How to Fix / Increase Your FPS Guide A18

Yourdrunkendad

Just an FYI blow it off if you know everything.  FPS was the original goal until 50p movies came out and they found that anything over 35-40 FPS tends to stress the brain a bit (People were getting headaches at theaters).  Its not that you don't see the information its you can't process it and you start disregarding it.  The goal should be the quality of frames you provide in that 35-40 range not more of them.  The limit is YOU not your video card.  If your running a FPS meter to know that your picture is "better" rather than a "that looks good to me" try to break your more is better addiction or focus it on More per frame rather than more frames.  This is why many games started having "frame limiters" for liability issues

6 minutes ago, GunMuse said:

This is why many games started having "frame limiters" for liability issues

Actually that is done to prevent screen tearing, and to cap the framerate at the limitations of the display device. It's a QOL feature to ensure that the game looks as optimal as possible, not because of some liability issue.

In gaming, using a higher framerate can also decrease input lag, as control input is checked once per frame. The more input checks you can get per second, the less input delay there will be.

The human eye can physiologically detect up to 1000 frames per second. The average human, tasked with detecting what framerate he/she is looking at, can accurately guess up to around 150 fps. That is, they can see the difference in framerates all the way to 150 fps.

The reason that movies are limited in frame rate has nothing to do with stressing the brain. It has to do with artifacts in the legacy displays.

Film, at its native 24 FPS rate could not be displayed without the necessary pulldown process, often leading to "judder": To convert 24 frames per second into 60 frames per second, every odd frame is repeated, playing twice, while every even frame is tripled. This creates uneven motion, appearing stroboscopic. Other conversions have similar uneven frame doubling. Newer video standards support 120, 240, or 300 frames per second, so frames can be evenly multiplied for common frame rates such as 24 FPS film and 30 FPS video, as well as 25 and 50 FPS video in the case of 300 FPS displays. These standards also support video that is natively in higher frame rates, and video with interpolated frames between its native frames. Some modern films are experimenting with frame rates higher than 24 FPS, such as 48 and 60 FPS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate#Modern_video_standards

This is true but misleading it has to do with volume of information being processed by the card not the output.  I record video in 60 fps it makes the files HUGE and bulky to upload but if we don't do this then smart tv's don't have enough information to process and it can look fuzzy on larger screens.  As your quote described this is about filling in the gaps.  Monitors don't have the pixel gaps that a large screen tv does.  Another side note monitors like what you see displaying menu's at Movie theaters have way more pixels than desktop monitors to allow depth at distance for easier reading.

I use one of these for troubleshooting even VGA looks like HD on these screens.  The advise was simply don't drive yourself crazy trying to drive your card to insanity.  If it looks good it looks good.  But other factors are the quality of monitor.  Crap card with a quality monitor will look better than a quality card with a crap monitor.

The dead but killer tech was in the DLP back lit screens sent black and white light toward screen and a spinning crystal added the color. Old John Wayne movies would look 1080p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Feersum said:

Its a new pc build ,no bloatware or other crap running .With my specs I should at least be able to play on high ,med is awful cant even read names on boxes.single digits fps on high is daft

Again, it's proven lesser systems don't have an issue. It's not the game client that's the problem. 

Also, just because you build the PC, doesn't mean there isn't any bloatware or other software issues. With your specs you should absolutely be able to play on high. Since it's not the client that's the issue, it's some software, driver, or configuration on your system.

Well i ran A18 on high ,ran DF on high and can still run them on high .  cant run A19 on high

"Again, it's proven lesser systems don't have an issue. It's not the game client that's the problem." "Since it's not the client that's the issue" Sorry but there is no proof that its not the game client that is the issue.Just because certain systems dont have probs doesnt mean others wont have probs

Lesser systems dont run on high !

47 minutes ago, Feersum said:

Well i ran A18 on high ,ran DF on high and can still run them on high .  cant run A19 on high

"Again, it's proven lesser systems don't have an issue. It's not the game client that's the problem." "Since it's not the client that's the issue" Sorry but there is no proof that its not the game client that is the issue.Just because certain systems dont have probs doesnt mean others wont have probs

Lesser systems dont run on high !

Sorry, but did you see the specs I had posted here?  That's a 3rd gen Intel. Sure it's OC'ed to perform on the same level as an 8th gen, but it's definitely less than your setup. If you can't get those numbers with those settings, then you have something preventing the client from performing properly. Either it's security software, incompatible drivers, incompatible software, or an incorrect hardware configuration.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:57 PM, SylenThunder said:

Again, it's proven lesser systems don't have an issue. It's not the game client that's the problem. 

Also, just because you build the PC, doesn't mean there isn't any bloatware or other software issues. With your specs you should absolutely be able to play on high. Since it's not the client that's the issue, it's some software, driver, or configuration on your system.

You wrong, It's a client game the problem... You must not read post on youtube/steam, many players said it's low fps with 7dtd & must down setup to play good, but they can play many other games which are more beautiful & more powerful without bad fps & down setup! & this, it's like that since many years ago!

Me too, I started with a10 & I can play many best & beautiful game in high/ultra but 7dtd, nothing to do, need play setup to medium & so game are very ugly...

7 hours ago, Life_For_Dead said:

You wrong, It's a client game the problem... You must not read post on youtube/steam, many players said it's low fps with 7dtd & must down setup to play good, but they can play many other games which are more beautiful & more powerful without bad fps & down setup! & this, it's like that since many years ago!

Me too, I started with a10 & I can play many best & beautiful game in high/ultra but 7dtd, nothing to do, need play setup to medium & so game are very ugly...

Again, the lack of information here is appalling. There is literally no other game that requires the CPU power, or hard drive access and RAM efficiency that this one does. It's been that way since this game first started development. It wasn't until Alpha 18 that the game even really cared about what GPU you had, which is a stark difference from every other game that solely rely on GPU performance. Also note that you're comparing an un-optimized game still in development to other games that have been long finished for years.  There is a HUGE difference between a 3D Voxel game with complex AI pathing and structural calculations to your other 2D games with simple AI pathing around a static map with zero or near zero structural integrity calculations. I cover this in detail in the Sticky FAQ thread. You might want to do a little bit of research. 

Also, I've been running tests on the client on a range of PC's aging from bare minimum hardware requirements with hardware that is 13 years old all the way up to new hardware that's only a few months old. The only cases where I have been able to replicate the issues you guys are having is on the very-low end system, or on systems that have a lot of bloatware, are un-optimized, or are configured incorrectly.  It should also be noted that quite a lot of you having issues are on freaking laptops. THE worst performing platform you could pick outside of a console. Take one of Intel's top-tier chipsets, the i7-9900. That's a really nice gaming chip, performs extremely well. As long as it isn't in a laptop. The i7-9900k desktop chip is literally 64% faster than the i7-9900 that goes into a laptop.

So there are a lot of factors that go into determining how this game performs. You need to find the weak link and fix it. 90% of the time the weak link is either other software interfering, or a hardware configuration issue. This thread gives you information on some video options you might play around with to get better performance, and the Sticky FAQ thread covers a lot of other factors. 

I can understand not all of you are as PC-smart as some of us, but it really doesn't take a lot to do some research and figure out the basics enough to be properly informed. With a little bit of study, you can go a long way. However sitting blatantly placing blame that is only sprouted from ignorance of reality isn't going to do you, or anyone else any good. Read the materials we've provided, research what you don't understand. Then take a step forward after you have gained the knowledge. Educating yourself to increase your awareness is never a bad thing.

Boy-Boy! Guys, bring your flames down... We're not in the oven)) It is proven that 7d2d can be run on quite medium pc, it still runs like @%$*#! on Macs, there can be some misconfigurations or some flaws regarding some hardware, but in general it can run on something bit better than a potato. Devs do good job with optimisation, but it doesn't rely on them only, as game is built on top of Unity engine and this one also isn't flawless.

So let us all calm a bit down and at least pretend we are not in kindergarten and we are adults.

I am going to bring the fires back. I am not going to calm down since the game performance is still bad and there is no such visual or game parts that makes me wow.

The 7DTD is not an AAA game. Not even a AA game. It contains no top-tier graphics nor top-tier world simulation nor top-tier AI.

A note for SylenThander - Man, i have now an gf3090 but have the same CPU (i4770k / 32gb of top-pefrormance DDR3 mem).
The game now run at better framerates but there still a lot of glitchy and laggy things in the game. Anyway, the game performance doesn't fit the hardware that running it.
And don't even try to blame the 4770k and try to send me a note to get another CPU. There is a lot more CPU-intensive games/programs that really uses CPU resources, really needs it, and provides a much more better results. Sorry, but even SIMCITY/CITIES/MinecraftWMods has a lot more intensive simulation of the world.

7DTD performance sucks while the game still has a big potential.

You can blame me for every my word, but the game optimization is still awful.

Archived