Can we create a wire organizer?

OnlyMeiya

Basically please make a block that acts like a relay but does not extend your wire buildable distance but helps to tuck the wire in so you can hide it better.

Currently you have to do this with relays and it takes a few watts just to organize those wires better, over quantity those watts start to really add up.

I'm thinking it'd be particularly fun if something like conduit ~needed~ to be scavenged from ruins. It's not like it would be impossible to make it in a post-apocalypse world, it'd just be way easier to go grab it from the countless structures no longer using it.

We already have this dynamic with key items like engines and batteries. I think it'd add another (albeit small) dimension to building.

-Morloc

Basically please make a block that acts like a relay but does not extend your wire buildable distance but helps to tuck the wire in so you can hide it better.

Currently you have to do this with relays and it takes a few watts just to organize those wires better, over quantity those watts start to really add up.

On the offchance that this was not widely known:

Just place on/off switches and switch them on permanently.

They do not use power themselves and act 100% the same as a relay.

Only timed relays are needed.

On the offchance that this was not widely known:

Just place on/off switches and switch them on permanently.

They do not use power themselves and act 100% the same as a relay.

Only timed relays are needed.

I actually didn't think of that, thank you.

I remember that originally they had considered placing the wires along the blocks. Much like working with redstone in Minecraft. In the end that didn't work out because it takes up a voxel space, so they went with what they have now.

I agree with the decision to stick to rough cabling because this is post-apocalypse after all. I think it would be nice if we could have something like a joiner so we can run them along a wall to a point, and then direct it out from there after. You can kind of do this now with relays, but it's tricky with the limitations on connections.

It would be nice if there was a way to "Upgrade" blocks to have wires in them. Like right-click with the repair tool and it adds the electrical property to the block. That OR there was a way to make the conduits "sink" into the block that they're on by activating with the wire tool. I'm on board with this idea.

you meant the power "direction" was visable when wire tool is in hand didn't you?

No. I meant the wires should only be visible when the tire tool is in hand. Wires are ugly and it just seems a simple way to hide them.

You can hide all of the wires easily if you build correctly.

Yes, but that´s not always an option. Depending on your settings you might not have the time to build cable routes intto your base. That´s what i do in my builder save. In my survival save i can´t even think about that.

You can hide all of the wires easily if you build correctly.

Depends on your definition of building correctly. Yes, I understand what you mean, you can hide the wires. But often that results in less efficient building. With more waste of material, space, time. Also the buildings may be uglier, as a result of hiding the wires.

"Yes 'we' can create a wire organizer"

I believe Starvation had something similar...

"Yes" you can hid them to a degree, but it can cost you at least 1Watt per relay... Which is/was another reason I try to only consume 10 to 30 percent of available power...

"Yes" TFP could add it in too.

I remember in 16.2 or so - my wife was walking around with a power line attached to her! It looked funny! It was a bug back then...

Depends on your definition of building correctly. Yes, I understand what you mean, you can hide the wires. But often that results in less efficient building. With more waste of material, space, time. Also the buildings may be uglier, as a result of hiding the wires.

I tried like 5 times to do a good looking, very solid build with hidden cables since electricity exists. Couldn´t really nail it yet, too hard to find a really efficient way to hide the cables without wasting too much ressources that contribute nothing to the defense.

Not only that, but also there is maintenance to consider.

Building to hide wires is one thing, but building to accommodate ease of remodeling and maintenance is another. When things break, either by zeds or by yourself on accident, and you have to get to that wire that you so neatly tucked away, you end up having to do a lot breaking and replacing to troubleshoot or move things around.

Simply not showing them works best for me too.

You can use switches to extend the line without using any power.

Generally, if you're at the stage where you're considering aesthetics over functionality, materials to build should be in abundance, meaning it isn't problem.

And good looking house full of hidden wires doesn't have to be inefficient.

Sadly, I no longer have a save file where I had perfectly normal house full of lights and hidden wires across 3 floors to show as an example.

Archived