That Other Week Madmole Went Away

Onarr

Check out the movie "It Stains the Sands Red" it did a pretty good job on the relentless chase part.

Yes. It is a good example for the other viewpoint as well, since the movie had to isolate the human from anything useful to make the zombie dangerous. Reminds me of teen-horror movies where the victims always have to drop any weapon after one use for plot reasons.

That bicycle you're talking about is Made in China right?

Never in my whole life have I had to change gears, chain or wires. and tires every 5/7 years(always used patches).

You will when the streets are overgrown with moss or dirt or littered with cracks. Would be interesting to see how much is left of the streets after a few years of absolute neglect. Each year trees will drop leafs on the surface, decomposing and building up to a dirt layer where grass can grow. Until the first bushes and trees gain a foothold and their roots break through the asphalt. Long before this the street becomes unusable for bikes.

You will when the streets are overgrown with moss or dirt or littered with cracks. Would be interesting to see how much is left of the streets after a few years of absolute neglect. Each year trees will drop leafs on the surface, decomposing and building up to a dirt layer where grass can grow. Until the first bushes and trees gain a foothold and their roots break through the asphalt. Long before this the street becomes unusable for bikes.

You can take a tour of Pripyat if you really want to know. :-)

818.jpg?1499335579

These posts about MTBU(Mean Time Between Updates) are worse than useless.

Are you having fun playing the game?

If yes, great. Have fun and report any bugs you come across. Post ideas you have that might improve the game. Maybe the dev's will agree.

If not and you have suggestions on what would make it fun, post them. Maybe the dev's will agree.

Only here to gripe about how TFP runs THEIR business and how they choose to handle THEIR development cycle? Shut up and play the game or find some other game, whichever.

I don't think any discussion is ever pointless. Sure, the pimps have no obligation to listen to their fans, but it's a terrible business idea to do that. Remember when EA said those complaining about Battlefield 5 are uneducated and told their fans not to buy the game if they don't like it?

The fans actually listened and didn't buy it.

If yes, great. Have fun and report any bugs you come across. Post ideas you have that might improve the game. Maybe the dev's will agree.

If not and you have suggestions on what would make it fun, post them. Maybe the dev's will agree.

Only here to gripe about how TFP runs THEIR business and how they choose to handle THEIR development cycle? Shut up and play the game or find some other game, whichever.

If MTBU-related posts are worse than useless, how would you classify posts about posts about MTBU..?

Don't you think neutral concerns regarding development have a place here? Mind you; all I'm saying is (or at least, I'm trying to say) 'does anyone else share concerns regarding the way A18 is apparently being released, keeping the way A17 was released in the back of your mind'. In my mind that is diametrically opposed to 'please release now!'. Whether that leads to any changes is beside the point.

There are some abandoned places that can be visited and where you can see how quickly these places decay. Another example is the island of Hashima. It was abandoned in 1974.

I do a lot of cycling, 300+ km per week. I have to rip out my entire drive-chain every six months and replace the brake blocks every 4-6 weeks (depending on weather).

You might want to switch to consumer brands. They are more durable than pro equipment in this case, as the pro stuff is made for regular maintenance and max performance, consumer products for longevity.

I haven't changed a single bit on my bike in the past twenty years, apart from the brakes, the rubber on my handlebars and the back tire on occasion. And one ripped chain, which I could repair easily. I ride about 12km a day.

You might want to switch to consumer brands. They are more durable than pro equipment in this case, as the pro stuff is made for regular maintenance and max performance, consumer products for longevity.

I haven't changed a single bit on my bike in the past twenty years, apart from the brakes, the rubber on my handlebars and the back tire on occasion. And one ripped chain, which I could repair easily. I ride about 12km a day.

I don't use the pro stuff, it gets too expensive. I'm usually carrying quite a bit of weight on the back, custom built pannier, which will account for a lot of the extra wear and tear. I'm also not gentle at all with machinery which will account for the rest.

You say "traffic calming measures" I say "mini-ramps and slaloms" :-)

The naysayers don’t like to count the tenths as “real” updates. And regardless there have been delays in the past no matter how you slice it :)

I would think it is meant as from .0 to .0 updates. (A15.0>A16.0>A17.0...)

Speaking of updates...where is our new Madmole Avatar? From what I understood A17.4 is last update for the A17 version. Madmole usually adds a new avatar for each new Alpha doesn't he. I feel cheated :(

818.jpg?1499335579

I hope at some point they can get the roads similar to this, either in this game, or their next.

Edit: I guess I should say in the same vein of being overgrown.

I hope at some point they can get the roads similar to this, either in this game, or their next.

Edit: I guess I should say in the same vein of being overgrown.

I have applied that in Nitrogen, keeping the roads have overgrown/sandy patches, so it looks more run down... in correlation with the run down POIs.

roadspots.jpg

hiking_trails_1.jpg

I have applied that in Nitrogen, keeping the roads have overgrown/sandy patches, so it looks more run down... in correlation with the run down POIs.

roadspots.jpg

hiking_trails_1.jpg

Nice work on the country roads! err hiking trails, spot on for what I like. Very nice!

Think it needs to be a bit more aggressive for the town/city hub roads (imo).

Nice work on the country roads! err hiking trails, spot on for what I like. Very nice!

Think it needs to be a bit more aggressive for the town/city hub roads (imo).

I will push that damage-value into a config later, so everyone can set their own "Pripyat road style".

No. But that is because I am eagerly waiting for A18. I would not want to be jaded when it comes out, everyone needs a little want to make it that much better :D

- - - Updated - - -

Well.. I don't think they posted the wording with ambiguity.. At least not on purpose.

I'm fully under the impression that the 3-months thing meant that they wanted to put out new Alpha versions/updates every 3 months (which might be doable.. in the past they had a new version every 4 months I think?).

I think people are using the point-update/patch schedule to validate this 3-month thing.. So technically they're right, and they get a nice sticker for that! ^-^

They were not ambiguous IMO. They were actually pretty specific as 17.1 and 17.2 are, indeed, different builds.

I think the confusion comes in because no matter how specific they are we are not programmers for the most part and industry specific terms are not well understood by everyone.

I started a new game and found myself in the burnt forest. I made my way out to the pine forest. But I ended up killing two vultures, six wolves and a few dozen zombies before nightfall. It was crazy. lol

Spent most of the night in a rangers station, organizing and cracking a safe. Then made a shovel and went out while it was still dark to see how many zombie mouths I could shove my stone shovel into. ;)

Things seemed to calm down after the first day though.

The funniest part is killing that one wolf with a rifle. The thing seemed to flip over in a rag roll.

@madmole @TFP

Could you guys please add in a setting to stop zombies from digging?

Or have them dig only on BM, so people can turn it off that way?

I love the zombies digging. I felt the BM horde was incomplete in A16 without it. I lost interest in A16 because of the lack of it. In general, I don't want any day 1, or even week 1 methods that allow me to be 100% safe. In fact, I wouldn't want that moment ever... at least during BM. Maybe sometimes I would... but if I did, then I would just play a BM-less game because it defeats the purpose of having it on in the first place.

There are other issues with BM that I still dislike and not getting into that, but I can't even have a serious discussion with people about potential features that can make the tower defense aspect of the game during BM feature-complete without a horde of people referencing the digging zombies ruining their "relaxing mining".

In fear of losing even more happy-relax-mining time, the next argument is always, "if you don't like said methods, then don't use them". I have used the analogy that it's like playing rock, paper, scissors and you include a new item "cheese." Cheese beats rock, beats paper, and beats scissors. If you were to play this game, you would be pretty dumb not to use cheese. So not using cheese... aka, not using these methods, feels like I'm being dumb no matter how much I try to pretend or try to role-play it away.

I know you've already provided an option to make things easier on people with off switch for the BM, but if you could also squeeze in an off switch for the digging, then the people who want it easier get their way... and even though I wouldn't have my way, perhaps I can dream about it in peace.

The Demolisher will help a little. So looking forward to it.

Agreed, the tool is amazing. Damocles, you are THE man.

RWG is my biggest issue with A17, even after the improvements. Damocles saved me from shelving the game until A18.

Thank you Damocles.

Same here, we were considering taking a break on our server, nitrogen popped up at exactly the right time :) it has its own shortcomings, yet the maps are very satisfying and straight out picturesque at times

The naysayers don’t like to count the tenths as “real” updates. And regardless there have been delays in the past no matter how you slice it :)

And these tenths, being counted towards that 3-month release schedule are driving away every single player who isn't belonging to the most hardcore crowd.

I've played the game with 6 IRL friends.

None of them bothers with the game anymore, because release is nowhere near the bearable future and constant wipes and starting over and over isn't that fun, especially if you have to do it for the smallest updates, because if you don't, the game will pull itself inside out, especially if you play on RWG.

It was fun first 100 times.

Now its just tiresome.

Why won't they focus and polish RWG and perks to the point, where its not mandatory to reset world all the time and just add remaining minor gimmicky stuff like new weapons, mods and what not as non world breaking updates is incomprehensible to me.

However, the main issue seems to be with the sloppy development that lacks any kind of direction and focus - the game doesn't go in one direction, its all over the place last few alphas with constant delays and "eureka, lets add this now" moments, no wonder it takes one eternity to progress.

(and yes, I'm slowly beginning to be slightly salty)

And these tenths, being counted towards that 3-month release schedule are driving away every single player who isn't belonging to the most hardcore crowd.

None of them bothers with the game anymore, because release is nowhere near the bearable future and constant wipes and starting over and over isn't that fun, especially if you have to do it for the smallest updates, because if you don't, the game will pull itself inside out, especially if you play on RWG.

Now its just tiresome.

Why won't they focus and polish RWG and perks to the point, where its not mandatory to reset world all the time and just add remaining minor gimmicky stuff like new weapons, mods and what not as non world breaking updates is incomprehensible to me.

However, the main issue seems to be with the sloppy development that lacks any kind of direction and focus - the game doesn't go in one direction, its all over the place last few alphas with constant delays and "eureka, lets add this now" moments, no wonder it takes one eternity to progress.

I dont think I had to restart my world for the tenth updates, at least on single player.

I do agree to certain degree that the development strays from its original vision, but that is not neccesserily a bad thing. Experimenting with different things and finding out what works is part of creative process. I am however afraid that the core gameplay suffers. For a survival game, there is really no survival challenge. Rather than bandits and quests, I would be happy if they focused on providing more incentives for building, cooking, crafting, farming etc. Right now, this game changed into RPG looter. Survival and base building aspects suffered a great deal over last few alphas. Even through we have much more building options, we really do not have reasons to use them. And survival challenges are pretty much solved on day one and they become mere nuisance.

Sloppy development?? Have you some inside information we don't know from the dev team to support such an accusation?

From what I can see (and "educately guess") about the content they release with each update they aren't "sloppy" at all. Anyone with some intellectual honesty can see that. So... yes, you're being salty and also disrespectful of the devs hard work.

Also what you see as chaos I see as dedication to a vision... trying to make the best game "they (and us players) would like to play", this has been explained thousands of times but apparently everyone wants to tell TFP how and at what pace make their own game, right?

I normally write on Steam and the ones there who bash the devs and the game are ALWAYS the ones that had "a plan" of their own for the game and since TFP changed it in a way they don't like they're whining and stomping their feet and throwing tantrums.

"I WANT LDB BACK! IT WAS GREAT CRAFTING 1K AXES TO LEARN LIKE IN REAL LIFE!!" WHAAA!

"GAME'S TOO HARD!!" WHAAA!

"GAMES TOO EASY, IT'S A JOKE!!" WHAAAA!

"PvP IS HORRIBLE, ALL MY FRIENDS LEFT!!! WHAAA!

"PERFORMANCE IS HORRIBLE! I CAN'T PLAY ON MY LAPTOP!!" WHAAA!

:rant::blah::argue:

Just stop it and let the devs do their magic ffs!

From what I can see (and "educately guess") about the content they release with each update they aren't "sloppy" at all. Anyone with some intellectual honesty can see that. So... yes, you're being salty and also disrespectful of the devs hard work.

Also what you see as chaos I see as dedication to a vision... trying to make the best game "they (and us players) would like to play", this has been explained thousands of times but apparently everyone wants to tell TFP how and at what pace make their own game, right?

I normally write on Steam and the ones there who bash the devs and the game are ALWAYS the ones that had "a plan" of their own for the game and since TFP changed it in a way they don't like they're whining and stomping their feet and throwing tantrums.

"I WANT LDB BACK! IT WAS GREAT CRAFTING 1K AXES TO LEARN LIKE IN REAL LIFE!!" WHAAA!

"GAME'S TOO HARD!!" WHAAA!

"GAMES TOO EASY, IT'S A JOKE!!" WHAAAA!

"PvP IS HORRIBLE, ALL MY FRIENDS LEFT!!! WHAAA!

"PERFORMANCE IS HORRIBLE! I CAN'T PLAY ON MY LAPTOP!!" WHAAA!

Honestly, you sound like a white knight and he clearly stated who he is talking about

And I actually agree with him because I'm exactly that guy who casually plays 7DTD and I also have friends who've become less interested in this game over time because of long periods of time between alphas. I'm not saying this game is boring or anything, it's just what I observed personally.

Just stop it and let the devs do their magic ffs!

Anyway, hopefully their "magic" won't be akin to Bioware magic.

Honestly, you sound like a white knight and he clearly stated who he is talking about

And I actually agree with him because I'm exactly that guy who casually plays 7DTD and I also have friends who've become less interested in this game over time because of long periods of time between alphas. I'm not saying this game is boring or anything, it's just what I observed personally.

Anyway, hopefully their "magic" won't be akin to Bioware magic.

Anyone with no valid arguments starts using words like "white knight" or "fanboy", congrats, you just joined that club.

Also game development schedule of an EA title like this shouldn't be held hostage to player statistics: they've got plenty of money to go on and new players buy the game after each patch/sale, so if some people stop playing because whatever... well, "bye bye", more will come or some will come back later if they change their mind.

Also no one is "forced" to change version between updates and wipe everything, there's people out there still playing (e.g.) A16.4 with their friends you know?

Now its just tiresome.

Well, but if they put out releases faster you would have to restart more often, you can't have both. Did you always restart for point releases? For one thing the older point releases of the game are still available, no need to change if you don't want to. And I have been upgrading point releases on existing game worlds and usually could continue, in A17 more than in A16. TFP says to upgrade and start a new game so you can reports bugs. If you don't want to report bugs why do you?

They did in A17. The new RWG is actually much better able to support for games to continue. While I had issues continuing games in A16 (like huge walls created in parts of the worlds I didn't explore yet) this is not happening in A17 anymore. I also had issues in A16 when blocks or items got new id numbers in point releases, another problem that will not happen in A17.

Do you have a 17.x world you want to continue in A17.4 ? Try it, chances that it works should be quite high.

So what would these friends be doing right now if the game had released an alpha every month or so for 2 or 3 years and then went Gold? There would be no updates now. Would they have gotten bored and moved on? If no, whats the difference? Why would delays between alphas be bad but no updates because the game is finished not be? It really sounds like Alpha just isn't their thing. Which isn't a knock on them. It's just not for everybody.

Archived