Amazing Gimmick. Well done.

Wyrda78

@Roland just because i am curious: How do you build bigger bases without nerdpoling? For most of my bases building an actual scaffold that i tear down afterwards would need a seperate scaffold to build the scaffold i need to build my base...

Ladders, doesn't matter it's boring af and takes too long. Ladders, nothing else is acceptable. :p

Immersion is always subjective. It may seem hilarious to you but to me using ladders feels better than nerdpoling. For one, a slower less effective way of getting to higher places is exactly what makes it less of an exploit than nerdpoling. I agree that it probably is akin to casting a spell but since the game doesn't support climbing up surfaces that probably could be climbed in real life, using ladders is the lesser evil imo.

If nerdpoling feels better to you then do it and you can laugh at me for feeling better about ladders for my own game and using a mod that disallows nerdpoling. It is all about finding a balance that feels right for yourself. The OP hates the false floors as they are and I love them the way they are. Different strokes for different folks.

Madmole has already stated unequivocally that nerdpoling will always be a part of the vanilla game and I have Sphereii's mod that removes it so everyone can feel copacetic.

I will say that in the situation described in this thread-- falling into a pit of zombies-- making an escape by means of ladders or nerdpoling feels like great fun and in the moment you really don't care if it was an exploit or not which is why I disable nerdpoling because I would probably use it and I do think of it as an exploit because of its speed and ease. Ladders are just tough enough and also allow zombies to climb after me if I'm not careful that I feel okay about them personally. Someone else who is more of a purist wouldn't use either.

Sorry if it sounded like I was laughing at you, no it's just... I can't help it but it's ridiculous, but I'm not saying it's your fault, of course it's not. I just think there should be a better way, maybe one that is acceptable for everyone.

@Roland just because i am curious: How do you build bigger bases without nerdpoling? For most of my bases building an actual scaffold that i tear down afterwards would need a seperate scaffold to build the scaffold i need to build my base...

I use frames as scaffolding. I just don't nerdpole on them. I don't use ladders when building because then you would have to chop them up. It really isn't that bad doing diagonals instead of vertical columns. I'm not advocating this for anyone else. It is just my own personal immersion dilemma. One of the things I love about 7 Days to Die over Minecraft is gravity and physics and its consequences. Nerdpoling fits for Minecraft because there is no gravity, structural integrity, or physics to speak of. Nerdpoling doesn't fit for this game in my opinion.

For me, building with structural integrity, gravity, and physics is more fun and challenging than without and I lump nerdpoling in with that. But I know others don't which is why I suggested the OP go ahead and carry frames on his belt to nerdpole out of bad situations.

Ladders, doesn't matter it's boring af and takes too long. Ladders, nothing else is acceptable. :p

I don't use ladders when building. I use wood frames as they are perfect for building. But you can use them as scaffolding quite effectively without nerdpoling. It isn't boring nor does it take too long for me. I'm sure there are some that hate the fact that cement has to dry or that frames have to be upgraded or that structural integrity matters and feel that those things cause building to be boring. But just as I feel building is enhanced by those things I think that playing a mod that restricts me from nerdpoling is fun and challenging.

Sorry if it sounded like I was laughing at you, no it's just... I can't help it but it's ridiculous, but I'm not saying it's your fault, of course it's not. I just think there should be a better way, maybe one that is acceptable for everyone.

There is a better way. Modding. That way you can nerdpole and I can't and neither of us has to care how the other plays because our individual game worlds never collide.

Oh i read that wrong, i thought you had a mod running that doesn´t allow it at all. You just can´t do a pole. Ok. Not my cup of tea, would take too much RL time to build for me, i need my nerdpoling to be quicker, i like big bases. I could handle the time loss in game tough, that´s just a matter of good planning.

Also on topic: Those floors are nice. Had some epic moments with them in MP+Teamspeak. They should be random, so you never know in wich floor or house they come at you.

I have noticed "most" floors that give way look a bit different than the surround floors. If you are keen to your surroundings, you won't fall through much. One way to identify bad floor squares is to place a wood frame block on them. They will fall through if I am not mistaken.

Oh i read that wrong, i thought you had a mod running that doesn´t allow it at all. You just can´t do a pole. Ok. Not my cup of tea, would take too much RL time to build for me, i need my nerdpoling to be quicker, i like big bases. I could handle the time loss in game tough, that´s just a matter of good planning.

Also on topic: Those floors are nice. Had some epic moments with them in MP+Teamspeak. They should be random, so you never know in wich floor or house they come at you.

Yes, the mod does not allow it at all. In point of fact: no block can be placed in the game if you are airborne. Pure and simple. :)

I feel that those traps have potential, but they are badly implemented. There should be a way for player to avoid falling to their death - warnings. For example, if you walk on a block neighbouring with the fake floor, it will play sound like squaking boards. Or perhaps there will be parts that show in how bad shape the floor is.

Yeah level designers can easily kill you by putting such traps in their PoIs, but those deaths feel cheap and undeserved. It is on same level as dyeing to a bug. There is simply no justification to have them the way they are. And stating, that you can nerpole your way up...yeah using an exploit to avoid your death...that is load of steaming ********.

By the way, there are such trap floors, that send you plummeting to instant death. Those are the worst.

I enjoy the trapped floors with indications, whether obvious or with minor differences in the textures, but there are a few without any indication and I agree that those are bad game design, especially when not even full stealth points will stop your fall noise from waking up the sleepers you fell in the middle of and it becomes an instant death if you've reached mid-game+ and everything is feral.

I've mostly given up on following the devs' intended routes through PoIs and gone back to cheesy wood frame/ramp schemes, partly from this kind of trap and partly because the devs' route requires you to frequently unstealth and jump over obstacles - which will wake up the whole house, and will usually kill you at a late game stage/high difficulty if you don't bail immediately - unless you take out your axe/pick and destroy all the windows, window frames, door frames, partial holes in floors, etc. and replace them with wood frames/ramps that allow you to progress without leaving stealth.

I still greatly enjoy the minidungeons, they just can't be played as intended without aggroing half a dozen ferals in an enclosed space. Even with frame cheese, it's a feat staying alive in mid/late game on highest or second-highest difficulty, especially when you turn a corner and have a split second to fire or GTFO before the feral fully animates and you end up sprinting out with the whole awakened feral house on your ass.

I enjoy the trapped floors with indications, whether obvious or with minor differences in the textures, but there are a few without any indication and I agree that those are bad game design, especially when not even full stealth points will stop your fall noise from waking up the sleepers you fell in the middle of and it becomes an instant death if you've reached mid-game+ and everything is feral.

I've mostly given up on following the devs' intended routes through PoIs and gone back to cheesy wood frame/ramp schemes, partly from this kind of trap and partly because the devs' route requires you to frequently unstealth and jump over obstacles - which will wake up the whole house, and will usually kill you at a late game stage/high difficulty if you don't bail immediately - unless you take out your axe/pick and destroy all the windows, window frames, door frames, partial holes in floors, etc. and replace them with wood frames/ramps that allow you to progress without leaving stealth.

I still greatly enjoy the minidungeons, they just can't be played as intended without aggroing half a dozen ferals in an enclosed space. Even with frame cheese, it's a feat staying alive in mid/late game on highest or second-highest difficulty, especially when you turn a corner and have a split second to fire or GTFO before the feral fully animates and you end up sprinting out with the whole awakened feral house on your ass.

Yeah, if you want to go stealth build for raiding PoIs, you have to use ramp frames, which is really killing it for me. Would love to be stealthy ninja, but the exact thing you stated just completely destroys it.

I don't use ladders when building. I use wood frames as they are perfect for building.

Cheater! You must use ladders instead, because it's more challenging and more fun that way!

There is a better way. Modding. That way you can nerdpole and I can't and neither of us has to care how the other plays because our individual game worlds never collide.

Modding can only do so much and Sphereii and couple of others can't do everything by themselves.

Cheater! You must use ladders instead, because it's more challenging and more fun that way!

Guess I’m a pumpkin eater.

Modding can only do so much and Sphereii and couple of others can't do everything by themselves.

What? I just stated that the mod is simple and effective. With it active you cannot place a block if you are in the air. Period. End of story. Sphereii already did it. It works great. Modding didn’t do only so much in this case— it did it all.

One of the things I love about 7 Days to Die over Minecraft is gravity and physics and its consequences. Nerdpoling fits for Minecraft because there is no gravity, structural integrity, or physics to speak of. Nerdpoling doesn't fit for this game in my opinion.

I listed two obvious reasons for anti-nerdpole feelings, but I hadn't thought about immersion. However, if that is the main reason why you dislike it, I don't think that mod handles it the way you would want it to. I could still build a 1 x 1 column from bedrock to sky without using nerdpoling to assist in making my column.

Well keep it to yourself please and thank you. The mod has been working great for me and I’ve no mind to start looking for workarounds and exploits.

lol, well... it's not an exploit. I am just pointing out that there still exists the possibility to make immersion-breaking columns.

If the goal was immersion, the blocks would need vertical SI. I don't know the exact numbers, but let's say steel allows 10 blocks horizontally before it collapses, then it would stand to reason that you could probably stack around 20 steel blocks in a single column without it toppling over. 2x2 might be able to do 40 say.

I doubt they would put something like this in the game, I suppose you never know though.

Hey a trap and I fell for it, haha yeah, great.

5 mins later: Oh yeah, that trap again, yawn.

Great way to spend time "developing" those awesome traps you only fall for once.

But hey, the children that made the game got their giggle, which is what matters.

It's just all so sad and childish... urgh

You you know what I love? Losing 10 hours of progress by falling through a floor which had absolutely no indication that it would give way or that it was different from the surrounding floor into a pit full of 20 zombies and no possible way to escape.

Just amazing. Well ♥♥♥♥ing done. Amazing game design. Just die unless you know the ins an outs of all the buildings. ♥♥♥♥ing amazing. Good job.

The have always kinda liked the false floors. When I didnt know they were there it was exciting to fall into one and live. Now granted you died and that sucks but if you make it out it's awesome.

With that being said I understand your anger and thinking about it further i kinda agree they aren't great.

Think about it. It's a cheap death, the game didnt earn it and that's not fair. I would like to see clues, like in some POIs they have that WARNING printed on the wall. That kinda thing should be everywhere.

Also once you know the false floor is there it offers nothing. So first time is a cheap death and after that it offers nothing.

The first time might be a death or it might be awesome as you stated in your first paragraph.

Put a warning or clue on every false floor and what you’ll get is zero chance for any awesome situation to happen.

If people think that knowing where the false floors are becomes boring and stale over time, then knowing what the clues look like will become even more so and sooner because you will always avoid the trap.

You’ll be in a new POI for A18 and walk up the stairs to see “Danger!” written on the wall. Guess what has no chance of happening even one time? Once you know what the clues look like it offers even less than nothing because you won’t even get that potential escape or death moment even the first time.

Earlier this week, my wife and I were looting a POI, clearing up the various cobblestone and concrete sacks. There was one on a hoist, and by coincidence we both simultaneously jumped onto the hoist to dig up the concrete.

The hoist collapsed under our weight and we both fell to the ground and both broke our legs.

It took us a good few minutes to stop laughing, and we and our friend spent the rest of the evening making leg jokes.

Archived