Amazing Gimmick. Well done.

Wyrda78

Like that time there was a bunch of landmines on top of a crane where you couldn't see it

You can in fact see it....I did and avoided it...

My son on the other hand didn't and it was HILARIOUS!!

Great job Fun Pimps in my opinion.

Why would anyone setting a landmine do it in a place and in a way to allow their intended victim a chance to see it and avoid it first? Seems like logical placement to me. The difference is that we get a second and third and fourth chance to come back because it is a game.

Just to expand on this....what about when bandits come out? If they shoot at us from behind cover, try to outflank us when in groups, or shoot at us without whistling or giving some sign they are there when we don’t notice them first — will we get people asking for “fair” bandits?

When the game places obvious clues for the player to notice that is more offensive to immersion than a landmine I didn’t see or a section of flooring that suddenly collapses.

The OP didn’t even die from the fall caused by the floor collapse. He died because he didn’t have ladders or frames on his belt which he, himself, figured he would make sure to have the next time.

I guarantee that if this happens again and, better prepared, the OP manages to narrowly escape death and experiences the adrenaline of extricating himself from the trap successfully he will be smiling at the thrill of it all and the story he’ll be able to tell. Without potential lethality in the game there are no potential thrilling narrow escapes.

Did you read the things I wrote? Go see it yourself and see how obvious it is to you.

Now indeed I will make sure to have frames in my tab to quickpole out of there. I didn't realise I had to be prepared for nonsense gimmicks by the developers.

Umm. I do play this game. I don't just sit here harassing pimp victims.

Well I can't really explain it, but you just "know" the moment you enter an area. I guess if you can say to yourself, "hey, this looks like a good place for a giant hole", it probably is.

Just to expand on this....what about when bandits come out? If they shoot at us from behind cover, try to outflank us when in groups, or shoot at us without whistling or giving some sign they are there when we don’t notice them first — will we get people asking for “fair” bandits?

When the game places obvious clues for the player to notice that is more offensive to immersion than a landmine I didn’t see or a section of flooring that suddenly collapses.

The OP didn’t even die from the fall caused by the floor collapse. He died because he didn’t have ladders or frames on his belt which he, himself, figured he would make sure to have the next time.

I guarantee that if this happens again and, better prepared, the OP manages to narrowly escape death and experiences the adrenaline of extricating himself from the trap successfully he will be smiling at the thrill of it all and the story he’ll be able to tell. Without potential lethality in the game there are no potential thrilling narrow escapes.

So...Can we have a bigger tool belt? I love the additional WTF moments myself, keep it up. I also play dead is dead and enjoy the times where the game throws a curveball at me. Oh, and Roland's Oxp mod with the epic cities mod is fantastic.

I think the OP is partially right about the trapped floors with no indication of collapse is a bit lame. There should always be an indication that the floor may be unstable. But for me, the unstable floors don't bother me nearly as much as those damn invisible land mines in key places that force a cheap death upon you. Like that time there was a bunch of landmines on top of a crane where you couldn't see it and would never consider predicting a landmine placed miles up in the sky like that, but sure enough, instant death the moment you go near it. I don't know if it's still like that as I chose to avoid them forever since then cuz the reward for getting all the way up there sucked anyways.

The first falling floor surprises you, also the first landmine, but then you know about them and play knowing the risk .When i see a wooden floor, i always hit it with my axe to see if it will collapse or not, when i open a door i think about a landmine.

Stop complaining about features most of us like.

Did you read the things I wrote? Go see it yourself and see how obvious it is to you.

Now indeed I will make sure to have frames in my tab to quickpole out of there. I didn't realise I had to be prepared for nonsense gimmicks by the developers.

This comment is why I personally think your complaint doesn't hold much water.

You've been shown an easy way out of the death, in fact, some people complain that its too easy.

Frames, either wooden or rebar, are an essential part of my toolbar - and they're fantastic value at countering unexpected situations like this, or used as defensive emplacements (framing up a doorway I've gone through for example), to get up to a ledge not otherwise reachable, or, as in this case, to escape what might otherwise be a deadly situation.

You've come in to the forums, very angry (at least initially), claiming that it was an unavoidable death, when in fact, it was your lack of preparedness that resulted in the death.

Truly unavoidable deaths are a bad thing, and should never be in the game, but this wasn't one of them.

It's hilarious to read some of the comments here like those that recommend wood frames as a good way of quickly getting out of this kind of situation and it's even funnier when the same people who offered wood frames as a solution previously declared that so called nerd-poling is a bad game mechanic that should be removed from this game. Oh well... :p

In my own defense I said frames or ladders. I use ladders but don’t judge others for nerdpoling. In point of fact my game is modded so that I can’t nerdpole even if I was tempted to do so.

And I’m first to admit that if frames were on my tool belt and I found myself in a pit of zombies I would be very tempted— hence the mod.

It's hilarious to read some of the comments here like those that recommend wood frames as a good way of quickly getting out of this kind of situation and it's even funnier when the same people who offered wood frames as a solution previously declared that so called nerd-poling is a bad game mechanic that should be removed from this game. Oh well... :p

Well, I for one, have no issues with nerd poling, indeed I use it all the time, for example, to get up to the next floor in any of the many half-destroyed city buildings you find.

If they decided to take out nerdpoling, it wouldn't kill me either, I'd just find some other way to prepare for a sudden floor collapse / need to get up a floor level in a building with no steps / etc etc.

Ladders aren't nearly as effective as wood frames when it comes to ways of getting out of such situation and it's even funnier when you pretend that using ladders is some kind of proper way of getting out. First of all, it's just a slower, less effective way of nerd poling, oh and since one of the reasons used to back up the statement that nerd poling is a bad game mechanic is that it's not exactly realistic, I would also love to see you trying to quickly assemble a long ladder from small pieces to get away from any threat in real life. :p

Ladders aren't nearly as effective as wood frames when it comes to ways of getting out of such situation and it's even funnier when you pretend that using ladders is some kind of proper way of getting out. First of all, it's just a slower, less effective way of nerd poling, oh and since one of the reasons used to back up the statement that nerd poling is a bad game mechanic is that it's not exactly realistic, I would also love to see you trying to quickly assemble a long ladder from small pieces to get away from any threat in real life. :p

Immersion is always subjective. It may seem hilarious to you but to me using ladders feels better than nerdpoling. For one, a slower less effective way of getting to higher places is exactly what makes it less of an exploit than nerdpoling. I agree that it probably is akin to casting a spell but since the game doesn't support climbing up surfaces that probably could be climbed in real life, using ladders is the lesser evil imo.

If nerdpoling feels better to you then do it and you can laugh at me for feeling better about ladders for my own game and using a mod that disallows nerdpoling. It is all about finding a balance that feels right for yourself. The OP hates the false floors as they are and I love them the way they are. Different strokes for different folks.

Madmole has already stated unequivocally that nerdpoling will always be a part of the vanilla game and I have Sphereii's mod that removes it so everyone can feel copacetic.

I will say that in the situation described in this thread-- falling into a pit of zombies-- making an escape by means of ladders or nerdpoling feels like great fun and in the moment you really don't care if it was an exploit or not which is why I disable nerdpoling because I would probably use it and I do think of it as an exploit because of its speed and ease. Ladders are just tough enough and also allow zombies to climb after me if I'm not careful that I feel okay about them personally. Someone else who is more of a purist wouldn't use either.

Umm. I do play this game. I don't just sit here harassing pimp victims.

Well I can't really explain it, but you just "know" the moment you enter an area. I guess if you can say to yourself, "hey, this looks like a good place for a giant hole", it probably is.

I didn't say you didn't. I said to see the specific area I described and see how obvious it is to you.

And I did sense it. My spidey sense was tingling. But I looked at the floor and though 'there is no possible way this could be a collapsing floor'. And it shouldn't have been, by all logic.

This isn't even a case of "the devs are placing a realistic degree of unavoidable hazards in the game for immersion". It's that "the devs are creating contrived scenarios by acting on foreknowledge of player actions to create traps and hazards for the said player". That is the problem. And no before you say it, it's not fictitious former Navezgane inhabitants who are crafting these environmental traps.

So now instead of playing in an immersive game where I can make inferences based on consistent internal logic of a gaming world, now I must instead think "how do I get inside the devs' heads to predict how they are going to ♥♥♥♥ me over in this particular instance".

I will say that in the situation described in this thread-- falling into a pit of zombies-- making an escape by means of ladders or nerdpoling feels like great fun and in the moment you really don't care if it was an exploit or not which is why I disable nerdpoling because I would probably use it and I do think of it as an exploit because of its speed and ease. Ladders are just tough enough and also allow zombies to climb after me if I'm not careful that I feel okay about them personally. Someone else who is more of a purist wouldn't use either.

Depending on your gamestage and your difficulty settings neither nerdpoling nor a ladder can help you.

If I fall into such a zombie pit then there are mostly feral and radioactive zombies attacking me. They would immediately smash the wooden frames and I would have no time to attach a ladder. Instead I switch to the AK-47 which I carry with me for emergencies. If I have peace then I can think of how I can get out there again. Often the Fun Pimps have even prepared a way out.

That's an interesting and compelling game play loop you've included. Hitting normal floor tiles, placing frames, going through walls, only walking on furniture like you're playing 'The Floor Is Lava' or doing any number of random things to identify the invisible breakaway blocks salted all around in every other POI.

LBD = Bad; Because it makes players engage in 'gamey'/'unfun' activities to raise skills instead of playing the game dynamically.

Invisible pitfalls = Good; Because it makes players engage in 'gamey'/'unfun' activities to avoid cheesy deaths.

Seriously the "die B)(#$" trap in Dishong Tower (maybe another one of the skyscraper prefabs, been months since I played.) says everything that needs to be said about the mindset of including them in the game. But yeah, sure, the Duke and his invisible Bandits are the ones that have been doing all this insane home improvement all around the game world.

Anyone that has looted skyscrapers in A16 knows all about breakable floor blocks that don't appear any different from other tiles/blocks. Eventually we learned to hit suspect blocks in front of us with our axe to make sure it wasn't going to collapse under our weight. But the first few times! Glorious! We fell down a level, broke our leg, lost most of our health and got attacked by zombies. It was great!

If you are going to play Don't Starve style dead-is-dead, you are going to die. Sooner or later it will happen. Accept that inevitability or don't play dead-is-dead....cause there are a lot of ways to die in 7D, and breakable floor blocks is just one of many...

Don't tell me you actually defend this. Yes I play dead is dead. Why does it matter to you? Even if you don't play dead is dead you shouldn't have to put up with bull♥♥♥♥ deaths. And I do put up with bull♥♥♥♥. I put up with deaths from bugs and lag an innumerable other nonsense things. But this is too far when the developers purposefully do something to kill the player without the player having a reasonable way to counter it.

How am I supposed to know that a solid concrete floor inexplicably has a section that is made out of wood despite looking exactly the same as the surrounding concrete, which will cave into an underground pit? That's right, I'm not. Don't tell me I'm supposed to be able to anticipate bull♥♥♥♥ like this, it's virtually impossible to know. It's a stupid gimmick.

Don't run blindly inside a poi? I always move slowly and you can kinda tell at times when there is trick floors if you listen. if I think its a trick floor I hit it with a fireaxe, they only have 100 hp so if it poofs right away you know its a false floor. That said in a lot of the poi's with these floors you can tell they are there if you look closely. One I fell for was the one where there is a working stiffs crate inside a little hut, yeah, the 2 blocks in front of said crate is a false floor so if you ran in there, your going for a swim. Also everyone of these trap pits ALWAYS has a way out. I've never fallen in one that didn't have a path you can follow to get out.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the false floors, it makes the houses seem real. I think I saw something in the a18 perk video of trap detection (unless I am confused), that may help identify these... I won't take it though, I like the suspense...

Yeah early levels of the perk lets you detect floor traps, which I assume would include the false floors. You still need to pay attention to the status icon though, it just lets you know there is one close but not where exactly it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing where they are helps, but really once you’ve seen one, you realize how obvious they are.

Even so, you should still be prepared for accidents. If you’re not, or don’t want to, there’s really nobody to blame.

Yeah, as I said, in most locations with these its pretty obvious where they are as they are usually textured differently, or its rotated an odd way. Mind you with concrete it'd probally look the same no matter which way it was rotated.

So...Can we have a bigger tool belt? I love the additional WTF moments myself, keep it up. I also play dead is dead and enjoy the times where the game throws a curveball at me. Oh, and Roland's Oxp mod with the epic cities mod is fantastic.

I'd actually like to see the toolbelt upped to 10 slots from the current 8. With how I usually play it'd mean alot less shuffling items between inventory and toolbelt.

This comment is why I personally think your complaint doesn't hold much water.

You've been shown an easy way out of the death, in fact, some people complain that its too easy.

Frames, either wooden or rebar, are an essential part of my toolbar - and they're fantastic value at countering unexpected situations like this, or used as defensive emplacements (framing up a doorway I've gone through for example), to get up to a ledge not otherwise reachable, or, as in this case, to escape what might otherwise be a deadly situation.

You've come in to the forums, very angry (at least initially), claiming that it was an unavoidable death, when in fact, it was your lack of preparedness that resulted in the death.

Truly unavoidable deaths are a bad thing, and should never be in the game, but this wasn't one of them.

I don't keep frames on my toolbar, I got too much on there as it is, but I will admit there has been times I have died when I wish I did have them on there as i'd have lived if I did. I play darkness falls mod mainly now, it has 2-3x the spawn rate of vanilla, you ALWAYS wanna close doors behind you or block them with woodframes or something so your given some advance warning something is coming for you.

Also devs: Please stop it with having every zombie spawned gps to the poi I enter. k thanks, you don't notice this much in vanilla but in any mod where the spawn is increased, you'll always have a conga line of zombies coming from outside everytime you go into a poi, I get you want us to have tense moments, but it gets annoying after a while.

Wood is so easy to come by and frames cost so little to make. I never keep wood or frames on me either, just an axe, so when I fall into a hole or something, I deal with the obvious excessive amounts of zombies, then I just need to look around for like 2 seconds to get my hands on some wood to make the frames and nerd pole back out.

And I did sense it. My spidey sense was tingling. But I looked at the floor and though 'there is no possible way this could be a collapsing floor'. And it shouldn't have been, by all logic.

If you made a steel floor above the ground with just enough structural integrity that it stays in place until you walk on it, you could say the same thing. Problem is, you shouldn’t say the same thing because as long as you cannot see what is holding something up, it is always a possibility that it could collapse.

In this case, you cannot see if something is holding it up... and nothing is. Why not? I guess zombies broke the support.

I didn’t say frames. Wouldn’t matter if I did though as I am not against nerdpoling.

I see only two issues with nerdpoling.

First is that people do it to get to the top of POIs where the good loot is. That is not a problem caused by nerdpoling... that is a problem caused by poor POI design in a game where nerdpoling is possible.

I suppose another issue with nerdpoling is it can make it easy to get into bases in PVP. Again, this is not the fault of nerdpoling. It is the fault of the base builder who built on a PVP server of a game that has nerdpoling without protecting against it.

Haven't been on these forums in awhile but Ive recently gotten the 7DTD itch again. Sadly my save I started over the weekend got corrupted due to a crash unrelated to the game so Im starting from scratch a second time. I will say this though, the floor traps are perfect in my opinion and here is why.

I have played off and on since 7DTD first became available so I have seen both the old and new and I love how the game feels now. In previous alphas I got SOOOO bored with the identical POIs and how indoors was safe pretty much in any POI. The sleepers add some danger but they are also trivial to deal with if you are quiet and stealthy so they add a negligible amount of danger to POIs.

I still fondly remember the first time I logged into A17. I did a navezgane map since I wanted to see how things had changed and I was just floored (no pun intended) at how the pristine town of Diersville was now figuratively speaking, a smoking ruin. The houses all used to be in good repair and the only damage was inflicted by zombies you drew to the area. The towns looked like everyone simply up and left or vanished instead of an actual zombie apocalypse taking place. Its no exaggeration to say my first sight of A17 Diersville was a very emotional one, and it is memorable.

Now, the very first house I go into Im just in awe of how decayed and destroyed it looks. I am just slowly walking through imagining what circumstances could have led to this destruction when the floor cracks and drops me into a basement filled with zombies and I promptly panic and die. I LOVED that. Do I hate dying? Of course, but all I could think was "Wow, I never even saw that coming."

OP, you willingly choose to play a permadeath run and that part is 100% on you. Not saying its the wrong way to play just saying that TFP weren't the ones to cause you to lose your progress. Your decision to play that way is ultimately what cost you those lost hours.

You also state that you don't like creeping through POIs. This goes completely against your goal of surviving IMO. If you are treating the save as permadeath then I would think you would creep around everywhere. Permadeath does not go well with rushing through lootable POIs. To be honest if you want to quickly clear through areas on a permadeath save you really are just asking to be wiped. If this were IRL and you were going into a ruined, half destroyed house, (I know its a game and realism vs fun and all that just hear me out) you would be testing every floorboard and constantly checking for structural problems that could lead to your death. You wouldn't look at those places and say "Lets just hop on in and go to town!"

I tend to think of the rotted floors not as traps, but in most cases they appear to be more like symptoms of the decay and neglect the house as a whole has been through. They almost seem to me like natural sinkholes in a lot of cases, and a sinkhole forming under "concrete" flooring could very well lead to enough structural instability for it to collapse under the right conditions.

Im not saying the game is perfect by any means as there are things I would love to see change as well but the pitfalls and rotted floors completely changed my perspective on the POIs as a whole. I used to be super bored with the houses and buildings and now every time I go through one Im constantly on my toes and ready for things to take a dangerous turn at any moment.

Archived