That Other Week Madmole Went Away

Onarr

You do have the choice. You can still use a shovel as a spear but you can’t throw it and its stats vs entities will not be as good as an actual spear of the same tier and quality.

But you are certainly not forced to not use a shovel. There won’t be a trader protection invulnerability ping whenever trying to hit a zombie with a tool.

So sure if it is all you have to hand you can pick it up and use it. Damage will occur.

Plus I’m sure you can go into the xml and make some edits that would make the shovel your own personal Spear of Perseus.

Tools can be used effectively as weapons.

For short period of time only.

The stamina drain on using a tool as a weapon instead of its intended purpose would be incredible...

Try spearing somebody in the face over and over again with a shovel. Your triceps will melt.

Tools can be used effectively as weapons.

For short period of time only.

The stamina drain on using a tool as a weapon instead of its intended purpose would be incredible...

Try spearing somebody in the face over and over again with a shovel. Your triceps will melt.

That's why I can't wait for legendary items. Any item you can swing with, even a shovel, can be made into an awesome weapon. Imagine coming across a legendary claw hammer that has way better damage than the club you are using and has half the stamina penalty. These would have a proper power swing too, not the repair right-click.

I still think that the pickaxe should, technically speaking, be the ultimate melee weapon or at least on-par with the sledgehammer. It's for cracking rocks! It should cleave through a squishy zombie skull without any effort.

...and get stuck because it's meant to go through rocks. And the extra stamina for aiming at a 6' high head instead of gravity helping it.

Since we have sticky arrows, I doesn't sound like it would be that hard to have pickaxes get stuck in zombies for a mod.

This is just rather funny. From a programming standpoint, the two are not even remotely similar.

28 days/weeks later aren't zombie films by a long shot, they're disease outbreak films (known as the rage-virus throughout the films).

In the source material for I am legend the antagonists were better described as vampires.

Sure but this is largely irrelevant to the actual point that was originally being presented as that was a dig at running zeds not being general lore. I think that there are more than enough examples of running zombies that this is a silly objection and would even say that the trend seems to favor faster zeds.

Personally I think that the 'traditional' shambling zed is one of the worst abortions of horror antagonists ever created. They just are not scary. Run into a zed - walk away. A horde, walk away briskly. Any antagonist that can be defeated with a loud radio surrounded with a few sharp sticks is an extremely lame antagonist. Now, running zeds is another story entirely - THAT is a foe.

The 1954 book "I am legend" is the source of the material that the Will Smith Movie adapted. Personally I like the Charlton Heston version but the Vincent Price version also has some merit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)

The book was better than all 3 movie versions, though they were more vampires than zombies. The Vincent Price movie is the closest to the book. The Will smith version missed the entire freaking point of the book.

Shovels and Fireaxes are once again designated as tools and not as bladed weapons so I'm pretty sure the spears will be better as spears all around than the shovels. I'll have to give it a test though to see. The shovel shouldn't be better than a spear so if it turns out to be I'll let Madmole know as he works on balancing.

Really!?

I always thought Gazz had that...

All in all a quite balanced system has been proposed for the use of tools as weapons over the past few pages.

To summarize :

The tool will deal a significant amount of damage, useful when surprised.

The tool will drain a significant amount of stamina, a short-term solution only.

The tool will degrade quicker, it's not designed as a weapon.

The tool may become stuck in the target, using a tool as a weapon has a chance of disarming you.

It wouldn't take a huge amount of work to implement, the basic mechanics are all in place elsewhere such as the sticky arrows system. The rest is just balancing.

All in all a quite balanced system has been proposed for the use of tools as weapons over the past few pages.

How would it be if tools basically only have a small entity damage but a high stun chance or some knock back. If you are surprised by zombies you have the chance to change to a weapon. These elements are already implemented in the game so that it would not be necessary to adjust anything in the code.

How would it be if tools basically only have a small entity damage but a high stun chance or some knock back. If you are surprised by zombies you have the chance to change to a weapon. These elements are already implemented in the game so that it would not be necessary to adjust anything in the code.

That would certainly be an easier way of doing it.

I may be wrong but that might already be implemented. I may have just been very lucky while mining though.

Don't be too optimistic

I mean, they are adding a ♥♥♥♥ ton of content that wasn't planned from the beginning and they are trying to launch experimental with less bugs as possible... so they can take all the time they want. :D

I'm really missing Madmole, I need a dose of Madmoleness in my day.

STEAM REPORTS: roughly 8400 PLAYERS IN WORLD playing 7d2d ATM

https://steamdb.info/app/251570/history/

WORLD POPULATION:

Roughly 7.7 Billion people Alive

Questions of the DAY:

1. How close is A18 from being released to Bring some of the World Population back to 7d2d?

2. A17 everyone seemd to enjoy that nice little progression bar showing % of it being done.

can we not at least have that bar back?

STEAM REPORTS: roughly 8400 PLAYERS IN WORLD playing 7d2d ATM

https://steamdb.info/app/251570/history/

WORLD POPULATION:

Roughly 7.7 Billion people Alive

Questions of the DAY:

1. How close is A18 from being released to Bring some of the World Population back to 7d2d?

2. A17 everyone seemd to enjoy that nice little progression bar showing % of it being done.

can we not at least have that bar back?

I want Rolands Emojis back.

This is just rather funny. From a programming standpoint, the two are not even remotely similar.

I mean, adding the mechanic of sticky weapons would take a lot of balancing and animation work, and you'd need to figure out when it's appropriate to get them stuck, but for the purposes of a crappy mod, a pickaxe stuck in a zombie only needs to be different from an arrow stuck only in a zombie in that it has a different model.

Sure but this is largely irrelevant to the actual point that was originally being presented as that was a dig at running zeds not being general lore. I think that there are more than enough examples of running zombies that this is a silly objection and would even say that the trend seems to favor faster zeds.

Personally I think that the 'traditional' shambling zed is one of the worst abortions of horror antagonists ever created. They just are not scary. Run into a zed - walk away. A horde, walk away briskly. Any antagonist that can be defeated with a loud radio surrounded with a few sharp sticks is an extremely lame antagonist. Now, running zeds is another story entirely - THAT is a foe.

You have to take into consideration when these were first observed on film--- quite along time ago and it made an impact..

over the many years of upgrades in movie technology with special effects and just the plain inundation of countless horror movies. People have become jaded. But when the 'slow shamble zombies first made an appearance - people were spooked - and Ill bet if you actually ran into a shambling, slow- skin falling off, putrid undead person-- if they were real.. I don't think you would be so Bold in your reaction like above.

But in game terms.... I agree- not too scary.

You have to take into consideration when these were first observed on film--- quite along time ago and it made an impact..

over the many years of upgrades in movie technology with special effects and just the plain inundation of countless horror movies. People have become jaded. But when the 'slow shamble zombies first made an appearance - people were spooked - and Ill bet if you actually ran into a shambling, slow- skin falling off, putrid undead person-- if they were real.. I don't think you would be so Bold in your reaction like above.

But in game terms.... I agree- not too scary.

You can run away pretty easily tho!

Archived