Server sort of not responding

vedrit

Hi all,

I'm running a dedicated server on Linux, and I've encountered an interesting issue. My group and I decided to explore Dishong Tower, but the server goes into a sort of...not responding state. Nothing is intractable, zombies don't move, Telnet commands don't work and no one is able to log in. But it does respond in that I can log in to Telnet, no one is kicked (until I force the server to close) and it still shows up in the server browser.

I've been reading through the logs, and nothing stands out to me as being a problem. Sleeper volumes restoring, then nothing. If I restart the server (after forcing it to shut down) players can log in and move a short distance before the server stops responding (sort of)

If anyone has any suggestions or any idea what might be going on, please let me know

Are you recording performance data so you know what is happening on our server? Such as the CPU usage, network, disk, etc.?

I use nmon which comes with Ubuntu Server. I also use a kornshell script called nmonchart which looks at the raw data and outputs it to an HTML file that utilizes google's charts and javascript. If interested, here is a quick list of what you can do (assuming Ubuntu Server):

If you don't have ksh, you will need to install it for the nmonchart script.

apt install ksh

Download the nmonchart from SourceForge:

/usr/bin/wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/nmon/files/nmonchart38.tar -O /tmp/nmonchart38.tar

Extract the contents of the archive:

/bin/tar -xf /tmp/nmonchart38.tar

Collect a small sample set of data (this will take a sample every 10 seconds, 12 times which is just 2 minutes of data):

/usr/bin/nmon -F unsorted.nmon -t -s 10 -c 12 -m /tmp

Sort the raw data:

/usr/bin/sort /tmp/unsorted.nmon > /tmp/nmon.csv

Process the nmon data and output the HTML file to your website folder:

/tmp/nmonchart /tmp/nmon.csv /var/www/yourdomain.com/nmon/index.htm
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/yourdomain.com/nmon
chmod 644 /var/www/yourdomain.com/nmon/*

I have only recently re-installed 7 Days to Die on my server and have noticed Alpha 18 is chewing up my CPUs constantly even when nobody is connected...but have yet to actually start playing it.

LHammonds

Archived