Random Rectangles

DistantUK

I used to play 7DTD using a nVidia GTX 970 but upgraded AMD Vega 56.

The first time playing the game on the Vega 56, I started getting some weird artifacts on the screen in the shape of semi-transparent, white rectangles. The would be permanent on the screen, restarting the game moved and changed the size of these rectangles.

I continued playing the game and my GFX bricked and I had to RMA it and received another. I have no idea if they are related, it occurred so I am adding it to this.

I plugged my 970 back in and no rectangles, no issues and then I received my 2nd Vega 56.

I took a break from 7DTD only to start playing it again today and the rectangles are back.

20190826182041_1.thumb.jpg.58692ae2c0880b4cb4b71cabcb85515b.jpg

This doesn't occur in any other game I play.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X

GPU: Vega 56

Has anyone seen this before and possibly know why it occurs and/or how to fix?

20190826182707_1.thumb.jpg.8147310b92e9c5a7f31973bdda3adc2a.jpg

20190605145110_1.thumb.jpg.f93f273f81d14f29be4265f518b8105f.jpg

Nope. I even downloaded the pictures (to look at them in their native resolution) and I still don't see anything but black. Well, except for the targeting X, which isn't very rectangely to begin with and should be there, right?

The second post has images with red outlines of where the rectangles are.

The second post has images with red outlines of where the rectangles are.

I know. I see the red rectangles and either complete black or a single X cursor inside. Not sure where the disconnect is here. Maybe someone else can comment, I see nothing

Did you un-install the Nvidia drivers, and install the AMD drivers?

Yes. When replacing the cards I used Display Driver Uninstaller and removed all traces of the previous brand before installing the new brand drivers.

I'm using the latest available drivers for Radeon.

Maybe only on your screen. Any chance to take a pic of your screen with a phone and add the photo that way. Maybe your computer is not capturing it...can you see them on your screen when you look at the photo?

I can see them on the images and the boxes move with the images if I move them around on screen. This is how I am able to point them out on photoshop.

This is not replicated with the 970, only the Vega 56.

I saw nothing as well.

Is there any rectangular shapes outside the game? Even if stuff is minimized, it could still be an issue. I'm thinking maybe you have shapes bleeding into your game as I've seen this before with AMD GPU, though I never bothered to try and resolve it till now. Maybe try windowless fullscreen in-game and see if that helps. Maybe also try a GPU driver update if you haven't already.

But this is just one of many reasons why I don't buy AMD graphics cards. I love their CPUs, but GPUs, no thanks.

Man, given that no one else can see them, I wonder if this could be a monitor issue? I've done everything possible to try and see these faint rectangles but I find nothing.

Both of my monitors get the same result.

I saw nothing as well.

Is there any rectangular shapes outside the game? Even if stuff is minimized, it could still be an issue. I'm thinking maybe you have shapes bleeding into your game as I've seen this before with AMD GPU, though I never bothered to try and resolve it till now. Maybe try windowless fullscreen in-game and see if that helps. Maybe also try a GPU driver update if you haven't already.

But this is just one of many reasons why I don't buy AMD graphics cards. I love their CPUs, but GPUs, no thanks.

The shape sizes are random and their position and amount change each time I reload the game.

This doesn't happen inside the menus only when inside a world.

I can see the rectangles on the "red box" photos online, but if I download them, they vanish. Weird.

Anyway, they are there, and I think it's an AMD problem because I used to see this effect in old alphas

when I played with a Radeon 7750 HD. I never figured it out and moved to Nvidia in A15 so I forgot about

it.

It kind of looks like a compression artifact.

Are those screen grabs taken from a recording of the game, or in game?

Also, I thought I'd try to reproduce this so I fired up the old machine with the 7750 HD in it. I failed, though the game played surprisingly well with that card.

The original images were taken using Steam's screenshot facility. The second images (with red boxes) were saved in photoshop at a lower quality by the looks of it.

The game works very well with the Vega, but I just get those odd shapes on my screen that move around and change size. There is nothing else on my desktop or other programs I use that could cause them. As everything on my desktop and other programs I use that aren't games are on my second monitor.

I don't know whether this is of any help. I have just been in the options in game and as I'm hovering over the names of the opion to change options, the boxes on the screen change size and position. Im starting to think this is part of the game UI rather than a texture issue.

Archived