How to MP with friend with no in-game time passing when no one is playing

grogo67

OK, the title is confusing, I didn't know how to word it briefly so here goes...

I am not at all familiar with multiplayer. I hopped on PVE servers a couple times and I hated it, here's why... I am at best a mediocre player. When I join an established server I'm dying a lot because for example I just want to get a cooking pot my 1st night and there are already ferals and irradiateds in the house because the server is on day 50. I can't imagine being able to survive my first horde night... I also don't get to play everyday. It may be a week between playing opportunities and time on the server is passing. What would be the best option for me and a friend to play from time to time when our schedules match up and not have game time pass between game nights? Is this what P2P is for?

If people are on, time will pass. As soon as everyone is off, time pauses. It doesn't matter if it is PVE or PVP. If you have a powerful enough system, you can host a game while sharing with a friend. I did this for a while, but the game isn't optimized very well yet. I ended up just building a system to host my own server at my home. It took a little bit of configuration with port forwarding and such, but relatively easy. It doesn't require a license to host a game on a dedicated box. That way, anyone of my friends can hop on and don't require me to be there. Of course, now you're back to your original dilemma.

Are you playing a modded game? I thought the zombies went by your game stage still. If so you shouldn't be getting ferals your first day.

Unless you spawn in the wasteland biome that is..

No, I only play vanilla.

Oh ok. I was looking for some frame of reference. AFAIK only RH has zombies of certain types show as time passes no matter what your gamestage (if I am correct). I also didn't know they showed up in wasteland no matter your gamestage. Still learning. :)

Oh ok. I was looking for some frame of reference. AFAIK only RH has zombies of certain types show as time passes no matter what your gamestage (if I am correct). I also didn't know they showed up in wasteland no matter your gamestage. Still learning. :)

I'm still learning too. The 2 times I was serious about trying to play on a server...one was on day 50 or so. After finishing my beginner quests I ran into ferals in the first house I tried to clear and on another server about day 100 plus I was almost killed by a feral outside the trader. Next to that trader was a graveyard that had an irradiated wight sleeper. Both of these were in a forest biome and the servers were running vanilla.

With RWG, unless you are with a group of higher gamestage people, you should only spawn zombies in a POI appropriate to your particular gamestage or gets calculated based upon the group and it's overall gamestage.

There are two-and-a-half options for you:

First is the p2p option, already mentioned and if it works, nothing can beat it.

But if it doesn't work so well (for example if the other player has stuttering problems, happened in my case), there are also managed servers you can rent. Costs a monthly fee and often the service isn't really great. But on the whole it works.

A third possibility is to rent a barebone server, but that is only an option if you have or want some knowledge in server management.

I'm still learning too. The 2 times I was serious about trying to play on a server...one was on day 50 or so. After finishing my beginner quests I ran into ferals in the first house I tried to clear and on another server about day 100 plus I was almost killed by a feral outside the trader. Next to that trader was a graveyard that had an irradiated wight sleeper. Both of these were in a forest biome and the servers were running vanilla.

I should have mentioned I am still learning and I have 6258 hours in lol. My defect is I play so often with changing mods that my game is constantly different (unless playing on someones server). I love the fact we can tailor the game to our style.

Archived