Navezgane is better than RNG

grieferbastard

I'm about 500 hours into 7DtD at this point. For A18 I did a fresh start stock settings, solo in Navezgane. Day 7 horde mostly smashed my starter house location and what base building I'd gotten done. I started in the SE in the desert, within sight of the city down there. I saw the huge tower was mostly intact and relocated there.

Cleared up to the 3rd floor, secured the ground floor and set up a 3rd floor base. By day I've been working my way up carefully, I spend my nights scavenging and breaking down everything I've cleared.

It's going to take me ~ 10 hours of play time or more just to totally clear this one POI. At least.

There's a construction site across the street I cleared and have set up for horde nights. I survived night 14 pretty handily there, soon I'll have electricity and traps.

This really shows WHY I find Navezgane better than RNG maps. Far more organic feel and while you can say the map is 'too small' the POIs are well spread but each is very dense. Since what's in each of them respawns each time that same 'you never know what you're going to find' aspect is there.

Why spend 3 hours trying to make a massive map just so I can hope in exploration I'll find something as good as I know I'll get in Navezgane?

If you haven't tried Navezgane in a while, I strongly, strongly recommend it. Explore and convert a POI into a base or scavenge a POI to the ground and use the ocean of resources to build your own! From a 'Zombie Apocalypse' perspective you really should have maps available, know where towns are, what the region is like. What's IN the towns varies every time though, which is cool. Navezgane has evolved to be a really well designed play area.

Problem is....I know where everything is in Nav. I can only play RWG now.

but play it long enough and you will learn it as well.. :)

as for nav being better then rwg... thats 50/50 and personal preference.

there is still some interesting new things in nav that a lot of people never found yet. (i love nav myself and most of my testing is with nav unless i need to test an rwg issue)

Nav isn't the same as it used to be and in a relatively short time you'll find in RWG whatever you're going to investigate anyway. The difference is that in RWG the *best* you're hoping for is good POIs, which is what you're guaranteed in Nav already.

I had the same attitude; I only did RWG after my initial playthrough but having gone back to Nav I got to say, it's pretty awesome.

I'm just about to start on the 13th floor of Disong Tower. I'll spend a RL week just investigating this one town (Departure) and the POIs in it. RWG is mostly a lot of open space and random POIs scattered around. At this point Nav really feels like I'm slowly trying to build up to survive in a post zombie apoc environment. Really enjoying it so far. Just some flat out better POIs as well.

We just generated a 12K map using the new Alpha Nitrogen utility. Bigger cities, more interesting terrain, tons of POI's all over. I'll take RWG any day vs. Let's go south to that canyon to visit the mine, etc....Navezgane is great and polished...but I know exactly where everything is at (at least I assume that is still the case). I might visit it again at some point, but with such variety, I'll stick with RWG.

Problem is....I know where everything is in Nav. I can only play RWG now.

This is why I won't play nav, once I know where everything is, it loses a lot of interest for me to play on it. That and I feel there is way to much open space in it last I tried it.

Both RWG and Navezgane have their own atmosphere, but it really boils down to a person's preference.

I love Navezgane for its structured design. The road system connects smoothly and it feels like a legit region with set biomes. Yes the downfall can be the fact once you learn where everything is, you're never quite surprised anymore, but that in itself has its own charm. Navezgane simply feels like a real location that expands the entire map.

I love RWG maps as well, as long as they actually contain what I want at the end of the day. I've played and ended quickly some maps that simply was devoid of cities/towns, horrible biomes, and massive bodies of water everywhere. The road systems can be sketchy, or simply lead to a dead end. But the appeal has always been the far superior amounts of resources and because of the multiple towns/seeds (on a good map), and plenty of looting. Plus, there's just something about randomly exploring and finding areas that would be amazing to build at. So for exploration, RWG win's at the end of the day in that regard.

I'm a massive horder with resources though. I continuously grind for raw materials as well as what I can find/break down in the world. Once I get my hands on a wrench, it's over lol. And with Navezgane, that process goes far quicker than on a RWG map sadly.

Again, depends on which atmosphere one is really seeking though.

As others have said, Navez isn't the same...There's not really the sense of suspense of wondering what is in that next town over the hill, or if there even is a town over the hill. In Navez, I know if there's a town there and what buildings I will find there. If I need food, I know where the farms are. It's just...not as much fun.

This is why I won't play nav, once I know where everything is, it loses a lot of interest for me to play on it. That and I feel there is way to much open space in it last I tried it.

Way to much open space ? I think Navezgane is filled with as many POIs that would fit into, i see no large open spaces with nothing in it.

But thats personal preference.

I like more "empty" maps :smile-new:

I've also gone back to Nav and I find it really amazing. The general layout hasn't changed, but the variety of POIs laid out in a sensible fashion makes it far superior to the current state of RWG, IMO.

When the RWG engine is tuned to perfection the balance will probably swing back the other way, but for now, Nav is great to play in, even if I know where things are. I totally agree with the OP that knowing where things are doesn't matter so much because you don't know what's going to be inside. Yes, I hit up Working Stiffs and Crack a Book as soon as I have some loot perks/goggles, but there are only so many crates/shelves in there. You get a few things, but A18 has brought back the incentive to loot in a big way, so it's not like you just hit those stores and have everything you need/want.

Especially for folks who haven't played it in a few Alphas, Nav is a great experience.

The point though is that Nav is NOT the same as it was a couple alphas ago. Not even close.

My issue with RWG is I always DO know what I'll find over the next hill -

A bunch of open space or one of a much more narrow selection of POIs.

I get that it's a preference thing, I'm largely just really jazzed at how much better of an experience Nav is now than it was in prior iterations. Very polished, very fun.

I loved random maps much more than navezgane in a15 and a16. Bigger cities, cool map topography, with interesting water bodies and biomes, and most important, new each time.

In a17 navezgane was much better, just bc RWG was terrible. havent tried a18 yet.

But the point is, with a good RWG, random is better, with a bad one, navezgane is better

Archived