Thoughts on Demolishers

stample

so wouldn't a marksman rifle with mods and AP bullets take him down?

He has 1000 HP. You have to hit very often to get him down. Even with AP bullets.

EDIT: i did some tests on default difficulty. With a fully modified Q6 Marksman Rifle you need 7 shots to the head and 15 to the body without any skills. With all skills maxed out you need 3 shots to the head and 6 shots to the body.

A AK47 with 7,62mm AP bullets will also work but the M60 has a higher fire rate, a bigger magazine and a higher base damage.

I also tested if exploding crossbow bolts would be effective but the AOE damage triggers the explosion.

I saw my first demolisher yesterday, by the time I hit the button, it was close enough to destroy most of my bunker.

The days of a bunker are long over with demolishers, there's just no way for me to kill them in such a way that they won't explode without doing a ton of damage to the bunker and then the rest of the zombies pour in.

I'm thinking the only way to deal with them is some kind of open air killing field with turrets and lots of barbed wire and spikes.

- P

A new hard to kill and destructive zombie is ok for me a long as there are multiple ways to deal with him. Madmole once said that they don't give you a problem if they don't give you the tools to solve it. Apparently the only tool he imagines is the M60 and AP ammo. But not everyone wants to play Rambo.

May want to give the rocket launcher a try. It can be modded with at least a 2x scope. Still feel the aim is a little bit off, but it does a lot of damage when it finally hit. As a bonus, it do damage nearby zombies as well.

May want to give the rocket launcher a try. It can be modded with at least a 2x scope. Still feel the aim is a little bit off, but it does a lot of damage when it finally hit. As a bonus, it do damage nearby zombies as well.

I tried exploding crossbow bolts, but discovered that the AoE damage trigger the explosion. The rocket launcher would have to kill him instantly. Otherwise he will explode while I reload.

I tried exploding crossbow bolts, but discovered that the AoE damage trigger the explosion. The rocket launcher would have to kill him instantly. Otherwise he will explode while I reload.

Best results if the demolisher is already a little bit hurt, say from a molotov or landmine. The best rocket does 650 damage, possibly more if perked. Not fully tested perked rocket vs unperked rockets. It is worth a shot.

Iam suprised nobody thought of multiple layer defense. Late game, concrete should be no problem, so personally I plan on leting the demolisher explode and just retreat to another layer

Several levels of defense are ok if you can assume that the number of retreat options is sufficient but with the demolisher it could happen that you run out of retreat options. Today I read a post from someone who had 17 demolishers in base at the same time.

Iam suprised nobody thought of multiple layer defense. Late game, concrete should be no problem, so personally I plan on leting the demolisher explode and just retreat to another layer

You aren't going to have enough layers. I think I had around 9+ spawn during my Day 42 horde night (which was only the 2nd horde night they started spawning). And if you plan on sacrificing layers to demolishers, what about the other zeds? The horde still does damage, so more than likely you're looking at losing a layer per demolisher plus layers to the regular horde.

You aren't going to have enough layers. I think I had around 9+ spawn during my Day 42 horde night (which was only the 2nd horde night they started spawning). And if you plan on sacrificing layers to demolishers, what about the other zeds? The horde still does damage, so more than likely you're looking at losing a layer per demolisher plus layers to the regular horde.

arent you playing Multi player?

A new threat is added and some here are already crying foul? This is arguably the best part of new alphas, let's put on our thinking caps and conquer it!!!!! ROARRRR!!!

I am already doing tests and trying to find a way to kill the demolisher reliably and quickly without triggering the explosion.

But I want to do that with traps because firearms are too easy. A fully modded Q6 M60 with AP ammo and the demolisher is dead in a few seconds. I also want to use as few resources as possible. With the right weapons and enough ammo I can defend anything. That's not difficult. It becomes interesting when you have to use your mind instead of just using raw force.

Day 92 here. Demolishers are spawning in since day 28. The last night (91) was the first time I messed up with a demolisher and he blew up in my face (I have a design for an almost melee only horde base and I use a steel sledgehammer - that thing is a beast <3).

I made the mistake to install 2 blade traps at chest level... one of them triggered the c4 and I could do nothing, should have switched off the traps the moment I saw the demolisher at the doorstep.

Apart from the above case I have fought numerous demolishers at my base, nowadays I have mostly radiated ferals and nothing can touch me if I am really careful. (For convenience I switched off sprint speed but at horde night not even their speed could help them.)

The main idea is to control their flow - my base sits in an 8 x 12 blocks surface + some stairs; I made it so that cops have 0 visibility of me when they are further away than 3 blocks, and when they are close they just rip at the steel wall while slowed by the electric fence. The same for the demolishers. If things seem to get damaged I just use my nailgun a bit why the zeds are laying low from a SH blow.

So this is how I deal with them, see if you can use any of it.

I am already doing tests and trying to find a way to kill the demolisher reliably and quickly without triggering the explosion.

But I want to do that with traps because firearms are too easy. A fully modded Q6 M60 with AP ammo and the demolisher is dead in a few seconds. I also want to use as few resources as possible. With the right weapons and enough ammo I can defend anything. That's not difficult. It becomes interesting when you have to use your mind instead of just using raw force.

There is a way to use traps to kill demolishers. At least I have a theory I'm testing out. It may or may not blow up in my face (pun intended 😅).

If you hit the green light then 2 seconds later he explodes. But don't think it's easy to catch him before he gets to the base. As a single player trying to keep track of all zombies is difficult even with only 8 zombies at a time and with more zombies it is impossible.

Seen them coming 5 or 6 at a time. No way you can track them all in the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

A new hard to kill and destructive zombie is ok for me a long as there are multiple ways to deal with him. Madmole once said that they don't give you a problem if they don't give you the tools to solve it. Apparently the only tool he imagines is the M60 and AP ammo. But not everyone wants to play Rambo.

Won't work. M60 has zero accuracy even when modded for accuracy. If there is any gun guarantee to set off their charge, it's that one. And the AK.

Seen them coming 5 or 6 at a time. No way you can track them all in the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Won't work. M60 has zero accuracy even when modded for accuracy. If there is any gun guarantee to set off their charge, it's that one. And the AK.

When there is a will there is a way. Its half the fun figuring it out. 😎

I did manage to learn that I could take them down if I only hit them in the legs. I'm not a good enough shot to try for the head. BUT... I had to run for it and draw them away, which would not have been possible if I hadn't been in sorta weenie mode. Playing solo, I keep my hoard size smaller. If I had the numbers you guys have, there's no way I could have survived a footrace like that. Bladetraps worked at leg level if they walked through 2 of them. However, if they fell over into a trap, tripped over a body... anything like that, they were set off.

It's gonna take some work to figure this one out. I've only managed to get to GS 160 one time in experimental because I've been starting over with every drop, and I did it that time with 300%xp gain activated. It's too messy that way, though. Your GS goes up too fast and you really aren't ready for what hits you. Off to restart again for 18.1b2.

Let's sort'em out.

The gap the zombies have to pass through is initially 3 blocks high.

On the upper part, i place an upside down bladetrap.

On the floor, i put halfblocks to raise the zombies up to make them pass slightly higher.

And of course, an electrical fence to increase the time they spend in the bladetraps (which also reduce how long the bladetraps will last without repairs, of course).

Result:

Taller zombies like Demolishers, Cops, Wights, snow zombies and on occasion some regular sized ones will be hit in the head by the bladetraps, while smaller ones will pass through (although taking damage from the electrical fence wire).

A very crude and rude sorting machine.

I have not managed to trigger a demolition zombie with this setup yet, although a sample size of 20 is a bit small to determine if it is perfect or not.

edit: A slight bonus with the setup in the video, keep in mind that the highest DPS from a bladetrap is under the centre of it.

Let's sort'em out.

The gap the zombies have to pass through is initially 3 blocks high.

On the upper part, i place an upside down bladetrap.

On the floor, i put halfblocks to raise the zombies up to make them pass slightly higher.

And of course, an electrical fence to increase the time they spend in the bladetraps (which also reduce how long the bladetraps will last without repairs, of course).

Result:

Taller zombies like Demolishers, Cops, Wights, snow zombies and on occasion some regular sized ones will be hit in the head by the bladetraps, while smaller ones will pass through (although taking damage from the electrical fence wire).

A very crude and rude sorting machine.

I have not managed to trigger a demolition zombie with this setup yet, although a sample size of 20 is a bit small to determine if it is perfect or not.

edit: A slight bonus with the setup in the video, keep in mind that the highest DPS from a bladetrap is under the centre of it.

I've seen your other test videos. (Almost wish I didnt 😅). Great job with this testing. This half block idea is pretty cool, thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll use a variation of it in the future.

While I kind of like the idea behind the demolishers... I feel like they are limiting base design a tad too much. Now you have to think of base designs that are exclusively constructed to deal with them, which doesn't leave a lot of options left when it comes to shapes or traps.

While I kind of like the idea behind the demolishers... I feel like they are limiting base design a tad too much. Now you have to think of base designs that are exclusively constructed to deal with them, which doesn't leave a lot of options left when it comes to shapes or traps.

Perhaps...but I think it adds more depth/challenge/progression to base building. Since demos aren't supposed to show up until mid/late game, you can get away with simpler designs and then pushed to evolve or......die. 😅👍

I love them so Much I made a modlet that adds them into standard spawns lol.... Love Em & we need more Mini Bosses roaming around at night & in the wasteland... Just added a Radiated version to my mod & hes harder than the standard & still lots of fun... Head Shots are the best...

You can just Mod out the Base destruction & Up the radius of Organic damage...

Archived