Sign in to follow this  
Morloc

Disappearing backpacks...

Had a 2nd backpack disappear (it's on the compass, but missing when arriving where it's supposed to be).

I've looked around in case it rolled.

I've dug down at the location.

I've used dm to fly high above and below with no backpack in sight.

I don't recall this happening since before A16, so I'm a bit concerned.

Anyone else lose any?

-Morloc

I lost one i the snow zone along with a junk turret i put down. Only the once so far but still, made me very unhappy.

You know they are white now, didn't get much of a look as a dashed and grabbed to avoid two wolves

I have never lost a backpack..well yes I did, once, it fell in my spike pit and got destroyed......lol.

Of course I only play SP and my computer is its own host, so.......

Edited by Bigrowdy (see edit history)

Of course I only play SP and my computer is its own host, so.......

Aye, SP hosted locally too (I probably should have mentioned that...I think I did in the bug report thing). I just went over the terrain enough times picking up or cutting down everything to avoid confusion, but it's just not there.

I'm playing on "drop nothing" until this one gets addressed as it's hard to imagine anything more annoying than losing like....everything randomly.

-Morloc

Edited by Morloc (see edit history)

Aye, SP hosted locally too (I probably should have mentioned that...I think I did in the bug report thing). I just went over the terrain enough times picking up or cutting down everything to avoid confusion, but it's just not there.

I'm playing on "drop nothing" until this one gets addressed as it's hard to imaging anything more annoying than losing like....everything randomly.

-Morloc

Just wanted to chime in, same thing happening on my MP server. We have also changed over to 'drop nothing' as a result.

I lost a backpack in A18 on single player. It was in a building in an easily located spot. Looked everywhere around it, eventually switched on god mode and never found it underground, in walls, etc.

I just wish there was a command I could use to summon my backpack to me for these situations. Acio Backpack! I understand in a voxel based world there will always be a low chance for something like this to happen, we just need a reliable fallback for when it does happen.

I lost one in the wasteland...flat terrain, I think my backpack attempted to spawn on a scrap girder ground clutter and just...failed to appear...I dug very deep, looked all around. No backpack. That was quite the setback.

Just like OP, the backpack icon showed it existed, but it just wasn't there.

I have lost my backpack for the 4th time in SP. Each time I was carrying 10k+ Dukes.

I don’t want to change to drop nothing but it might be the best option.

Same, best advice to change settings to "drop nothing on death" until stable is out. not techically a cheat if its bugging out. losing armor with mods and hard worked loot is not fun and makes you want to stop playing

Ever since they say that they fixed 'disappearing backpacks on steep hills' (something like that), I have had my backpack disappear every time on death. Like others above I just turned off the drop backpack option. Which I hate btw... I find it to be too gamey. "I'll just die now to get back to my base."

First game of 7 days to die for me, about my 4th death (Day 30) and I have lost the backpack. Died trying to retrieve it. So, now its not on the compass any more either. Many years ago I rage quit from Diablo 2 for the same bug. Maybe I won't play this game again either. Very annoying as it was all my modded armour and guns.

I just lost a backpack too. In SP. Thank god it is still early game and I only lost some very basic stuff. But still, all my food and drink. Especially my 4 bottles of mineral water is a heavy loss as well as the dukes i had after selling some stuff to the trader.

I've had this happen a few times. Twice in SP and I had a friend have it happen to her in our MP-game a while back. That hurt a lot more, since she lost a lot of lvl6-stuff.

This bug seems to have been around a LONG time. Any idea how to fix it?

I've seen zombies vanish into the ground some times when you kill them. Especially if you run them over with vehicles. Could it somehow be related?

If you are playing in single player, you should check your log. Search for entries with the word EntityBackpack

It might tell you what is happening.

2020-03-28T01:59:25 6951.012 INF 393338 EntityBackpack Start (761.3, 17.3, -1219.1)
2020-03-28T01:59:26 6952.388 INF 393411 EntityBackpack OnDestroy (761.3, 17.3, -1219.1)

You might try checking those exact coordinates.

The backpack will be removed after 1 hour.

If it spawns under ground, it should make a log entry in the form "EntityBackpack below world (x, y, z), moving to (x, new_y, z)" where the new_y should be above ground + some random amount.

It looks like It will retry this 500 times and if it continues to fail it will then be removed.

You should post your log next time it happens.

I have lost the backpack. Died trying to retrieve it. So, now its not on the compass any more either.

The compass only shows the backpack from your last death. You could mark your backpack on the map if you think you might die

trying to retrieve it. That way, if you do die again, you will still have a marker for the first backpack. Also they despawn after a while so

you have to get there before that happens.

If losing the backpack is so annoying that you want to quit the game, you can change the settings so that you don't lose anything when

you die. Like this:

7D2D-Drop-on-death.thumb.jpg.8b53076c7f30178136db6274b24c2b2c.jpg

Mine just disappeared too. I died on a roof and I've searched all floors at the exact coordinates in my log and cant find anything. I'd gotten 2 chests and had 30 silver, 10 gold, and like 5 diamond nuggets and my only auger. My backpack was ffuulllll and I am devastated. Any advice on finding it?

The log said:

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Modules/Terrain/Public/DetailRenderer.cpp Line: 66)

2020-04-09T15:11:19 10207.496 INF 555024 EntityBackpack OnDestroy (415.0, 68.1, -348.0)

Detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline, falling back to default shader.

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Modules/Terrain/Public/DetailRenderer.cpp Line: 66)

Detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline, falling back to default shader.