[World] Small Island - custom map - A19 b180 ready

Sam_Neill

FAQ:

-How large is the map? Currently 14336x14336 pixels, so about 4x times of Navezgane

-Why is there so much water around ? I find it disturbing running against a radiation border out of nowhere.

-Why an island ? Cause i wanted a natural barrier instead of the known radiation zone, and it allowed me to do some POIs that are near water.

-The water in the sea is only 5 deep and then there is already the bottom of the map, which is solid? Yeah i made it that way to save world voxels. Maybe the map runs faster then - we will see.

-There are not many POIs/Towns in this map ? I wanted a map where you can get lost a bit, and also have space to play a bit hide and seek. Or build a fortress not everyone stumbles on immmediatly. But iam also not finished, there could be more buildings, especially some special buildings like The Walk of the Dead Prison (Hello Lazman! :02.47-tranquillity:). We will see.

-How long you have been working on this map? I did start in November 2018, and did several breaks. I also had to learn mcuh stuff about water-placement, POI building, distant meshes and much much more.

-Why there are so less biomes ?

-Why is there desert only on the islands ? I wanted no harsh biome changes in the world. Also placing the desert only on separate islands with no other biomes should be interesting for the game: Living there for easy access for gas and have no real food and wood source or the other way ?

-Why no destroyed biome ? I find it a bit ugly looking in Vanilla. The underground is quite repetitive. Maybe that changes in the coming A18. Another idea would be to make the map even larger and have destroyed land that is separated from the island at the right side of the map.

-What does take so long to build this map ? All streets are levelled, i did even adjust the world.TGA, to make ramps to adjust the terrain to the streets, so you will see no holes or sudden insane steep ramps out of nowhere. Other things that take a while is placing prefabs and "painting" the roads and gravel path accordingly, so the prefab does fit in more nicely.

-Why are most POIs and towns on the east side of the island? The west side is supposed to be an off limit land. There is a military base, maybe some weapon testing facilities make their way in there too.

-There are not enough traders/Trader is not in a good spot everywhere? I guess some traders are still missing, but it was my thought to place them not in cities or other good locations, so you have to travel. And the distance is so far you have to plan for vehicles because of the long distances!

Map+ Prefabs:

Small_Island A19 B180 Sept 2020

Copy the world folder inter your worlds directory and the prefabs into the prefabs folder.

Thx for tutorials all the people here in forum, especially:

-Genosis / NotaGamer for the pretty awesome POI building tutorials

-Distant Meshes Tutorial by Slaan

-Guppy for his help with smoothworldall and other things!

-and of yourse the beginning of all: Red Eagle LXIX tutorial how to create a terrainmap with an external image Alpha 17b240 Quick Guide to Creating a ‘7 Days To Die’ world from an external image.

- Genosis for the 18th Century Asylum he built - i placed it in a nice spot Asylum Prefab

-Magolis (and of yourde the contributors) map pack, i did not use much yet, but the firewatchtower, which was modified by myself,

To be done:

-inserting more POIs, maybe another town or 2

-adjusting ugly places

-making more POIs/do them better

-maybe making the map even larger to adress the visible gap (aka known as "seeing the end of the world)

-radiation map not complete yet

What would be interesting for me?

-Hows the performance of the map for you ? (SP, but especially MP!)

-Do you have tips, what could be altered/changed added ?

-Do you have a prefab, that is suited for this map ? ( Can be big, i will adjust the terrain and the according streets, so it fits in nicely)

You want to test performance on the server?

Please PM me with your Steam ID, then i will give you the password. Maybe i can open it for all people, but i want a bit of control, who is joining.

And also preventing people joining, which think its an regular server (maybe it will be one soon).

Hello,

it's a very good idea to provide custom handmade maps to play on and your map looks interesting, I like the idea of playing on the island so I might give it a try eventually, but I'm wondering, does this webmap represent its current state? Because considering the size, I would expect more POIs. I'll be honest with you, I'm not really a fan of running for long distances through empty land.

Hello,

it's a very good idea to provide custom handmade maps to play on and your map looks interesting, I like the idea of playing on the island so I might give it a try eventually, but I'm wondering, does this webmap represent its current state? Because considering the size, I would expect more POIs. I'll be honest with you, I'm not really a fan of running for long distances through empty land.

Yeah, sure some more POIs are missing, but there will be no massive concentration of POIs like in Navezgane.

I did set thespawnpoints carefully (i hope so) so you have POIs near you, but travelling across the map will be much more comfortable with a vehicle :)

PS: First, when starting i wanted to make a complete free map without any POI and let the players evolve that into streets and bridges and buildings - forming communities, fighting for resources.

Working on the files with paint.net, and converting the biome.png or the dtm.tga with krita, so it is in the right format. I dont want to buy photoshop^^

I have a paint.net pdn file with the layers of the TGA,streets and so on one above the other so i can manipulate terrain with seeing the streets and vice versa.

The TGA has then to be mirrored upside down and all the stuff to get it right. Took me some weeks or month to get a flow with that :-)

I dont know the terrain source exactly, it is a much smaller island on terrain.party, just a bit stretched, and the flatlands or some hills to allow water sources above the others are painted into the tga.

Wowow, this is the most complete custom map I've seen so far. Bravo!!!! It will be nice to see many more like this from the community someday. 😎

- - - Updated - - -

A size comparison between Navezgane (i hope that is the actual version, but the size with 6144x6144 should be right) and my map so far:

Size_Comparison_k.png

Wow great visual comparison.

Edit: kudos for limiting the distance to bedrock. This sounds like what MM had in mind for static terrain after gold. 😎

Haha that's awesome. I lived on kauai for 2 years. I am so totally going to play your map.

It is not really like the original, i just needed an island about the right size. It is not a visualisation of that island, only uses the heightmap of it. And i altered it, too. So it would be wrong to ply it and then say: "Thats not Kauai" - cause it isnt anymore :smile-new:

It is not really like the original, i just needed an island about the right size. It is not a visualisation of that island, only uses the heightmap of it. And i altered it, too. So it would be wrong to ply it and then say: "Thats not Kauai" - cause it isnt anymore :smile-new:

Close enough for me. You should name it after yourself. 😎

Adding some more villages with POIs in between the pretty large map. Will take some days, then there will be an updated map available.

I will also create an overview of the map with included:

-Spawnpoints

-Traders

-Villages/Towns/Cities

So people might get a better overview of the world.

Added some more POIs and streets and made an overview of player starting points and trader locations.

So people should not get lost in the forrest :fat:

Small_Island_preview2.png

Click for large version

"S" stands for player start points (13 total),

"T" for traders (7 total).

For more details: Webmap

So far 644 prefab entries in the prefab.xml, Navezgane has 1364, and is 4 times smaller :distrust:

• Sam_Neill changed the title to [World] Small Island - custom map - A19 b180 ready

Archived