Microphone not working, run out of ideas, please help

Tetrameth

Having issues with the voice chat system, doesn't work at all. I have googled it as much as possible to try and diagnose issue to no avail.

1. Microphone works in windows (shows sound level meter bouncing and also plays back speech)

2. Microphone works in discord (shows sound level meter bouncing and also plays back speech)

3. Friend and I are friends in steam

4. Friend and I are 'allies' in multiplayer game

5. Voice is enabled in 7d settings

6. Push to talk 'mic icon' shows up in game when we press it

7. Friend and I are 'in party' in multiplayer game

8. Friend and I are right next to each other when we are speaking in game

9. Microphone is NOT muted with hardware switch

In the multiplayer tab (the tab where you can send party/ally invite, show # of kills etc) the microphones both show up as greyed out, not sure if this is how its supposed to be and nothing we do seems to be able to change this.

completely puzzled

edit: multiplayer tab, meaning the player screen (it's 'i' by default)

Almost every time I have this problem, it's because the sound system is looking at the wrong input. On Linux you can easily use the Pulse Audio panel to see what input it is listening to, and change it to the active input. I use a webcam microphone, for example, and the sound system insists on defaulting to the internal sound card microphone input. I change its input to my webcam microphone, and it works.

I have no idea how to do this in Windows, sorry.

FWIW, we now use Discord for chat because it works so well and is not game dependent. The game can crash, but chat still works.

Is it a USB plug or 3.5mm jack? USB plugs on headsets are dumb and need to stop existing... too many issues with them.

Out of curiosity though, why can't you just disable the in-game voice feature and use discord like most ppl? At least with discord, you have better control over the incoming and outgoing sounds, and if you happen to crash out of the game, you can still talk to ppl.

Almost every time I have this problem, it's because the sound system is looking at the wrong input. On Linux you can easily use the Pulse Audio panel to see what input it is listening to, and change it to the active input. I use a webcam microphone, for example, and the sound system insists on defaulting to the internal sound card microphone input. I change its input to my webcam microphone, and it works.

I have no idea how to do this in Windows, sorry.

FWIW, we now use Discord for chat because it works so well and is not game dependent. The game can crash, but chat still works.

The correct input is being used by windows, the sound level meter is moving, and when testing the microphone with the 'voice feedback' button, I can hear my voice coming through my headphones without a hitch. (also mic works fine in discord)

Is it a USB plug or 3.5mm jack? USB plugs on headsets are dumb and need to stop existing... too many issues with them.

Out of curiosity though, why can't you just disable the in-game voice feature and use discord like most ppl? At least with discord, you have better control over the incoming and outgoing sounds, and if you happen to crash out of the game, you can still talk to ppl.

Definitely a 3.5mm jack (I also cant see the point in a USB for something as simple as audio)

Also regarding discord, whilst I have it and it works fine and I also know its benefits far outweigh its cost, my friend does not have it and is sadly unwilling/able to install it.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe try turning off "exclusive mode" in the driver.

For Win10 thats: Settings/Sound/Device Properties/Additional Device Properties.

I do not have this option in the 'Additional Device Properties' section you mention.

The correct input is being used by windows, the sound level meter is moving, and when testing the microphone with the 'voice feedback' button, I can hear my voice coming through my headphones without a hitch. (also mic works fine in discord)

That doesn't mean the 7D client is using it. Windows can use what it want, and so will the client - regardless of what Windows is using.

I don't see where you can select audio input in-game. It might use whatever Steam is using, it might use what Windows defaults to, or it might be using whatever it feels like using (hopefully the first or second). One of the TFPs who know for sure might be able to answer that question.

FWIW - we tried voice in 7D but it was just too buggy. That was back in A14 or A15 days. Steam chat was not much better. But Discord got it right the first time and always work, so I encourage all my players to use Discord.

Definitely a 3.5mm jack (I also cant see the point in a USB for something as simple as audio)

Also regarding discord, whilst I have it and it works fine and I also know its benefits far outweigh its cost, my friend does not have it and is sadly unwilling/able to install it.

If the mic works in Discord but not in-game, then it's one of 2 things. Either your friend has mic receive in-game turned down all the way or there's an issue with the game files at your end. Maybe also check your Steam settings to make sure mic is enabled. I doubt it would affect in-game settings, but no harm in trying.

If the mic works with one thing, then it should work with everything.

For the record, I have not actually tested the in-game mic in years, so unless someone here can confirm it isn't a global issue, there is a possibility that everyone has the issue.

Another option would be to just use Steam's voice call feature, then run the game. Only problem is Steam's call feature is very unstable and Steam is too lazy to fix anything even though there's forced updates all the time.

Possible Fix If Your Running Windows 10

In windows 10 there is a option under Settings / Privacy / Microphone / Allow apps to access your microphone.

Make sure this is set to [On]

Also check just below that setting.

Allow desktop apps to access your microphone.

I made this mistake once and i was attepmting to figure this out for entire weekend with not luck untill i figured out above fixed my issue.

Fingers crossed this helps you out some how. ;)

Possible Fix If Your Running Windows 10

In windows 10 there is a option under Settings / Privacy / Microphone / Allow apps to access your microphone.

Also check just below that setting.

Allow desktop apps to access your microphone.

I made this mistake once and i was attepmting to figure this out for entire weekend with not luck untill i figured out above fixed my issue.

Fingers crossed this helps you out some how. ;)

Yep, already been in here, and everything is already turned on

If the mic works in Discord but not in-game, then it's one of 2 things. Either your friend has mic receive in-game turned down all the way or there's an issue with the game files at your end. Maybe also check your Steam settings to make sure mic is enabled. I doubt it would affect in-game settings, but no harm in trying.

If the mic works with one thing, then it should work with everything.

For the record, I have not actually tested the in-game mic in years, so unless someone here can confirm it isn't a global issue, there is a possibility that everyone has the issue.

Another option would be to just use Steam's voice call feature, then run the game. Only problem is Steam's call feature is very unstable and Steam is too lazy to fix anything even though there's forced updates all the time.

Yep, already been through the whole steam thing, and its enabled in there.

I am gonna just write it off and get him to use discord. As much as I love finding the solution to a problem, some problems are just more trouble than they are worth.

Thanks to everyone for your idea's though, your efforts are much appreciated !

Archived