Release Date of A18?

Bilbo Swaggins

I’m not a huge fan of A17 and I know I will be for A18. I especially wasn’t during its first builds, but it’s still 7D2D, so of course I still enjoy it.

I am finding it very hard to believe that all of the 40+ regular visitors to that server feel the exact same way and refuse to play A17. Maybe a few, but you would still have reason enough to run A17 on it until A18 comes. Even if it were less people, you would probably pick up new people who do want to play it. I’m calling bluff.

And you guys wonder why the vast majority of people that play this game don't bother coming to the forums...

To be fair, this is a self-made problem. If your friends quit playing or hate A17, why leave the server on? It takes like an hour at most to set up a server, so why not turn it off til A18 launches? Why do you think that's an unreasonable solution?

Business communication courses are offered to assist professional development of IT workers. It's essential to prevent 'miscommunication' and understand the effects caused from poor communication skills. Communicating misinformation can harm a company's credibility to the point of affecting their bottom line. Learnt that on my D. Digital Interactive Gaming.

Never say "..I assure you.." and not follow through with it, it breeds mistrust with the stakeholders (early release owners).

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on info.

There is no doing right for the devs here. They get flamed when they give out a vague possible date for not meeting it. And if they do it´s done when it´s done, they get flamed for not having a date.

People who actually rage about release dates or their non existence should take a break from the game and play something else. And people who lack patience shouldn´t touch early access at all.

Business communication courses are offered to assist professional development of IT workers. It's essential to prevent 'miscommunication' and understand the effects caused from poor communication skills. Communicating misinformation can harm a company's credibility to the point of affecting their bottom line. Learnt that on my D. Digital Interactive Gaming.

Never say "..I assure you.." and not follow through with it, it breeds mistrust with the stakeholders (early release owners).

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on info.

Did they really write "I assure you...", doesn't sound like words they would use, especially on a message-to-all post? Amyway. I prefer them making communication mistakes to them changing into marketing drones who learn how to talk much and say nothing.

I also would prefer them to still post approximate release dates even though I know they will always be broken. I still get valid information out of this: a lower limit of the release date.

My bet is early spring 2020, now days when they post a date or a possible date you may as well just add 6-12 months to that and then be prepared to wait another 3-6 months after that lol.

This could be the second patch that takes close to 2 years again IF you here the word "SOON" it will be within 3 months to a possible end of time release.

It's looking more and more unlikely for this month but very likely for next month but please realize that they will push it back all the way to Christmas if they feel they need to do so. You cannot rely on release estimates or think of them as promises no matter how much it may sound like a promise.

Or we can just assume TFP cannot estimate how long stuff takes. Delays and unforseen problem can occur of course, but if it happens every time, something else is off.

Did they ever release something when they said they would (without postponing it)?

- - - Updated - - -

People can forgive a delayed release. People will not forgive a bad release.

A17 had both..

Did they really write "I assure you...", doesn't sound like words they would use, especially on a message-to-all post? Amyway. I prefer them making communication mistakes to them changing into marketing drones who learn how to talk much and say nothing.

I also would prefer them to still post approximate release dates even though I know they will always be broken. I still get valid information out of this: a lower limit of the release date.

This was said in full - "Alpha 18 waits for noone or no feature. If a feature isn't ready it gets disabled. I can't give a release date but I can assure you its in the first half of 2019."

When it's released, it's released but marketing takes a big hit with negative experiences. "96% of unhappy customers won’t complain to you, but will tell 15 friends" - Reputation Refinery.

It's the beast of Early Release games, it give power to the stakeholders (end users) and it distracts the development of the games hence why near all early release games, fail, on top of a few other things.

Well - TFP is doing what they can, it'll be released when its released.

Too many people don't know or don't care about what went on between 16.4 and 17... Someone else care to chime in on that?!?

When my group got me started in 7 Days To Die - specifically my wife lol I rented a server for us. For about 2 years I carried the expense cause I wanted to play and wanted all of us to play this new and interesting game we all came to love. We started playing almost every single day for about a year. Then we wen't to once a week! This past year I asked them to help donate to the cause and sure enough they're carrying the cost - a years worth at a time. I have since put up a dedi in our computer room for just me and my wife lol

As for setting up a server for 'anyone' - I won't go there; and I won't do it. Plain and simple. Not mentioning the cost, but the work entailed!!! A few times I had to spend many hours fixing things to get us back up and running. Twice I had to spend hours to finally say "The server needs to be wiped..." I have a bit of a time since 'we' want Compo Pack and a few adjustments to stack size and a few other things 'we' want... So... There's no way I'm doing that for 'free' lol

Well - TFP is doing what they can, it'll be released when its released.

Too many people don't know or don't care about what went on between 16.4 and 17... Someone else care to chime in on that?!?

I will. TFP released A18 and got a fresh new batch of people to piss off.

I dont say that with malice, although it looks like I do. Thats because everyone who is fixated on the release date is going to be severely disappointed. And here is why:

I (after reading months of drama) am actually pretty OK with A17. For me it was only released a few months ago. Thats because I do not waste my time until TFP are done with the bug ridden versions they first release. I never touched 17.1 through 17.3. Its the same as purchasing a day-one xbox. It comes with hrdware problems, not enough memory, and has a great chance of getting recalled (or just breaking down). It costs twice as much as any later revision will cost (with better hardware). All for the sake of having it the very first day. And you end up being very angry.

Dont bother waiting for A18.1. Wait for A18.5. That release will be very more in tune with estimation, and comes without promise. If you fixate on the 'experimental' releases, you get to play for 3-4 weeks only to report how 'unplayable' A18 is, and get to wipe your game repeatedly until they stablilize it anyway.

I happily played A16.4 for an entire year without any drama. Mods kept the game going fresh for quite a while. A17.4 has been interesting. I have yet to mod it, and have probably a good 6-8 months before a playable A18 comes along, so I am very satisfied with the way TFP is going.

Perspective is everything.

Is there any sort of estimate on the release date of the experimental builds? I remember reading first half of 2019 was the expected release date. I don't mind waiting but it'd be easier to wait with a time frame in mind.

This is an easy one to answer. Estimate of release date always depends on which part of the year it is, so back in first half of 2019, it was estimated that it will be out by the end of the first half of the year. Now we are in the second half, so it's estimated that it will be out by the end of the year and next year you will start again with the first half and so on...

I once worked on a team of about a dozen developers on a product. Management mandated an unrealistic release date. We told management, no, that just can't be done. There was too much work and too much that needed to be done to meet that release date. It just wasn't possible.

Management said, yes, you will get it done because we said so. So they had us working overtime and weekends, and they even cancelled vacations (which really p*ssed off a lot of people - never do that to your employees). We busted our butts. We logged bloody hours and hours. And while we had a product ready to deliver by the deadline, it was buggy as hell. And we told management that. Look, says us, it is not ready, it will cause problems. They didn't listen, and they released it.

It was a disaster. The product was so buggy they had to recall it within a week. And, typically, management blamed us for this failure.

TFP, PLEASE DON'T RELEASE A18 UNTIL IT IS READY! I can wait until next year.

~ Unnamed plane manufacturer

I dont say that with malice, although it looks like I do. Thats because everyone who is fixated on the release date is going to be severely disappointed. And here is why:

I (after reading months of drama) am actually pretty OK with A17. For me it was only released a few months ago. Thats because I do not waste my time until TFP are done with the bug ridden versions they first release. I never touched 17.1 through 17.3. Its the same as purchasing a day-one xbox. It comes with hrdware problems, not enough memory, and has a great chance of getting recalled (or just breaking down). It costs twice as much as any later revision will cost (with better hardware). All for the sake of having it the very first day. And you end up being very angry.

Dont bother waiting for A18.1. Wait for A18.5. That release will be very more in tune with estimation, and comes without promise. If you fixate on the 'experimental' releases, you get to play for 3-4 weeks only to report how 'unplayable' A18 is, and get to wipe your game repeatedly until they stablilize it anyway.

I happily played A16.4 for an entire year without any drama. Mods kept the game going fresh for quite a while. A17.4 has been interesting. I have yet to mod it, and have probably a good 6-8 months before a playable A18 comes along, so I am very satisfied with the way TFP is going.

This is a very very very wise individual.

An UnHipster Award for you, sir. :)

We should all be looking toward a hopeful 18.5 Christmas and just ignore everything until then.

#earlyadoptersufferingisreal

This is a very very very wise individual.

An UnHipster Award for you, sir. :)

We should all be looking toward a hopeful 18.5 Christmas and just ignore everything until then.

#earlyadoptersufferingisreal

I sort of do that - all my .0 and .1 games (at least, depends on each Alpha), are sped up "test games", with much shortened XP, tonnes of perk points per levels etc etc, where I test out what skills I want, the sorts of bases I build etc etc. It's .2 at least, and often .3 before I play "the long game".

If I don't play, I have no way to correct mistakes I want to see gone in the future.

Granted, they have been rather... neglecting with fan feedback in A17 and "dying on that hill" will forever be engrained for me when I head A17. But someone has to do it.

I bought an EA title to help its development. To help steer it in the "right" direction, or what I percieve it to be.

So yeah... That Cheese Cracker that you love so much... there were labs producing ♥♥♥♥ crackers, and someone had to try them and give feedback on how ♥♥♥♥ty they were before they were finally edible.

I am a hero ;) A man who sacrifices himself for the greater good!

also I am really impatient and am addicted to 7d2d, so when a new patch comes out its like a new dose of heroin... I must at least TRY it :D

Archived