EinHerDam [Prefrab] A Dam.. which holds water until it doesnt I guess?

NLBlackEagle

Hello and welcome to yet another spotlight prefab thread!

Just like the GiktownBridge I will put this prefab in the spotlight as it's quite unique within Dregora's Universe which is the temp name of this map im creating. This time around it wont be a protected prefab so get your bulldozers and cause chaos by blowing up the dam! ( I honestly havent tested this yet but we'll see what happens )

Guppy's Downtown inspired me to make this a "From the ground and up" kind of mini project and ofcourse as soon as it is done I will share it on the website https://7d2d.dregora.com

Inspiration ( The inspiration is just a base model which I will give my own twist )

Akosombo_Dam_is_spilling_water_Ghana-1020x680.jpg

EinherDam1.png

Oh yes, definitely! But dont be so supriced ;) As reference there's a tool that nearly 2 million people have downloaded in order to use or create maps. Im one of the only 3 which actually uses the tool to create maps :p

Anyway, given enough persons are tempted by creating maps the more content will flow the more publicity the more temptation to create maps :) I'll be making good use of my break from my usual projects to make something worth mentioning in 7d2d and it so happend my breaks tend to be quite lenghty :p

Prefab is placed in world which was more trouble then anticipated.

Some things i figured out is that I can't fill the artificial way unless wacky hacky methods are used. One is making a lot of prefabs but that will mess up the distant mesh resulting in a ugly water, no water look so to say.

Secondly, which I will be using is to adjust the heightmap of the world i've created and create a single block ridge within the dam. This should allow the basin to be filled up using the water_info.xml. since currently a entry in water_info creates a nerdpole of water even when min,max X & Z are used.

Anyway, the basic blocks of the dam are there, details will be added once i tackle the water issue!

unknown.png

Well, after a whole slew of computer crashes and loading screens plus a dosis of good ol confusion I finally got my ridge where I wanted it and I expected to end this sentence with "Only to find out it was for basically nothing"

Buuttt... My experiment paid off! Water only generates if it has a place to stop at. It needs a basin no matter how big otherwise it'll generate a nerdpole.

This means with patience and a lot of fiddeling i can create a proper waterbody behind the dam :D Here's an explainatory image. It requires the strip of ground there meaning...

Water doesnt care about prefabs and/or water generates before prefabs in the world.

unknown.png.55e3e8e9bcd38ede7518304945368b27.png

Scrap the above, the reason why a nerdpole of water was generated is because there already is a body of water at that location.

Experienced the same thing with waterlevels too, searching for a dam prefab ( or i have to make it by myself :smile-new: )

Ohh that one looks nice and so smooth :o The dam im working on is nearing its completion stage :) Feel free to take a early look here: https://7d2d.dregora.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/EinHerDam.zip

Here's some screens of how it currently looks :)

Naamloos.png

turbine.png

turbinedown.png

EinHerDam Completed! Here's the latest screenshots! You can find the download the 3 prefabs that make up the dam at https://7d2d.dregora.com

@Laz man, good question ;) We'll have to see during one of the map tests :p I'll make sure to put anything crazy in the trailer i'll probably be making for dregora's universe in the future :)

@Pille, without end :D I hope i can keep up that standard :o

Next posts are some screenz ( Forum started acting weird with max screens once again )

Archived