That Other Week Madmole Went Away

Onarr

I mean, adding the mechanic of sticky weapons would take a lot of balancing and animation work, and you'd need to figure out when it's appropriate to get them stuck, but for the purposes of a crappy mod, a pickaxe stuck in a zombie only needs to be different from an arrow stuck only in a zombie in that it has a different model.

Those two things are in no way comparable. One is a projectile and the other is a handheld tool. I doubt they share much code aside from "can be in inventory".

You can run away pretty easily tho!

You must rest at some point, the zombies never do.

Let's assume a shambling zombie horde travels at two miles an hour. To get a full eight hours sleep you must get sixteen miles ahead of the horde, assuming you can go from running to sleeping instantly. What's more likely is that you'll need around twenty miles head start.

The Roman army generally traveled eight hours a day, about thirty miles, which is quite an effort after the first few days. You don't really get the time to properly rest your legs. The horde will be traveling around fifty miles a day. You think you can do around fifty miles a day indefinitely to stay ahead of the horde?

The fear from zombies is not that they're dangerous individually, it's that they're tireless and relentless. They never get tired, never get bored, never stop. Not really something that can be done easily in film and something that is even harder to make into a fun game.

Let's assume a shambling zombie horde travels at two miles an hour. To get a full eight hours sleep you must get sixteen miles ahead of the horde, assuming you can go from running to sleeping instantly. What's more likely is that you'll need around twenty miles head start.

The Roman army generally traveled eight hours a day, about thirty miles, which is quite an effort after the first few days. You don't really get the time to properly rest your legs. The horde will be traveling around fifty miles a day. You think you can do around fifty miles a day indefinitely to stay ahead of the horde?

The fear from zombies is not that they're dangerous individually, it's that they're tireless and relentless. They never get tired, never get bored, never stop. Not really something that can be done easily in film and something that is even harder to make into a fun game.

Internacional units would help :'( Majority of this forum has to google it :D

Well, unless they are smart (and stereotypical zombie is just as dumb as it is slow), you can get away and hide. Also you can use vehicles and barrier. And we originally talked about single zombie, didn't we? Would be possible with Horde, too. Just not so easy. Tho you can overpower single zombie.

<snipped for space>

Apologies, I learned time/distance on foot from the British military who in turn learned it from the Romans. The horrible thing is the maths is slightly easier in kilometres, it's around five kilometres per hour :-)

Zombies are rarely, if ever, depicted as an individual threat. Part of the threat is that they're swarming you with huge numbers. Sure, you can hide but one morning you're going to wake up surrounded by the undead.

Be careful now. “must rest” means “running out of stamina” which we all know now thanks to A17 feedback is just devs punishing players for no good cause.

Beat me, punish me, and make me sweat. I long to feel the suffering...

Hard to believe but it’s been nearly a year and a half since our last major update. That said, this has been our longest and largest update so far. On top of that, it’s the biggest content drop we’ve ever done. In the future, you can expect shorter 3 month build cycles as we have done all the heavy framework changes we wanted to do in this build.

Knew i saw it somewhere

Hard to believe but it’s been nearly a year and a half since our last major update. That said, this has been our longest and largest update so far. On top of that, it’s the biggest content drop we’ve ever done. In the future, you can expect shorter 3 month build cycles as we have done all the heavy framework changes we wanted to do in this build.

Knew i saw it somewhere

Your point?

That assumes that they are hordes zeds and know where you (and just you) are. You don't need to get ahead 10 miles you only need to get ahead by .5 a mile. Or, find anything enclosed. Anything.

And Decker comes up with problem number 2 :D

He’s showing everyone an example of when the developers made a projected release schedule that they were ultimately unable to fulfill. It’s not that uncommon of a find, to be honest.

Haven't they though?

A17.0 ~12/22

A17.1 ~01/18

A17.2 ~02/27

A17.3 ~5/14

A17.4 ~less than a month ago

All of these builds have been less than 3 months apart. I think they've exceeded fulfillment on that statement.

He’s showing everyone an example of when the developers made a projected release schedule that they were ultimately unable to fulfill. It’s not that uncommon of a find, to be honest.

Yeah I would have been more surprised if they did release it within their own set schedule...

I'm a bit worried that they will keep on postponing A18. For now 'July is not off the table' of course, but in TFP-talk that could easily mean 'October'. Yes, A18 will be full of content. But to release another major update after a long time without public builds in between to test parts of this content.. I see similarities to A17.

- - - Updated - - -

The naysayers don’t like to count the tenths as “real” updates. And regardless there have been delays in the past no matter how you slice it :)

Point-updates/patches are not the same as Alpha cycle-updates. Hence the decimal points.

Check out the movie "It Stains the Sands Red" it did a pretty good job on the relentless chase part.

Point-updates/patches are not the same as Alpha cycle-updates. Hence the decimal points.

When I read that, I wasn't thinking of it that way. Especially since they'be been labeling alphas with build numbers. A17.2 B27 for example.

I also just would never believe entire new alpha versions every 3 months. If they ever did that, each alpha would just be insignificant.

A17.1 would simply have been called A18. A17.2 would be A19. We would be at A21 right now.

Perhaps they worded the posting with ambiguity an purpose?

Your benchmark is the Roman army, of all things? We have vehicles! The Romans weren't scavenging gasoline in the post apocalypse. Besides which, the balance of this game should not be derived from real life calculations.

This reminds me of the previous digression on longbow stats versus crossbow stats... It's interesting to history buffs perhaps, but not necessarily in line with game design goals.

I think a good approach in these decisions is to make things accurate in relative, rather than absolute terms. E.g. so long as a bigger tree gives more wood than a smaller tree, the game 'gets the right idea' and the exact numbers can be scaled for what's fun. Similarly, I would decide whether it's more fun for zombies to be slower or faster than players, and dial it in from there.

I think a good approach in these decisions is to make things accurate in relative, rather than absolute terms. E.g. so long as a bigger tree gives more wood than a smaller tree, the game 'gets the right idea' and the exact numbers can be scaled for what's fun. Similarly, I would decide whether it's more fun for zombies to be slower or faster than players, and dial it in from there.

I couldn't agree more, games need relative realism, not absolute realism.

That said, I wish the threat from zombies were their relentless method of operation, combined with enormous numbers, but unfortunately, being in Unity probably scotches the second half of that.

When I read that, I wasn't thinking of it that way. Especially since they'be been labeling alphas with build numbers. A17.2 B27 for example.

I also just would never believe entire new alpha versions every 3 months. If they ever did that, each alpha would just be insignificant.

A17.1 would simply have been called A18. A17.2 would be A19. We would be at A21 right now.

Perhaps they worded the posting with ambiguity an purpose?

Well.. I don't think they posted the wording with ambiguity.. At least not on purpose.

I'm fully under the impression that the 3-months thing meant that they wanted to put out new Alpha versions/updates every 3 months (which might be doable.. in the past they had a new version every 4 months I think?).

I think people are using the point-update/patch schedule to validate this 3-month thing.. So technically they're right, and they get a nice sticker for that! ^-^

<snipped for space>

Did you miss the last line of my post when I pointed out that although accurate it doesn't make for a good game mechanic?

The Roman's were the first to standardize an army although the same algorithm is used by modern infantry. If you're in Europe you'll find the cities and castles are often around thirty miles apart, that was because of the same calculation.

When it comes to vehicles you have until the gasoline deteriorates before motorized transport become useless. With bicycles you'll need to find a steady supply of fresh tyres, chains, gear-cassettes and cables. Your best option will probably be horses after the first year or so.

Did you miss the last line of my post when I pointed out that although accurate it doesn't make for a good game mechanic?

The Roman's were the first to standardize an army although the same algorithm is used by modern infantry. If you're in Europe you'll find the cities and castles are often around thirty miles apart, that was because of the same calculation.

When it comes to vehicles you have until the gasoline deteriorates before motorized transport become useless. With bicycles you'll need to find a steady supply of fresh tyres, chains, gear-cassettes and cables. Your best option will probably be horses after the first year or so.

That bicycle you're talking about is Made in China right?

Never in my whole life have I had to change gears, chain or wires. and tires every 5/7 years(always used patches).

That bicycle you're talking about is Made in China right?

Never in my whole life have I had to change gears, chain or wires. and tires every 5/7 years(always used patches).

I do a lot of cycling, 300+ km per week. I have to rip out my entire drive-chain every six months and replace the brake blocks every 4-6 weeks (depending on weather).

Haven't they though?

A17.0 ~12/22

A17.1 ~01/18

A17.2 ~02/27

A17.3 ~5/14

A17.4 ~less than a month ago

All of these builds have been less than 3 months apart. I think they've exceeded fulfillment on that statement.

Without being rude, those builds felt more like a bug gathering than actual improvements. Look at the patch notes...the known issues section is bigger with every update...

These posts about MTBU(Mean Time Between Updates) are worse than useless.

Are you having fun playing the game?

If yes, great. Have fun and report any bugs you come across. Post ideas you have that might improve the game. Maybe the dev's will agree.

If not and you have suggestions on what would make it fun, post them. Maybe the dev's will agree.

Only here to gripe about how TFP runs THEIR business and how they choose to handle THEIR development cycle? Shut up and play the game or find some other game, whichever.

Archived