computer shut off while playing, game reset to start upon return

Wigbert

You know how I love restarting a game.

Was wondering if there ever was a solution for this.

Other nice ideas.

Automatically saving a backup upon start of the game would be a nice feature.

Along with having the game start up as paused so the clock does not start ticking until you are ready to play.

You know what would be even better? Not having a computer that crashes whenever you stress it out like playing a game, so let's figure out a way to prevent that instead of finding ways to work around the problem.

- Is your computer overheating? If you're using a pre-built system or built a system but still used the junk coolers that come with the CPU, then odds are, you're overheating at least to some degree.

- Have you done a free "memtest86" test recently to make sure your ram is stable and working as it should?

- Have you been overclocking at all? Maybe dial it back a bit if you have.

- Are you playing on HDD or SSD? If HDD, maybe do a scan to make sure there's no hard drive corruption happening causing OS instability.

Besides, creating a backup copy of save files would create a lot of game lag, especially if playing on HDD. Also, pausing the game isn't an option since the game is built around multiplayer in mind.

The Sticky FAQ thread has a possible method for restoring a save that gets corrupted in this fashion.

I'm going to assume the issue is that the power went out. If that's not the issue, then you really need to solve the sudden shutdown problem first.

No... my problem definitely is I need more RAM. I am upgrading to 16GB as of tomorrow.

I am well familiar with the limitations of this computer I have built from scratch.

As for game pausing and backup saves, I was just thinking out loud .. in text... uh yeah... anyway....

Thanks for the tips. Overheating as you know is probably the number one cause of computers shutting off, blue screen and freezing. People should blow the dust out of their PCs every month.

- - - Updated - - -

The Sticky FAQ thread has a possible method for restoring a save that gets corrupted in this fashion.

I'm going to assume the issue is that the power went out. If that's not the issue, then you really need to solve the sudden shutdown problem first.

Did I not read the FAQ in it's entirety? Oops.

Thanks I will read that.

While that may be one of your problems, a lack of ram won't cause a computer shutdown.

Let me back up a bit. I was asking about recovering saves. Not why the computer shut off. I know why it shut off. Computer went to a gray screen. Could not get video to work again. Had to push the button for a shutdown without a monitor. Probably need to blow the dust out of the video card again.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. No need to panic. In 7 days to die Starting over is still great fun. and it keeps getting better with every update in my opinion.

The other common issue is a failing PSU. This game stresses your system like no other, and commonly finds the weak spots in hardware.

Entirely possible. I would expect it to have rebooted itself in that instance, not present a grey screen that had to be hard reboot.

Entirely possible. I would expect it to have rebooted itself in that instance, not present a grey screen that had to be hard reboot.

I've seen it do both. I've also seen hardware smoke and pop because of PSU issues. PSU issues can cause all kinds of results.

The only PSU brand worth buying, everything else is trash.

I wouldn't go that far, and you'll pay almost double for one. The award for best overall tends to be Corsair, which only has a slightly shorter warranty, and is almost half the price for nearly the same quality. With Seaonic, you're paying for the flashy features. Though they are nice, they don't make it operate significantly better.

I wouldn't go that far, and you'll pay almost double for one. The award for best overall tends to be Corsair, which only has a slightly shorter warranty, and is almost half the price for nearly the same quality. With Seaonic, you're paying for the flashy features. Though they are nice, they don't make it operate significantly better.

Seasonic is an OEM.

Corsair, Antec etc are not.

Depending what model of corsair you buy it may be a seasonic with cheaper components or some other OEM.

You should always check who really makes your PSU so you dont get crap componentry.

http://www.orionpsudb.com/platforms

The only PSU brand worth buying, everything else is trash.

I don't know about that... EVGA ha been impressing me with their PSUs every time I work with them. They are expensive though, but oh so worth it in my opinion. Maybe Seasonic are awesome too, I don't know, but I definitely have nothing bad to say about EVGA yet.

Corsair on the other hand... I've been getting some bad luck with them lately.

I don't know about that... EVGA ha been impressing me with their PSUs every time I work with them. They are expensive though, but oh so worth it in my opinion. Maybe Seasonic are awesome too, I don't know, but I definitely have nothing bad to say about EVGA yet.

Corsair on the other hand... I've been getting some bad luck with them lately.

One of my mates works in one of the largest computer stores in AUS.

Corsair PSU's flood the warranty dept.

EVGA's are mostly made by HEC and a couple other OEM's.

The EVGA Supernova GS PS is made by Seasonic.

http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

I recently bought a Corsair RM750x, primarily because of the ten year warranty. You guys are making me have 2nd thoughts...

The issue with Corsair, is that most people go cheap and buy bronze. Bronze level units fail pretty regularly. If you get gold or higher, it's not a problem. This is a fact that is commonly left out of the types of information similar to what DUST2DEATH provided above.

The issue with Corsair, is that most people go cheap and buy bronze. Bronze level units fail pretty regularly. If you get gold or higher, it's not a problem. This is a fact that is commonly left out of the types of information similar to what DUST2DEATH provided above.

Good to know, thanks SylenThunder.

Pretty much.

You never want to skimp on the PSU.

It powers all your components.

A good PSU if it fails will generally kill itself.

A bad PSU if it fails will kill your Mobo/CPU etc.

Archived