Turning off Weather Survival

Vaeliorin

So...weathersurvival off doesn't seem to work anymore, and I swear I saw a post some time ago that said there was a new command (I tried newweathersurvival off and weathersurvivalnew off and neither seemed to work) but neither google nor the forum search feature have given me what I'm looking for. I'm just far frustrated as I'm currently living where a forest, snow, and desert biome meet, and I'm constantly either hot or cold.

Anyone know the new command? Is there a new command?

Hmm...I did put it in, and it said it was off, but I was still getting heat/cold effects. Playing single-player with cheats on. Guess I'll try it again and see if the second time is the charm.

Edit: Put it in again, console said it was off, still getting hot/cold effects. Sigh.

Ah come one, it´s already dumbed down to a point where it is riddiculous. They really could remove it right now, seems like they wanna ditch as much survival as possible, just wonder why they even started with survival in the first place. Every aspect of it is dumbed down to point that they only keep it because it is in the subtitle.

I´d rather go back to the old mechanic tough. It´s kinda triggering how the same piece of cloth warms and cools you.

It´s also another way to add more challenge. When you can´t just run around in iron all day, things become way more spicy.

Yeah I never got the point to weather survival it really doesn't add anything fun to the game, and is just a pain in the arse.

Disagree on this one. I mean it could be implemented better but I think it's necessary in a game like this. It's already easy enough as is.

Ah come one, it´s already dumbed down to a point where it is riddiculous. They really could remove it right now, seems like they wanna ditch as much survival as possible, just wonder why they even started with survival in the first place. Every aspect of it is dumbed down to point that they only keep it because it is in the subtitle.

I´d rather go back to the old mechanic tough. It´s kinda triggering how the same piece of cloth warms and cools you.

It´s also another way to add more challenge. When you can´t just run around in iron all day, things become way more spicy.

So you don't like moddability now?

No-one in this thread has asked for, or suggested, removing weather survival mechanics from the base game, it was just that the OP doesn't prefer it, and was shown multiple methods for modding it out of their game. If that's how they choose to play it, then more power to them.

I actually love weather survival and absolutely hate the initial weather immunity that you get when you start a new game. (Not sure if this is still in, I haven't played a17 since its release.)

For me and my group it's part of the fun of new games. Spawning deep in a giant cold biome and having to huddle around campfires as you scavenge is fun for us. Sure it's "annoying" but in a fun, desperate way that adds another dynamic to the tension of those first few days of a new game.

Now, once you're established mid to late game it absolutely does become an annoyance in a16 with having to take off and put on different sets of clothes constantly, but from what I understand they've mostly fixed that in a17 with certain clothing providing both benefits or at least no negatives.

I'm fine with mechanics like this only coming into play during certain phases of the game. No need to make it relevant during mid to late game, it's just a fun dynamic during early game that goes away later on when the player is properly equipped.

I actually love weather survival and absolutely hate the initial weather immunity that you get when you start a new game. (Not sure if this is still in, I haven't played a17 since its release.)

For me and my group it's part of the fun of new games. Spawning deep in a giant cold biome and having to huddle around campfires as you scavenge is fun for us. Sure it's "annoying" but in a fun, desperate way that adds another dynamic to the tension of those first few days of a new game.

Now, once you're established mid to late game it absolutely does become an annoyance in a16 with having to take off and put on different sets of clothes constantly, but from what I understand they've mostly fixed that in a17 with certain clothing providing both benefits or at least no negatives.

I'm fine with mechanics like this only coming into play during certain phases of the game. No need to make it relevant during mid to late game, it's just a fun dynamic during early game that goes away later on when the player is properly equipped.

Have to agree with you on the initial immunity. That's part of what should make the game fun. That's the most exciting part of the game for me, so much so that sometimes I played until I got to iron tools then started over again.

Between adding the immunity and removing zombie smelling you when you had dysentery or meat on you..I have to think that TFP is catering to the "but it's too haaaaaaard" crowd.

Damn this game was tough and scary when I started playing....now.....meh.

There is a big difference between a challenge and a chore.

Right now all you have to do is make a poncho and a hat and then simply keep putting them on and taking them off as you go from one zone to another. Doing this a dozen times is fine. Having to do this for the rest of your very long game is just boring. Not challenging, not difficult, just boring.

A good survival mechanic is the one that's challenging or even deadly at first, then it becomes manageable, then trivial. As soon as it becomes trivial, it gets replaced with another challenge. You start off naked and freezing, then you find basic clothes, then you find or make advanced outfits at which point you shouldn't have to manually keep switching clothing items. Wear and tear will make sure the challenge doesn't go away completely.

I find weather survival annoying in its current iteration.

I mostly just think "Oh I can't kill zombies as quickly now."

Either make temperature lethal or remove it, I hated the temperature system when it was implemented and I still hate it.

So you don't like moddability now?

No-one in this thread has asked for, or suggested, removing weather survival mechanics from the base game, it was just that the OP doesn't prefer it, and was shown multiple methods for modding it out of their game. If that's how they choose to play it, then more power to them.

Actually, this is the first time I've found it particularly annoying in A17 (admittedly, this is also the first time I've played a17 for more than a day or two with a random gen map), and I didn't mind it particularly in A16 (it was a bit annoying, but manageable.) For some reason, I don't know if it's where I'm living or what, but the temperature keeps going from 80 to the mid-30s and back multiple times a day, even if I'm in the same biome. Admittedly, it also is really weird that I can walk for 15 seconds and go from 15 degrees to 120 degrees.

I don't know if there's a point where I can eventually get clothes/armor where I'm fine in all weather (I've always just switched puffer coat/poncho previously in a17, where I only found a need when going into different biomes), at which point it'd be fine, it's just the fact that I'm having to constantly switch clothes multiple times per in-game day that's pushed me to the point I don't want to deal with it any longer.

Edit: The fact that the game claims I'm freezing in mid-30s weather in which I might just start thinking about putting on a coat in real life is bugging me too. I rarely wear a coat when the temperature is above freezing, and would only zip one if the temperature is in the 20s and I'm basically just standing still.

Tell you what, when the temperature starts behaving like actual temperature in the real world, I'll happily play with weather effects turned up to potentially lethal levels. When there are multiple 40+ degree temperature swings in a single biome in the course of a game day, I'm not interested in putting up with it.

@Vaeliorin ofc with reasonable temperatures. I am assuming that doesn´t work as it should right now and will be fixed before release.

And it´s more than just putting your hat on and off. Armor. You need to deceide how low on armor you can go without getting in danger while managing temperatures. That´s a bit more of a challenge.

Actually, this is the first time I've found it particularly annoying in A17 (admittedly, this is also the first time I've played a17 for more than a day or two with a random gen map), and I didn't mind it particularly in A16 (it was a bit annoying, but manageable.) For some reason, I don't know if it's where I'm living or what, but the temperature keeps going from 80 to the mid-30s and back multiple times a day, even if I'm in the same biome. Admittedly, it also is really weird that I can walk for 15 seconds and go from 15 degrees to 120 degrees.

I don't know if there's a point where I can eventually get clothes/armor where I'm fine in all weather (I've always just switched puffer coat/poncho previously in a17, where I only found a need when going into different biomes), at which point it'd be fine, it's just the fact that I'm having to constantly switch clothes multiple times per in-game day that's pushed me to the point I don't want to deal with it any longer.

Edit: The fact that the game claims I'm freezing in mid-30s weather in which I might just start thinking about putting on a coat in real life is bugging me too. I rarely wear a coat when the temperature is above freezing, and would only zip one if the temperature is in the 20s and I'm basically just standing still.

Tell you what, when the temperature starts behaving like actual temperature in the real world, I'll happily play with weather effects turned up to potentially lethal levels. When there are multiple 40+ degree temperature swings in a single biome in the course of a game day, I'm not interested in putting up with it.

Right? Especially if drinking water actually cooled you, if sweat was a thing (Sweating to cool, sweating also makes smell and zombies find you by smell would be a cool mechanic)

Running and performing actions would warm you as well.

Wind would have to be a thing, so you had intermittent cooling,

Heat waves, Cold Snaps.

Tornado's and/or hurricanes flinging zed everywhere at you like Sharknado was a thing.

To me the temperature system just feels so damn incomplete and intuitive at this stage it doesn't have to be super detailed but at least make some sense with it.

@Vaeliorin ofc with reasonable temperatures. I am assuming that doesn´t work as it should right now and will be fixed before release.

Hence my wanting to turn it off in this one playthrough. It was driving me crazy. I made no request to get rid of it.

And it´s more than just putting your hat on and off. Armor. You need to deceide how low on armor you can go without getting in danger while managing temperatures. That´s a bit more of a challenge.
Given that this was all within the first 3-4 days, I wasn't really wearing armor. Previously in A17 (and A16) it was generally as simple as switching a coat out. If I'm in a temperate biome (like the forest) I shouldn't be needing to wear special clothing to protect me from the temperature.

Maybe if there were seasons that could be a thing, but we don't have seasons.

Archived