That Other Week Madmole Went Away

Onarr

@madmole @TFP

Could you guys please add in a setting to stop zombies from digging?

Or have them dig only on BM, so people can turn it off that way?

I love the zombies digging. I felt the BM horde was incomplete in A16 without it. I lost interest in A16 because of the lack of it. In general, I don't want any day 1, or even week 1 methods that allow me to be 100% safe. In fact, I wouldn't want that moment ever... at least during BM. Maybe sometimes I would... but if I did, then I would just play a BM-less game because it defeats the purpose of having it on in the first place.

There are other issues with BM that I still dislike and not getting into that, but I can't even have a serious discussion with people about potential features that can make the tower defense aspect of the game during BM feature-complete without a horde of people referencing the digging zombies ruining their "relaxing mining".

In fear of losing even more happy-relax-mining time, the next argument is always, "if you don't like said methods, then don't use them". I have used the analogy that it's like playing rock, paper, scissors and you include a new item "cheese." Cheese beats rock, beats paper, and beats scissors. If you were to play this game, you would be pretty dumb not to use cheese. So not using cheese... aka, not using these methods, feels like I'm being dumb no matter how much I try to pretend or try to role-play it away.

I know you've already provided an option to make things easier on people with off switch for the BM, but if you could also squeeze in an off switch for the digging, then the people who want it easier get their way... and even though I wouldn't have my way, perhaps I can dream about it in peace.

The Demolisher will help a little. So looking forward to it.

That’s a hard sell, asking for a feature you wouldn’t use yourself. No digging would make the game easier, but not in a balanced way. It would be like an option where zombies don’t do block damage in the forest biome, or zombies can’t damage painted blocks. The only difference is where the exploitable unbalanced part occurs.

That’s a hard sell, asking for a feature you wouldn’t use yourself. No digging would make the game easier, but not in a balanced way. It would be like an option where zombies don’t do block damage in the forest biome, or zombies can’t damage painted blocks. The only difference is where the exploitable unbalanced part occurs.

I doubt anyway that it would be possible to disable the digging separately as it is part of the pathfinding.

It would be a easier solution to give the player the possibility to hide better or to be very quiet in general. Similar to the current Stealth Perks but even more effective. The FunPimps could e.g. make a mod for the shovel, the pickaxe and the auger which reduces the noise so that a zombie can only hear you if you work 10m away from him. Currently, a zombie hears you at a distance of 30-35m according to what I read.

An appropriate mod that could be added to the tools would fit into the concept of the game and help players who feel bothered by digging zombies. I would be happy about a corresponding mod because these digging zombies also bother me. Yesterday in my oil shale mine I had for example a wandering horde in the mine.

Something else that would help players would be a mobile defense. I hope I can use the junk turret to do that.

It seems the bug is because for the Claim Duration setting it doesn't seem to matter if the server is running or not. This is the case for multiplayer as well as singleplayer.

I play on singleplayer and also had the problem at the beginning but since I set the Claim Duration to 10 days and start the game at least once a week the bug didn't occur anymore. You can find the Claim Duration in the multiplayer section of the settings.

i have had this problem several times and i had set the duration to 10 days. yet it still happened in 17 to 17.3 and the bug reported in the bug section several times too. BUT i must say that in 17.4 it has not happened again.

Actually, I do have some background related to this. I have masters degree in computer science and work as software analyst (essentialy I design information systems). There is overlap in my skills and skills of a game designer. Also I currently deveop a gamified mobile application for my PHD thesis.

I also have a master's in computer science, and the 50 people in my department have them as well. None of them could design a "successful" game. Just because you can speak to the big O notation of sorting a linked list vs a binary tree does not mean you have good ideas. Simply means you understand the tools that other people use to create good games. I have managed a team of developers for an enterprise level SLA system responsible for millions of transactions a second. The lead coder developed the online EA statics software for their sports game and was one of the most brilliant coders I have met. He would have been terrible at making a game.

Until I see you start a game design company where I can see you actively fielding questions about a game you are designing then you just don't carry the same weight as the TFP developers. Not an ego thing. You are just a regular player like the rest of us who doesn't have insight into the full design picture.

Yeah. Just looking for ways to justify asking for a more complete TD BM. I feel like there is myself and just a couple others who are bothered by how it is so easily survived. Everyone else seems to fight me on it, as if it would affect them when they either turn it off completely or turn it off when it gets too hard for them.

You're complaining? Doesn't that make your job a bit easier? :-)

No way. I had to sift through a week's worth of postings so that Madmole's serving of Ketchup would be manageable enough that he would actually answer the serious questions asked instead of just skipping past the whole thing and starting with yesterday...

Archived