviously set up to leverage the Penetrator Perk.  Edit: which I don't have yet, and can't make AP yet.

Biggest downside seems to be the two lanes. Depending on which direction they come from they may wind up using both lanes, making it a bit tougher to nail them as they advance up the lane you're not directly in front of.

I'm considering doing the same basic thing but with only one lane.

If I do I think I'll need to duplicate the first dart trap since just one will likely run out of ammo. & expect the e-fence will break.

Day 42 BM was basically a cake walk. Really only needed the first dart trap, first blade trap & first two e-fences.

(mentioning this as I could have built this setup right from the start & populated with traps as I could, instead of wasting resources on a 'starter' bm base)

Only one of the first e-fences finally became disabled near the end of the BM.

No repairs made during the BM. Next morning repairs found the first e-fences fairly beat. Blade traps down a few hundred (~300-500). Nothing else took much dam.

Didn't take a good ammo count but used maybe ~250+ 9mm and maybe ~150 7.62 ?

Another design tweak I'm considering is putting this up on stilts. Not a 'fall' base. 100% access, no gaps, ramp up into the corridor. But could save quite a bit of concrete by not having to double/triple wall some areas.

Anyway... heh. I'm really hoping that A19 will bring back a better horde night balance, where there's a wider 'line' between OP'd and Failed! bases.

I really miss A16 horde nights where you could melee defend and frantically repair for big chunks. Was exciting & fun to me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived