That Other Week Madmole Went Away

Onarr

Its more of a random walk speed than what I would call running. Its enough to make it interesting and get more zombies around you, not turning guys into full on sprinting zombies. Its very rare to see a guy take off running.

We decide the lore not you. We're not selling "The walking dead" zombie game, where people would expect them to always walk, we're creating our own zombie game with our own lore. 28 days later and dawn of the dead are much better inspiration than the walking dead IMO, for horror and gaming purposes.

dont they run in world war Z too?

Well, i've played in an underground bunker in PVP, i solve this problem having a reinforced block of steel/concrete with a claim block and a ♥♥♥♥ ton of spikes, with all my forges inside (this block was located at 300 meters of my hidden bunker). So screamers when that way and die, players didn't even bother in breaking it, and in the bloodmoon horde I fight inside another concrete base designed to melee zombies from the inside.

With your Engineering skills i'm sure you can do it 10 times better than me, but you have to try the new alpha first :)

the thing is, we didn't even use claim blocks for bunkers . why? well simple, they are useless, since they emit a big ass annoying sound everywhere on its radius, revealing that there's a base underground, so it was simply better to not use any claim blocks.

Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, Zombielands, 28 weeks later, I am Legend (technically not a zombie), Resident Evil, the Last of Us, Dying Light, COD, CS zombie mode, Dead Island....

28 days/weeks later aren't zombie films by a long shot, they're disease outbreak films (known as the rage-virus throughout the films).

In the source material for I am legend the antagonists were better described as vampires.

Please read the final post of the clean thread. There is no use in being redundant. If you want to only read Madmole's posts then click on his name and go back through his posts but the dev diary has mostly stayed on topic while he has been active daily and he is updating the OP of this thread so.....yeah.

I can't wait till Alpha 18 so I can see the following in game.

Primitive Spear

Iron Spear

Steel Spear

Then compare them to the shovel spears.

Stone shovel

Iron shovel

Steel shovel

Other than the difference of the spear being thrown, I would really like to know which would be the best melee weapon.

Below is a link to what I have discovered about the shovel being used as a weapon. I call it Shovel spears.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?85897-Shovel-spears&highlight=shovel+spears

I can't wait till Alpha 18 so I can see the following in game.

Primitive Spear

Iron Spear

Steel Spear

Then compare them to the shovel spears.

Stone shovel

Iron shovel

Steel shovel

Other than the difference of the spear being thrown, I would really like to know which would be the best melee weapon.

Below is a link to what I have discovered about the shovel being used as a weapon. I call it Shovel spears.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?85897-Shovel-spears&highlight=shovel+spears

Shovels and Fireaxes are once again designated as tools and not as bladed weapons so I'm pretty sure the spears will be better as spears all around than the shovels. I'll have to give it a test though to see. The shovel shouldn't be better than a spear so if it turns out to be I'll let Madmole know as he works on balancing.

Shovels and Fireaxes are once again designated as tools and not as bladed weapons so I'm pretty sure the spears will be better as spears all around than the shovels. I'll have to give it a test though to see. The shovel shouldn't be better than a spear so if it turns out to be I'll let Madmole know as he works on balancing.

Oh, come on Roland. Really? Your talking about a Zombie apocalypse here. People are going to be using whatever they can to survive and to use as a weapon.

They aren't going to be like. Well this ax here is just a tool so I am going to keep using this knife instead.

Think about it. You wake up an a world were you have these corpus walking the streets in mobs.

The sounds they make, the smell of rotting flesh, the fact that they would be dead but not. Most of all they don't want to end up getting infected. The last thing you want is to get up close to em and getting there gore all over you. Anyone facing that would be scared spit less

People are going to want the longest reach and keep away from them.

Trust me, if it came down to it. You could drive a shovel or an ax through it's skull if you had to. They are not going to be having time forging spears. No they would make them out of scrap or sheet metal if they did.

Why is it that you want to limit the player's creativity and freedom anyway?

Seems that the only strategy that's applied here is the same with the bow and everything else. Nerf. Nerf this and nerf that.

Don't believe me. Try taking a shovel or better yet an ax and smash a mannequin with that. I guarantee that you will smash it up a lot faster than with some spear which is more likely to get stuck it it than the others, making is useless. Better yet, get an ax and chop some wood. I'v split a lot of logs growing up. Watched the wood fly apart, I can only imagine what that would do to the human body.

The main thing is the wider surface contact of the blade's edge. One good hit can do a lot of damage. A spear won't do that much damage against a zombie unless you get the brain. But an ax or shovel will do a lot of damage and takes less skill.

The spear relies on puncture were as the ax or shovel can relive on both that and blunt forced trauma. So you don't need a direct hit to kill as the force of the blow may crush the skull, sending fragments into the brain.

If anything, these two tools should be even more effective than a spear.

Sorry if this is too graphic.

But maybe you should see a bit of this movie just to get the feel of it. Watch first few minuts of this just to remind yourself of the fear.

That and that tools were used as weapons.

28 days/weeks later aren't zombie films by a long shot, they're disease outbreak films (known as the rage-virus throughout the films).

In the source material for I am legend the antagonists were better described as vampires.

As if rage virus was somehow far from zombies. You could call it.. More realistic zombies?

Yeah, wasn't really sure about I am legend. Thanks for clarifing!

Oh, come on Roland. Really? Your talking about a Zombie apocalypse here. People are going to be using whatever they can to survive and to use as a weapon.

This is also a game, which needs to be balanced in order to be fun. No one would use clubs or other meele if you can have tools that serve as weapons too, and save you a slot in your toolbelt as well.

As if rage virus was somehow far from zombies. You could call it.. More realistic zombies?

The director of 28 days later was quoted as saying it wasn't a zombie movie, probably to avoid the backlash from zombie fans.

A zombie is, by most definitions, someone who has died and been reanimated. The infected in 28 days never died.

The 1954 book "I am legend" is the source of the material that the Will Smith Movie adapted. Personally I like the Charlton Heston version but the Vincent Price version also has some merit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)

This is also a game, which needs to be balanced in order to be fun. No one would use clubs or other meele if you can have tools that serve as weapons too, and save you a slot in your toolbelt as well.

How would choosing to only use tools as weapons make it not fun?

The director of 28 days later was quoted as saying it wasn't a zombie movie, probably to avoid the backlash from zombie fans.

A zombie is, by most definitions, someone who has died and been reanimated. The infected in 28 days never died.

886176310_zombamp225ci.thumb.jpg.e1301153147e2b994b890bf12ff47520.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The 1954 book "I am legend" is the source of the material that the Will Smith Movie adapted. Personally I like the Charlton Heston version but the Vincent Price version also has some merit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)

Thank you for info. To be honest, did not know much about the movie and literally nothing about the source material :)

Not in the original book they don't.

Massively deviating from the original source material really annoyed a lot of fans. The only thing the book and the film share is a title.

Yeah indeed. The movie should not have been named after the book. The book is awesome imho.

How would choosing to only use tools as weapons make it not fun?

Historically accurate then? If shovels and axes (ones used for chopping trees) are such good weapons why did warriors not use them? Instead they used spears, clubs (maul), bows and swords.

I would also guess that balance/challenge is the other reason. Having only 8 slots with the need to choose your weapons + tools causes the use of at least two slots vs one?

Historically accurate then? If shovels and axes (ones used for chopping trees) are such good weapons why did warriors not use them? Instead they used spears, clubs (maul), bows and swords.

I would also guess that balance/challenge is the other reason. Having only 8 slots with the need to choose your weapons + tools causes the use of at least two slots vs one?

Good questions.

Why? Because they were fighting against other people.

Shoot or stab a person in a vital area (even one time) and they go down. Do that to a zombie and it will barely notice.

Heck, stab or shoot a person even in a non vital area and they will still most likely still go down.

Have you seen the movie Re-kill? It was a movie about fighting zombies using conventional tactics. This was a disastrous tactic as weapons and armor were used in the worst way possible. Wasting hundreds of rounds on body shots. Armor not covering areas that could be bit and even slowed there movement of the troops. It was total crap.

Tools were made to break apart or chop through wood and stone and break ground. They also have more wider area of effect meaning that they can damage a wider area than something like a spear or arrow that was made to pierce.

Now if you had a war ax or sword, that would be very effective, when slashing. But those aren't in the game.

I could stab a zombie all day long with a spear and it would do little damage, unless I managed to pierce there brain. But I could crush it's rib-cage with a few sharp thrust of a shovel very easily. It is also more damaging to the skull. Dropping the zombie. I don't have to be as accurate in my aim as i would with a piercing weapon.

You will find that it's easier to hit and smash a punkin with a shovel or ax than with a spear which may just graze or even miss.

To sum it all up tools/weapons that do area of effect are more effective at killing zombies than once that punch deep, unless you pierce the brain. Like the bow or spear.

As for the second part. I am sure that people can find something to put in those 8 slots besides tools and weapons like badges, food, water, flashlight, torch, and a whole host of building blocks and so on.

But what I don't understand is why we need to be forced to carry weapons when tools could do the job just fine. I say we give the player options and allow them to choose what they want to do with them. Fight as they want and do what they want. :)

Archived