[World] Small Island - custom map - A19 b180 ready

Sam_Neill

Answer for 1.)

simply did mark the highest parts in the TGA with the magic stick in paint.net and then adjusting the area and fill that with white and export that to biome.png.

Answer for 2)

I created a helpfile in paint.net, with each layer representing the terrain, the streets, the biomes. Adjusting the transparency i can see as example:

the terrain layer and the street layer. Now i can see where roads would be best painted or i can adjust the terrain to the roads. After all is finished i export the layer i changed without the other ones separate.

In total there are 5 layers in that file:

-terrain

-biome

-street

-a rendered view (not really needed)

-a white overlay just to enhance the really dark colors to see more differences (very good for very low terrain, cause all looks black in black without that).

Maybe i should take some pictures to show that. More later, im just busy in homeoffice right now.

Maybe this picture helps:

paintsplat.png

PS: you dont have to recalculate the map if you change splat.png or the waterlevels file or the prefab file. Just exit and start the world again.

Saved much headaches for finding the right waterlevel for the map.

Love the map and have been playing it every time I log on. With the newest download number 7 there seems to be some prefabs missing such as bigcanyon because when I load up I receive the red notifications stating items are missing so they are left off. It seems to be the last few prefabs in the prefab.xml.

Maybe i missed 1 or 2 prefabs. Did another upload, now it should work (hopefully).

Im very happy that someone is playing this map, cause the thread keeps very silent i thought everyone is only looking in and then leaving ^^

[quote=Sam_Neill;

Maybe i should take some pictures to show that. More later, im just busy in homeoffice right now.

Maybe this picture helps:

paintsplat.png

Yes - that's the answer Sam! Thank you. . . . (and you don't need to drop other, more important jobs just to please me! )

And dont forget the upside down thing. So if you export this layer to TGA, you have to flip it vertically and set the right parameters for TGA like in the tutorial. Biome.png also needs some love but you dont have to flip it.

splat3.png and radiation.png can be edited in paint and used right out of the box.

A tad off topic, but this is a great map that Sam has, and maybe that size is a bit daunting for some folks, so here's something I did to get an easier start to big maps: add this into an entityclasses.xml inside one of your modlets:

<!-- Change startup toolbelt items -->

<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=playerMale]/property[@name=ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvival]/@value">drinkJarBoiledWater,foodCanChili,medicalFirstAidBandage,meleeClubIron,meleeToolPickaxeIron,vehicleBicyclePlaceable,toolCookingPot</set>

<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=playerMale]/property[@name=ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP]/@value">drinkJarBoiledWater,foodCanChili,medicalFirstAidBandage,meleeClubIron,meleeToolPickaxeIron,vehicleBicyclePlaceable,toolCookingPot</set>

<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=playerMale]/property[@name=ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP]/@value">drinkJarBoiledWater,foodCanChili,medicalFirstAidBandage,meleeClubIron,meleeToolPickaxeIron,vehicleBicyclePlaceable,keystoneBlock</set>

Up to seven items, and choose pretty much whatever you might prefer to start with. I like my bike. .

The bottom two entries are only needed if you get into multiplayer.

A bicycle tour of half an hour, traversing the map.

After taking the footage i realised how big the map actual is. I did want vast amount of spaces between settlements, but maybe much much more POIs are neded in the map.

Video is in double speed

Excuse me for the bad video quality

Great job on the roads. Looks like very fun for cruising. 😎

With so many new POIs in A18 i will wait for the A18 experimental to include them for more variety :smile-new: I hope it does not run into problems :upset:

@Laz Man: Thx, the map is indeed built to use vehicles, that 30 minutes were needed to get from east side to the west side of the island.

@paulj_3: Yeah, i did not include anything of this, cause there are so much modlets and mods already there to combine with. Glad too see you like the map already.

Hi Sam,

Is it possible to update the tga/terrain so ground elevation is maybe around 30 or 40 voxels high? This will allow me to add underground structures to the prison POI in the future. Here is some sample photos I took with the prison placed at 5754, 01, 3184.

Map View:

xFbFBlY.png

Overhead:

dTlyeFq.png

Distant POI Mesh (1st version :) ):

YtzPqQ2.png

Prefab sits offset to the ground because it currently needs a yoffset of -13 to be flush with the ground and the location you designated has ground level at 11 voxels from bedrock.

McrbYLK.png

@Laz Man

Can you try to start the latest Download in A18 ? Prefabs should give some error messages but map should load. But here i dont get the the right ground textures. I suspect my Radeon graphics card, but im not sure. The Rock textures are not showing up, snow doesnt too. And the forrest biome shows only dirt, not much green.

Like here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29322[/ATTACH]

Would be helpful if you could proof thats my graphics card. Thanks ! (only if you have no problems yourself with the game ofc)

Nevermind, got it. Terrain shaders are no problem anymore. Now sorting out prefabs and including new ones for an A19E version :smile-new:

2019-10-07_21h56_31.jpg.59d5694079251a4aecea2fa66e221f04.jpg

Updated to Alpha Experimental A18.0

Still experimental too, 2-3 prefabs missing the right distant meshes (the dam especially), dam prefab has to be worked on too.

I made it working on A18.0 with the shaders and all.

Stuff to do:

-replace some prefabs that are misaligned

-add more prefabs/some towns

-adjust terrain at some places

-exchange the pictures in thread with the new ones / give some new stuff to see media

If you have a previous version installed, please delete the savegame and the world data !

Another short street tour in double speed (now A18.0 Experimental):

Video will take some time to be in 1080p on YT.

PS: I know the hills are all rounded and not cliff like in the A18 map generation. There is not much i can do about that :upset:

-Waiting for the next update too. I hope i do get some performance gain.

Updating the big bridge:

bridges3.gif

Monster you killed the deer :( Nice roads, you should add some small erosion in the cliffs, try willbur, this program can make beautifoul erosions

Did take a look, nice tool, but i would more like a tool to open up the processed rwa file and then make some stamps on the terrain to make some parts looking more rough. Didnt find a solution for that and i do not own photoshop, which could work with that specific raw files.

Wow sam, great job getting your world converted so quickly.

Thank you :smile-new: I guess i should add an appendum to the tutorial by Red Eagle to show how someone can convert the splat3.png in the correct way (using Gimp). I hope i have some spare time this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

A new version is ready: 

Added:

-more streets and villages (1029 prefabs right now, thats about the same or more the the pregen maps)

-adjusted terrain altitude to get no weird graphical issues if your altitude is over 150 m

-some tweaks to the roads and road layout

Small_Island_preview3.png

[video=youtube_share;mVNY77iV2z8]

Webmap

After playing the A18 for quite some time i did recognize that traders are pretty valuable now - for buying stuff and also for selling, so you could melt the Dukes for brass. Currently there are 10 traders in the map, should be 5 or 6 more.

Does anyone now if traders have a maximum range looking for quest buildings ? That would be another factor to get more traders in and place them strategically.

A new version is ready: Download V13

Added:

-more streets and villages (1029 prefabs right now, thats about the same or more the the pregen maps)

-adjusted terrain altitude to get no weird graphical issues if your altitude is over 150 m

Webmap

After playing the A18 for quite some time i did recognize that traders are pretty valuable now - for buying stuff and also for selling, so you could melt the Dukes for brass. Currently there are 10 traders in the map, should be 5 or 6 more.

Does anyone now if traders have a maximum range looking for quest buildings ? That would be another factor to get more traders in and place them strategically.

Awesome work!! yes the traders have a range, they try to take POI's that are close you, not sure if they can reach a 10km distance POI but i think yes.

A new version is ready: Download V13

Added:

Webmap

Nice sam!!!! Owe you that prison. My goal this weekend is get it converted to a18 and add some of the new deco blocks.

Well I was able to spawn the prison @ 5754,28,3184 but for some reason some trees are spawning over part of it. These trees are not specified within the prefab file so not sure what is going on. May need to do some more testing.

hrngSmQ.png

xd3PuJe.png

Also getting this strange issue with the terrain where concrete terrain blocks are looking like forest ground. I wonder if this is some bug with the changes the devs made to terrain blocks in A18. With in-game prefab editor, the issue doesn't exist.

eAVWldq.png

Is in the prison.xml this entry ?

<property name="AllowTopSoilDecorations" value="False" />

or is it set to true ? You should set it to false, cause you dont want extra trees.

For problem 2:

Ah, you have to save then exit the game, delete the 2 splat_processed.tga and start again. all will be fine :)

The spalt_processed.tga will be calculated again as a mixture of the splat.png and the prefab list and will dictate the underground then. Thats the reason you dont see the asphalt.

I wonder if this is some bug with the changes the devs made to terrain blocks in A18. With in-game prefab editor, the issue doesn't exist.

eAVWldq.png

Its not a bug, but the feature with A18.

• Sam_Neill changed the title to [World] Small Island - custom map - A19 b180 ready

Archived