How do I generate a 16K and higher sized maps for SP?

Cadamier

I don't think standard RWG from the client will let you create a 16K world, I think the only options are 4K and 8K.

To create a 16K world, you need a 16K template. The easiest way is to use Nitrogen to pre-generate a 16K world. Copy that to your GeneratedWorlds directory. Then, when you go into the game and select NEW GAME, you will see this as an available world, and it will have a size of 16384. Nitrogen will give you a far better world than Vanilla RWG will.

Another way is to create the world in a server, and copy it to your client, at which point it will be available.

Where did you find something saying everything is in the registry?

Theres a file - i think its in the user folder (user\x\7daystodie\) or something like that... Probably an INI file that says everythings in the registry lol

Nitrogen!

Well it was lauded to be a new thing pre A17 - for A17, but then things went wrong or something and it seems to have been 'disabled' for now. Since I don't see it in the registry I think its been hardcoded to not be an option... I seem to have it in my mind that it was... Could be wrong.

Theres a file - i think its in the user folder (user\x\7daystodie\) or something like that... Probably an INI file that says everythings in the registry lol

Nitrogen!

Well it was lauded to be a new thing pre A17 - for A17, but then things went wrong or something and it seems to have been 'disabled' for now. Since I don't see it in the registry I think its been hardcoded to not be an option... I seem to have it in my mind that it was... Could be wrong.

16k is still doable in 17.4, you just need the ram to do so. Anything higher is locked out. (in vanilla 7D2D game).

Not sure about if Nitrogen can make them bigger or not, haven't really dived into it that deep yet.

The maximum in Nitrogen is 64k ... Mostly a safety bound so that you dont accidentally create such a huge world that it clogs up your harddrive.

But I doubt that even good systems have the RAM to create maps bigger than 20k.

Possible to create huge worlds ... its up to 7DtD to want to load them.

I could speed up creating HUGE maps a lot more. But the game relies on single image files (biome, splat).

Writing to a png cant be really split into segments, so thats one of the limits why lots of RAM is required.

If the game would allow chunked imports, creating a lot larger maps would be possible in a timely manner.

But I understand that this would add complexity to the game, without too much payoff.

You can use Nitrogen to generate a map bigger than 16K, but neither the server nor the client will load it. There is a hard coded limit of 16K.

I have used Nitrogen to create a 20 K map. It took a while but did not take that much memory. Haven't bothered with anything bigger cause like I said, the game itself will not load anything bigger than 16K.

Under Linux, the file UserOptions.ini says:

This file is no longer used for overriding settings. All 7 Days To Die settings can be

found and changed in the file:

~/.config/unity3d/The Fun Pimps/7 Days To Die/prefs

You can directly open the file from the game launcher on the tools tab.

On a Windows system, the file says:

This file is no longer used for overriding settings. All 7 Days To Die settings can be

found and changed in the registry under the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\The Fun Pimps\7 Days To Die

You can directly open RegEdit on that key from the game launcher on the tools tab.

<sigh> Why do people do this? The Windows registry is a horrible kludge and one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes. FWIW as a software developer, when I worked on Windows systems, I refused to store stuff in the registry. But I digress....

Neither the prefs file nor the registry contain information on world size. That is found in rwgmixer.xml, which is found under the steam 7d game install directory:

... steamapps/common/7 Days To Die/Data/Config

However, setting the world sizes there to 16384 doesn't work, the game ignores it.

AFAIK you can't directly generate a 16K world from the client without first creating a 16K template (like with Nitrogen) and putting it in your GeneratedWorlds directory. I know that works because I've done it many times.

Archived